IGNORED

LJ - Barnsley fan in peace

Redarmy1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

...and that's fine for those that leave for a fee, to re-invest wherever in the club you need it....but Hourihane on a free....or is he an exception to your model?  Asking because I don't have the insight, not being facetious.

Every couple of months we have a meeting with the clubs board members in the summer our owner said something along lines of. We won't break our wage structure to keep him, he's come from Plymouth on a modest wage for a modest fee, he's helped us to promotion and entertained the fans, we've had our moneys worth out of him, and we've helped him become a better player, his success at the club is seen as a great advertisement to other young up and coming hungry players looking for the right club to progress their careers. even though we haven't made money on him from selling him on he's still seen as a success story in what we are trying to do as a club. 

4 hours ago, Rascal said:

Every couple of months we have a meeting with the clubs board members in the summer our owner said something along lines of. We won't break our wage structure to keep him, he's come from Plymouth on a modest wage for a modest fee, he's helped us to promotion and entertained the fans, we've had our moneys worth out of him, and we've helped him become a better player, his success at the club is seen as a great advertisement to other young up and coming hungry players looking for the right club to progress their careers. even though we haven't made money on him from selling him on he's still seen as a success story in what we are trying to do as a club. 

Our model is very similar to yours apart from we can afford to pay the higher wages to keep them to ensure we can attract a fee in the future.

10 hours ago, Rascal said:

up here in Gods own county we've got BBC radio Sheffield, each evening from 18-00 until 19-00 we have a Football phone in live, praise or grumble football heaven, it consists of 4 presenters who take it in turns to hoast the show, these 4 also interview all the local managers on Thursdays, on the morning they go to interview the head coach of Barnsley they ask us fans on Twitter if we've any questions.

A significant difference between Bristol and more or less anywhere in the North is the quality of local radio coverage of football. Praise or Grumble is an excellent show...and a great format for after match discussions.

Anyone who's not listened to local radio while travelling away from matches in Yorkshire would be amazed that an entire hour or more could be devoted solely to football. A heated and passionate debate which manages, on Radio Sheffield, to cover half a dozen clubs. By contrast In Bristol we have the same handful of contributors who are called by Radio Bristol, no vibrant debate, no holding of anyone to account, no awkward questions, acres of time on rugby and interviews with non-league managers. It's all very cosy and a completely different approach, which perhaps reflects the "meh" view of football that many Bristol residents have...and which has blighted the fortunes of both Bristol clubs down the years. Does no one any favours.

9 hours ago, Rascal said:

Thanks.

On 28/12/2016 at 12:19, KevP said:

If anyone needs any "assurance" that City are in a better place than Barnsley, ( I personally don't ) , just take a look at their ground, particularly the infrastructure and the old stand that looks like something from the 1950s......the flaking red paint on the walls, broken glass concreted into the top of the walls, the area around the ground itself. A step back in time. I went to Carlisle in the early 80s and their ground was a joke....this is on a par. Just need to compare the bigger picture IMO....;)

arf arf.  As a Barnsley fan, I like that dig.  For years and years Bristol City had one of the worst grounds in the division (and certainly one of the worst away ends) and now your chairman has spent a bit of cash on an update, you can have a dig at a stadium with 3 spanking new stands plus one that was built over 100 years ago and gives Oakwell some character???  You're right about the glass on top of walls tho.  It's to keep the fans IN when times are bad...

flakey paint?  I think it's been repainted since you last went.  And for your final dig about the area it's in....amongst average semi-detached / terraced rows of housing not dissimilar to 1000s of estates in Britain.  Are you mad?  And only 10 mins walk from the railway station and town centre.

I wouldn't swap Oakwell for the world.  It's a fantastic stadium, superbly located.  As at least 600 of you would know. 

davefevs - if you were playing to your potential you wouldn't be where you are - with the quality at your disposal you should be top 10.

its not as grim up north as some think.  I won't ask for some of the North knockers on here to post me a picture of their house and I'll post one back of mine and without being up my own ronson I think mine would be up there - yes you can be successful and live up north.  I find the comments totally unrelated to the subject. If paying twice as much for everything earning only 10-20% more shakes your trees in the cities then you can quite frankly keep it.  I will continue to live in my semi-rural hovel!

