IGNORED

Dean Holden

JasonM88

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You can't group the two. It's naive to think it would be down to a factor like a coach coming in. 

You could say then, seeing as he's forward coach, that he's been successful already. Abraham has scored 5 goals in 10 games since he arrived after being in a bit of a rut in October. Stats work both ways but that one doesn't fit the bizarre agenda against him.

But this is the new age where there has to be someone to blame, fuelled by the endless overhyped sensationalist media.

I agree. I don't know anything about football management - I don't play computer games - but I know a bit about managing in another sphere. Some research into effective schools showed that the optimum period for a headteacher was 3-7 years - less and there wasn't time for leadership to take effect, more and change became increasingly difficult. The average time in post for a Championship manager in 2014-15 was 319 days. I'm not saying a football club is like a school but how can the development of young players, making the right signings, getting the tactics and formation right against a variety of opponents, knowing how to motivate each individual etc be perfected in less than a year? I've mentioned it before about how close Fergie was to the sack early on but would the team of Beckham, Scholes, Giggs etc have emerged in today's cut-throat world?

19 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

But this is the new age where there has to be someone to blame, fuelled by the endless overhyped sensationalist media.

Along with how his playing career has anything to do with his coaching ability. Whatever position he played is irrelevant to the coaching skills he possesses. I train people for a living, I have trained Management skill courses ( I have never been a Manager), I have been training people on Payroll software for the last 10 years, despite never having run a Payroll, I get very few complaints about my lack of experience in my feedback, in fact I would go as far as to say that unless I tell them, non of my delegates are aware of this.  I have developed my knowledge in the subjects by reading, taking in information from delegates and Payroll experts withing my company, I am sure that Dean Holden will have learned using similar methods as he has gone into coaching.

14 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Even by Otib standards I find it absolutely bizarre so many people are SO sure he's not a good coach when there's no proof. Really really strange.

Playing Devils Advocate PF

Where is the evidence he is ?

Is he someone Lee gets on with ? or one of the best up and coming coaches in the country ?

(MA was clear about recruitment policy in all areas )

(I don't know the answer but can see zero evidence of good coaching from anyone atm)

:cool:;)

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Playing Devils Advocate PF

Where is the evidence he is ?

Is he someone Lee gets on with ? or one of the best up and coming coaches in the country ?

(MA was clear about recruitment policy in all areas )

(I don't know the answer but can see zero evidence of good coaching from anyone atm)

I think that illustrates my point that none of us know either way.

I think a 'good coach' is subjective too. Players at Man United may work really well with one of Mourinho's coaches but that same coach may not do very well at Newport for example as they can't work with more limited players as effectively. It's probably like a manager, some coaches 'fit' at clubs better than others. 

I'd never heard of Holden before he came here but for me it's just about trusting the management to get appointments correct. I think Holden is getting a particularly hard time because there was a misconception he was replacing or was his role was more senior than Pemberton who's very popular. The dual assistant manager thing isn't that common in lower league clubs and I don't think people quite grasped what was happening. 

I think you've got to give coaches, like managers, a good few months before you see the results of their work.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think a 'good coach' is subjective too. Players at Man United may work really well with one of Mourinho's coaches but that same coach may not do very well at Newport for example as they can't work with more limited players as effectively. It's probably like a manager, some coaches 'fit' at clubs better than others. 

I'd never heard of Holden before he came here but for me it's just about trusting the management to get appointments correct. I think Holden is getting a particularly hard time because there was a misconception he was replacing or was his role was more senior than Pemberton who's very popular. The dual assistant manager thing isn't that common in lower league clubs and I don't think people quite grasped what was happening. 

I think you've got to give coaches, like managers, a good few months before you see the results of their work.

All good,and fair points there mate !

On 08/01/2017 at 21:47, spudski said:

I was watching the warm up session yesterday...some of the striking of the ball and hitting it cleanly was appalling.

Duric was the most consistent by a country mile.

Says enough that in the warm up before the Reading game Kelly looked the most consistent.

On Mon Jan 09 2017 at 11:18, Richard Head said:

I agree. I don't know anything about football management - I don't play computer games - but I know a bit about managing in another sphere. Some research into effective schools showed that the optimum period for a headteacher was 3-7 years - less and there wasn't time for leadership to take effect, more and change became increasingly difficult. The average time in post for a Championship manager in 2014-15 was 319 days. I'm not saying a football club is like a school but how can the development of young players, making the right signings, getting the tactics and formation right against a variety of opponents, knowing how to motivate each individual etc be perfected in less than a year? I've mentioned it before about how close Fergie was to the sack early on but would the team of Beckham, Scholes, Giggs etc have emerged in today's cut-throat world?

Are you a head teacher?

On 9 January 2017 at 12:33, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agreed. City don't seem to believe that we can improve players. They stay at the same level they arrived, if they are lucky. Many are de-skilled coming to us.

On 9 January 2017 at 12:48, Phileas Fogg said:

It's more difficult - it must take a greater range of skills and imagination to develop a less naturally gifted player. A gifted teacher can do this with less able children

For me this has been the weakness with City for decades. We tend to de-skill players

Archived