IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Fleetwood in the FA Cup match day thread

Septic Peg

FWIT , here's my thoughts then ...

I liked the system, I thought the movement was better and more players showing for the ball. Yes, it wasn't the most exciting of games and the shooting was off (again), but there were times we passed it well.

The good?  Hegeler looked quality (I'd like to see him in CM dictating play). Brownhill is now looking a player (maybe not as good as Vs Reading) and wanting the ball more. Little put a good shift in. I thought Wright grew into the game and defence will get better as they get used to playing together. While not having his best game, I think that JB suits his position  today, WMF come WB , just didn't get the crosses in our forwards cried out for. I'll add Duric to the good simply because it's too early to judge but there were signs he could allow Tammy some extra space and get some flick on's.

The bad??  Korey again was poor before he came off. Too many backpasses from better positions than the keeper is in. Still slow build up, and at times Tomlin over plays when an easy ball is on which would keep the move going. In his defence he is always available and always wants the ball, not many you can say that about during this run. Why no Engvall AGAIN !! Keepers, I'll leave it at that.

Personally , I don't think LJ has lost the dressing room. What I think is lacking is confidence, people are snatching at shots and making bad decisions , even taking too long just trying to make sure they do the right thing.  We now have a squad, and I think certain player's will start to force their way into the team . When we have 7-8 players that are 'starters' , I'm sure we will have the base for a good Championship team. On today's showing , Hegeler, Flint , Wright, Brownhill and Tammy are nailed on starters (you could question Brownhill, but I think his recent form warrants it). I hope to see an improved performance Saturday  , with most of the same team from today. What I don't want is to see LJ tinker again, new formation /players etc. 

After being very low post Reading, the new signings gave me new optimism and the performance didn't keep my good mood , so I am searching for positives. Mind you , beat that lot from over the bridge 3 or 4 nil and I'll be putting money on us going up!!!!

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

FWIT , here's my thoughts then ...

I liked the system, I thought the movement was better and more players showing for the ball. Yes, it wasn't the most exciting of games and the shooting was off (again), but there were times we passed it well.

The good?  Hegeler looked quality (I'd like to see him in CM dictating play). Brownhill is now looking a player (maybe not as good as Vs Reading) and wanting the ball more. Little put a good shift in. I thought Wright grew into the game and defence will get better as they get used to playing together. While not having his best game, I think that JB suits his position  today, WMF come WB , just didn't get the crosses in our forwards cried out for. I'll add Duric to the good simply because it's too early to judge but there were signs he could allow Tammy some extra space and get some flick on's.

The bad??  Korey again was poor before he came off. Too many backpasses from better positions than the keeper is in. Still slow build up, and at times Tomlin over plays when an easy ball is on which would keep the move going. In his defence he is always available and always wants the ball, not many you can say that about during this run. Why no Engvall AGAIN !! Keepers, I'll leave it at that.

Personally , I don't think LJ has lost the dressing room. What I think is lacking is confidence, people are snatching at shots and making bad decisions , even taking too long just trying to make sure they do the right thing.  We now have a squad, and I think certain player's will start to force their way into the team . When we have 7-8 players that are 'starters' , I'm sure we will have the base for a good Championship team. On today's showing , Hegeler, Flint , Wright, Brownhill and Tammy are nailed on starters (you could question Brownhill, but I think his recent form warrants it). I hope to see an improved performance Saturday  , with most of the same team from today. What I don't want is to see LJ tinker again, new formation /players etc. 

After being very low post Reading, the new signings gave me new optimism and the performance didn't keep my good mood , so I am searching for positives. Mind you , beat that lot from over the bridge 3 or 4 nil and I'll be putting money on us going up!!!!

Very good summary. For people to call the whole performance dire is just a typical overreaction. It was mediocre though.

12 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Did Havanatopia tell you that ?

Buntis mate; pregnant in tagalog.

12 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Havanatopia has lost his place and Septic Peg has started in his place.

Our new players have all started and instantly know how to pass sideways and backwards , oh and Korey Smith is off injured again !

Really? Can I retire now then? 

10 hours ago, petehinton said:

£10m in the summer to be happy drawing 0-0 with Fleetwood. 6 of today's side are Johnsons men so no "three windows" excuse.  Wish I shared your optimism. 

