IGNORED

New Signings

allyolly

Hegeler is clearly a class above, but agree all the new boys looked very decent.

Surprised by the criticism of Wright as he formed an integral part of what was a very competent back three today.

Djuric snatched at his best chance, but looked strong and is "the younger Wilbraham" that LJ has been searching for. Like Wilbs, he isn't adverse to letting defenders know he's there either. ;)

Hegler in a CM / DM  role would surely be our best option, he can cover CC if one gets pushes up the pitch, he can head the ball, is safe and assured on the ball, calm, has a good passing range (and passes with pace - so sick of seeing our players passing the ball at snails pace where it takes 5-6 seconds to travel ) - he just seems like the type of midfielder that can pull strings, and dictate the pace of a game a little - now caveat it was the first game and for all we know it was the best 90 minutes of his career and he turns into a donkey..... but if not... him or Pack / Korey ? I'd say he's a completely different class.... in fact he stood out so much from the rest of the squad he made a lot of them look really poor... imagine 3-4 more players like him dotted around the pitch.

3 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

I don't see the purpose in bringing in players no better than those currently at the club.

For as outstanding Hegelar,Wright for me was massively underwhelming-lacking pace,positional sense and for sure not a natural athlete.unimpressed big time.not a signing to be made if you have ambitions above the Championship.

Makes Tomlin look like slimmer of the year and imo carrying too much timber.

Wow.

You did realise we asked him to play out of position on the left of a three?

That explains why he was constantly transferring the ball to his right..

Played in his best position he'll be an asset.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Wow.

You did realise we asked him to play out of position on the left of a three?

That explains why he was constantly transferring the ball to his right..

Played in his best position he'll be an asset.

Out of interest, How would you play him in his best position?

Right of Flint in a 2?

Left of Flint in a 2? 

Right of Flint in a 3 with Hordur?

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest, How would you play him in his best position?

Right of Flint in a 2?

Left of Flint in a 2? 

Right of Flint in a 3 with Hordur?

Very good question!

No fan of a back three so probably alongside Flint in a two, giving Hordur the rest he needs. 

With a left footer outside him (Golbourne for me) he could play LCB, less of an issue in a back four.

3 hours ago, Malago said:

Josh Brownhill is beginning to look a decent signing from the summer.  Definitely worth an extended run in the team.

Was very disappointed with Brownhill having read recent reports. Funny how people see the game differently. Thought he huffed and puffed yet made no real impact. Rarely seemed confident on the ball and often appeared on Flints toes. Very little offered creativity and didn't really put a foot in. Unsure what he really brought to the game to be honest.  

Thought Djuric had a reasonable game. If the ball is pumped into a centre a forward, you want to trust him to hold it. Djuric had the ball into and laid it off well to a teammate. Equally made some bright runs, more so in the first half. Unfortunately for him we are not a side who often go around the outside and whip a ball in at pace. When we do it's floated. Very difficult for a centre forward to gain pace on a header when such a ball is crossed. Nice to see a centre forward try and get across his man to the near post though. 

Hegeler. Very good debut. Cool, chilled out and relaxed performer. Made a tremendous recovery in the second half after losing possession on the rare occasion. Brought the ball out well. Would love to see him in the middle of midfield though. Feel it would give Tomlin more assurance behind him. Deceptly quick too. Passed the ball very well. Typical German style attributes if that makes any sense ?

Wright. First game. I would suggest out of position on the left hand side. Almost immediately you could tell he was no leftie. Looked a little unsteady. Also rather than pinging the ball on the deck, often looked to play a chipped style pass making t awkward for a teammate. Zero pace, must be said. Made a few decent blocks. Right side of a 2 or 3 though. No leftie. Spoke well on RB. No excuses re the time he's had to train and getting to know players games etc. When that excuse is used which it often is its b******s. 

Worth a look at a 10er all in all 

28 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Very good question!

No fan of a back three so probably alongside Flint in a two, giving Hordur the rest he needs. 

With a left footer outside him (Golbourne for me) he could play LCB, less of an issue in a back four.

Same here Graham, I prefer a back 4 and would play Flint right side and Wright left side (PNE fans say this is where he played for them). Where I would differ is that I would have Hordur at left back in the 4. He plays their for Iceland so should be good enough for us. I don't think JB is the answer there and I think SG could be on his way. 

Archived