IGNORED

LJ - So Close But So Far

Alex_BCFC

So we've lost 7 of the last 8. All of those losses by one goal. And 5 of those losses have been with a goal in the last 15 minutes or later.

To me that suggest two main things that are going wrong - fitness and mentality. Now I know there are a lot of other things at play like LJ's insistence in switching the team around every game and even at half-time but the two things I have said I think are the main things. It's not like we aren't competitive. Although I do fear that we are heavily reliant on Tammy to keep us in games.

Apart from the Brighton game, just before this horrific run, we have generally been involved in all the games and could have won a couple (ie 2-1 up at Wolves etc).

So perhaps LJ can still turn it around as the margins are fine. But not sure how long he will be given. Defeats against Reading, Fleetwood and Cardiff could mean he isn't even given the January window to sort it out. He did start to turn Barnsley round after a similar run although their fans said it was more by luck than anything?

I won't be calling for his head just yet as I believe he deserve a little bit more time. I also think there are 3 worse teams luckily although we shouldn't be just hoping we stay up by default. Want to see progress in this 2nd half of the season like I thought we were seeing at the start of the season.

4 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

So we've lost 7 of the last 8. All of those losses by one goal. And 5 of those losses have been with a goal in the last 15 minutes or later.

To me that suggest two main things that are going wrong - fitness and mentality. Now I know there are a lot of other things at play like LJ's insistence in switching the team around every game and even at half-time but the two things I have said I think are the main things. It's not like we aren't competitive. Although I do fear that we are heavily reliant on Tammy to keep us in games.

Apart from the Brighton game, just before this horrific run, we have generally been involved in all the games and could have won a couple (ie 2-1 up at Wolves etc).

So perhaps LJ can still turn it around as the margins are fine. But not sure how long he will be given. Defeats against Reading, Fleetwood and Cardiff could mean he isn't even given the January window to sort it out. He did start to turn Barnsley round after a similar run although their fans said it was more by luck than anything?

I won't be calling for his head just yet as I believe he deserve a little bit more time. I also think there are 3 worse teams luckily although we shouldn't be just hoping we stay up by default. Want to see progress in this 2nd half of the season like I thought we were seeing at the start of the season.

Fitness and mentality.....sorry but team selection and formations is the reason why!!!!

15 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Keep hearing their are three worst teams so we'll most likely be safe. 

Which teams ? And why ?

8 minutes ago, Port Pete said:

Keep hearing their are three worst teams so we'll most likely be safe. 

Which teams ? And why ?

Not sure, as currently only Rotherham have lost more games than us!

Hopefully Wigan will join that list in a couple of hours time.

Worrying stuff.

41 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

We can lose all 3 and LJ will not get sacked.

I mentioned in another thread, his dad knew how to shut shop. No one would relish playing against us when we were a goal up when Gary was in charge as we were so solid. The fitness of the players saw them playing until the final minute still putting themselves around the pitch and putting their bodies on the line - so if Lee needs advise on that, maybe a chat with Dad on new years eve might help.

44 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I think Rotherham are gone. Wigan, Blackburn and Burton I think are also worse.

Recent results are disappointing though as I thought we were better than Ipswich, Wolves, Preston and Brentford yet lost to all them narrowly on this run.

Worrying times.

If we played Rotherham tomorrow, I don't believe we'd get 3 points. Blackburn I thought were better than us when we played them at home and we punched a win, only coming to life late in the game. 

Burton are continuing to surprise a few.

Whilst Ipswich and Brentford aren't great, I actually think they'll be okay. Preston no danger there for them either. 

Safety isn't as cut and dried for me. 

57 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I think Rotherham are gone. Wigan, Blackburn and Burton I think are also worse.

Recent results are disappointing though as I thought we were better than Ipswich, Wolves, Preston and Brentford yet lost to all them narrowly on this run.

Worrying times.

Blackburn were within a minute of winning at Huddersfield today, somewhere that (like pretty much every away game) we recently lost.

They were also deserving of at least a point when we beat them at AG.

At present I doubt there are 2 sides worse than us in this division , let alone three.

6 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

It isn't but we all know things can turn around quickly the other way and hopefully our poor run can't last too much longer...because it if does then LJ will be under serious pressure. 

I'd like to think he is under serious pressure. That said he was awarded a new contract during this winless run. Baffling. 

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

Fitness and mentality.....sorry but team selection and formations is the reason why!!!!

I agree with both of you. It is in fact all four

Lack of Fitness both physical in some and mental in most of our team is evident for 90 mins

Mentality we are not tough enough or good enough oozes from our team. This mentality is self evident and this is the effect of selection and formation issues that the manager is wholly responsible for. 

3 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I've always believed that fitness is likely to be a factor with teams who often lose late goals. Tiredness leads to loss of concentration and slowness in reaction time.

1 hour ago, Port Pete said:

I'd like to think he is under serious pressure. That said he was awarded a new contract during this winless run. Baffling. 

With the inflated January transfer market upcoming where a player can cost more than double their genuine value, I really hope he isn't feeling serious pressure and in need of a quick fix at all costs. 

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What would you pick for Reading if it was to keep you in your job?

Depends on whose fit and available, I think it's worth noting that if we do lose against reading LJ still won't get sacked.  

Assuming mags is fit.

FF

Matt flint mags golb

Pack Brownhill

Lf lt pat

Tammy

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Blackburn were within a minute of winning at Huddersfield today, somewhere that (like pretty much every away game) we recently lost.

They were also deserving of at least a point when we beat them at AG.

At present I doubt there are 2 sides worse than us in this division , let alone three.

The table doesn't lie 

3 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Depends on whose fit and available, I think it's worth noting that if we do lose against reading LJ still won't get sacked.  

Assuming mags is fit.

FF

Matt flint mags golb

Pack Brownhill

Lf lt pat

Tammy

I'd defo go with 9/11, the two wide players could be anyone....no-one has done enough this season in that position.

For me, the inexplicable change of line up going into the Hull, League cup match was the start of our troubles. 

We had some momentum up to that point and going into that match we were 6th in the table.

Dropping Magnusson, Tomlin and Tammy to the bench took all the steam out of the side and we lost what could have been a good cup win and a last 8 spot in a cup.

Since that game in October we have drawn one and won one. 

The Hull game killed any forward momentum we had and the matchday 11 has hardly remained settled since.

If I was picking a team to save LJs job or be fired I would do something like this to start, assuming Matthews gon are sick notes and Magnusson is fit

FF 

MOORE

FLINT

MAGNUSSON

BRYAN 

BROWNHILL

PACK

FREEMAN

ODOWDA

TOMLIN

ABRAHAM 

And prey that even if they lose they put on a really good performance that the supporters get behind AND THAT WE HAD NOT WASTED 11m

Bench ROD SMITH WILBO DIGIRALAMO LITTLE GOLDBOURNE 

Archived