IGNORED

Bad decisions followed by bad decisions

rockinredrobin

We all know that when LJ was appointed that he would not have been appointed by ANY other club in the Championship - if rumour has it correct LJ has stayed close friends with Jon and Steve Lansdown and its clear that this friendship influenced the appointment

LJ's record as a player was not stellar and his record as a manager at League One level was 56 wins in 154 games - so again not stellar

We then had Mr Ashton ( or Mr DNA ) telling us that LJ was a highly sought after coach that we were 'lucky' to get - but the reality is that since SL got his fingers burnt with Steve Coppell we have seen a flow of managers that either were grateful to get the opportunity or had no Championship managerial experience ( Millen / McInnes / O'Dismal / Steve Cotterill ) - to me LJ is another in that trend - grateful to get the opportunity - won't make any waves and certainly wont challenge SL

We then saw LJ bring in something like 13 new players in the Summer and barring the injuries to G ONeill - ( big rumour is he isn't injured - him and Tomlin have fallen out with LJ which will probably see LT leave this month )  we are now seeing a first 11 where 8 or 9 are routinely part of the same team that was going to get relegated under Cotterill this time last year !

So what we have is a rookie manager - 2 experienced new signings that have ( allegedly ) fallen out with the manager - a bunch of League 1 quality players and a smattering of youngsters deemed not good enough to get a game

The alarming thing is that we are now linked to 2 foreign unknown quantities from France and the Italian 2nd Division - nowhere near what the Team needs to get out of trouble

We all realise that SL will try to be as loyal to LJ as possible ( particularly given the ludicrous contract extension recently awarded ) but as always results will be the final arbiter

I cannot see Steve Lansdown being happy with the Rugby and BCFC both getting relegated this season

Unfortunately for Lee Johnson I cannot see any points being picked up from the next 4 league games : Cardiff / Forest / Villa / Sheff Weds .........and I think unfortunately zero points return from these matches will see us in bottom three and the inevitable parting of the ways

29 minutes ago, rockinredrobin said:

LJ's record as a player was not stellar

We then had Mr Ashton ( or Mr DNA ) telling us...

1) Why is Lee Johnson's playing relevant? Did this harm Sir Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho, Arsene Wenger? Or is it just a stick to beat him with?

2) Why does anyone when trying to put their thoughts into words need to resort to using stupid, provocative nicknames? Is it meant to be funny?

18 minutes ago, rockinredrobin said:

We all know that when LJ was appointed that he would not have been appointed by ANY other club in the Championship - if rumour has it correct LJ has stayed close friends with Jon and Steve Lansdown and its clear that this friendship influenced the appointment

LJ's record as a player was not stellar and his record as a manager at League One level was 56 wins in 154 games - so again not stellar

We then had Mr Ashton ( or Mr DNA ) telling us that LJ was a highly sought after coach that we were 'lucky' to get - but the reality is that since SL got his fingers burnt with Steve Coppell we have seen a flow of managers that either were grateful to get the opportunity or had no Championship managerial experience ( Millen / McInnes / O'Dismal / Steve Cotterill ) - to me LJ is another in that trend - grateful to get the opportunity - won't make any waves and certainly wont challenge SL

We then saw LJ bring in something like 13 new players in the Summer and barring the injuries to G ONeill - ( big rumour is he isn't injured - him and Tomlin have fallen out with LJ which will probably see LT leave this month )  we are now seeing a first 11 where 8 or 9 are routinely part of the same team that was going to get relegated under Cotterill this time last year !

So what we have is a rookie manager - 2 experienced new signings that have ( allegedly ) fallen out with the manager - a bunch of League 1 quality players and a smattering of youngsters deemed not good enough to get a game

The alarming thing is that we are now linked to 2 foreign unknown quantities from France and the Italian 2nd Division - nowhere near what the Team needs to get out of trouble

We all realise that SL will try to be as loyal to LJ as possible ( particularly given the ludicrous contract extension recently awarded ) but as always results will be the final arbiter

I cannot see Steve Lansdown being happy with the Rugby and BCFC both getting relegated this season

Unfortunately for Lee Johnson I cannot see any points being picked up from the next 4 league games : Cardiff / Forest / Villa / Sheff Weds .........and I think unfortunately zero points return from these matches will see us in bottom three and the inevitable parting of the ways

You're right, it was a bad decision to read this .........

