IGNORED

What do we need in January

Sparkz 76

Callum McManaman is joining Shef Wed on loan until the end of the season.

Not saying we would have had a chance of signing him but certainly the type of player we should be looking at. Miles better than any other winger we currently have.

There was that young kid who burst on the scene at Southampton a month or two ago but isn't getting a look in at the moment. Half a season in the championship would surely do him the world of good for development.

With regards to left back, Ben Chilwell is highly rated at Leicester but doesn't get much game time. Another loan possibility maybe.

In the long-term we need between 5 or 8 players but I'd be amazed if we could get anywhere near that in January.

Short of that, I'm starting to wonder if the main thing we need to stabilise is a midfielder to drop into the centre of defence when we're under pressure, this pushing the full-backs wider and stopping us getting caught by teams attacking from out wide.  I reckon we've got players who could do that.

I think my main targets for January would be a goalscoring striker and a wide player who wants to stay wide and who can create. Admittedly those players aren't easy to find.

43 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Callum McManaman is joining Shef Wed on loan until the end of the season.

Not saying we would have had a chance of signing him but certainly the type of player we should be looking at. Miles better than any other winger we currently have.

There was that young kid who burst on the scene at Southampton a month or two ago but isn't getting a look in at the moment. Half a season in the championship would surely do him the world of good for development.

With regards to left back, Ben Chilwell is highly rated at Leicester but doesn't get much game time. Another loan possibility maybe.

42 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

In the long-term we need between 5 or 8 players but I'd be amazed if we could get anywhere near that in January.

Short of that, I'm starting to wonder if the main thing we need to stabilise is a midfielder to drop into the centre of defence when we're under pressure, this pushing the full-backs wider and stopping us getting caught by teams attacking from out wide.  I reckon we've got players who could do that.

I think my main targets for January would be a goalscoring striker and a wide player who wants to stay wide and who can create. Admittedly those players aren't easy to find.

Both good posts with good points , and I may be wrong but I don't see LJ signing an out and out wide man

Seems obsessed with 'The 10' and talks of anyone with the potential, at least to play as a traditional wide man (Patterson, O'Dowda, Freeman etc) as in their ability to 'Play as a 10'

Have to confess, personally I've never heard him talk of wide men or who can go past people and get crosses in.

Possibly other posters have and will correct me , but all in all I get the definite impression that LJ is not hot on wide men and looks for any width in 'bomb alley' to come from our full backs

Just IMHO 

42 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Both good posts with good points , and I may be wrong but I don't see LJ signing an out and out wide man

Seems obsessed with 'The 10' and talks of anyone with the potential, at least to play as a traditional wide man (Patterson, O'Dowda, Freeman etc) as in their ability to 'Play as a 10'

Have to confess, personally I've never heard him talk of wide men or who can go past people and get crosses in.

Possibly other posters have and will correct me , but all in all I get the definite impression that LJ is not hot on wide men and looks for any width in 'bomb alley' to come from our full backs

Just IMHO 

Think you are right there as even the signing of Paterson would suggest. A player who has spent most his career as a number 10 but can play out wide if needed.

In saying that we were close to signing Hammill in the summer so maybe we will be surprised as see a wide man join us

41 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

And have been supporting the club longer than you've been alive , including the real tough days of the early 80s when many 'Too old' supporters reached in their own pockets to help save the club.:ranting:

It was tongue in cheek, take it easy.

We do have a lot of moaning old codgers though ... gets boring listening to it sometimes.

Seriously i think we need to invest in a centre forward (not striker) to take the burden of wilbs to lead the line. Hes shown how effecitive that type of player can be in this league.

Bobby Reid still flatters to decive - not a fan, odowda doesnt play and i dont know why.

Right back is a weak area, selling Ayling was a massive mistake - ever present for Leeds and playing well by all accounts.

Remember when people used to say Joe Bryan could play in the prem .... those days are gone.

13 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

It was tongue in cheek, take it easy.

Fair enough 

Tip from a miserable git .........Using a ;) sometimes helps to indicate this :thumbsup:

We do have a lot of moaning old codgers though ... gets boring listening to it sometimes..

I'm probably one !  (Not match time though)

and if you stick with City , in about 25yrs or so you will probably realise you've become one too ! 

