IGNORED

Why do you support the City?

Jerseybean

Because its who my family support plus its my city.

I will never understand people saying they like football then choosing to support Chelsea etc. over their local team.

No ******* back bone or sense of pride. If youve got mates like that then watch your back in a fight because they probably help the other bloke of they think he's got s better chance of winning.

Because my grandfather was one of the earliest supporters in 19th century, and saw us in the Cup Final. Because my father was a lifelong supporter.  Now my wife, son, daughter, son in law and grandson are all supporters.

Three generations of us, six fans in total, saw City win the tinpot trophy at Wembley. Grandson aged three, shouting City as the 5th generation.

I only hope my grandson sees the glory days of my grandfather return, and if not he will get the chance to see another Atyeo in a red shirt.

None of us now live in Bristol, and my son was following today's match on otib waiting for a flight from Seattle to Phoenix, but we all remain CTID.

In 1991 I went to a game with my U11 football team. I haved loved the club ever since. Rarely miss home or away and haven't for years. It just caught me. Never boo, never want more, love is unconditional and support is blind irrelevant of performance or result. 

I got infected in 1973 after going up on the train from Taunton with mates - the first time my mum allowed me to do anything like that on my own.

A wise man once said `If you have to explain why you support your club to someone, they will never understand why you do it. Those who do understand will never require you to explain`

because I was born at the wrong time in the wrong place and grew up with the wrong people......

If only we'd had sky and the Premiership in the 60's I'd have been able to revel in the glories of my chosen team/teams from the comfort of my own armchair these past 50 years clad in polyester. The thrill of rushing home to a cooked tea before walking the dog and cleaning my shoes - finding just enough time to open a beer and see the adverts before kick off and then sampling the atmosphere on a Dolby 7.2 surround sound system is something to be savoured and is always a big talking point in the accountancy department in the morning! 

Who needs to get cold, stand in a busy pub, sit on cold plastic and watch the consistently less than average fare served up at the Theatre of Nightmares year after year with several hundred friends and acquaintances, where's the fun in that?

Because my Bristolian mother had the foresight (and knowledge of dictatorship-era Lisbon hospitals) to pop back to Bristol to have me, thus indelibly linking me to City even if I started life in Portugal in awe of the then biggest stadium in the world (120,000) and regular European Cup finalists. 10 years later after some nice weather, upon returning to Bristol it helped that a) we really were the only team in Bristol b) we wore the same colours as Benfica c) Dziekanowski.

I was born in Bristol and have lived here for most of my life. My dad has been a City fan since he was a boy and took me to my first game when I was about 8 so, like many, an accident of birth. Both my kids (still fairly young) are City fans and come to games with me and my dad, although hopefully games like yesterday won't put them off.

15 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Being a City fan results in lots of things, many of which I could live without, e.g. bitter disappointment, frustration, sadness, false hope, etc but at least it's never dull! Imagine, just for a minute, supporting a team that just plodded-along a team who won a few, drew a couple and lost their fair-share, so all-in-all just did enough to remain stable, how boring would that be?

On the other-hand us City fans are currently wondering (among other things) who our manager will be next month, who might be joining the first team squad in this transfer window, which players are on the way out, why we can not consistently compete at this level, why we are so prone to conceding late goals, what has really happened between LJ and LT/GON, whether we will be in the Championship next season, and so on and so on.

While supporting BCFC is, for most of us, a life-long commitment, it certainly should not be entered into by the faint-hearted and should surely come with a health warning. 

So, as something of a distraction from our current plight I ask, why exactly do you support BCFC?

My Grandad, thanks Grandad, followed the City and we always had discussions about the team , results and players etc .

Although , sadly , I never went to a match with him .

He lived in Hotwells so we were a stone's throw from the ground and often had outings to the park whilst Grandad popped into the Wedlocks for a pint .

Sunday afternoons the Big Match with Bryan Moore often saw us being beaten by QPR, Leicester,Nottingham Forest ...

and then something magical started to happen . We stopped losing matches and for à short time became good .