10 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

1) Why is Lee Johnson's playing relevant? Did this harm Sir Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho, Arsene Wenger? Or is it just a stick to beat him with?

2) Why does anyone when trying to put their thoughts into words need to resort to using stupid, provactive nicknames? Is it meant to be funny?

Absolutely agree with both of those points.

As to the rest of the OP, there's a lot of speculation in there.  Maybe O'Neill and Tomlin have fallen out with the manager, maybe LT will leave, and maybe SL appointed those managers for the reasons you suggest or maybe it was a gamble based on seeing potential and thinking they were the right fit for the club.  It's worth noting it's nonsense to say Cotterill had no Championship experience - he had around 5 years' worth and that McInnes hasn't done badly for himself since he left (nor has Millen really, albeit as an assistant).

It's also worth noting Kodjia was a signing from the French Ligue 2.  I suspect, like me, you have no idea whether the two guys we're bringing in are the players to get us out of trouble.  I know little about them but will reserve my judgement until I've seen them on a football pitch. 

I'm concerned about the run of results for sure but not entirely sure why it needs to be spun out into an elaborate conspiracy theory where our board is a disaster and are almost doing it on purpose. 

36 minutes ago, rockinredrobin said:

How do you know that? I think it would be unlikely, but there's no proof.

His playing career is absolutely irrelevant. The point you make about his win ratio in league 1 also doesn't hold much weight, and is a very very basic point. It doesn't take into account the fact that Oldham are a poor side in that league and his remit was about keeping them up. Sean Dyche or Eddie Howe don't have fantastic premier league win rates, but that doesn't make them poor managers because of who they are managing. Look at the bigger picture.

No evidence at all that he won't

Not exactly, 

• Fielding
  • LittleBooked at 64mins
  • Flint
  • Matthews
  • Golbourne
  • Smith
  • O'Dowda
  • Brownhill
  • Bryan
  • FreemanSubstituted for
  • AbrahamBooked at 62mins

6/11 players from yesterday were regular starters under SC. It may have only been 5 if Magnusson was fit.

An international and a player who's played in the German top flight and champions league. I would say that's very good pedigree.

Obviously

Obviously

I can - you cannot predict how this league is going to go. The new signings may be the fresh impetus we need to push on out of the rut.

46 minutes ago, rockinredrobin said:

Just out of interest: are you a member of the Supporters' Club?

Bad decisions followed by bad decisions - agreed.

It was a bad decision to come onto OTIB when things started to go downhill on the pitch and a further bad decision to come on here again after yesterday's result.

9 minutes ago, leadman said:

I think he needs to win the next 2 games to keep his job.

What about if we draw them both? Wouldn't be surprised at that outcome. I agree that he should go if we lose both - although I'm not sure it will happen. Draws would make it much tougher to call although I still would feel that isn't enough to convince that we will start to improve.

4 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

What about if we draw them both? Wouldn't be surprised at that outcome. I agree that he should go if we lose both - although I'm not sure it will happen. Draws would make it much tougher to call although I still would feel that isn't enough to convince that we will start to improve.

I think its wins that will be required for him to stay in the job, there is rowett available, blues friend of mine was not happy when he got fired, proven championship knowledge.

I would give pembo a chance, brought in good loans last season and improved things.

tbh, I just hope we win both games and carry on improving.

5 hours ago, rockinredrobin said:

Captain hindsight strikes again!! For this to be half a credible post I will have to check to see if you wee saying the same things at the start of the season?? Or are you jumping on the Johnson out bandwagon ??

I posted this last week and got a load of stick 

will reiterate that City won't get to Prem with Steve Ls ownership I'm afraid poor decisions 

i want us to be successful but you have to look at us objectively and you will see that we will not win any of the next 3 league games Forest and Villa away and Sheff Weds at home 

by that time tfr window shut and the players you have is all you will have for rest of the season so the only option left will be to change the manager 

So Lee will go after these games if not before 

3 minutes ago, rockinredrobin said:

will reiterate that City won't get to Prem with Steve Ls ownership I'm afraid poor decisions 

i want us to be successful but you have to look at us objectively and you will see that we will not win any of the next 3 league games Forest and Villa away and Sheff Weds at home 

by that time tfr window shut and the players you have is all you will have for rest of the season so the only option left will be to change the manager 

And I hope you get a load of stick now for raising it again and trying to be Smuggy McSmuggins over rather a tawdry post of speculation, innuendo and petty insults.

