IGNORED

What do we need in January

Sparkz 76

"Matthews has deceleration problems," or words to that effect. Can't remember the exact phrase. One example of total nonsense to try to give the impression he knows more than us mere mortals.

"1% improvements" a term which he picked up from Sky Cycling/Olympic cycling. It makes a good sound bite and more importantly it's impossible for us ordinary supporters to ascertain where and whether these 1% improvements are being made.

He makes comments about things which are non quantifiable. Clever chap.

the only deceleration I can see is our league position.

mark my words, it will end in tears. Just can't understand why people can't see it. 

I love the club and have for many years. This is not cynicism borne out of years of frustration and I sincerely hope I am wrong, but I won't be!

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Rhodes is great at this level but I don't think he's at all realistic. I would argue that Flint/Magnusson aren't the priority for replacement either. 

Well according to the BBC, Sheffield Wednesday are in for Rhodes, so why not us? And something has to give at the back - our defence is sh*t

7 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Well according to the BBC, Sheffield Wednesday are in for Rhodes, so why not us? And something has to give at the back - our defence is sh*t

The fact they pay far more?

Have a very realistic shout of promotion?

Are one of the biggest clubs in the division?

Off the top of my head these are the only blindingly obvious reasons why someone would choose Wednesday over us if they are interested..

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The fact they pay far more?

Have a very realistic shout of promotion?

Are one of the biggest clubs in the division?

Off the top of my head these are the only blindingly obvious reasons why someone would choose Wednesday over us if they are interested..

Well maybe we need to start paying more, then we might get somewhere for once. 

And while Sheffield Wednesday are a bigger club than us, I would hardly class them among the glamour sides of the division. They haven't done anything for years.

12 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Well maybe we need to start paying more, then we might get somewhere for once. 

And while Sheffield Wednesday are a bigger club than us, I would hardly class them among the glamour sides of the division. They haven't done anything for years.

You can't have players on max less than £20k per week and then bring in someone and pay him more than double everyone else. It's a gradual process, we are probably increasing our wage bill every year where maybe one day if we're competitive at the top of this league/bottom of prem we can pay that sort of money occasionally for the right player.

It would do nothing for the team's fragile morale if we paid Rhodes loads more than everyone else before you even think about whether we could even afford it under financial rules.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You can't have players on max less than £20k per week and then bring in someone and pay him more than double everyone else. It's a gradual process, we are probably increasing our wage bill every year where maybe one day if we're competitive at the top of this league/bottom of prem we can pay that sort of money occasionally and it's more normal.

It would do nothing for the team's fragile morale if we paid Rhodes loads more than everyone else before you even think about whether we could even afford it under financial rules.

Maybe but I still highly doubt that Rhodes could command 45K a week.

5 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Maybe but I still highly doubt that Rhodes could command 45K a week.

Maybe not, but who knows - I don't think it would be that much less. He's about as close as you're going to get to guaranteed goals in this league. For a team like Sheffield Weds, Leeds, Reading or Derby with aspirations of promotion but perhaps not the depth or quality of Newcastle or Brighton his goals might give them the final bit of momentum to claw into the auto promotion places. The riches of promotion to those sort of teams may mean speculating on Rhodes might be worth the spend in the short term if it gets them promotion. 

He will know this, his agent will know this, his dad (who apparently takes a very close interest in his contract negotiations) will know this. He'd be in high demand and could command a big fee, wage and signing fee. 

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Maybe not, but who knows - I don't think it would be that much less. He's about as close as you're going to get to guaranteed goals in this league. For a team like Sheffield Weds, Leeds, Reading or Derby with aspirations of promotion but perhaps not the depth or quality of Newcastle or Brighton his goals might give them the final bit of momentum to claw into the auto promotion places. The riches of promotion to those sort of teams may mean speculating on Rhodes might be worth the spend in the short term if it gets them promotion. 

He will know this, his agent will know this, his dad (who apparently takes a very close interest in his contract negotiations) will know this. He'd be in high demand and could command a big fee, wage and signing fee. 

That's the thing: sometimes you do need to speculate in order to achieve your ambitions. Where were Leeds last season? 

50 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Our defence is as leaky as Reading's, and Reading sit third in the table.

10 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

That's the thing: sometimes you do need to speculate in order to achieve your ambitions. Where were Leeds last season? 

