IGNORED

Cotterill's last ten league games in charge.

GrahamC

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Nope. Of his last 27 games (2 of which were against a Prem side) he had won 4.

Not good, but not 2, either..

OK.  Point is over 27 games things clearly weren't good enough. 10 games is a smaller sample size. Not doubting it's a horrendous run of form but quite obviously our early season results are why LJ is still in post. 

I still think people underestimate the impact that SC shouting foul mouth abuse at that fan in the Atyeo with children in earshot at the PNE game had on his dismissal. Enough was enough.

Also with SC there was quite clearly a breakdown in trust between him and the board due to the summer transfer shambles. Had it not been for the previous season SC would've been fired a few weeks before he was IMO.

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Sorry I meant league games. .. so 2 in 24 or whatever it was.

15!

He won 3 of his last 16 league games.

Not good, but back to my original point - 4 points from 33 is no better..

Never mind the results, it's the manner of defeat.

Watching Reading play as though it were an exhibition game with 72% possession, mostly well inside our half, was just pants.

May as well have put the white effing flags up.

Just now, NickJ said:

Watching Reading play as though it were an exhibition game with 72% possession, mostly well inside our half, was just pants.

We're saving those for when Tammy gets injured.

10 minutes ago, NickJ said:

We stuck to a game plan for the first 60 ish mins, to contain Reading and hit them on the break. It worked and we were 2-0 up.

It's what happened from 60 mins onward that was the problem!

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We stuck to a game plan for the first 60 ish mins, to contain Reading and hit them on the break. It worked and we were 2-0 up.

It's what happened from 60 mins onward that was the problem!

Mate don't "Kid" yourself we were lucky to be 2 up!

Reading dominated the entire game and we capitalised on a defensive error and a silly penalty.

If that is the extent of the master plan, then LJ is not quite the next wonder manager as advertised.

When you play as we did, the question is not if the opposition will score, but when.

Never thought I'd see the day when a Bristol City team would play like that at home, against a team from the same division.

2 hours ago, NickJ said:

Mate don't "Kid" yourself we were lucky to be 2 up!

Reading dominated the entire game and we capitalised on a defensive error and a silly penalty.

If that is the extent of the master plan, then LJ is not quite the next wonder manager as advertised.

When you play as we did, the question is not if the opposition will score, but when.

Never thought I'd see the day when a Bristol City team would play like that at home, against a team from the same division.

We've seen that many times before Nick. Two that spring to mind are Saints at home in our first season in the C'ship under GJ when we won 2-1 and also last season under SC at home to MK Dons. They were below us in the table (and we were bottom 3 or 4 from memory) but at 1-0 up we spent the entire second half sat back on the edge of our own penalty area. Eventually the Mongs got a deserved equaliser.

There are many ways to win games and you don't always have to boss possession to do so. Two proponents of containing teams and hitting them on the break would be Mourinho and Benitez who have both used this tactic to great effect in their careers, particularly in the Champions League. Stop sides getting into areas where they can hurt you. Play on the counter attack and make the most of your set pieces.

I disagree that we didn't deserve to go 2-0 up, we capitalised on their errors which is a positive not a negative. I don't recall Frankie being tested in the first half?

I don't believe this style of football is LJ's 'master plan', in fact I know it's not, far from it. But unfortunately due to this horrible run of form, he has a group of players short on confidence, and is resorting to a more negative style of football just to get a much needed win on the board. Whether that's the right thing to do, I'm not sure. It looked like it was the correct thing to do for much of yesterday's game but I believe he went far too defensively once he brought on Wilbs and Reid, we defended even deeper and sadly the inevitable happened...

On Tuesday, 3 January 2017 at 07:47, GrahamC said:

One win, three draws, six defeats.

So explain to me how one win, nine defeats keeps his successor in a job?

Hi Graham.

I have been amazed by the selections and bench players. We have too many League 1 players and not enough Championship standard players. The tactics show why LJ failed at this standard as a player. You have to score more goals than the opposition, you wont do that by passing backwords and sideways. The opposition have time to set up their defensive pattern. As a player in this league, LJ had plenty of posts about not enough goals, assists, just passing backwords and sideways. Our team are playing to similar tactics. I hope he can find some players and tactics........... I dont think he will.

2 hours ago, Rednready said:

Hi Graham.

I have been amazed by the selections and bench players. We have too many League 1 players and not enough Championship standard players. The tactics show why LJ failed at this standard as a player. You have to score more goals than the opposition, you wont do that by passing backwords and sideways. The opposition have time to set up their defensive pattern. As a player in this league, LJ had plenty of posts about not enough goals, assists, just passing backwords and sideways. Our team are playing to similar tactics. I hope he can find some players and tactics........... I dont think he will.

Bloody hell!

Welcome back.

13 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We've seen that many times before Nick. Two that spring to mind are Saints at home in our first season in the C'ship under GJ when we won 2-1 and also last season under SC at home to MK Dons. They were below us in the table (and we were bottom 3 or 4 from memory) but at 1-0 up we spent the entire second half sat back on the edge of our own penalty area. Eventually the Mongs got a deserved equaliser.

There are many ways to win games and you don't always have to boss possession to do so. Two proponents of containing teams and hitting them on the break would be Mourinho and Benitez who have both used this tactic to great effect in their careers, particularly in the Champions League. Stop sides getting into areas where they can hurt you. Play on the counter attack and make the most of your set pieces.

I disagree that we didn't deserve to go 2-0 up, we capitalised on their errors which is a positive not a negative. I don't recall Frankie being tested in the first half?

I don't believe this style of football is LJ's 'master plan', in fact I know it's not, far from it. But unfortunately due to this horrible run of form, he has a group of players short on confidence, and is resorting to a more negative style of football just to get a much needed win on the board. Whether that's the right thing to do, I'm not sure. It looked like it was the correct thing to do for much of yesterday's game but I believe he went far too defensively once he brought on Wilbs and Reid, we defended even deeper and sadly the inevitable happened...

Agreed we sat back against MK but that as you say was in the 2nd half only when 1 up. I was disappointed at SC with that though, we should have gone for the jugular.

The fact is mate we have never played so deep and defensively at home from the very first minute.

Reading did not have as many shots as you would expect from a team with so much possession, but they did for example hit the bar in the first half.

As for counter attack, that generally means hitting teams quickly in numbers. We attached quickly about half a dozen times and in the main other than Tammy it was only Bryan getting forward with him.

There is a thread "Still in shock" where the OP puts all this better than I have.

LJ has read the text book and invented a few of his own buzz words, he is intelligent and a nice enough lad. But, as I said from day one, I cannot see him having the force of personality, in the right way, to be a successful manager.

6 hours ago, Rednready said:

Hi Graham.

Great to see you on the forum again R&R.

Welcome back. :city:

Archived