2 hours ago, Geordie Al said:

arf arf.  As a Barnsley fan, I like that dig.  For years and years Bristol City had one of the worst grounds in the division (and certainly one of the worst away ends) and now your chairman has spent a bit of cash on an update, you can have a dig at a stadium with 3 spanking new stands plus one that was built over 100 years ago and gives Oakwell some character???  You're right about the glass on top of walls tho.  It's to keep the fans IN when times are bad...

flakey paint?  I think it's been repainted since you last went.  And for your final dig about the area it's in....amongst average semi-detached / terraced rows of housing not dissimilar to 1000s of estates in Britain.  Are you mad?  And only 10 mins walk from the railway station and town centre.

I wouldn't swap Oakwell for the world.  It's a fantastic stadium, superbly located.  As at least 600 of you would know. 

Well they must've painted it in the last few weeks then !! :clap:Im pleased for you old pal, I really am. If that's what floats yer boat then happy days for you and all yer chums. We stepped back in time when we went in yer sandwich shop on the corner too, pie, liquid peas, gravy, mint Source all for about £2.50. I will now hand you over to the masses to see if any one else can be arsed to argue the toss about "our grounds better than yours"... I can't because you're clearly wearing yer "Oakwell Goggles"...:cool:

1 hour ago, Redarmy1 said:

davefevs - if you were playing to your potential you wouldn't be where you are - with the quality at your disposal you should be top 10.

its not as grim up north as some think.  I won't ask for some of the North knockers on here to post me a picture of their house and I'll post one back of mine and without being up my own ronson I think mine would be up there - yes you can be successful and live up north.  I find the comments totally unrelated to the subject. If paying twice as much for everything earning only 10-20% more shakes your trees in the cities then you can quite frankly keep it.  I will continue to live in my semi-rural hovel!

I've been ill all week so mi laid up in bed reading on the iPad, I've spent a while on here looking over old topics involving our club, If you look at any topic/thread on here involving Barnsley fans it's all they've got, as soon as they start to realise, we know what we're on about and we're well informed on that matter we speak of, but our opinions differ to the ones they have, they start to attack the north, Yorkshire, and Barnsley it's a defense mechanism and a derailing tactic, best thing to do is just carry on making your point about the original topic. 

1 hour ago, Redarmy1 said:

Yes, personally I think we are paying for potential at Champ level....none of the youngsters we've bought have played this level.  I do think there is an element of the approach to 13/14 season where we went and got Smith, Ayling, Freeman, Agard etc, i.e. the best in League One.  Of course we can't go and buy the best in the Champ as we don't have that pedigree, but the likes of O'Dowda (despite the fee) have potential to be good at this level and either drag us up, or be sold on.

I would like us to pick up some of those hungry, released Prem players, but we seem to be geographically (if that is a reason) in no-man's land, i.e. no Prem clubs near.  Yorkshire is a big pool of players.

As for slagging off towns and city's, not much relevance.  My bruv-in-law lived in Barnsley for a number of years before moving to Oughtibridge, next door to Ian Hendon and across the road from Gilles (Bob) de Bilde.  That was quite a nice 'village'.

My mate couldn't understand why Andre Gray went to that sh1thole (his words) Burnley.  I did say that I doubt Gray located to a street near the ground.  Wish all posters could keep things relatively on-topic.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, personally I think we are paying for potential at Champ level....none of the youngsters we've bought have played this level.  I do think there is an element of the approach to 13/14 season where we went and got Smith, Ayling, Freeman, Agard etc, i.e. the best in League One.  Of course we can't go and buy the best in the Champ as we don't have that pedigree, but the likes of O'Dowda (despite the fee) have potential to be good at this level and either drag us up, or be sold on.

