IGNORED

Marlon Pack

allyolly

Remember that game away at Fulham last season, when Pack pretty much single-handedly turned the game around for us? I do. Driving us forward from central midfield, spraying positive passes around the pitch for fun, and then also scoring.

There's a quality player in there, as there is in many of our 1st team squad, but for some reason or another they're just not performing to their true potential. 

Is it Johnson dragging them down? Hmmmm. 

21 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Remember that game away at Fulham last season, when Pack pretty much single-handedly turned the game around for us? I do. Driving us forward from central midfield, spraying positive passes around the pitch for fun, and then also scoring.

There's a quality player in there, as there is in many of our 1st team squad, but for some reason or another they're just not performing to their true potential. 

Is it Johnson dragging them down? Hmmmm. 

I remember this and agree with it 100%.

There is definitely a player in there, not saying I would have him in the starting line-up every game but if he was to leave us I would expect it to be to another championship club, which would make us worse off.

2 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

A good player but can't agree he's our pass master - Tomlin and Reid routinely create far more chances with their forward passes

That doesn't equate to them being the best passer of the ball, just means they are playing in higher positions on the pitch and thus more likely to provide the 'final' ball. 

Pack is without any shadow of a doubt the best passer in this squad. Those who come out with the tired old bs of "he only passes backwards" need to review his performances more closely. 

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

That doesn't equate to them being the best passer of the ball, just means they are playing in higher positions on the pitch and thus more likely to provide the 'final' ball. 

Pack is without any shadow of a doubt the best passer in this squad. Those who come out with the tired old bs of "he only passes backwards" need to review his performances more closely. 

Really strange for people to slate Pack's contribution in terms of assists or whatever. Since when has he been that kind of player? 

Like people saying Busquets is crap because he doesn't assist as much as Iniesta.  

Pack leads the way in the team in terms of pass completion and is only behind GON in terms of passes per game. His role isn't a playmaker or creative midfielder so why do people try and judge him like one. 

While we're at it let's have a go at Fielding for his lack of corner taking or Magnusson because he hasn't won enough penalties. 

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Maybe the best passer but suspect he has the most passes 'intercepted' and not on a numerical basis but on a % basis.

I think Pack is one of our more intelligent players. Not the fastest, often has to play a defensive midfield role, good in the air, strong on the ball, but does occasionally give the ball away in poor positions but nowhere near as often as Korey Smith. Can pick out a long pass but has cut down on trying it every 5 mins.

If I was to compare him to anyone he is a poor man's Michael Carrick. Our upturn in fortunes in previous seasons can be related to Pack getting a consistent run in the team. And if he left, I have no doubt he would make it in another Championship team as a regular.

9 hours ago, redysteadygo said:

Maybe the best passer but suspect he has the most passes 'intercepted' and not on a numerical basis but on a % basis.

So I've just watched the entire Cardiff game back on Player. I've got some Pack stats for you :

Total passes : 32

Pass completion : 27

Back or sideways : 16/16

Forward : 11/16

So, exactly 50% of his passes were forwards. He had 100% completion on back/sideways passes. Of the 16 attempted forward passes, 5 led to attacks/chances. Of the 5 passes not completed, none were intercepted, 2 were balls into channels, the others were hopeful forward balls whilst under pressure. 

In summary, when he's got the ball at his feet, he invariably looks to keep possession, but does always look for forward passes to set off attacks. He doesn't play the 'final' ball from his position, hence rare assists, but he does set the attack moving in a lot of our play. 

The "always passes backwards" nonsense that a lot of fans come out with is just that, nonsense. 

Nice work Harry, you've only got to listen to the radio commentary tonight to see the value of players who keep the ball ticking over....sounded like Hegeler did just that.

I don't care who plays in with him, but Pack more than worthy when he gets that chance.

14 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Don't think it has much relevance. An exceptionally nervy local derby is surely more conducive for making players play it safe. Facts are that the common misconceptions about Pack are incorrect.

I'm not sure about that, personally it'd make me want to go for their throats considering both teams forms, obviously neither of us know what Pack thinks. I don't think you can claim that the common conceptions are incorrect from a bit of unofficial analysis from one game all season either.

Genuine question, I'm honestly not trying to be patronising, argumentative etc, but do you go to games? IMO, it may be down to noticing it months ago, but IMO Pack passes backwards far far too much & often misses a potentially great pass to go for the easy option (usually backwards).

The problem with Pack is not so much his passing it's his overall midfield play.

He's forever losing his man and his tracking back especially near our penalty area is woeful.  And he also fails to engage the attacking team until they've got to the edge of our penalty area causing us enormous problems.

He frustrates the hell out of me as you can see a decent player in there but some of his basic midfield play is appalling. 

Before you respond.. Just watch him.. Particularly tracking his man.

4 hours ago, Griffin said:

I'm not sure about that, personally it'd make me want to go for their throats considering both teams forms, obviously neither of us know what Pack thinks. I don't think you can claim that the common conceptions are incorrect from a bit of unofficial analysis from one game all season either.

