IGNORED

Backwards

Unan

6 minutes ago, Griffin said:

Why did every ball come back to Flint before we started a move? I think LJ told Pack he'd be fined if he didn't pass back to Wright/Flint. Flint was only allowed to pass to Hegeler or boot it up to Djuric too. Confused.

Too much sweeping it along the back four, dribble forwards three yards then go back across the defence the other direction. Bland, very bland.

I think I came away more angry today then the Reading match. There was a clear game plan against Reading which nearly paid off. Today there was no plan. Clearly good footballers next to Flint in a back 3 yet Flint was pumping long balls or playing to Pack or Smith or Brownhill. What's the point of two ball playing centre halves if you're going to let your least capabale footballer have the ball most of the time. What's the point of having ball playing ball playing CBs if you just going to have CM come back and get the ball from them. Let them make some plays and get your CMs forward. Balls pumped up to Djuric but 25 yards between him and the nearest midfielder

8 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think I came away more angry today then the Reading match. There was a clear game plan against Reading which nearly paid off. Today there was no plan. Clearly good footballers next to Flint in a back 3 yet Flint was pumping long balls or playing to Pack or Smith or Brownhill. What's the point of two ball playing centre halves if you're going to let your least capabale footballer have the ball most of the time. What's the point of having ball playing ball playing CBs if you just going to have CM come back and get the ball from them. Let them make some plays and get your CMs forward. Balls pumped up to Djuric but 25 yards between him and the nearest midfielder

Spot on.

9 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Can't find much I disagree with here, other than not feeling angry more bored to be honest!

21 minutes ago, Griffin said:

Why did every ball come back to Flint before we started a move? I think LJ told Pack he'd be fined if he didn't pass back to Wright/Flint. Flint was only allowed to pass to Hegeler or boot it up to Djuric too. Confused.

Well we can't pass it out wide............... there's no one out there!  We may as well bring the touchlines in 20 yards each side!

Wow. Feel like this is the view I've been talking about for weeks and largely shouted down, and now everyone else is saying it, when I actually thought it was much better today, not great, not good, but FINALLY a shape that let our players push up and move the game into the opponents half for sustained periods. Final ball and decision making around the box still poor, as game went on players went backwards, but as a setup, for the first time in three months LJ played a team that tried to get multiple players in the opposition half. Wow. Only persistent complaint is he is still trying to avoid real width - every time Fleetwood broke it was a ball out wide and drill it into the middle. Most times we got forward we tried the interplay and back heels around the box, very rarely release the winger and spread the defence. LJ has a long way to go but am surprised the tone of this thread is more negative than I thought about today.

And breathe.

3 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I have gone past anger. How low are we going to go. Gutted that many are happy with that.

I get angry when we try the same thing over and over and expect different results - SC last season. 

We are trying new things but we're just not doing them very well. Hence my utter boredom in the second half.

Also our fans in the Atyeo were a bit lax today. Fleetwood were chanting for a good 20 mins non stop!

6 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

I get angry when we try the same thing over and over and expect different results - SC last season. 

We are trying new things but we're just not doing them very well. Hence my utter boredom in the second half.

Also our fans in the Atyeo were a bit lax today. Fleetwood were chanting for a good 20 mins non stop!

I don't think we are trying new things, its the same tactics but with different formations..

35 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

I don't disagree about the definition of madness.

Early this season we moved the ball quickly pressed the player in possession and broke fast. Now we are ponderous have an isolated forward and on the type of run that has plunged us into a relegation battle. This is largely due to changing personnel and positions. Tomlin out wide, Bryan LB, Tammy on his own. Korey looks like a bloke that has lost all confidence. I could go on and on.  

Half way through a season we should know what we are doing and have a style of play that we can adapt, (The whole DNA and a Bristol City style of play thing was all we heard in July) but we have paid more money on three big guys, although there is some pedigree. We spent 11m on players in the summer. Brownhill and Tomlin started today. Patterson was on the bench and Engval. Who knows. He couldn't get a start against Fleetwood and clearly LJ does not trust him to play with Abraham.

Its a mess Jim. Its all about what LJ will try next and fail at to keep us amused. 

Boring boring boring, I feel that i spent at least 30 mins of the game watching the back 3 pass it around endlessly. A championship side would have put us to the sword today but us playing a very poor league 1 side has glossed over that. Their keeper has made 1 save all game, from Mark Little!!!!!!

If you want to play all 3 new players and another different formation, I suggest it would be better to do it when not on the back of a endless run of defeats. Play your strongest team, beat that poor league 1 side comfortably and get some confidence back in the squad instead of being satisfied with a turgid 0-0 draw.

I had a ticket and was parked up ready to go to the match, when I had a call to say I had better come home as son's partner was about to go into labour. Reluctantly I drove home cursing my luck. Judging from the comments on here it sounds as though I didn't miss much!

Oh, and she still hasn't produced yet!!

I think this was a freebie game for LJ to blood the new players and it was important not to lose. I thought we played OK in patches but we were not clinical in front of goal and our set up was odd. All three new players impressed although for me Hegeler must be in the midfield. He has the quality to anchor the midfield and he was head and shoulders above any of the players on the pitch. Wright was solid and Duric played well and had two very good chances. Lets remember they could have only had a couple of sessions as a team. What does concern me though are the following:

1. Why on earth did we play 352. If this is to our formation moving forward then so be it. BUT in interview LJ said we played it to match up to Fleetwood. Surely, that is not an effective strategy worrying about a League One club!

