IGNORED

We Have Come So Far In Just A Few Years

One Team In Keynsham

50 minutes ago, oldrosie said:

Reading have come a fair way since Elm Park, however?? Discuss.

Madjeski was about ten years ahead of SL - before all this ffp - and they moved to a 21st century stadium. So, if we had had SL, his billion, and Ashton Vale by 2005, no later, it might all have been different.

Reading were fortunate with the timing. Being close to the capital helps too, I believe

Is funny how history seems to repeat. Preston at home in Jan was very similar to Preston at home in December. The scoreline, general pattern of the game, losing in last 10 mins...both of these games in past were at the end of the reign of a manager- yet we've had these two in the space of a few weeks!

The team is overall better but not improved enough probably to compete properly...plus Pitman, Albert, Maynard and yes even that late in his career Carey was good and still our best defender at that time with ball at feet.

Have we progressed so much?

11 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

Reading were fortunate with the timing. Being close to the capital helps too, I believe

Or indeed being anywhere that isn't Bristol. How many attempts have there been at building a new stadium in the city in the past 30 years?

For what it's worth, I think the current team looks to have more promise than the 2011 team but both are lacking a solid spine. We failed to add one back then and the success of the current team will depend on whether one can be recruited in the upcoming windows.

16 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

the years of progress.JPG

That was truly one of the most bizarre games I've ever worked on.

We weren't just 2-0 up, we were absolutely cruising and in complete control.

Unfortunately, at 2-1 the players just threw the towel in - exactly as they did the following week in losing 5-0 at Blackpool, costing Keith Millen his job.

Not to say KM was the best man for the job, mind you, but I don't think I've ever seen a manager so badly stitched up by a group of players as he was. Proper spineless stuff.

12 minutes ago, Kim_il_sung said:

We are in a much much better position now than we were then, both on and off the pitch. Anyone who didagrees has a very short memory.

Off the pitch- 100%, more than 100% yeah. Revenue up, fanbase expanded and this is one of the big successes for the club I think, a more prudent transfer policy and not signing journeymen for the hell of it oh yeah the resale value 100%. Better run.

On the pitch if we judge purely on results, the results are little different to 5 years ago and in fact worse off than under Millen this time 6 years ago.

7 hours ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Or indeed being anywhere that isn't Bristol. How many attempts have there been at building a new stadium in the city in the past 30 years?

For what it's worth, I think the current team looks to have more promise than the 2011 team but both are lacking a solid spine. We failed to add one back then and the success of the current team will depend on whether one can be recruited in the upcoming windows.

Maybe that's the problem...we're spineless and always have been.

Bizarre that Reading got three goals from the 72nd minute onwards in that game as well.

We had some good players in 2011 but I would say we are in a much better place now (despite the current losing run).  The attendance difference is significant even though Monday's game was our only home match over the Christmas period.  Having been to the Madjeski, I would argue that our ground is now ahead of Reading's.  That's not to be critical of them in the slightest because I think they've done extremely well over the years.  But Ashton Gate has been rebuilt to a different quality compared to some new stadia.

They are a long way ahead of us on the pitch but I still think we are moving in the right direction.

20 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Carey, Adomah, Maynard, Pitman...I'd say we did...

Tbh each one of those players (In fact the whole team) were a disgrace the following game, not one of them fit to wear the shirt after Blackpool. At least these lads now are trying for Johnson 

Ok from a moral standpoint but they were capable of alot better rather than costing a man his job

20 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

You know what I think you're right. Bloody quality we were. 

image.jpeg

1 win in 13 league games there! I don't remember this place being as divided and depressing then as it is now. Or have I subconsciously blocked that from memory? Maybe we HAVE preogressed in sense that we now expect more from the team? 

5 minutes ago, brizzlelou said:

1 win in 13 league games there! I don't remember this place being as divided and depressing then as it is now. Or have I subconsciously blocked that from memory? Maybe we HAVE preogressed in sense that we now expect more from the team? 

Haha same as me, maybe it was SO bad that I just blocked it out...

Looking at the team sheet above, I think we have a better set of players then we did then... That defence was truly awful and David James? Less said the better

Archived