BCFC_Josh

2 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

OD

Wright Flint Mag

Little               Bryant

Helg O'Neil

Tomlin

Bosnian    Tammy

That is a stong side. Strongest seen for many years.

Surely he's too old for us now.

Giefer

Wright   Flint   Magnusson 

Brownhill O'Neil Hegeler Bryant                     

Tomlin    

Dujric        Abraham 

Fielding, Gouldborne, Pack,    Reid, O'downa, Patterson, Engvall 

Giefer

Wright   Flint   Magnusson 

Brownhill O'Neil Hegeler Bryant                     

Tomlin    

Dujric        Abraham 

Fielding, Gouldborne, Vyner, Pack,    Ried, Patterson, Engvall 

Giefer(Fielding)

little/Brownhill   wright   flint   Magnusson 

Patterson  Hegeler   Bryan 

Tomlin 

Tammy  Duric 

14 hours ago, MarkRed! said:

I follow the Bundesliga and although this fella is not a household name here, he is a competent keeper.  He has not played for a while as he had a very bad injury but he has all the attributes. He is thought of very highly in Germany and TBH I am shocked we could even get a player of his calibre. He is not playing at the moment because Schalke have Ralf Fährmann in goal and he is close to a German call up. He is very similar to Giefer. Giefer will bring that assurance we have lacked and a physical presence. His pedigree is very good: 

1. He has experience in the Bundesliga and has played 100 games. This has been curtailed by a couple of bad injuries.

2. He has been capped at youth level by Germany and was courted by some of the big boys when he was younger including Bayern.

3. He is tall and a presence in the goal. Complete opposite to Fielding. He has good distribution and is good on the ball. He is an excellent one on one stopper.

If we can get this one over the line I think this will be outstanding business...

What type were the injuries?

9 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I'll back Hegeler to dominate without another defensive midfielder next to him. This would leave space for Reid instead of O'Neill

True but would still start with O'Neil sat next to him opposed to Bobby and keep in nice and solid to begin with , we are more solid without the ball and hopefully gives us the platform to dictate play, also allows hegeler to join in which he clearly has the potential to do as he has shown glimpses in previous 2 games, if things aren't going to plan you the can then bring Bobby on and go more expansive. 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Just curious how many times have you actually seen him play?

Once in December 2013 when I was at my inlaws in Germany (who are German and are supporters of Fortuna Dusseldorf). I think the team he was playing against was Cottbus In Bundesliga II. He looked good then but that was obviously 4 years ago!  Fortuna (the team he played for) were promoted back to the Bundesliga. I think he moved to Schalke at the end of that season and then was injured. He has rarely played since but as I said, he was a promising talent and once had Bayern knocking on the door....   

2 hours ago, Kim_il_sung said:

Looking at that lineup really brings home just how much talent we have. Four players with international caps, a former bundesliga regular, two players with premier league experience and a home grown star thrown in to boot. There is absolutely no way we should be in a relegation struggle and it just shows what a poor job Johnson has done.

I'm feeling positive about Saturday for some crazy reason. The hex Forest used to have over us has been totally reversed in recent years. We are well capable of beating them and its about time we had a bit of luck too. Come on you flippin reds.

But 3 of those only arrived this month...........

54 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

What type were the injuries?

He had a bad muscle injury I believe which kept him out for a long time and numerous operations. These injuries occurred after his move to Schalke and he has virtually missed 2 whole seasons.... there is no way BCFC would be able to get him otherwise. He was a top talent in Germany at the point he moved to Schalke... what has happened to him afterwards is very sad but he has the opportunity to rebuild his career with us. We are very lucky to get him... if we have... youll see when he plays! 

51 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I'll back Hegeler to dominate without another defensive midfielder next to him. This would leave space for Reid instead of O'Neill

Reid is a liability in the middle of the park - it has to be Gary Oneill or Pack. Reid would be ideally placed playing in the 10 role. There at least we have options with Reid, Paterson and Tomlin. 

15 hours ago, MarkRed! said:

Giefer in goal for Fielding (assume that deal will now be done). This lad looks like the keeper we have longed for....

Tammy for Engvall

People have been watching YouTube videos of Giefer which are probably several years old, he's only played a handful of games in the last couple of years and had injury issues. He's bound to be a bit rusty so LJ will have to assess him first.

15 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

Reid is a liability in the middle of the park - it has to be Gary Oneill or Pack. Reid would be ideally placed playing in the 10 role. There at least we have options with Reid, Paterson and Tomlin. 

