IGNORED

So what were your thoughts ?

Fiale

When I heard the team news, well it just screamed "Cannot afford to Lose"  4 across the back, 3 central (defensive) midfielders (one of who LJ thinks is on course to be a PremierLeague LB) Matthews as CB, 2 actual wingers in O'Dowda and Freeman. Where were the goals going to come from in that team ? Lee could not afford to lose so set up shop early on, pressing, letting them have no space. Reading had almost all the possession throughout the match, but we got a lucky break, a timid shot from Bryan that the keeper sends rebounding into the path of Tammy. ! nil up... and now the team/tactics look like they make sense, we just need to defend.... for a hell of a long time, but Reading for all their nice passing and movement created nothing and we go into half time thinking... brave selection Lee, but you may have just done it.

2nd half, and O'Dowda wins a pretty soft penalty, but hey about time right. Taammy scores, and Reading still produce nothing. O'Dowda gets injured and now things start to go wrong, within a short time we go from Reading not being able to break down our team that's packing midfield, to subbing a injured O'Dowda and Freeman. We now have no wingers, and are playing a 4-4-2 and Reading are now bossing the midfield and creating chances...  1...... 2...... 3  it was all so inevitable, for 30 minutes the whole team pretty much just sat in our half, no pressing, no challenges, the few times we won the ball we lopped it long to Wilbs hoping he could hold it up. Why we did not stick to the dour but working tactic 4-1-4-1 that just smothered Reading I have no idea, yes it was not pretty, but it was effective. Suddenly our defence are under constant attack, and as we all know they cannot cope as proven all season, we took away their safety screen, and left them to do what they have done all season... concede soft goals.

So brave tactics LJ - it almost worked, sadly you beat yourself in the end with the changes. 

3 minutes ago, Star of a gunner said:

don't think he will still be here for Fleetwood

As much as many of us aren't rating LJ at the moment I think he's going to get significant more time from SL. Unless you know something. I think he'll be given until sometime in February to get his players in a time to fit them in. 

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.As much as I like BR he is not a player I would bring on to hold on to a lead but the complete opposite.As soon as the changes unfolded so sadly did we.From Reading having plenty of possession but not hurting us it turned into the Alamo and the wide channels that we had shored up suddenly were wide open.The rest is history.

14 minutes ago, Red Rag said:

Spot on summery Fiale. Bringing on Wilbs and changing formation was a car crash, at the time I said to my son LJ must have gone mad. We could and should have won that game but I really could not watch that style of play for long before slitting my wrist.

He Has Lost The Plot. GO NOW PLEASE.

22 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

As much as many of us aren't rating LJ at the moment I think he's going to get significant more time from SL. Unless you know something. I think he'll be given until sometime in February to get his players in a time to fit them in. 

I really don't think he will, and I sincerely hope I'm right. Losing a 2-0 lead to lose 3-2 at home is the final straw for me

8 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

In what way?

10 or even 11 behind the ball. Booting the ball out of our penalty area, but no player to aim at.  Everybody deep, one striker who ended up nearer his own goal than Reading's .Philosophy of "fingers crossed and hope for a miracle."

1 hour ago, Fiale said:

When I heard the team news, well it just screamed "Cannot afford to Lose"  4 across the back, 3 central (defensive) midfielders (one of who LJ thinks is on course to be a PremierLeague LB) Matthews as CB, 2 actual wingers in O'Dowda and Freeman. Where were the goals going to come from in that team ? Lee could not afford to lose so set up shop early on, pressing, letting them have no space. Reading had almost all the possession throughout the match, but we got a lucky break, a timid shot from Bryan that the keeper sends rebounding into the path of Tammy. ! nil up... and now the team/tactics look like they make sense, we just need to defend.... for a hell of a long time, but Reading for all their nice passing and movement created nothing and we go into half time thinking... brave selection Lee, but you may have just done it.

2nd half, and O'Dowda wins a pretty soft penalty, but hey about time right. Taammy scores, and Reading still produce nothing. O'Dowda gets injured and now things start to go wrong, within a short time we go from Reading not being able to break down our team that's packing midfield, to subbing a injured O'Dowda and Freeman. We now have no wingers, and are playing a 4-4-2 and Reading are now bossing the midfield and creating chances...  1...... 2...... 3  it was all so inevitable, for 30 minutes the whole team pretty much just sat in our half, no pressing, no challenges, the few times we won the ball we lopped it long to Wilbs hoping he could hold it up. Why we did not stick to the dour but working tactic 4-1-4-1 that just smothered Reading I have no idea, yes it was not pretty, but it was effective. Suddenly our defence are under constant attack, and as we all know they cannot cope as proven all season, we took away their safety screen, and left them to do what they have done all season... concede soft goals.

So brave tactics LJ - it almost worked, sadly you beat yourself in the end with the changes. 

A recurring theme i'm afraid.

