IGNORED

So It Would Seem LJ is Staying

longyears

...........and actually although I wish he was going I am not surprised. He is like a family member with the Lansdowns and will not I fear be fired. That is because the bigger picture ( IMO ) is that the new stadium will generate most income from non match day activities and events and the size of crowds for both Rugby and Football are not critical - Rugby in the Championship and BCFC in Div One will not be a financial disaster and as long as the love in continues with LJ I honestly do not believe SL will be too bothered.

We all have to remember that both rugby and football teams are a rich mans toys - do not ever deceive yourself that he really cares - if he did he would have bought us into the Prem long ago as he can certainly afford it. Not criticising for that as he has done a lot for the club but mostly he has done it for himself and his rich mans toy !

Does he really care about us ST holders - in fairness if you were him would you !!

7 minutes ago, longyears said:

...........and actually although I wish he was going I am not surprised. He is like a family member with the Lansdowns and will not I fear be fired. That is because the bigger picture ( IMO ) is that the new stadium will generate most income from non match day activities and events and the size of crowds for both Rugby and Football are not critical - Rugby in the Championship and BCFC in Div One will not be a financial disaster and as long as the love in continues with LJ I honestly do not believe SL will be too bothered.

We all have to remember that both rugby and football teams are a rich mans toys - do not ever deceive yourself that he really cares - if he did he would have bought us into the Prem long ago as he can certainly afford it. Not criticising for that as he has done a lot for the club but mostly he has done it for himself and his rich mans toy !

Does he really care about us ST holders - in fairness if you were him would you !!

Maybe this post will be the only response, as I'm sure not many people will waste their time bothering to reply to this drivel.

15 minutes ago, longyears said:

Well if I was him, I wouldn't care about fans like you...

Results will determine whether he stays or not.

He may have the backing of our owner and appear to be being treated far more generously than several of his predecessors but if he loses tomorrow and then again at Forest (which would make it a dreadful 11 league defeats in 12 games)  I simply cannot see how he can stay in his job.

13 minutes ago, longyears said:

Why is it drivel - quite a balanced view to anybody sane

Well, I hope I am sane.

I would suspect getting relegated this year is most certainly not in SLs planning. Why authorise the spending he has on players otherwise?

SL is not above criticism, most particularly on choice of managers. I happen to think however he cares very deeply about how we do. LJ is most certainly not unfireable. How much would it cost to simply buy our way in to the top league? Not sure I know, but with average luck, I would think something like £100m over two years. No one is happy with results at the moment, and if they continue this way, LJ will go, but the business model we have seems like the only sensible one at the moment.

We, or more accurately SL, lost £14m last year. Other income streams are vital if we are to build.

We are all a bit down at the moment. Call him incompetent, if you must, but I have seen nothing to suggest over the years SL does not care, very deeply, about how we do.

22 minutes ago, longyears said:

Why is it drivel - quite a balanced view to anybody sane

Have you ever met SL and spoken to him. I have and his passion and desire for BCFC is undeniable. Throwing money at the club with no planning will not guarantee success. Without being disrespectful, I hope its "longyears" before you post again!

1 hour ago, longyears said:

Your usernames inspired by the time we've been above the sags I presume.

8 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I'm always suspicious when these types of post are started by relative newbies

That is your right but under another id I had over 500 posts I just changed my id to avoid insults - which I may have deserved - so not a newbie at all - been posting since 2003 - I just do not believe SL is that bothered about us getting relegated - if he as he would have fired LJ by now !

2 minutes ago, longyears said:

That is your right but under another id I had over 500 posts I just changed my id to avoid insults - which I may have deserved - so not a newbie at all - been posting since 2003 - I just do not believe SL is that bothered about us getting relegated - if he as he would have fired LJ by now !

Steve Landsdown "not bothered" if we're relegated :laugh:  I reckon that might be the stupidest thing you have posted, but I wouldn't bank on it

1 minute ago, longyears said:

I'm sure SL has got fed up with hiring and firing as it is a big gamble, sometimes works more often doesn't. He's probably taking into account LJ turned Barnsley around after a run of 8 defeats. Having said all that I think LJ's got to get a win in the next 3 or 4 games to keep his job, SL will look after the club first however much he likes LJ.