2. Tomlin kept coming too deep to get the ball and thus the gap between midfield and attack was too great. He has done this most of the season and for me it is getting tiresome. Either he can play as a number 10 or he should be dropped. He offers little else. Such a shame because the guy is quality but we need him in areas where he hurts the opposition and not in our own half.  

3. I cannot recall how many times Duric won the first ball without any red shirts anywhere near. This links to Tomlin. As the 10 he should be there to support both strikers and link the play.

4. Our wide players - Bryan and Little had very poor distribution. I lost count of how many poor balls were played into the box or we delayed the pass to lose impetus.

The positives -

1. The new players fitted in well and have been given a warm up for the big game against Cardiff.

2. We did not lose and we did not concede a goal.

3. We are still in the cup.

4. We had enough chances despite the points raised above to have won the game.

This is now a critical period and LJ has my backing but we need 9 points from our next 5 league games as a minimum requirement. If is not able to achieve this, he should be sacked. There cannot be any more excuses.

12 hours ago, MarkRed! said:

BUT in interview LJ said we played it to match up to Fleetwood. Surely, that is not an effective strategy worrying about a League One club!

I haven't seen any of the interviews but if that's true, we're getting into the realms of LJ over-thinking everything. I actually thought the shape was much better but it was also obvious within 5 minutes this was yet another game where we would respect our opponents and allow them to settle and play their game too. It would be nice once in a while to stop trying to match up to opponents and just stamp our own football (I'm not even sure what this is now) on a game.

We appear to employ a "bend but don't break" strategy where we let the opposition play as long as it isn't in the final third - there were some great periods of watching us retreat to setup a backline while the mighty Fleewood knocked it about - and ultimately played attacking football with more pace than we ever did. I was given to believe we would play a high tempo pressing game. None of the Powerpoint stuff is actually employed, perhaps it was in the wrong zone.

Agree with all your other comments too.

16 hours ago, Griffin said:

No width,we played narrow,need to get forward with the ball so much faster..

IMO Hegeler so classy and can play the holding role alone,allowing for the quality play maker in the middle to get us forward so much faster and totally change our dynamic.

All we need to do is find him....Maybe Jens has a friend to recommend!

It was tedious and

14 hours ago, collier said:

Boring boring boring, I feel that i spent at least 30 mins of the game watching the back 3 pass it around endlessly. A championship side would have put us to the sword today but us playing a very poor league 1 side has glossed over that. Their keeper has made 1 save all game, from Mark Little!!!!!!

If you want to play all 3 new players and another different formation, I suggest it would be better to do it when not on the back of a endless run of defeats. Play your strongest team, beat that poor league 1 side comfortably and get some confidence back in the squad instead of being satisfied with a turgid 0-0 draw.

I felt the same, some of the cross field sideways passing among the back 3, with Korey and then Pack joining in, would surely have been intercepted by a better opposition. Pointless at best, dangerous at worst. I don't want us to be a long ball team, but the odd quick punt up field especially when the opposition have men forward and we have a 6' 6" CF would surely be a good tactic?

3 hours ago, old_eastender said:

It was tedious and

I felt the same, some of the cross field sideways passing among the back 3, with Korey and then Pack joining in, would surely have been intercepted by a better opposition. Pointless at best, dangerous at worst. I don't want us to be a long ball team, but the odd quick punt up field especially when the opposition have men forward and we have a 6' 6" CF would surely be a good tactic?

They did that occasionally but Djuric didn't really pose a threat.

I would love to know what was said during LJ's interview for the City job.

Was it a case of, LJ telling SL, you give me a complete new team, £25 million and 3 transfer windows. Then  I just may be able to get a team that can compete in the bottom half of the Championship.

It would be very interesting if SC ( or any other experienced manager) had been backed with the same money LJ has been given, where we would be as a team now. 

5 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

It would be very interesting if SC ( or any other experienced manager) had been backed with the same money LJ has been given, where we would be as a team now..

Well he did seem happy to back SC with alleged £9m bids for Gray and Gayle...pity they weren't interested in coming to our club...

10 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well he did seem happy to back SC with alleged £9m bids for Gray and Gayle...pity they weren't interested in coming to our club...

Yes, one of those playing alongside Kodjia last season would of improved us immensely. 

My big concern is we have bought in 11-12 new players, spent 12? Million pounds, don't seem to have improved and have the same flaws people were complaining about with previous managers.

40 games into LJ's tenure and not one person knows what the plan is, shape wise or tactical wise. Wide players signed in the summer and not played wide, change of plan in January and 3 new centre of the pitch ( spine) get bought in. 

To me it feels like we have a gambler in charge, not the hyped tactical genius we were told we were getting!

1 hour ago, cynic said:

One days training with three new players and playing a different formation wouldn't help tbf.

Of course not. I didn't expect a drubbing or even a win. I did expect a bit more urgency and pace going forward. Then played our new big striker with one winger capable of crossing and he didn't get forward very often. Plus, I don't think we'll play that formation next week so it didn't even give some of the new players a feel for their role. 

Archived