IGNORED

What is, "The Bigger Picture"?

Curr Avon

3 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I was up your way recently. Next time I'll pop down your local. You still owe me a drink! :laugh:!

With the current exchange rate surely you can afford to come home to Blighty and live the life of a king? You could mount a takeover for BCFC. 

Just now, CotswoldRed said:

With the current exchange rate surely you can afford to come home to Blighty and live the life of a king? You could mount a takeover for BCFC. 

I like the look of the exchange rate....Maybe the purchase of a small football club....I'll have a think! :laugh:

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

That's not historically accurate. Joe Jordan took Terry Cooper's team to the 87/88 Third Division Play-Off final after being appointed with only a quarter of the season remaining. Keith Millen kept Gary Johnson's sinking team in The Championship after taking over in February 2010. And Derek McInnes earned survival at the same level after replacing Millen in October 2011.

City's form is not a short term blip, it's 7 consecutive defeats and 2 wins in forteen matches. Johnson has had the time, money and a new coaching appointment in Holden to demonstrate progress on the pitch. 

The bigger picture should be progress in the form of a top half finish in The Championship. Right now I'd take survival, but with a different head coach. 

You missed out LJ last year.

3 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

The bigger picture is that we are trying to build a team for the future, and so that means short term bad stuff might happen.

I'm constantly in awe of everything you do for this club Dolls, but to be clear, this is the most expensive Bristol City team ever assembled in history. If it's a makeshift transitional mess like McInnes and others had to deal with, then we must have hit Zimbabwe style inflation. This is a very expensive and very good squad and for my money of all the managers to set our record for consecutive defeats, this is by a very long distance, the most pathetic.

I know I said I wouldn't post until tomorrow but six hour round trips to home games get boring.

This is our worst run of defeats in our ENTIRE HISTORY! The plan is in tatters, the morale is dead, the players are trudging through treacle and the manager is like a rabbit in headlights and that is where his lack of experience is totally and utterly exposed. Anyone is entitled to their opinion, but surely you have to see by now that enough is enough? It cannot get any worse than this. We have gone from 6th to complete and utter free fall. We have collapsed. No fan in their right mind is going to believe the spin anymore. Honestly, if you still believe then you are totally mad!

3 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

This is our worst run of defeats in our ENTIRE HISTORY! The plan is in tatters, the morale is dead, the players are trudging through treacle and the manager is like a rabbit in headlights and that is where his lack of experience is totally and utterly exposed. Anyone is entitled to their opinion, but surely you have to see by now that enough is enough? It cannot get any worse than this. We have gone from 6th to complete and utter free fall. We have collapsed. No fan in their right mind is going to believe the spin anymore. Honestly, if you still believe then you are totally mad!

Even when we're winning we're playing crap football. 

Just now, CotswoldRed said:

Even when we're winning we're playing crap football. 

That's the thing. We had so much luck at the beginning of the season. LJ said it himself and laughed that we have won without playing as well as he knows we can and that if we did play well we would beat someone convincingly. Unfortunately we haven't played well!

1 hour ago, Cheesleysmate said:

That's the thing. We had so much luck at the beginning of the season. LJ said it himself and laughed that we have won without playing as well as he knows we can and that if we did play well we would beat someone convincingly. Unfortunately we haven't played well!

You're right, but after the first eleven games we had a settled side, with Bobby Reid and Marlon Pack as defensive midfielders and the confidence and a winning mentality on which to build. Then came the international break and Johnson dropped the ever improving Reid and opted for caution in O'Neill for the Cardiff game. We've been playing catch up ever since.

5 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I've lost faith in LJ but not the bigger picture. You're spot on. We are probably not where we want to be at the moment but the bigger picture was always after this season. Maybe we paid too much attention to the future too soon and we should've had a little more care for this year. 

The bigger picture is growing some bigger of the youth we bought for 6-7m and turning them into 15-20m worth of players so we don't have to buy them and pay them those types of wages. Been saying next year we should be equipped to go top 8 and still have room for improvement. Developing 5,6,7 youngsters into first teams players on manageable wages which would allow us to buy a top striker on higher wages when we really need one. 

This isn't ideal for everyone and I get that. The club is transitioning itself to be a big player in the league. Maybe we recruited too young too soon. Maybe we got the wrong head coach. We aren't perfect but we are trying to do better. The off the pitch stuff like the academy, the stadium and the scouting is probably at good championship level. This will help us in the long wrong of not going up and down between championship and L1. The playing and coaching staff seems to be catching up. It's part of the rebuilding of a club. We are in a tough spot but we'll have bumps and bruises before we are a finished product. Other clubs spend less and stay up comfortably but the majority are back at square 1 the next season. Ipswich are an example of this. We have to be patient with the project if not the players and staff. 

maybe your right, well certainly the two times you said it

12 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Following the Fleetwood game, an OTIB member made the following comments in response to my post-match summary on BBC Radio Bristol.

"But it's the same negativity, the same commends repeated every week is the point I'm trying to make. You could say no when they call you? Sometimes it might be better saying nothing if you can't say anything nice. (I am aware of the irony of this post) The team do not need people bashing them at every opportunity. It's like a chunk of our fans like it when we aren't doing wel, so they can jump about going "I told you so!" It's not just you Mark, Ian does it as well. Very quick to jump on the teams heads, not so quick to try and sit back and look at the bigger picture of what the club are trying to do. As I said in the Mark Ashton thread, no one is happy with our current form, myself included, but it's coming I'm sure of it. Today for example, we didn't conceed, and kept a clean sheet, but no, everyone wants to jump on the negatives."