I would like us to pick up some of those hungry, released Prem players, but we seem to be geographically (if that is a reason) in no-man's land, i.e. no Prem clubs near.  Yorkshire is a big pool of players.

As for slagging off towns and city's, not much relevance.  My bruv-in-law lived in Barnsley for a number of years before moving to Oughtibridge, next door to Ian Hendon and across the road from Gilles (Bob) de Bilde.  That was quite a nice 'village'.

My mate couldn't understand why Andre Gray went to that sh1thole (his words) Burnley.  I did say that I doubt Gray located to a street near the ground.  Wish all posters could keep things relatively on-topic.

Indeed. No need for silly petulance 

3 hours ago, Rascal said:

I've been ill all week so mi laid up in bed reading on the iPad, I've spent a while on here looking over old topics involving our club, If you look at any topic/thread on here involving Barnsley fans it's all they've got, as soon as they start to realise, we know what we're on about and we're well informed on that matter we speak of, but our opinions differ to the ones they have, they start to attack the north, Yorkshire, and Barnsley it's a defense mechanism and a derailing tactic, best thing to do is just carry on making your point about the original topic. 

couple of thoughts which might give some context Rascal:

first, when Bristol folk hear the whole "God's Own Country" thing...the one shared endlessly by the Boycotts and professional Yorkshiremen...they assume it must be some sort of wind-up. But as my in-laws live in Yorkshire and I've worked with lots of proud Yorkshire folk, I'm well aware that it isn't far from what many of them actually believe. They love living in Yorkshire, and can't miss an opportunity to share that love...and can't understand why others don't quite get it. I don't think many people in Bristol, or indeed the wider South, do get the charms of the North...this has, of course, been a source of much comedy down the years...

second, much as we've enjoyed their perspectives down the years the problem here is that Barnsley fans are currently sharing their expert (and largely negative) assessment of a manager managing our club at a point when things aren't going too well. Which is very kind, but not great timing...

10 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

couple of thoughts which might give some context Rascal:

first, when Bristol folk hear the whole "God's Own Country" thing...the one shared endlessly by the Boycotts and professional Yorkshire men...they assume it must be some sort of wind-up. But as my in-laws live in Yorkshire and I've worked with lots of proud Yorkshire folk, I'm well aware that it isn't far from what many of them actually believe. They love living in Yorkshire, and can't miss an opportunity to share that love...and can't understand why others don't quite get it. I don't think many people in Bristol, or indeed the wider South, do get the charms of the North...this has, of course, been a source of much comedy down the years...

second, much as we've enjoyed their perspectives down the years the problem here is that Barnsley fans are currently sharing their expert (and largely negative) assessment of a manager managing our club at a point when things aren't going too well. Which is very kind, but not great timing...

It's only same as us from Barnsley though, I watch crimewatch every time it's on, can only ever remember one appeal from Barnsley and quite a few from Bristol. If I was bringing kids up I know where I'd rather be doing it and it wouldn't be where gangs roam the streets and murders happen on a monthly basis but hay ho each to their own. 

6 minutes ago, Rascal said:

It's only same as us from Barnsley though, I watch crimewatch every time it's on, can only ever remember one appeal from Barnsley and quite a few from Bristol. If I was bringing kids up I know where I'd rather be doing it and it wouldn't be where gangs roam the streets and murders happen on a monthly basis but hay ho each to their own. 

What a bizarre post... so you base your crackpot theory on watching Crimewatch :blink:

I hope you weren't being serious.

4 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

What a bizarre post... so you base your crackpot theory on watching Crimewatch :blink:

I hope you weren't being serious.

Obviously I was taking the piss, like the rest of you lot judging our town and country, on what you see of it from the M1 on your way up to Scotland for your holidays. 

5 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Been to Barnsley enough times... looks a dreary place. As depressing as Doncaster or Bradford.

I've watched crimewatch many times, read lots of papers and seen plenty of news broadcasts Bristol looks a rough dangerous place. 

1 hour ago, Rascal said:

I've watched crimewatch many times, read lots of papers and seen plenty of news broadcasts Bristol looks a rough dangerous place. 