IMG_1475.JPG

11 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I'm sure SL has got fed up with hiring and firing as it is a big gamble, sometimes works more often doesn't. He's probably taking into account LJ turned Barnsley around after a run of 8 defeats. Having said all that I think LJ's got to get a win in the next 3 or 4 games to keep his job, SL will look after the club first however much he likes LJ.

A win in his next 3-4 games..?!. **** me we've gotta put up with another 4 defeats in a row until he gets the boot... Please no....

44 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He may have the backing of our owner and appear to be being treated far more generously than several of his predecessors but if he loses tomorrow and then again at Forest (which would make it a dreadful 11 league defeats in 12 games)  I simply cannot see how he can stay in his job.

Just out of interest, What do you think will happen if we beat Fleetwood and Forest, then lose the next 2 games?

Absolute tosh.

Who the hell are you to tell anyone on here not to "deceive yourself"?

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

We will see, I won't hold my breath!

1 hour ago, marmite said:

Have you ever met SL and spoken to him. I have and his passion and desire for BCFC is undeniable. Throwing money at the club with no planning will not guarantee success. Without being disrespectful, I hope its "longyears" before you post again!

Not spending when we are on the up, and then splashing out desperately when we are on the down doesn't seem to me to me much of a plan.

The business plan remember belongs to Bristol sport

In the old days when we reached this level and began to fail, the cry was the club doesn't really want anything but third division. I am beginning to think the old boys may have had a point.  

None of the reality of these last two seasons gives me confidence that we are serious in reaching The Premiership.  We should have built on the base of the high confidence of the promotion season.

I agree with earlier poster, as I have been saying since this time last year, that I seriously doubt if Bristol Sport's stadium's financial plan requires City in Championship, let alone Premiership, or Rugby in Premiership either.  By the way I would be happier for a single owner to back one major sport not two.

2 hours ago, longyears said:

Need to build a club and that's what SL is doing. Rather do it this way than the Blackburn way, look at them now!!

Think he cares about the fans, I remember chatting to him at Colchester as he gave out free tickets and vouchers for the Fa cup. Not everyone's cup of tea granted. For me he will do. 

34 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Not spending when we are on the up, and then splashing out desperately when we are on the down doesn't seem to me to me much of a plan.

The business plan remember belongs to Bristol sport

In the old days when we reached this level and began to fail, the cry was the club doesn't really want anything but third division. I am beginning to think the old boys may have had a point.  

None of the reality of these last two seasons gives me confidence that we are serious in reaching The Premiership.  We should have built on the base of the high confidence of the promotion season.

I agree with earlier poster, as I have been saying since this time last year, that I seriously doubt if Bristol Sport's stadium's financial plan requires City in Championship, let alone Premiership, or Rugby in Premiership either.  By the way I would be happier for a single owner to back one major sport not two.

Both under GJ and SC, when we were on the up, I am sure I remember seeing SL quoted as saying that the money was there to back the manager and that the manager only had to ask. GJ as manager was guilty of not spending when he could and should have, but you can't  blame SL for the manager's decisions.

Under SC we bid for Gray and the Gayle and my understanding is that both fees ( substantial) were accepted and I think that the wages offered met what the players ( agents ) wanted. The only they didn't come here was the players chose not to. Doesn't sound like an owner not prepared to spend money when we are/were on the up.

The club has sensibly put together a plan that is financially sustainable - that's the football club, not Bristol Sport. That plan does not mean that Sl will not spend his money ( he spent heaven knows how much refurbishing the stadium - which he IS allowed to do under financial rule) - and the refurb started when we were in league 1, so that was also spending made while we were "on the up".

You might critics Sl's judgement when spending his money, but I don't think you can criticise him at all for being unwilling to spend for the club.

Whether or not Bristol Sports plan requires Bristol City to be in the championship I would be reasonably certain that SL wants us in the championship both as a fan and as the owner.

2 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Size of crowds MAY not be critical but are close to 20k anyway. So no real pressure being applied in that respect.

Indeed. All things considered our attendances at home this season have been superb, a 20k average is not to be sniffed at. 

Archived