IGNORED

2-0 up and ....

Fatalist

Bournemouth 2-0 up against Arsenal, second goal a soft penalty. 

Commentator:" What do Bournemouth do now?"

Steve Claridge :" Keep playing as they are. It's no good hoping two banks of four will keep you safe. You don't want to do that."

Are you listening Mr Johnson?

9 minutes ago, Fatalist said:

Steve Claridge :" Keep playing as they are. It's no good hoping two banks of four will keep you safe. You don't want to do that."

Rather listen to lee Johnson than Steve claridge! 

I caught some of the first half. Given the tactical lessons LJ is feeding us all, I keep looking at games now through the lens of thinking what City do different.

Both teams play with the the full backs right up alongside the DM's. The team moves as a unit so in possession everyone pushes up and shifts the third of the pitch the game is played in. Where there is one up top, every time the ball goes anywhere in the strikers direction, the appointed attacking midfielders have already got upfield and BEYOND the striker to drag defenders and create outlets to build further - truly switching to a 4-3-3. The support when in possession and attacking is so much more obvious from both sides. Lastly but inevitably, the work rate and pressing upon losing possession is lightyears ahead of ours.

Not all of that is technique - I assume a lot of it is physical attributes combined with well drilled tactics. No reason we can't do better on both those fronts.

That's stupid.....it was the two banks of four that got us 2 up !

for me, if there's a reason to criticise LJ it was his substitutions, bringing on AW for LF was the worst decision of the game, but it wasn't his fault that we defended so deep, we were tired through our defensive work, as soon as we let 1 in the writing was on the wall, players naturally play deeper when they concede and are trying to defend a lead, LJ shouldn't be blamed for that, especially after his tactics were spot on for the first 70.

34 minutes ago, Fatalist said:

Interesting you compare City to Bournemouth because I was thinking earlier - almost 20 years to the day BFC came to AG and were in a dreadful state - the pre-match talk was whether the club was about to play its last game.

Now look at them - an established Premiership team and leading Arsenal, beating Liverpool by the odd goal in seven, beating Man U. I wouldn't be surprised if they qualified for the Europa League.

Ditto Brighton -20 years ago went to Hereford desperately trying to stay in the FL, Goldstone Ground sold out from under them by Messrs Archer and Belotti. Were exiled so far away that it made the Gas' fortnightly trek to Twerton look like a jaunt to the corner shop. Now look at them - heading for the Prem, playing in front of 30,000 and reportedly signing Lampard on a loan.

City should be aspiring to be emulating those clubs. There's really no reason why we can't aim that high. But currently it is a pipe dream.

The logical conclusion is Bournemouth and Brighton are well-run clubs and we are badly run. Very frustrating.

37 minutes ago, Olé said:

Where there is one up top, every time the ball goes anywhere in the strikers direction, the appointed attacking midfielders have already got upfield and BEYOND the striker to drag defenders and create outlets to build further - truly switching to a 4-3-3. 

This, surely, is the whole point of playing with a lone striker? That rather than the striker being snuffed out by 2 or 3 defenders, he is freed up by the fluidity of the offensive midfield pulling the defence all over. What do you do when it becomes clear that your midfield isn't capable of effectively playing that system?

12 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

This, surely, is the whole point of playing with a lone striker? That rather than the striker being snuffed out by 2 or 3 defenders, he is freed up by the fluidity of the offensive midfield pulling the defence all over. What do you do when it becomes clear that your midfield isn't capable of effectively playing that system?

Exactly....I was saying this in a post yesterday. Playing two up top in a rigid formation leaves you weak in midfield. Playing a lone striker doesn't mean he's on his own it just means you set him up in your plays.

midfield attack as a unit and defend as a unit, plus you got a holding player to cover as well.

the problem is our midfield isn't currently good enough. I believe we have have players capable as in Tomlin and Bryan and with potential new comers we stand a good chance.

with this new tall striker being rumoured as coming in that then makes you think he's gonna play 2 up top or possibly start him up top and slot Tammy in wide?

our squad players are tidy, we just need more quality for the first team.

8 minutes ago, hay dens party said:

3-0 up and they fe@ked it up !

Yes, although still a point they wouldn't have expected to get at the start of play and they are still defying the odds by mixing it with the big boys. Their supporters must be in dreamland.

That result must kill any remote chance Arsenal had of winning the league. With changing managers being so in vogue, it's a real puzzle how he's managed to soldier on for so long. The Gooners have done absolutely nothing since reaching the CL final 11 years ago.

Archived