Reading other fans forums 95% of the time they enjoy it as an away day and think its a great city. Hear its a mixed bag with barnsley to be fair but bristol is twice the size of barnsley.

1 hour ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Reading other fans forums 95% of the time they enjoy it as an away day and think its a great city. Hear its a mixed bag with barnsley to be fair but bristol is twice the size of barnsley.

This season will be my 8th visit to Bristol I've always enjoyed the day out, normally always end up in a taxi about half one going for the last 3 or 4 pints up to the Flags boozer and the one to the side of it, but it was closed down on our last visit, then a roll down that massive hill to the pub on the corner, that area is like Monaco or Beverly Hills isn't it absolutely beautiful wish we had areas like that in Barnsley. 

On 29/12/2016 at 17:30, Emperor Palpatine said:

The only one who gave fascinating reading was that Whitey fella, he was very well balanced in his views.

These 2 clowns and Saul Dingle... sorry Goodman clearly have an axe to grind with LJ. If the man is so unspectacular, such a mediocre manager then they should be very happy he left not constantly making jibes against the guy, so why do they berate him?

Cheers. I can't deny that when I first posted on here about LJ (when he left us) that I did give my honest assessment of his time here, and it didn't go down too well, even though  I was very fair in what I said. I have repeated my opinion once or twice since and despite it not altering, I garnered a better reaction. 'Time' does that. 

I liked Lee. As a person especially, he really threw himself into the job and the area. He mixed with us, he gave every minute to the job. It's what he does and I like that about people. Maybe he over-stretches? I dunno. He probably can over-complicate at times. 

If he was at fault for our poor run, he has to be credited for the good stuff too. He was in situ for just short of 12 months was it? He had a great start as manager (after Hecky had won two as caretaker), we nearly made the playoffs. He started tinkering, going one up top, Winnall on the wing, it tailed off and we only won one of the last 10 games, something silly like that and obviously stayed down.

We then set off in okay fashion the next season, then came the horrific run. No manager in our history has survived a run anything like that. It then turned completely around, then he left. So it was a good run, bad run, okay run, horrific run then a great run. There wasn't anything solid. It was black or white. So he didn't leave us in a horrid mess, but neither did he achieve anything special. He had a very ordinary spell. So I will never understand much of the vitriol from other Barnsley fans. I understand why some might have seen his jumping ship looking like a lack of loyalty, considering he'd have been a L2 manager at best had he been sacked during the horrific run. I get that. But the vitriol? No. And he made it clear how much Bristol meant to him as an area, City and the club. Course he was going to take the gig. Even if you'd been in L1, I'd have fancied he'd have made the same decision. I also don't get the vitriol of others when since he left we've only got better and better, made a fortune and now sit top ten in the division above with a Barnsley man in charge who everybody to a man adores. But.... each to their own. 

Some will wonder why I'm on here. It's "sad" to post on other forums apparently. Well, I must be sad then. But in fairness, without looking at my profile on here I'd guess that I've been a member on OTIB for four years or so. I didn't just randomly appear when the LJ stuff occurred. I just chirped up more when it did occur, as it was very relevant. I'm signed up to a fair few forums, the good ones, with stuff worth reading. I like seeing how others get on. I like information. 

Lee might well fail. But if you want him to (as a fan of City or Barnsley), then I find that bizarre. Rome/Bristol/Barnsley wasn't built in a day. Sometimes (as we did last year) you have to taste the sour to appreciate the sweet to come. 

You're currently playing a match so hopefully this'll get buried with a win. :fingerscrossed:

Take it easy.

Whitey. Football is a matter of opinion and I simply chose to make mine now as the run parallelled ours at a similar time of the season.  The football was dire under LJ and I have reliable information that the switch to 442 wasn't attributable to him.  I had stopped enjoying going to the matches. My comments are fair and unfortunately not everyone will like them.

I am a well educated person and I don't think you piggy backing a comment and playing some version of mother Theresa of the football forum world is necessary, however you are entitled to your opinion. 

Archived