Debatable, a deep lying midfielder like Pack would be one you may expect to be more cautious in a derby game when it's so tense and our form is so bad. But as you say, no way for us to know what goes through his head.

Genuine question, I'm honestly not trying to be patronising, argumentative etc, but do you go to games? IMO, it may be down to noticing it months ago, but IMO Pack passes backwards far far too much & often misses a potentially great pass to go for the easy option (usually backwards).

Yes Griffin, I wouldn't have posted over 6500 times about a team I don't watch. And yes, that did come across as both patronising and argumentative :yes:

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Debatable, a deep lying midfielder like Pack would be one you may expect to be more cautious in a derby game when it's so tense and our form is so bad. But as you say, no way for us to know what goes through his head.

Yes Griffin, I wouldn't have posted over 6500 times about a team I don't watch. And yes, that did come across as both patronising and argumentative :yes:

True, I have no problem with him being cautious, I just think there's a level of cautioned then there's Pack.

Apologies, genuinely meant no offence by it.

I think Pack has been messed up by not playing as regularly as he did. I was at the Fulham game, MOTM by an absolute mile, but then wasn't he dropped without reason for the next match? You can't treat players like that. Pack is intelligent, hard working and never hides. Off the field too he is a huge asset to this club, you won't find a better person to represent us. The ultimate professional. We MUST hold on to him, I would hate to see him at Ashton Gate wearing another clubs colours.

22 hours ago, Griffin said:

Johnsons turning Pack in to a 'mini me', talks the talk but can't pass forward if his life depended on it. 

Not what I've seen.  He's suffered in confidence like all of them, but he is the best long passer of the ball we've got and actually does not play the square ball as often as many others.

8 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Not what I've seen.  He's suffered in confidence like all of them, but he is the best long passer of the ball we've got and actually does not play the square ball as often as many others.

His diagonal long balls are about the only thing I think he's good at. However, they're still safe because no defenders can intercept them. You'll never see him do a cutting pass through the middle of the park. I know he's a CDM, I don't expect it frequently, I just think he is too uncreative.

19 hours ago, Harry said:

So I've just watched the entire Cardiff game back on Player. I've got some Pack stats for you :

Total passes : 32

Pass completion : 27

Back or sideways : 16/16

Forward : 11/16

So, exactly 50% of his passes were forwards. He had 100% completion on back/sideways passes. Of the 16 attempted forward passes, 5 led to attacks/chances. Of the 5 passes not completed, none were intercepted, 2 were balls into channels, the others were hopeful forward balls whilst under pressure. 

In summary, when he's got the ball at his feet, he invariably looks to keep possession, but does always look for forward passes to set off attacks. He doesn't play the 'final' ball from his position, hence rare assists, but he does set the attack moving in a lot of our play. 

The "always passes backwards" nonsense that a lot of fans come out with is just that, nonsense. 

Harry, thanks for Pack's passing stats for the Cardiff game. I am in the camp that rates Pack as one of our more accomplished passers of the ball particularly has he has now curtailed the number of long diaganol "Hollywood" balls that were being picked off more frequently in this division. Added to his tackling and heading ability this makes him a valuable midfielder for us when played with other midfielders who can cover for what I feel are his lack of pace and ability to track runners.

Also, not complaining about backward / sideways passing as this is normally the result of little or no movement forward of the player in possession which seems to be one of our "traits" at the moment and a priority that needs to be addressed in training. Wouldn't expect / want one of our back 3/4/5 attempting to dribble out from the back under pressure so a safe ball is going to be the answer when there is little movement ahead creating options to move the ball forward.

With regard to "intercepted passes", probably due to the consequences of a misplaced pass giving the opposition the initiative when we are pushing forward,  this situation irks me and in my mind's eye Pack is more often the culprit. Although I have the impression that Reid is probably just as bad. I have no means of providing reliable stats on this subject so cannot provide any evidence of my thoughts of games other than the recent Cardiff one.

Anyway let's hope our recent win will boost confidence and give a resultant improvement in skill levels and application that will result in more points to put space between us and the bottom four. Probably we will be watching Pack's passing in the near future with a keener eye.    COYR

11 hours ago, Griffin said:

His diagonal long balls are about the only thing I think he's good at. However, they're still safe because no defenders can intercept them. You'll never see him do a cutting pass through the middle of the park. I know he's a CDM, I don't expect it frequently, I just think he is too uncreative.

He does pass forward if there's a pass on. You don't just play the ball forward regardless. Teams pass the ball around the midfield while forward players are making run after run and moving defenders around to find space , you don't just pass forward for the sake of it. I really do wonder what some people are watching sometimes.

8 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

He does pass forward if there's a pass on. You don't just play the ball forward regardless. Teams pass the ball around the midfield while forward players are making run after run and moving defenders around to find space , you don't just pass forward for the sake of it. I really do wonder what some people are watching sometimes.

Next game watch him, frequently bottles a potentially good pass forwards, I really do wonder what some people are watching.

Archived