IGNORED

352 from now on...

OldlandReddies

11 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

Three quality CH's in Wright, Flint and Magners will allow Lee to play his favoured formation. 

LJ's favoured formation is 442.

No idea why people keep mentioning 352...that was SC's favoured formation...and even Pembo got shot of it when he left.

We will however...try different formations during a game or depending on the opposition.

27 minutes ago, Eastend said:

I recall LJ saying in a interview that 1 of the 2 is looking likely for international clearance where as the other one not so likely

Purely guesswork but I'm imagining the one that is likely is the first one signed (was that Hegeler? I was under a rock for 2 days and when I came back I found we had 2 new players), just as it gives more time for whatever paperwork needs to be done.

28 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

3-5-2 didn't work under SC and saw us getting dicked by the opposition at this level, don't believe we have the players to make that formation work now like we didn't then. 

A 4-4-2 with a deeper CM would be preferable.

Indeed...and with respect to some Forum members, they clearly have no idea of the fitness, stamina, athleticism and speed needed to play at Wing Back...even then, you can't do it every game, and need others in the squad who can fill that role....or be protective of it.

Bryan is probably the only one capable, and even he said he found it physically and mentally exhausting, and made him prone to injury.

When I see people put Matthews at Wing back or even Little...I can't but help to go :facepalm:

Matthews can barely run now with his tight hamstrings and Little doesn't have the ability at Championship level.

They'd struggle doing it at Subbuteo let alone actual football ;-)

38 minutes ago, spudski said:

Indeed...and with respect to some Forum members, they clearly have no idea of the fitness, stamina, athleticism and speed needed to play at Wing Back...even then, you can't do it every game, and need others in the squad who can fill that role....or be protective of it.

Bryan is probably the only one capable, and even he said he found it physically and mentally exhausting, and made him prone to injury.

When I see people put Matthews at Wing back or even Little...I can't but help to go :facepalm:

Matthews can barely run now with his tight hamstrings and Little doesn't have the ability at Championship level.

Indeed. It's people playing too much championship manager. The diamond formation with 2 up top tickles me!

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Fully agree Spud. Also I really don't get the hype with Matthews. We made a massive error of judgement letting Ayling go imo.

Think we will probably start playing 4-4-2 with the midfield 4 being a diamond, with the Heggeler  at the base and Tomlin at the point. The only issue at the moment for me would be who to play in the full back roles. At the moment for me i would probably go with Matthews and Magnusson which i believe would make us more solid.

4 hours ago, spudski said:

3-5-2 today with wingbacks. Maybe the subbuteo training has paid off ;-)

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Bryan and Little were totally ineffective. Both played too wide...left us with very few options in midfield and they created no angles for a pass.

Spot on, especially Joe - what has happened to the tactics of the wing backs joining in (inside) with the midfield to make us more compact and with a springboard to attack as well as defend.

Thought Litts was fine overall, but his tactical positions when we've got the ball could be better.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Spot on, especially Joe - what has happened to the tactics of the wing backs joining in (inside) with the midfield to make us more compact and with a springboard to attack as well as defend.

Thought Litts was fine overall, but his tactical positions when we've got the ball could be better.

And this is where it annoys me when people blame the manager Dave...both LJ and Pembo were aware they weren't doing it. Sometimes you have to blame the players. If Korey and FF hadn't got injured I'm positive LJ would have changed them. Bryan has been awful this season for positioning and seems to just be strolling through games. Needs a kick up the arse imo.

27 minutes ago, spudski said:

And this is where it annoys me when people blame the manager Dave...both LJ and Pembo were aware they weren't doing it. Sometimes you have to blame the players. If Korey and FF hadn't got injured I'm positive LJ would have changed them. Bryan has been awful this season for positioning and seems to just be strolling through games. Needs a kick up the arse imo.

Joe is too relaxed in his positioning when defending, often reacting too late.  Needs to do the hard yards earlier in the play so that he's then better positioned to either defend or springboard an attack.  He was better last week v Reading - possibly because he couldn't 'hide' on the left touchine. 

There was one instance first half where it was so obvious they were gonna try a Pack-esque pass over his head to McLaughlin (I think).  Joe looked over his shoulder, and I'm thinking that he's clocked the danger, and he'll shift 5-10 yards wider.  But no, he stayed where he was.  Said ball then get pinged.  He then reacted, back pedalling and therefore unable to get a jump in.  It came to nothing, but he made life to hard for himself.  Golbourne maybe is not as gifted, but he knows the position, and how to pisition himself early.  Not the only squad members where you wish you could clone the best parts and meld them together.

Archived