Well Leeds haven't exactly done that. On base transfer fees alone they actually spent less than us this window (around £8m) and their expenditure was largely balanced out by the sale of Lewis Cook for £6m a bit like ours with Kodjia/Bolasie. (http://www.transferleague.co.uk/leeds-united/english-football-teams/leeds-united-transfers)

I would say their success is down to the usual formula - a mixture of clever transfer business combining youth/experience, good players already at the club, playing an effective system that works, good management in Monk. I also think that they'll always be difficult to beat at Elland Road especially when they're on a good run.

Whilst they've done well up until now they could easily fall away as teams like Villa and Derby get into the playoffs. 

18 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Well that doesn't make it good, it just means they have a much better attack than us

I've just noticed, Reading's attack is better than ours by a whopping 3 (three) goals. Food for thought, wouldn't you say?

A striker, a younger version of Wilbs would be ideal. We don't play good football, we lump it to Tammy, so at least if we have a target man there to take it down and bring Tammy into play we might play long ball effectively. 

A right winger, someone on loan who's out of favour, Gradel/Mousset from Bournemouth, challenge Wolves to get Sako. Maybe even Samuelson from West Ham. Looked class for Peterborough but admittedly I've not seen him play for Blackburn. 

Adelakun from Scunthorpe reminds me of Adomah. Only 20 but is direct & skilful. Maybe better to sign him in the summer, will be in the final year of his contract then. 

We need a goalkeeper whose got all the assets of FF and ROD but none of the liabilities. 

Need a RB whose comfortable on the ball, quick and can defend ( Tavernier ?) 

We need a forward who can score 20 goals a season to compliment Tammy Abraham. I'd seriously consider Matty Taylor at Rovers . 

I'd bring back Wes Burns from Aberdeen as well . 

15 minutes ago, redapple said:

We need a goalkeeper whose got all the assets of FF and ROD but none of the liabilities. 

Would cost a fortune - keepers at this level make mistakes unfortunately unless you pay big money.

Need a RB whose comfortable on the ball, quick and can defend ( Tavernier ?) 

I wanted him before he went to Rangers but think we're too late now. No reason for him to move here. We do need a right back though and his dead ball delivery is always an asset.

We need a forward who can score 20 goals a season to compliment Tammy Abraham. I'd seriously consider Matty Taylor at Rovers . 

20 goal forwards again cost a premium. Whilst Taylor might be a good option, it's not worth the risk for LJ. Imagine if we bring him in and he fails. Would be one of the most unpopular signings ever. We need someone mobile and aggressive - like Leroy Lita when he first broke through. I would like us to look at Nouha Dicko for that option.

I'd bring back Wes Burns from Aberdeen as well . 

He's not been that effective at Aberdeen, I don't think he's much better than what we've got. I'd recall him to give him a loan where he gets more game time but not for the first team squad.

11 hours ago, Port Pete said:

Strengthen the spine. Centre half, centre midfielder and centre forward all with leadership/communication skills without fail. Some experience in organising may just assist the likes of Bryan, Freeman, Abraham etc. 

Thereafter, in an ideal world a left back and some wide players. Play far too narrow yet still get carved through in the middle time after time. 

Agree completely,with the addition of a top keeper in an ideal world!

Stop gambling on a inexperienced coach to get this club anywhere other than scrapping at the bottom of this League or League 1. We have never had a Manager that satisfies the ambition of this club, well we thought we might with Coppell and we had a 'home grown' type with Dicks, but why Oh! why do we have to have coaches that just can't cut it? Of course you need to be attract the big names proven types that have actually steered teams to the Prem, but we always go for the 'soft' 'cosy' option, like  I am afraid right now. 

What would I give for a  Steve Bruce type to realise what this great albeit underachieving club deserves, and to reward it's long suffering fans some success, the like most have never seen that was over 40 years ago, diabolical... 

10 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Stop gambling on a inexperienced coach to get this club anywhere other than scrapping at the bottom of this League or League 1. We have never had a Manager that satisfies the ambition of this club, well we thought we might with Coppell and we had a 'home grown' type with Dicks, but why Oh! why do we have to have coaches that just can't cut it? Of course you need to be attract the big names proven types that have actually steered teams to the Prem, but we always go for the 'soft' 'cosy' option, like  I am afraid right now. 

What would I give for a  Steve Bruce type to realise what this great albeit underachieving club deserves, and to reward it's long suffering fans some success, the like most have never seen that was over 40 years ago, diabolical... 

There are no guarantees of success with a more experienced coach , I give you Pearson , who many on here wanted when Cotts left .

A very expensive mistake .

The reasons for hiring LJ all look good and coherent with project BCFC.

Archived