IGNORED

Cotterill's last ten league games in charge.

GrahamC

31 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

If, if, if. Alternatively, they may not have found the gear they needed to actually create something and may have continued with their passing which didn't give Frank Fielding too much to deal with.

How do we know it was that 10 game spell that created the decision and not the season to date as a whole? After 26 games this season we'll have at least 6 points more to our name.

My comment was about the likes of Bob Bradley, I think he got about ten games and was sacked.

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Undoubtedly it was stupid. But he was making a point. Not in the way I'd recommend, but a point none the less. 

It was beyond stupid, this is a professional football club, if you can fill the bench, you fill it.  He deserved the sack for that. I am surprised he didn't get dumped there and then.  I am sure he was probably breaking FA rules as well

55 minutes ago, Sergio Georgini said:

Cotterills pathetic attitude at times after losing and getting thrashed numerous times was a factor too. 

TBF, I think there were clearly problems behind the scenes and they were evident as soon as the season started....we did not have a championship quality team.  There was clearly something going awry and we only stayed up because we signed championship quality players (Odemwinghe, Tomlin, Matthews, Baker). I think SC's problem was that he thought he would win the power struggle because of the "double" he had just done. He was wrong.... since promotion we have regressed back into bad habits and despite a promising start by LJ his momentum has now run out. The recruitment drive whilst positive did not result in substantial changes to the first 11 from that which was nearly relegated. Thus, can we be surprised by our current plight. Throw in the fact that LJ was never a popular choice of manager, the current "Johnson Out" mood was inevitable as soon as he hit a bad patch. Personally, I did not want Johnson but I am loathed to see him sacked as I don't think chopping and changing the manager is right in the longer term. It is about time the board nailed their colours to the mast and publicly backed LJ. The atmosphere at full time today was hostile and I can only see this growing.

Tearing my hair out with Cotts at the end and couldn't see any option other than to call time

But blimey , I don't think it was as depressing as this with lots of sound bites , excuses and demand for 'three more windows'

Cant believe it's worse than Cotts demise , but IMHO , it is

I always thought Cotts might turn it round but don't even feel that  with Lee

36 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

TBF, I think there were clearly problems behind the scenes and they were evident as soon as the season started....we did not have a championship quality team.  There was clearly something going awry and we only stayed up because we signed championship quality players (Odemwinghe, Tomlin, Matthews, Baker). I think SC's problem was that he thought he would win the power struggle because of the "double" he had just done. He was wrong.... since promotion we have regressed back into bad habits and despite a promising start by LJ his momentum has now run out. The recruitment drive whilst positive did not result in substantial changes to the first 11 from that which was nearly relegated. Thus, can we be surprised by our current plight. Throw in the fact that LJ was never a popular choice of manager, the current "Johnson Out" mood was inevitable as soon as he hit a bad patch. Personally, I did not want Johnson but I am loathed to see him sacked as I don't think chopping and changing the manager is right in the longer term. It is about time the board nailed their colours to the mast and publicly backed LJ. The atmosphere at full time today was hostile and I can only see this growing.

Pretty much agree with most of that but I cannot see the board coming out and backing the Head Coach too openly, things are bad and getting worse, I don't think the owner spent all of the money on a redeveloped stadium to play in L1.

3 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

How did Cotts manage to bid £9M for Dwight Gayle then? The money was there, he couldn't persuade anybody (apart from Kodjia) to join.

We are small tim, we may be great to me and you, butt o everyone else we are shit.

It needs more than an idea from a owner to base his model on Barcelona... he needs tobe prepared to pay what Barcelona do, that is not going to happen, and quite rightly so, As much as I don't agree with SL, I don't advocate spunking his hard earned money up against the wall.  If we want to attract such players we need a conglomerate in charge, wielding the cash and selling the cub to the stars that want to sign.  Not shouting the mantra we live within our means buying young talent and selling them on for a profit

When that happens, I will stop supporting, all that premiership guff is killing football for me.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

One win, three draws, six defeats.

So explain to me how one win, nine defeats keeps his successor in a job?

Graham - I follow virtually all of your posts (stalker), because you post lots of decent stuff, but I'd not really clocked your view on LJ.

Is today the day you made up your mind?  I'd not noticed whether you were for or against!

For me it is the day I turned.

9 hours ago, GrahamC said:

One win, three draws, six defeats.

So explain to me how one win, nine defeats keeps his successor in a job?

And 30 seconds from winning away at a Premiership team too... :whistle:

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Graham - I follow virtually all of your posts (stalker), because you post lots of decent stuff, but I'd not really clocked your view on LJ.

Is today the day you made up your mind?  I'd not noticed whether you were for or against!

For me it is the day I turned.

Yes.