No time to panic and there is no doubt LJ won't be sacked. looks like we are in for 2 strong players and those deals should be done this week. Duric could be ideally suited for what we need and Hegeler has played at a high level in Germany. He is also a strong powerful midfielder. We need reinforcing and this should give us a more physical presence. Would like another CB and an imposing Gk. 

Get behind the team!

1 hour ago, Fiale said:

I said pretty much this in another thread, I'm done with him.

One fit CB so play an unfit RB there and send a direct replacement away . Winger injured bring on a attacking MF, other winger knackered? Bring on a target man genius !

My thoughts are this.

Our poor form dictated the team selection and tactics today, had we conceded an early goal with confidence low the floodgates could have opened as we chased the game. Instead we allowed Reading to knock the ball around mostly in areas that were comfortable for us and didn't lose our defensive shape. When the ball came into the final 3rd we won it back really well and were able to catch them on the break a few times. 

For 65 mins this worked really well however for around 5 or 6 mins before their first goal we won the ball back on several occasions and each time gave it straight back to them, this put us under more and more pressure until the inevitable happened. 

At 2-1 LJ changed the formation, whilst I didn't want to see the change I can see he did it to try and give us an outlet as we were continuing to give the ball away as soon as we won it. We desperately needed someone to hold onto the ball. LJ has to live and die by his decisions however I do feel he was let down in the last 30mins by some real basic passing errors. 

10 minutes ago, Donkeeebles said:

At 2-1 LJ changed the formation, whilst I didn't want to see the change I can see he did it to try and give us an outlet as we were continuing to give the ball away as soon as we won it. We desperately needed someone to hold onto the ball. LJ has to live and die by his decisions however I do feel he was let down in the last 30mins by some real basic passing errors. 

The formation was working, Johnson changed it. 

We sat too deep , he did nothing. 

Odowda injured, we had a direct replacement  but Johnson changed him for an ACM. 

He also took the other wideman off , again direct replacement on the bench, he changed him for a target man.

Tammy was chasing back to help out the defence, Johnson was quiet then, he said/did nothing. 

We sat deeper and deeper, a team totally lacking confidence could have done with some vocal leadership from the bench, didn't  see LJ being very demonstrative at all 

While the players can always shoulder some of the blame, todays loss imho , lies firmly with LJ.

35 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

No time to panic and there is no doubt LJ won't be sacked. looks like we are in for 2 strong players and those deals should be done this week. Duric could be ideally suited for what we need and Hegeler has played at a high level in Germany. He is also a strong powerful midfielder. We need reinforcing and this should give us a more physical presence. Would like another CB and an imposing Gk. 

Get behind the team!

Just a pacy winger on the right and a tidy right back and we'll be ok! :grr:

11 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

The formation was working, Johnson changed it. 

We sat too deep , he did nothing. 

Odowda injured, we had a direct replacement  but Johnson changed him for an ACM. 

He also took the other wideman off , again direct replacement on the bench, he changed him for a target man.

Tammy was chasing back to help out the defence, Johnson was quiet then, he said/did nothing. 

We sat deeper and deeper, a team totally lacking confidence could have done with some vocal leadership from the bench, didn't  see LJ being very demonstrative at all 

While the players can always shoulder some of the blame, todays loss imho , lies firmly with LJ.

Reading had already scored and were pushing for the 2nd when he changed formation.

We sat too deep because as I said above we kept giving the ball straight back to them, LJ tried to counter that by putting Wilbs on as an outlet. 

Tammy was dropping deeper and deeper as you say which again is why he put Wilbs on. 

He definitely didn't do nothing

The first sub really changed this game. Despite having little possession we were far more effective with it than Reading. The players were putting in such a shift that Reading looked puzzled at what to do to break us down. 

I can see why Wilbs was brought on to try and occupy the centre halves more with Tammy but we lost the battle so badly in midfield after that first sub that it became inevitable we may cave in and did unfortunately.

You could put this on LJ obviously, after all he did it of course, there were also other options on the bench that may have worked better but it does really come down to not having enough quality overall which I'm hoping gets sorted in January. Appears new arrivals are imminent. 

5 minutes ago, Donkeeebles said:

Reading had already scored and were pushing for the 2nd when he changed formation.

We sat too deep because as I said above we kept giving the ball straight back to them, LJ tried to counter that by putting Wilbs on as an outlet. 

Tammy was dropping deeper and deeper as you say which again is why he put Wilbs on. 

He definitely didn't do nothing

He should have been screaming to push out, the MF were on top of the back 4. 

We had restricted Reading to long shots until Wilbs came on , there was obviously a little more room as Korey pushed into the 4. I get that LJ wanted the ball to stick a little but he'd have been better off giving Tomlin a run . He could have held it and ran with it, if we had had a DM on the bench we could have continued to clog the MF for space. Too many crazy decisions today.

Archived