LenRed and Lee J both put it about where I would have done.. after our shocking run keeping a clean sheet is a plus and a potential turning point. Certainly not a pathetic result. of course not ecstatic but mildly above the water line of positivity which, given where we have come from, is better than it would have been. You might even argue the new players did not give us the relative boost they would otherwise have done; all being thrust into play from the get go takes an element of risk which I think must explain why the line up was somewhat defensive; i.e. do not lose, whatever you do, and use it as a platform. Now we need to go and beat Cardiff and I think we will.

12 hours ago, petehinton said:

£10m in the summer to be happy drawing 0-0 with Fleetwood. 6 of today's side are Johnsons men so no "three windows" excuse.  Wish I shared your optimism. 

Its not so much the "0-0" but the football-we are going backwards,us and the ball!....sideways, back,sideways,pump it,lose it,repeat..very O'Driscoll' ish.

The frustration is we have the players to have beaten Fleetwood with comfort,but the tactics??..the bottom three beckons & SL has a very big headache to shakeoff....

12 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

I am still looking for a reply as to evidence that LJ has lost the dressing room.  No hint in any player interviews.  Are people seriously saying the players aren't giving 100%? I simply can't buy that answer

I'm not a fan of LJ (as a manager).  Not in any shape or form.  But I have to agree that I don't think he's lost the dressing room or the players aren't giving 100%.  I just think they're confused; totally, totally confused. 

15 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

On today's showing , Hegeler, Flint , Wright, Brownhill and Tammy are nailed on starters (you could question Brownhill, but I think his recent form warrants it). I hope to see an improved performance Saturday  , with most of the same team from today. What I don't want is to see LJ tinker again, new formation /players etc. 

Didn't go yesterday as I couldn't get up the enthusiasm to drive up from Devon after the Reading capitulation. 

I notice you included Wright in your list of nailed on starters. For me Magnuson has been one of our best players so far. If he is fit do we bench him for Wright then? He would have to be some player to persuade me that was justified. Some have said move Mags to LB but with the lack of width in midfield we need full backs to get down the line and cross and I can't see that being Mags.

Not sure why we have signed Wright as a first teamer unless it is to push Magnusson out the team which would really annoy me. I get we need cover and I haven't seen Wright play but I wouldn't drop Magnusson if he is fit.

23 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Didn't go yesterday as I couldn't get up the enthusiasm to drive up from Devon after the Reading capitulation. 

I notice you included Wright in your list of nailed on starters. For me Magnuson has been one of our best players so far. If he is fit do we bench him for Wright then? He would have to be some player to persuade me that was justified. Some have said move Mags to LB but with the lack of width in midfield we need full backs to get down the line and cross and I can't see that being Mags.

Not sure why we have signed Wright as a first teamer unless it is to push Magnusson out the team which would really annoy me. I get we need cover and I haven't seen Wright play but I wouldn't drop Magnusson if he is fit.

I can see us playing 3 CB's regularly. It allows us to play with formation, 3-4-3 , 3-4-1-2 , 5-4-1 , 5-3-2.  I may be in the minority but I thought it looked very promising, Hegeler and Wright happy to bring the ball out and when the CB's split to give FF a pass we still had Flint for cover in the middle. Wright is right footed so would have a natural ballance in a 3, also Hegeler looks absolute quality and looks like he could really dictate our play. On the other side, Mark Ashton and LJ said that Mags had played a lot more than expected because of circumstances, so in the short term it may mean a rest. 

On 7 January 2017 at 19:11, Ivorguy said:

I am still looking for a reply as to evidence that LJ has lost the dressing room.  No hint in any player interviews.  Are people seriously saying the players aren't giving 100%? I simply can't buy that answer

I agree

The handshake and hug/shoulder pat Tomlin and LJ had when he came off yesterday didn't look like 2 men who are at loggerheads with each other. 

On 07/01/2017 at 19:01, NickJ said:

The point was in the reply. Fleetwood is not as big as Weston.

I like Funky Monkey though its Tribute for me in a bit.

Tried Bobbled? Very nice it is too. Even if it's off topic!

Looking forward to seeing Colin. And so are the kids. Even Edie who's 7!

• The title was changed to The Official Bristol City v Fleetwood in the FA Cup match day thread

Archived