We won some legendary matches and ascended to the First Division.

I was already hooked but suddenly to be  winning against the big clubs was beyond belief .

It was my  club , even the struggles on and off the pitch consolidated my love and belief in my support .

I still love the club and my identity is tied in with BCFC .

CTID 

Always lived on the dark side (Kingswood, Staple hill, Longwell Green) but lucky to have a dad who chose to follow City and to be born at the right age thereby watching City reach and spend time at the top table.

It's a life sentence but it's our club and they're stuck with us.

Because even though he lived in Longwell Green Grampy Weeks always sent me to get the Green 'Un so he could "check the City".

Because even though he was born and brought up in Warmley my dad took me along with a piece of wood to sit on top one of the barriers in the Enclosure.

Because now, as I'm about to become 50 Toby, Tilly and now Edie - who all sat through Saturday's shambles (and others) - would never forgive me if I said we weren't going anymore.

Bit like baldness I guess. It's passed down through the generations.....

Born in the BRI and grew up in Hotwells.  My dad never took me to AG and doesn't like football that much (although I do drag him to AG at least once a season...and he secretly loves it). My grandfathers both died before I was born, none of my uncle's liked football either. It was up to me to pick a team...I picked the team that I'd grown up nearby.

I could have picked anyone :facepalm:

Good question.

Why I started supporting City is that I moved into a house with a City fan in when I came to Bristol 26 years ago.

Why I continue to is a whole other matter.  

• Easiest way to see mates that I used to see all the time to play football with or to go on the lash with.  Work, injuries, age and family commitments have curtailed the other stuff.   
  • I take my 3 City supporting kids and it is our 'thing'.  When we don't always talk about the important things in life as we should, but we can always share the joy of a goal, the disappointment of a defeat, and long drives to away game and quality time that boredom can only bring.  Shared disappointment and adversity build stronger bonds than relentless joy and happiness in my book.
  • Following City is my soap opera, my life long box set where I can never guess what happens in the next episode.   (Hopefully, a never-ending one).  It is so much more than what just happens on the pitch.
  • A sense of belonging and a common purpose with my fellow reds irrespective of social status, political beliefs, creed, colour, wealth.
  • To watch football played the right way by kids born locally and developed by the club.    
  • It most definitely isn't about City being a success.  Sure, I want to see us win our fair share but as long as there's still the other stuff (and maybe a bit of hope) then it really doesn't matter that much about success.  If it about success then I would have stuck with Man Utd, but I'd have missed out on all the important stuff that a fan that goes to the game with his kids and mates can only give you.  Success is overated in my book and can end up making you a bit of an arrogant dick.

CTID

13 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

Good question.

Why I started supporting City is that I moved into a house with a City fan in when I came to Bristol 26 years ago.

Why I continue to is a whole other matter.  

• Easiest way to see mates that I used to see all the time to play football with or to go on the lash with.  Work, injuries, age and family commitments have curtailed the other stuff.   
  • I take my 3 City supporting kids and it is our 'thing'.  When we don't always talk about the important things in life as we should, but we can always share the joy of a goal, the disappointment of a defeat, and long drives to away game and quality time that boredom can only bring.  Shared disappointment and adversity build stronger bonds than relentless joy and happiness in my book.
  • Following City is my soap opera, my life long box set where I can never guess what happens in the next episode.   (Hopefully, a never-ending one).  It is so much more than what just happens on the pitch.
  • A sense of belonging and a common purpose with my fellow reds irrespective of social status, political beliefs, creed, colour, wealth.
  • To watch football played the right way by kids born locally and developed by the club.    
  • It most definitely isn't about City being a success.  Sure, I want to see us win our fair share but as long as there's still the other stuff (and maybe a bit of hope) then it really doesn't matter that much about success.  If it about success then I would have stuck with Man Utd, but I'd have missed out on all the important stuff that a fan that goes to the game with his kids and mates can only give you.  Success is overated in my book and can end up making you a bit of an arrogant dick.

CTID

Great reasons - everyone of them - in my book RAF

Archived