IGNORED

Bradford rugby league club and Odsall Stadium

22A

I've posted here as it's sport, but not football related.

Bradford Bulls Rugby team have been liquidated. It's the 3rd time the club has gone bust in five years, but this time no one wanted to save them.

The Bradford Bulls have said the liquidator would not accept the offer on the table. But they are going to form a new company and run next season in the championship with a 12 point deduction.

They play at the historic Odsall Stadium which used to be a major speedway venue as well as rugby. The Richard Dunn sports centre just over the road, is likely to be demolished as it's too costly to upkeep and the land sold, the field behind the grandstand (formerly Northern View hospital) has been approved for housing as well, so if RL doesn't get going again presumably the stadium will go for development along with it's surroundings.

Someone posted elsewhere Odsal Stadium is a massive asset for Bradford and surrounding district sat on the end of the motorway with ample land surrounding it.

2 hours ago, 22A said:

I've posted here as it's sport, but not football related.

Bradford Bulls Rugby team have been liquidated. It's the 3rd time the club has gone bust in five years, but this time no one wanted to save them.

The Bradford Bulls have said the liquidator would not accept the offer on the table. But they are going to form a new company and run next season in the championship with a 12 point deduction.

They play at the historic Odsall Stadium which used to be a major speedway venue as well as rugby. The Richard Dunn sports centre just over the road, is likely to be demolished as it's too costly to upkeep and the land sold, the field behind the grandstand (formerly Northern View hospital) has been approved for housing as well, so if RL doesn't get going again presumably the stadium will go for development along with it's surroundings.

Someone posted elsewhere Odsal Stadium is a massive asset for Bradford and surrounding district sat on the end of the motorway with ample land surrounding it.

They need a rich benefactor to buy Park Avenue, and then install them in Odsal.

Very sad news, although it should be said that Odsal is an absolute dump and that the rugby club have been mis-managed for years. That said, I hope they can sort themselves out as I have many good memories of the place and people.

My father was a life long Northern fan, Northern being their proper name before Maurice Lindsay's Americanised nonsense. He once told me that he got into to see the 1954 Challenge Cup Final replay for nowt as one of the fences had fallen down. The official attendance that day was 102,000 although Dad always reckoned that another 20,000 got in for free. Needless to say, I got dragged their more times than I care to remember to stand on the shale banking (nothing so luxurious as actual terracing for us). One day I saw Terry Price, a star welsh Rugby Union full back imported at vast expense. Early on in a game against Wigan he found himself under massive up-and-under. Unfortunately for him his Union instincts were still there, and as he caught the ball he brought his heel down and shouted 'mark'. It was far too late when he realised that he was playing League now and that the Wigan hooves were still bearing down on him and I saw the expression on his face change to fear, just before he was flattened into the mud and then carried off injured. It doesn't sound very funny as I write that, but I can promise you the whole ground laughed hard.

Sorry for the ramble if anybody's still with me - nostalgia, eh?

Archived