I feel LJ must go but that is the only thing I agree with in a nasty post of cheap shots.

36 minutes ago, rockinredrobin said:

Just by reading this I can tell you are a 30-40 year old single bloke who lives at home with mummy? 

Why are you taking do much pleasure in us losing?  

I am not mate - actually 50 y/o professional with 2 grown up children - City fan since 7 years old in the Dolman Schoolboy enclosure

Not happy City are failing - really want us to be a success - but I stated LJ was wrong appointment at the time and take no satisfaction in seeing my prediction come true - see my previous posts in September 2014 I predicted we should all sit back and enjoy the promotion that came to us under Cotterill - have a search - I am optimistic when there is grounds to be optimistic

Predicted we would not get anything from the Forest away game - and listening to LJ's odd post match comments about players Saturday night drinking - just confirmed for me he's lost the players and he should know better - even very good managers like Mourinho get the sack once they have lost the players ( and Lee even has the very close to home example of his Dad getting the sack from City after falling out with senior players ! )

I hope I am wrong but I can't see us winning at Villa or home to Wednesday either - I do now think though that it will take a big defeat and us actually being in the bottom 3 for SL to act

If I am really honest I am no longer sure if City will progress to the level we would all like to see as long as SL is making the big decisions

One positive though - at least we are signing big physical players as I think we have been lightweight for too long

I also think we have enough quality to avoid relegation but it might not show itself until LJ has left

PS we are all entitled to our opinion so quite why my opinion and perspective elicits such nasty responses like :Just by reading this I can tell you are a 30-40 year old single bloke who lives at home with mummy? I don't know

I think Spoons response to me says more about him than it does about me

cheers all

On 03/01/2017 at 13:35, rockinredrobin said:

Sorry, just a personal gripe about hyperbole.  Fed up with people (in all walks of life) prefacing their personal opinions with "We all know that..." or "Everyone knows that...".

What you mean is "I think that when LJ was appointed that he would not have been appointed by ANY other club in the Championship, and some people I know agree with me".  As it happens, I don't.  It's not a big deal, but I don't want to be apart of 'we all' in this case (and others).

Thanks RobboRed

Of course the down side of my reading of how this will play out is that I am worried about the quality of LJ's replacement if and when he leaves - but I think results will pick up even if John Pemberton is left in charge for a while

What I can't for the life of me work out is whether there is any link in the arrival of Dean Holden and the timing of the bad run  !

I am really concerned that Mark Ashton's Oxford links would mean that Michael Appleton would get appointed - and if you have read any of Dave Kitson's Secret Footballer books you will get a sense of what Appleton is like !

Kitson was ( and may still be ) Callum O'Dowda's agent so that is also an interesting read from his last book too

In answer to The Dolman Pragmatist - what I meant was that - at that point in time when Cotterill was sacked - I really don't believe any other club in the Championship would have appointed Lee Johnson on the basis of his age , experience and managerial record as manager of Oldham and Barnsley - eg I truly believe that the only reason City appointed him was because he was an ex -player , he has stayed close ( ish ) friends with the Lansdowns ( that is fact ) AND the fact that he would play the hand he was dealt in terms of players / transfers / strategy and would not make any waves as he would - quite rightly - be grateful to get a shot at managing BCFC

I never believed any of the 'hype' at his appointment that Mark Ashton tried to create with comments like -

Lee is a really sought after young coach and several Premier League Clubs are interested in him

- but time will tell I guess - if LJ does leave City soon we will see where his next job is and how sought after he is - I truly doubt though that his next job after BCFC will be as a Premier League manager

On 1/3/2017 at 14:41, View from the Dolman said:

2) Why does anyone when trying to put their thoughts into words need to resort to using stupid, provocative nicknames? Is it meant to be funny?

1). Because it is said by people actually played the game professionally, that teams often mirror their manager as a player and we are a soft touch, LJ has even said that we are.

2). I agree with you.

8 minutes ago, rockinredrobin said:

OK ALL ?

