IGNORED

Luke Ayling (Merged)

man in the middle

6 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Don't know for sure, but he went a really short price in the betting after SC left (I know bookies odds aren't everything)

I thought he had been, but wasn't too sure. Don't think he's ever been interviewed by the board 

21 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well I wasn't happy and I know quite a few others who weren't happy as well, so to say 'most others' were happy is a bit presumptuous....you can't possibly know what the majority of City fans felt at the time...

I think most were disappointed but understood that he had been allowed to leave for first team football that he wasn't guaranteed here. I think everyone would of preferred to keep ayling over little as back up...  But I can't imagine we got too many offers for little and I also imagine Ayling was less happy at being a sub.

Like when cunningham left,  it seemed a disappointing yet sensible decision at the time. 

10 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

I think most were disappointed but understood that he had been allowed to leave for first team football that he wasn't guaranteed here. I think everyone would of preferred to keep ayling over little as back up...  But I can't imagine we got too many offers for little and I also imagine Ayling was less happy at being a sub.

Like when cunningham left,  it seemed a disappointing yet sensible decision at the time. 

Fair enough, but Luke started the first game of the season vs Wigan and then left, so he left as a first choice player...not a sub...

23 minutes ago, Juan Domingo Roldan said:

Little fat waiter mk2 obviously didn't think he was good enough. Gary Monk thought otherwise & snipped him for 750k. Meanwhile, the lunatics in the boardroom asylum handed out a contract extension to someone in the midst of a very poor run of form. You do the maths.

It must be past your bed time.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well I wasn't happy and I know quite a few others who weren't happy as well, so to say 'most others' were happy is a bit presumptuous....you can't possibly know what the majority of City fans felt at the time...

Fair point about the 'most'.

However from what I recall on here people were unhappy that if left Little as back up rather than Ayling, rather than Ayling not being our first choice right back.

He is a good footballer. However, he does tend to go a bit Glen Johnson at times when attacking and switches off.

Could weigh in with goals and do a job in midfield too. I liked the way that he could pick a pass to unlock a defence. Was surprised to see him go, but we obviously got a few bob in the coffers before he walked for free so I suppose it had to be done. Little stayed because we couldn't give him away. Bad signing in my opinion. One trick pony.

Very easy to say all this in hindsight. I'd prefer him here to Little but maybe Ayling wanted the move. Leeds United are still a huge club and that would be a draw for lots of players.

I think as others have said that the Cheltenham incident settled his fate. I think another factor is Little's friendship with Tomlin. Perhaps we thought it's worth keeping Little here to ensure Tomlin signed.

Shame he's not here, but I don't think you'd find many people who'd have rather kept Ayling over Matthews (assuming Little was never going to leave being a bargaining chip in Tomlin deal) in the summer. Seems like a great guy so good to see him doing well.

11 hours ago, nickolas said:

Yet apparently he'd never be good enough as a RB according to some on here!

Quality player. How we've let go and retained Little and a 'cant be arsed' Matthews is beyond me. :grr:

Yet more hindsight expertise. At the time there some disappointment that Ayling was gone, because he was popular and half decent, but the concensus view was that Matthews would be number one choice at RB, Little was backup, and Ayling wasn't fully convincing at RB and was better suited to the right side of a back three. No one talked about Matthews in "can't be arsed" terms at the time. Having expanded the squad it was thought Ayling's game time might be limited so I think most understood the move, even if it was with a little regret. And of course it freed up wages and recouped some of our summer costs.

Remarkable how many are now rewriting history and claiming outrage at decisions, months down the line, to suit the current negative feelings towards Johnson.

37 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Yet more hindsight expertise. At the time there some disappointment that Ayling was gone, because he was popular and half decent, but the concensus view was that Matthews would be number one choice at RB, Little was backup, and Ayling wasn't fully convincing at RB and was better suited to the right side of a back three. No one talked about Matthews in "can't be arsed" terms at the time. Having expanded the squad it was thought Ayling's game time might be limited so I think most understood the move, even if it was with a little regret. And of course it freed up wages and recouped some of our summer costs.

Remarkable how many are now rewriting history and claiming outrage at decisions, months down the line, to suit the current negative feelings towards Johnson.

