IGNORED

Bobby Reid £5m man

Shuffle

I understand that Bobby has missed chances and divides opinion but cannot understand that so shortly after LJ  stating that if he could finish he would be worth £5m,that he's disappeared out of the squad.  Not suggesting that he should be starting but playing for the u23 today is a huge fall from grace.  Is he carrying the can for us squandering 2 goal lead v Reading ?

Many people to blame for this poor run of form etc but bobby Reid isn't one of them. 

For me last season and start of this season the way bobby Reid was linking up with Tomlin was a real bright spark. IMO Tomlin plays better with bobby in the side , for me Tomlin must play and if possible bobby could play with him.

5 minutes ago, kivsy said:

like his effort and creativenes, but reminds me of a poor mans raheem sterling, gets in good positions, and contrives to put a ball over from on the line !    is he now the £5 man ;0

Raheem Sterling is a poor man's Daniel Sturridge! What a slur you've just cast on Bobby...

It seems to be an unusual feature that when a player gets talked up, he then doesn't play. I think Pack was dropped for several games immediately after being praised and given a new contract. Perhaps to keep everyone happy, praise is used as a sweetener prior to the manager trying something else. Who knows.

On a related note I was thinking since Saturday how many players have improved under our Head Coach (who declared it his primary aim and hired Holden to improve their coaching coverage further still). I could only name Bobby Reid - back end of last season and early this one, by far our most improved player.

In my opinion every other player that was here last season, has got worse. It's one of those idiosyncrasies that LJ was billed as primarily a player improvement coach but if he is to survive it will be much more down to buying players. I agree it is odd that one player he appears to have enhanced, is out of the picture. 

6 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Many people to blame for this poor run of form etc but bobby Reid isn't one of them. 

For me last season and start of this season the way bobby Reid was linking up with Tomlin was a real bright spark. IMO Tomlin plays better with bobby in the side , for me Tomlin must play and if possible bobby could play with him.

Been saying this for months 100% correct. 

8 minutes ago, Olé said:

It seems to be an unusual feature that when a player gets talked up, he then doesn't play. I think Pack was dropped for several games immediately after being praised and given a new contract. Perhaps to keep everyone happy, praise is used as a sweetener prior to the manager trying something else. Who knows.

On a related note I was thinking since Saturday how many players have improved under our Head Coach (who declared it his primary aim and hired Holden to improve their coaching coverage further still). I could only name Bobby Reid - back end of last season and early this one, by far our most improved player.

In my opinion every other player that was here last season, has got worse. It's one of those idiosyncrasies that LJ was billed as primarily a player improvement coach but if he is to survive it will be much more down to buying players. I agree it is odd that one player he appears to have enhanced, is out of the picture. 

LJ spoke before of margins and small percentages. He highlighted Scott Golbourne as an example where they were working with him one to one ( can't remember what it was for). That's why I find it odd that you are right, no one has improved.

28 minutes ago, mightyreds89 said:

Been saying this for months 100% correct. 

Me too, caveat that he he can be inconsistent.

22 minutes ago, Libertine1 said:

LJ spoke before of margins and small percentages. He highlighted Scott Golbourne as an example where they were working with him one to one ( can't remember what it was for). That's why I find it odd that you are right, no one has improved.

It was strengthening to allow him to react and turn to cut out crosses.  You when a winger cuts back onto his other foot, as a full back you need to turn quickly and be able to get a block in.  It was on Twentyman's radio prog.

I'm in the 'give LJ more time camp' but this thread does highlight one concern I have. I do wonder if LJ is finding it hard to manage the squad size. He has said that it is a new problem for him which has been exacerbated by the new loan restrictions (we have to hold more players as we can't just loan someone in outside of the transfer windows).

On Twentyman tonight, when talking about the Fleetwood match, he was saying that certain players who had not played much recently had been doing well in training and deserved a chance. So I expect changes tomorrow.

I hope those changes are not one offs just for Fleetwood. My preference for tomorrow would be to pick the team and formation that we intend to play on Saturday v Forest, especially as we are bedding in the new signings.

Let's build some consistency for the team; let's make it simple for the players - you have the same role on Tuesday and on Saturday; let's give each player scope to get on the same wavelength with the players around them; each player has different strengths and weaknesses - if one week you are playing alongside Tomlin and the next O'Dowda, your approach needs to change. That is fine when you are playing with confidence and have the experience and skills to be flexible, but we don't at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Big Reid fan here and I do believe Reid played with Tomlin gives a better understanding and delivery to Abraham.

Am sure this split opinions !!

A number have been asking for 2 up top, so how do you fit Reid, Tomlin, Djuric and Abraham in the same side? I'm not sure we can.

A Reid/Tomlin combo would probably need to score more goals than they've shown signs of this season, to justify their two places in the team? Not saying it wouldn't/couldn't work, just that they'd need to bring more to the party than what - sometimes at least - appears to be lots of skill, but maybe a lack of end product? Personally would prefer two up top with one of Reid/Tomlin in behind, but just a personal preference. 

5 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Yes .

Never easy

But surely u could work that into a 3_5_2 when mangasson fit

In my opinion we Would be far too weak in the middle...if we play Reid and Tomlin in midfield as part of a 3-5-2 then we'd only have one 'battler' in the middle as the other two would be wing backs.

We'd be overrun with the defence put under even more pressure.

A front six along the lines of (assuming all fit and all eager...):

O'Neil

Hegeler                                      Bryan

Tomlin

Duric                                        Abraham

...looks decent to me, as long as we can muster a proper back 4 and a solid keeper. 

14 minutes ago, WestonRobin said:

In my opinion we Would be far too weak in the middle...if we play Reid and Tomlin in midfield as part of a 3-5-2 then we'd only have one 'battler' in the middle as the other two would be wing backs.

We'd be overrun with the defence put under even more pressure.

Reid and Tomlin worked against Fulham.  Just Jens CM would do for me.  

I see the future and it is bright ... Hegeler and Oniel pinning down the midfield.

NewKeeper

Wright........Flint........Mag's

Hegeler.....................................Oniel

Ried ..............................Tomlin....................Brownhill

Duric ......................Tammy

This gets Tomlin and Bobby in the team , but I'm not sure we'd get the crosses in to get the best out of Duric. Maybe Brownhill and Joe in WMF/WB roles. I may be wrong, it remains to be seen, but I'm quite excited about a midfield of Hegeler and Oniel.

6 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I see the future and it is bright ... Hegeler and Oniel pinning down the midfield.

NewKeeper

Wright........Flint........Mag's

Hegeler.....................................Oniel

Ried ..............................Tomlin....................Brownhill

Duric ......................Tammy

This gets Tomlin and Bobby in the team , but I'm not sure we'd get the crosses in to get the best out of Duric. Maybe Brownhill and Joe in WMF/WB roles. I may be wrong, it remains to be seen, but I'm quite excited about a midfield of Hegeler and Oniel.

Is that.. Reid in a wing back role?

1 minute ago, Sergio Georgini said:

Is that.. Reid in a wing back role?

No, just trying to get him in. This would be interesting, a 3-2-3-2 I think I've just invented a formation. Maybe a bit vulnerable to oppositions width mind.  

Archived