On a serious note we do have a loyal section of older fans and that should be embraced rather than cast aside

The few of us older moaners should be irrelevant if there are enough younger positive supporters to drown us out !! ;)

Save the criticism for the young Bristolians who follow a 'Big Prem Club' ;)

In order of priority:

• 1 x large target man to play alongside Tammy (hold up the ball, occupy centre backs, chip in occasional goal)
  • 2 x full backs with pace and ability to contribute at both ends of pitch (pressing, tracking back, ability to cross)
  • 1 x speedster change of pace striker to come off the bench (since apparently Engvall is attached to the bench)

I've not prioritised signing midfielders because we have bloody loads of them and I think the primary problem with midfield is that it just isn't one - at least not in the conventional sense of 4 across the middle with defined roles and clear direction to create opportunities for two strikers. Instead our "midfield" is an ever-changing assembly of defensive midfielders and attacking midfielders, all of whom are reliant on passing backwards or punting downfield to Tammy.

There's no doubt we could buy better midfielders, but I'd kind of like to see the likes of O'Dowda and Paterson that we shelled out for, as well as sporadically promising players like Reid and Pack, given a chance to play in a sensible formation with the other more glaring gaps above (up front, full back) sorted out first. I find it odd that LJ is so loyal to a formation/approach that apparently he's reluctant to play O'Dowda and Paterson in. What were they scouted for?

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Just IMHO 

I think you're right but I think it may be a problem.  I've not been able to get to recent games but certainly our problem at QPR and Cardiff was a lack of options when teams stifle how we "want" to play.  Fair play to LJ for having ideas on how he wants us to play but we need options if the initial approach doesn't work.  Totally get it if LJ doesn't want to play with wingers every week but I think we'd be better placed if we had that sort of player as and when we needed it.  However, even if it is not a wide man, the simple fact is that Paterson, Freeman and O'Dowda (though he's young and it's too soon to judge him) are not providing enough assists for 'creative' players and we need either them to up their game or to find someone who'll make goals happen. 

10 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think you're right but I think it may be a problem.  I've not been able to get to recent games but certainly our problem at QPR and Cardiff was a lack of options when teams stifle how we "want" to play.  Fair play to LJ for having ideas on how he wants us to play but we need options if the initial approach doesn't work.  Totally get it if LJ doesn't want to play with wingers every week but I think we'd be better placed if we had that sort of player as and when we needed it.  However, even if it is not a wide man, the simple fact is that Paterson, Freeman and O'Dowda (though he's young and it's too soon to judge him) are not providing enough assists for 'creative' players and we need either them to up their game or to find someone who'll make goals happen. 

Agree

For me , I think our slump is largely because sides know exactly what we are going to try ( Despite Lees tinkering with selections ) (Also counter productive to players feeling comfortable and in their understanding) and that's not difficult set up against and to block off and counter at us in wide (vacant for us) areas

Sides that press us seem to be successful as IMHO we do not have the players of that technical quality (LT the exception) to play this way ATM (Or in modern terminology 'good enough to beat the press')

We definitely need to be able to change our method in these cases and mix it up - another Plan B as an alternative to chucking Evergreen Wilbs on as a target man

Strengthen the spine. Centre half, centre midfielder and centre forward all with leadership/communication skills without fail. Some experience in organising may just assist the likes of Bryan, Freeman, Abraham etc. 

Thereafter, in an ideal world a left back and some wide players. Play far too narrow yet still get carved through in the middle time after time. 

Striker is the obvious need, other than that it will depend on who is available at the right fee, or on loan. Will also depend on whether we can offload any players. Looking at the lists of 7/8 players, that's just taking us back to the good old days of a huge squad, and developing youngsters blocked. Plus huge wage bill....

3 hours ago, shelts said:

Keeper. Left back. Left midfield. Right midfield . Ball winner in the middle of the park. Centre forward.  Maybe a centre alf. Get them and we'll have a real chance of moving up the table 

that's half a team, doesn't say much for the current team does it

22 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Those of us who saw City in Division One know how we got there, scouting younger talent and patience. Exactly what the Club are now trying to put in place

Suggest that it's much harder to do now Chappers as the better academy youngsters get poached by clubs with Cat  One Academies ,

A fair few of players that got us promoted had formed the youth team got to the final of FA Youth Cup , and that that's not likely to be relocated any time in the foreseeable future  

any young promising first teamer will be snapped up by a Prem Club , even as a £5-10 million 'gamble'

i accept the idea is to take the profit and develop some more but that's a big task and requires Cat A Academy Status or some exceptional coaching for those 18-23

Archived