My question to the OTIB member and others is, now we've lost our seventh consecutive League game and sit just above the Championship relegation zone, what is the bigger picture?

I get the feeling you were hoping we would lose just so you could write this?

12 hours ago, _Shawn_x said:

by short term do you mean relegated ?

Many people on here have written about other managers being sacked and commented how clubs should be patient and stick with those managers, yet when it applies to us all of a sudden those thoughts go out of the window.

Burnley stuck with Dyche following relegation and that didn't turn out to badly for them did it?

I may be on my own here but even if we were relegated I'd stick with LJ. 

It seems like there is a deep paranoia within our fanbase. Ive noticed recently due to Rovers doing OK this has made the paranoia even worse. Mention the word relegation and it makes an intelligent person have completely irrational thoughts. No wonder we can't hang on to win games with this nervous atmosphere oozing out from the stands. When we went ahead twice I could feel the fans knew what would happen.

Ever been around someone who's incredibly nervous? I have and it puts me on edge. Its obvious this is happening with our players. 

11 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

The bigger picture should be progress in the form of a top half finish in The Championship. Right now I'd take survival, but with a different head coach. 

Am I reading this correctly? You only want us to survive if we have a different head coach?

God I am fed up of people wishing bad against us just so they can win their own personal vendettas.  it really is sad that people feel that way. I don't care who is employed by this club, they are here to do a job and I'll always give 100% backing until they are no longer employed by us.

I will never ever wish for us to lose in the hope that someone will be sacked if we do lose. 

Instead I'll support them and hope we win and we can move forward and be successful.

I guess your a glass half empty sort of person tho?

The sad thing is I think even if LJ turns it around, even if we won every remaining game and won the Fa Cup there will always be people like you hiding in the woodwork ready to come out and stick the knife in at any given oppertunity. 

25 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Am I reading this correctly? You only want us to survive if we have a different head coach?

God I am fed up of people wishing bad against us just so they can win their own personal vendettas.  it really is sad that people feel that way. I don't care who is employed by this club, they are here to do a job and I'll always give 100% backing until they are no longer employed by us.

I will never ever wish for us to lose in the hope that someone will be sacked if we do lose. 

Instead I'll support them and hope we win and we can move forward and be successful.

The sad thing is I think even if LJ turns it around, even if we won every remaining game and won the Fa Cup there will always be people like you hiding in the woodwork ready to come out and stick the knife in at any given oppertunity. 

I wish I could like this post twice! 

27 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

What utter bull, most money spent in our history and record equalling losing streak in our history.  It's not difficult to see why people are a little cheesed off.  There appears to be about 3 posters that should have been nominated for the Oscars as they appear to be starring in La La Land.

17 minutes ago, RumRed said:

What utter bull, most money spent in our history and record equalling losing streak in our history.  It's not difficult to see why people are a little cheesed off.  There appears to be about 3 posters that should have been nominated for the Oscars as they appear to be starring in La La Land.

Spending money doesn't guarantee anything.

Eventually I believe every penny we have spent will prove to be excellent pieces of business. Ive seen enough from the players we have brought to know that. 

Maybe part of the problem is the high turnover of players? Maybe not yet settled and gelled? 

I wish people Would stop quoting me stats about losing streaks etc, it's like your attempting to convince me but the repeated quoting of these figures.

I am fully aware of them. Im cheesed off too but when I'm cheesed off about losing I leave that frustration at the stadium, as soon as I walk out my mind is already on the next game. I do not allow my judgement to be clouded my short term emotions like many of you are.  

What would you suggest is the solution?  Sack LJ? Hope we can find the right fit? Back him? Let him rebuild? Then next January sack him aswell? We simply can't keep doing that every year as Ok we may survive one or two seasons but eventually we will be back in League One. I suggest for.once with have the conviction to stick with a manager and his ideas because if it does eventually work then we truly do have a bright future.

11 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Spending money doesn't guarantee anything.

Eventually I believe every penny we have spent will prove to be excellent pieces of business. Ive seen enough from the players we have brought to know that. 

Maybe part of the problem is the high turnover of players? Maybe not yet settled and gelled? 

I wish people Would stop quoting me stats about losing streaks etc, it's like your attempting to convince me but the repeated quoting of these figures.

I am fully aware of them. Im cheesed off too but when I'm cheesed off about losing I leave that frustration at the stadium, as soon as I walk out my mind is already on the next game. I do not allow my judgement to be clouded my short term emotions like many of you are.  

What would you suggest is the solution?  Sack LJ? Hope we can find the right fit? Back him? Let him rebuild? Then next January sack him aswell? We simply can't keep doing that every year as Ok we may survive one or two seasons but eventually we will be back in League One. I suggest for.once with have the conviction to stick with a manager and his ideas because if it does eventually work then we truly do have a bright future.

I agree with your points in the main and I for one hoped that LJ was the one but it will all count for nowt if we get relegated and half the players leave.

would have been happy mid table this season, that looks like a dream now though.

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

As Aden Flint would say, no, no, no.

You're not reading this correctly.

it believe that to survive in the Championship City need a new head coach.

I want City to win every match they play regardless of the manager or coach.

I've made plenty of positive comments about Lee Johnson, after he did a great job keeping City in the Championship last season and our first 11 matches this campaign

Unfortunately, you and other posters are seeking to make this thread personal, despite them stating otherwise.

Please don't question my integrity when it comes to Bristol City Football Club.

Many Thanks

Mark Tovey

Archived