Nail firmly hit on the head .

the reason Luke Ayling was told this by a reliable source 

Johnson at Yeovil didn't like him and like father likes son! Was treated like shit by LG. Many are, man management needs more than a little work! ! 

His career with us was over the minute lj walked in  the door! He was devastated, loved it here

12 hours ago, shelts said:

Wanted to leave?

More money per week?

Much bigger club

Fancied a nice signing on fee ?

Last chance of a decent move ?

we will never know. 

Bad form Shelts, giving sensible reasons on OTIB.

Typical of this forum atm and the those who just want to bash the club/LJ at every opportunity. 

No one knows the real reasons behind it yet a lot are happy to have a pop. 

I may start a thread to slag the club off for selling Andrew Cole. He won a european cup so what a mistake that was by us. 

Edit - not that the OP was slagging anyone off!!

26 minutes ago, Healeyred96 said:

the reason Luke Ayling was told this by a reliable source 

Johnson at Yeovil didn't like him and like father likes son! Was treated like shit by LG. Many are, man management needs more than a little work! ! 

His career with us was over the minute lj walked in  the door! He was devastated, loved it here

This is quite a revelation! How have we managed to keep Liam Gallagher's involvement quiet?! 

IMG_7746.JPG

Just like at the time of him being sold I felt anybody saying 'I'd rather he was here than Little' was missing the point somewhat.

We quite obviously expected Matthews to show the form he did on loan last season and play every week and therefore leaving Little/Ayling as no more than back up. Left with having 3 right backs we then received interest in Ayling and Leeds offered what most agreed at the time was a very good fee. The issue of 'I'd have sold Little', is a myth. Nobody would have offered anything like that for Little. Had we turned down any offers for Ayling we wouldn't have then magically managed to 'sell' Little. We would have had 3 right backs and yet have turned down good money for one of them. Plus, it wouldn't exactly be a massive surprise to find out that maybe Ayling would actually much rather play for Leeds than Bristol City.

I liked Ayling, seemed a great lad, did a good job for us and I'm actually glad he's doing well. That being said the disaster wasn't selling him, it was being fooled by the unfit, uninterested Matthews. I've had more than my fair share of him now and as financially stupid as it may seem I'd rather we pay him to do nothing for the rest of the season then I have to watch him jog about at fullback. Little may be incredibly limited and out of his depth at this level, but I'd play him in front of that shirker until we hopefully sign another right back in January.

5 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Just like at the time of him being sold I felt anybody saying 'I'd rather he was here than Little' was missing the point somewhat.

We quite obviously expected Matthews to show the form he did on loan last season and play every week and therefore leaving Little/Ayling as no more than back up. Left with having 3 right backs we then received interest in Ayling and Leeds offered what most agreed at the time was a very good fee. The issue of 'I'd have sold Little, is a myth. Nobody would have offered anything like that for Little. Had we turned down any offers for Ayling we wouldn't have then magically managed to 'sell' Little. We would have had 3 right backs and yet have turned down good money for one of them. Plus, it wouldn't exactly be a massive surprise to find out that maybe Ayling would actually much rather play for Leeds than Bristol City.

I liked Ayling, seemed a great lad, did a good job for us and I'm actually glad he's doing well. That being said the disaster wasn't selling him, it was being fooled by the unfit, uninterested Matthews. I've had more than my fair share of him now and as financially stupid as it may seem I'd rather we pay him to do nothing for the rest of the season then I have to watch him jog about at fullback. Little may be incredibly limited and out of his depth at this level, but I'd play him in front of that shirker until we hopefully sign another right back in January.

Exactly! Good business done by the club, on the expectation than the position was also being improved upon at the time. Matthews has been a disappointment, hope he has a good New Year's resolution! :fingerscrossed:

13 hours ago, shelts said:

I was waiting for this thread.........

13 hours ago, shelts said:

I was waiting for a thread like this .....

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Hasn't all of this been said before?  No point going over the same details every time a former player has a decent game.

Exactly this lads !

He was ok going forward, lots of usual "headrush" attacks that left Leeds wide open at the back but Villa never exploited this area - if they had done everyone would be saying how shit he was last night

Archived