We came close (again) to getting a point, but the bizarre team selection and unfathomable subs bench made me think at 2pm he has lost it and so is now just trying random stuff in the vague possibility that it works.

It also worries me greatly that he will presumably be given until the Cardiff game at least, by when we will probably have 2/3 new foreign players in.

Magnusson aside, let's be honest, our track record from abroad is pretty desperate, they may (or not) be good players but I worry we will just be leaving his successor an even bigger mess to untangle.

10 hours ago, Fuber said:

To be fair, if it wasnt for the two gifts from the Reading defence, it would've been 3-0, and quite rightly so. Bar the occasional counter - always likely against a team playing as high up the pitch as Reading - we rarely threatened, off the ball we were pretty dire. And we've also spent almost £5m on the defence since then with Magnusson, Moore, Matthews, and Golbourne.

I must have imagined us missing 2 great opportunities to score a 3rd and put the game to bed at 2-0 up then.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yes.

We came close (again) to getting a point, but the bizarre team selection and unfathomable subs bench made me think at 2pm he has lost it and so is now just trying random stuff in the vague possibility that it works.

It also worries me greatly that he will presumably be given until the Cardiff game at least, by when we will probably have 2/3 new foreign players in.

Magnusson aside, let's be honest, our track record from abroad is pretty desperate, they may (or not) be good players but I worry we will just be leaving his successor an even bigger mess to untangle.

I quite like Lee, did as a player and as a manager. Watched him when he was stood on the touch line with Oldham and wished one day he would be here managing us. But even I got to admit when I heard the news (on the way to Charlton on the broken down coach) the news was met with universal shock and disbelief amongst my fellow travellers, and I did think we were at least a club too soon, or 2 or 3 years to early for him.

I must admit I saw the team yesterday and wonder if he was either frantically trying to find a selection that worked...or trying to get relieved of his duties.

How sad is it that we find ourselves struggling again and we are having this discussion so soon. No we aren't dead and buried yet, the fat lady isn't singing, but there seems so few green shoots visible. 

Heart says back him, but my head is banging around with other thoughts. 

17 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I must have imagined us missing 2 great opportunities to score a 3rd and put the game to bed at 2-0 up then.

Even at 3 nil I wouldn't believe the game could be tagged as "put to bed". We have a very weak and vulnerable streak in our team. I would suggest when the first goal went in yesterday for Reading, many would've turned to the person next to them and whispered the words "here we go then!". 

14 minutes ago, Port Pete said:

Even at 3 nil I wouldn't believe the game could be tagged as "put to bed". We have a very weak and vulnerable streak in our team. I would suggest when the first goal went in yesterday for Reading, many would've turned to the person next to them and whispered the words "here we go then!". 

Yes of course. Because of the run that we are one and playing a team in great form and full of confidence. 

Maybe if those in the crowd yesterday had shown a bit more support at 2-0 up..? It was a very flat atmosphere for such a great position against a top team. 

22 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Amazing how some people still talk more fondly of Johnson than they do of Cotterill

I must tend to agree. Cotts the person I didn't particularly like but he's been our must successful manager for a while. LJ does come across rather well when being interviewed and so far has had limited success. Strange really. 

Cotterill didn't help himself telling fans to shut up and keep there opinions to themselves as he walk off for half time when we were 0-1 down to Preston, as soon as that happened you new his days were numbered as it was a totally unprofessional and unnecessary action 

Johnson on the other hand is just too week and indecisive with his tactics and line ups really can't see him turning this around, all the fans saying we are unlucky etc are mistaken this terrible form is now entering nearly a third of our games this season and show no signs of improvement just think of the mess we could be in after another 10 games. While some one like rowett is out of work we should be acting now to make we stand a chance of staying up.

Remind me, just where in the table were City this time last year compared to now?
Was it in the relegation zone? How many points did we have this time last year?
That difference is probably what's keeping LJ in his job at the moment (some on here probably have LJ down as SL's love child)?

I was surprised when LJ's name came up last year but he's the manager at the moment (just I think). Get over it.

You have the contrast of Cotts doing the same thing over and over again and wondering why it wasn't working, and Johnson trying different combinations every game and wondering why players look unsettled.

But the reason Cotterill was sacked was that we were in the relegation zone, had been all season, and he had pinned his hopes on landing the mega-talent that was Bolton's Zac Clough :blink:

Should we find ourselves in a similar position, Johnson will be out the door faster than you can say "he looked better with a beard."

5 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

If he goes, then keep Pembo at least until the end of the season. No one will want to come of any use anyway.

Personally I would put him in as manager (not caeetaker) until the end of the season and on the proviso that if we're in this division he gets next season as well. That way, any incoming signings will know who the boss is likely to be.

*caretaker (can't delete, site doesn't like my phone)

Archived