IGNORED

Scott Golbourne

Shuffle

4 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Wasn't there tonight but why oh why is he always taken off.....was it deserved tonight?   God knows what he's done but LJ just isn't having him as a player!

So by saying you weren't there you're able to make a judgement about the latter point?

Don't think he did much last night, but was being ignored by Tomlin on pretty much every overlap he tried in the first half. Ipswich were very poor coming forward in the first half, the fact they scored with their only shot on target I think was more fluke than anything else.

To be honest I think he was a victim of the change in formation, as Bryan came on in the wing back position when we went 352. Like so many players at the moment though, seems to come in for a couple of games then is out of the side for a few more. Still don't know our best 11 at the end of December, and that is worrying. 

16 minutes ago, Taz said:

Don't think he did much last night, but was being ignored by Tomlin on pretty much every overlap he tried in the first half. Ipswich were very poor coming forward in the first half, the fact they scored with their only shot on target I think was more fluke than anything else.

To be honest I think he was a victim of the change in formation, as Bryan came on in the wing back position when we went 352. Like so many players at the moment though, seems to come in for a couple of games then is out of the side for a few more. Still don't know our best 11 at the end of December, and that is worrying. 

It'll be pretty obvious by now I'm a staunch Lee Johnson fan - but I'd agree with your last point as being a pretty major concern.

This is probably a bit simplistic, but if we were to play the Championship play-off final at Wembley a week from now, not accounting for injuries and suspensions, what team would you pick?

I always think a manager should know at the very least nine of that team right off the bat. And, I also think, when you land on a run like we're on you should pick as close to that team as you possibly can and give it three games.

I don't see us doing that because, as you say, I'm not really sure LJ does know.

22 minutes ago, Super said:

Come on he is as bad as the useless little. Need a rb and a lb who can actually defend in jan.

Pathetic comment about Scott.

Scott is a solid left back who for some reason is being messed about by a manager who is incapable of fielding a settled side week in week out.

One week Scott is not even in the squad the next he is straight back into the side, for a defence to play well they need to be settled and playing together every week.

History will show you that all the successful sides are the ones that are not constantly  rotated !

In my opinion there is to much emphasis on trying to keep Tomlin and Bryan in the team which upsets the balance. Scott is left back, Joe us left mid and Tomlin should be up by Tammy and know where else.

1 hour ago, Taz said:

To be honest I think he was a victim of the change in formation, as Bryan came on in the wing back position when we went 352. 

Absolutely right. 

Bryan offers more attacking threat as his assist for Tammy's goal shows. 

In a back four Golbourne is a better LB than Bryan.

57 minutes ago, Between heaven and hell said:

Pathetic comment about Scott.

Scott is a solid left back who for some reason is being messed about by a manager who is incapable of fielding a settled side week in week out.

One week Scott is not even in the squad the next he is straight back into the side, for a defence to play well they need to be settled and playing together every week.

History will show you that all the successful sides are the ones that are not constantly  rotated !

In my opinion there is to much emphasis on trying to keep Tomlin and Bryan in the team which upsets the balance. Scott is left back, Joe us left mid and Tomlin should be up by Tammy and know where else.

He isnt good enough sadly he is one of many. 

12 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

He isn't good enough. None of our full backs are

I seem to remember last season when he was brought in by Pembo he was one of the key people who helped us to stop leaking goals. Some people have short memories. He's a proper defender and should always be picked ahead of Bryan in the LB position.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Yet signed from a Championship club where he was a regular starter, strange that...

He wasn't though. He was dropped by Wolves and wasn't playing. He's not a bad player though. I don't mind Bryan out there at LB either. Joe is learning the trade  and is inconsistent but I think he's got the ability to be a good LB. That said, I wish one would get picked and get the run of games needed. Doesn't matter who's good enough because they're what we've got. 

We took a walloping off Leeds on Boxing Day (they were superb, Monk a top manager clearly), and Luke Ayling was probably one of, if not the best player on the pitch. Didn't give Callum Robinson a sniff all game and got forward well too putting in some brilliant crosses.

You could probably do with Ayling and Cunningham in the full back positions now. I suppose, after a summer in which you signed several players who don't even play, the lesson to be learned is that sometimes it's just better to stick with what you've got and work to improve them further.