I POSTED THIS ON 3 JAN - and got quite a lot of abuse ......nothing really changed since then has it ?

LJ still in charge and we are still headed for relegation

Can anybody give me a reason to be cheerful ?

Nope: we are f*****g doomed.

:badmood:

tfj

25 minutes ago, rockinredrobin said:

OK ALL ?

I POSTED THIS ON 3 JAN - and got quite a lot of abuse ......nothing really changed since then has it ?

We arent Blackburn or Rotherham? That's all ive got. Its a battle for one relegation spot, its not as bad as the last time we went down.

2 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

What I mean is, there is one team already dead and buried. Rotherham are down all but mathematically.

Blackburn are on slightly better form than us, but with all the mess going on off the pitch with their owners / protests etc I would say we are in a slightly better position.

We also still have to play 7 of the teams around us, though I appreciate that isnt necessarily a good thing if they all take points off of us!

In 2013 every other team put up a fight. Peterborough went down despite a 10 game unbeaten run and only 2 defeats in the last 13 games. We just sunk without a trace of a fight from March

Another interesting yet devastating set of stats : we have taken 9 points from last 60 ( other sacked managers must be scratching their heads as to how LJ has survived that ! ) anyway if we need at least 47 points to stay up that means 5 wins from 15 and a points take of 15 from 45 - that is some turnaround in form

Also when we lost to Warnocks Cardiff on 14 October we had played 11 matches ( as had they ) and we had 12 more points than them - no they have 13 more points than us - so a turnaround of 25 points !

So to all on OTIB that hate Neil Warnock ....that's why we should have appointed him last season when we had the chance

I reiterate here and now : if we take a maximum of 2 points only from Fulham / Villa / Newcastle matches AND THEN we FAIL to beat Burton ...we will most probably get relegated

If SL does sack LJ after those 4 matches then who has any confidence that he would appoint a decent manager ?

I truly feel that we wont progress as a Club whilst SL is making the Team manager decisions ......however as fans we must accept that the Club's existence / survival / progression is totally reliant on SL's financial support than the revenue raised from Fans so it is effectively his Club and he will do as he see's fit ( unfortunately I hoped he would appoint a real decent 'football' man to help with these decisions but he got Mark Ashton who appears to be little more than a corporate 'survivor' and I don't see him rocking the boat any more than I see LJ doing so )

If LJ does leave this season ( which will get badged as 'mutual consent ' if it does happen btw ) then the successor is more likely to be a Michael Appleton than a Neil Warnock

1 minute ago, rockinredrobin said:

Another interesting yet devastating set of stats : we have taken 9 points from last 60 ( other sacked managers must be scratching their heads as to how LJ has survived that ! ) anyway if we need at least 47 points to stay up that means 5 wins from 15 and a points take of 15 from 45 - that is some turnaround in form

Also when we lost to Warnocks Cardiff on 14 October we had played 11 matches ( as had they ) and we had 12 more points than them - no they have 13 more points than us - so a turnaround of 25 points !

So to all on OTIB that hate Neil Warnock ....that's why we should have appointed him last season when we had the chance

I reiterate here and now : if we take a maximum of 2 points only from Fulham / Villa / Newcastle matches AND THEN we FAIL to beat Burton ...we will most probably get relegated

If SL does sack LJ after those 4 matches then who has any confidence that he would appoint a decent manager ?

I truly feel that we wont progress as a Club whilst SL is making the Team manager decisions ......however as fans we must accept that the Club's existence / survival / progression is totally reliant on SL's financial support than the revenue raised from Fans so it is effectively his Club and he will do as he see's fit ( unfortunately I hoped he would appoint a real decent 'football' man to help with these decisions but he got Mark Ashton who appears to be little more than a corporate 'survivor' and I don't see him rocking the boat any more than I see LJ doing so )

If LJ does leave this season ( which will get badged as 'mutual consent ' if it does happen btw ) then the successor is more likely to be a Michael Appleton than a Neil Warnock

On the flip side, if we can take at least 15 points from the 7 winnable games against teams around us, then we will be alright.

It would take a turn around in form, but its not completely impossible

1 hour ago, rockinredrobin said:

OK ALL ?

Health service glasses
Gigolos and brasses
Round or skinny bottoms
Take your mum to Paris
Lighting up the chalice
Wee Willy Harris

Archived