I was trusting what you said about Giefer until you posted this.

33 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

Why not start with Engvall and then Tammy comes in with fresh legs. Paterson scored yesterday and will probably start, but I prefer Tomlin.

So you would leave out our top scorer?

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

I was trusting what you said about Giefer until you posted this.

:) to be fair i think Bobby has been more effective than the players playing in the 10 position (Tomlin, Freeman, O'dowda!)  but there is no way he can play in the middle with Hegeler....He is just too light weight for that role and he loses the ball... I would definitely find a role for him much further forward. 

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

People have been watching YouTube videos of Giefer which are probably several years old, he's only played a handful of games in the last couple of years and had injury issues. He's bound to be a bit rusty so LJ will have to assess him first.

There are lots of reels on You Tube and even from the Budesliga directly (so long as you can speak German) about any player... the fact is that all of those reels pre-date 2014 because he has not really played since then because of some bad injuries. He has written in the media in Germany about his injuries and he sounds hell bent on re-establishing himself. I agree with you though, he has played only twice I believe in 2 years but he has also been behind another very good keeper, Farhman.

The fact is though, he will be ready to play and I would throw him in. I guess you have to watch him (admittedly I have only seen him live once and a long time ago before he went to Schalke) but he just has that "presence", like all top players have.... I just feel that he will be an improvement on what we have by some distance. Fans can judge it themselves ... my own view is that this is a masterstroke. I have said that before in an earlier post - had he not been injured he would not be coming to BCFC.... I hear Ajax and Dortmund had also enquired about him..... he is being guaranteed first team football and that is why he is signing. Those other clubs would not be trying to sign him if he was not highly regarded..... come back to me when you see him play! I am very positive about this signing and he is lightyears ahead of Lucic by the way, despite being injured!

10 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

:) to be fair i think Bobby has been more effective than the players playing in the 10 position (Tomlin, Freeman, O'dowda!)  but there is no way he can play in the middle with Hegeler....He is just too light weight for that role and he loses the ball... I would definitely find a role for him much further forward. 

Reid playing in that role, next to either O'Neil or Pack, was part of the reason we had such impressive early season form. 

11 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Reid playing in that role, next to either O'Neil or Pack, was part of the reason we had such impressive early season form. 

Maybe you have a point....but I saw him against Brentford, Preston and Wolves and he was constantly giving the ball away and being brushed aside too easily. He was then benched for the Ipswich and Reading games. When he came on briefly against Reading he was a liability.... It cannot be any coincidence that he has not played since or been involved in the 3 squads..... BTW - I like Bobby and think he is one of our most improved players but I think his best position would be in the 10 role. 

36 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

Maybe you have a point....but I saw him against Brentford, Preston and Wolves and he was constantly giving the ball away and being brushed aside too easily. He was then benched for the Ipswich and Reading games. When he came on briefly against Reading he was a liability.... It cannot be any coincidence that he has not played since or been involved in the 3 squads..... BTW - I like Bobby and think he is one of our most improved players but I think his best position would be in the 10 role. 

I don't recall the Brentford and Preston games from an individual basis other than Tammy missing a couple that he would normally score. I can say Bobby in the Wolves and Reading game was played out of position and done a decent job out there against Wolves. He's probably been one of our most consistently good players this year to only be played out of position then dropped. He's key when Tomlin plays as it allows Tomlin to drop deep while Reid takes up the positions Tomlin should be in. Also Bobby has been one of our more disruptive players defensively nipping in and giving opposition less time on the ball. He'll never be a powerful CM but it doesn't mean he isn't a good one. 

7 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

OD

Wright Flint Mag

Little               Bryant

Helg O'Neil

Tomlin

Bosnian    Tammy

That is a stong side. Strongest seen for many years.

Like this except Patterson for tomlin. 

1 minute ago, Lucan said:

Where are you getting your figures from? Not saying you are wrong, I'm going off Wiki which has him down as 116 career apps of which 42 are in the Bundesliga

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabian_Giefer#Career_statistics

Also wiki, but I added wrong.

As did you.

48 in the Bundesliga. Still more than a seasons worth.

I am a fan of Tomlin, he has fantastic talent, but unless he would be willing to drop back in and help the midfield out when we do not have the ball, like Patterson did last night, then I would stick with Patterson on Saturday. Patterson was a threat when we were going forward, but also worked very hard to help when we did not have possession.

Archived