I don't come on here to boast and hope it doesn't come across that way, but surely the fact that Ayling and Cunningham are regular starters and good performers in sides above you in the division, whilst you have big problems in the full back areas, just goes to show how poor your transfer business has been in the past 18 or so months.

Hope your fortunes turn around soon, although it may require a more experienced manager with more nouse in the transfer market for that to happen?

29 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

We took a walloping off Leeds on Boxing Day (they were superb, Monk a top manager clearly), and Luke Ayling was probably one of, if not the best player on the pitch. Didn't give Callum Robinson a sniff all game and got forward well too putting in some brilliant crosses.

You could probably do with Ayling and Cunningham in the full back positions now. I suppose, after a summer in which you signed several players who don't even play, the lesson to be learned is that sometimes it's just better to stick with what you've got and work to improve them further.

I don't come on here to boast and hope it doesn't come across that way, but surely the fact that Ayling and Cunningham are regular starters and good performers in sides above you in the division, whilst you have big problems in the full back areas, just goes to show how poor your transfer business has been in the past 18 or so months.

Hope your fortunes turn around soon, although it may require a more experienced manager with more nouse in the transfer market for that to happen?

We signed Matthews on a season long loan, and he was one of the reasons we turned around a poor season last year. He was odd's on to start week in week out and Ayling wanted first team football, so it was the right move for both clubs. Sadly Matthews came unfit, then injured, and then uninterested - maybe he had no other offers and it was us or training with the youth team,,,so possibly he does not even really want to be here.

Cunningham, we messed him so much it's a wonder he stayed as long as he did. He was always polite and a professional when called upon, but the club treated him poorly... glad he's doing well elsewhere... but again, not surprised he left. 

Maybe it's just we are bad at keeping players happy, and squad rotation being used poorly.

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

He wasn't though. He was dropped by Wolves and wasn't playing. He's not a bad player though. 

When Golbourne left Wolves they had played 25 league games and he had started 20 of them. 

They left him out once he made it clear he would not sign a new contract and so they sold him to us rather than let him go for free last summer.

Wolves finished 14th last season, as I showed above, he played nearly all of their league games until they sold him, therefore he was a regular starter and I doubt any of our own defenders on the books at present has more Championship experience than him.

It is obvious now he is a regular scapegoat for the head coach but seeing as we cannot keep a clean sheet for love nor money I'm baffled as to why.

3 hours ago, stogursey red said:

Scot is a good solid player at this level, he may not be amazing going up and down the wing, but thats not what we need at the moment, he is a good defender and we always look better at the back when he plays,

Scott Golbourne is an anagram of Scapegoat.

He's been solid this season, and offered a little more going forward than last year.  Solid is what we need.

Just watched the 'highlights'. Have we abandoned the concept of preventing crosses? 

Basic, basic stuff. Either stop the cross coming in or put pressure on the crosser by putting a challenge in.  How many more times do we allow the opposition winger acres of space and ample time to put a precision cross into our box? 

Even if one of our players is within 20 yards, we just don't seem to be bothered in the slightest in closing down.

Is this coaching, tactics, player attitude, fitness? Whatever it is, massive fail and is costing us big time.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

When Golbourne left Wolves they had played 25 league games and he had started 20 of them. 

They left him out once he made it clear he would not sign a new contract and so they sold him to us rather than let him go for free last summer.

Wolves finished 14th last season, as I showed above, he played nearly all of their league games until they sold him, therefore he was a regular starter and I doubt any of our own defenders on the books at present has more Championship experience than him.

It is obvious now he is a regular scapegoat for the head coach but seeing as we cannot keep a clean sheet for love nor money I'm baffled as to why.

Quite sure I remember they preferred someone else after a big loss. Anyway, it isn't important why he came. I don't mind him or Joe I just wish someone would get the run of 8-10 games there to make it their own. 

4 hours ago, pnefcok said:

Agree about Ayling's ability. Really original player who was at the heart of the City team and should not have been sold.. As to whether BCFC have the coaching staff to improve any of our players, young or old, I have serious doubts

Archived