IGNORED

Spurs' new ground (merged)

lenred

Includes a micro brewery, artisan bakery, Michelin star dining and a cheese room. Could you imagine the uproar on this forum if that was the case here!  On a serious note though, it just shows how football at the top end is changing rapidly (for better or worse depending on your point of view) and becoming an all day 'experience' as opposed to just a 90 min visit, and reiterates how bloody lucky we are to have SL's investment in our upgraded Ashton Gate. 

I know a lot of people like to slag off American sports and the way they do things, but they have it bang on in regards to making sport an actual day out instead of just about what happens on the field. I don't believe there is anything wrong in that aspect creeping in to our sides of the sport, just as long as the prices will be sustainable!

39 minutes ago, lenred said:

Includes a micro brewery, artisan bakery, Michelin star dining and a cheese room. Could you imagine the uproar on this forum if that was the case here!  On a serious note though, it just shows how football at the top end is changing rapidly (for better or worse depending on your point of view) and becoming an all day 'experience' as opposed to just a 90 min visit, and reiterates how bloody lucky we are to have SL's investment in our upgraded Ashton Gate. 

Also includes 'premium seats' which will be heated and have USB points. Meh.

46 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

I know a lot of people like to slag off American sports and the way they do things, but they have it bang on in regards to making sport an actual day out instead of just about what happens on the field. I don't believe there is anything wrong in that aspect creeping in to our sides of the sport, just as long as the prices will be sustainable!

I am a Green Bay Packers fan and regularly head over to watch games. The whole experience is completely different to anything over here, they do make a whole day of it and have a great time. Not all of it is better though, as they could learn a few things about songs and chanting during games.,

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This could be a good thing if tickets are reduced more generally there- I believe Bayern have/had a similar policy.

Exactly. Nothing wrong with the best seats being really expensive so long as the money made goes towards making the majority of the rest of the ground cheaper and more affordable. 

They have small breweries in the US - you go in, choose your ingredients, make your mulch and create your beir / larger, leave them to ferment and go back some time and collect/bottle them - you can sit in a bar and drink some,invite others to taste your beir, and even sell them in the bar so others can experience them..... could you imagine that at AG.... i'd be there a LOT.

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This could be a good thing if tickets are reduced more generally there- I believe Bayern have/had a similar policy.

Why would that reduce tickets?

I'm sure I read something along the lines that with the TV money in the prem, most eams could play in an empty stadium and it wouldnt impact profits. If the TV money wasnt enough to reduce ticket prices than i cant see all these added extras reducing them. If anything itll may increase demand and therefore prices.

Also, you forget that the Germans generally do it for the right reasons. To compare our money hungry teams to them just doesnt work.

1 hour ago, lenred said:

No cider though - poor!

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Arsenal moved to a state of the art, brand new stadium with bigger capacity and , I presume, every facility known to man,

They have the most expensive ticket prices in the prem ( and possibly the world!)

The cynic in me suspects that every thing Spurs put in their new stadium is designed to bring in more revenue, not to reduce ticket prices, but credit to them if it does.

For balance it should be pointed out that Spurs have incorporated a magnificent single-tier kop end in their new stadium designed very much with the more "traditional" supporter in mind. I don't see anything wrong with any of the other stuff as long as the longstanding working class supporters are catered for and can still afford to go.

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Exactly. Nothing wrong with the best seats being really expensive so long as the money made goes towards making the majority of the rest of the ground cheaper and more affordable. 

Agreed.

31 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

For balance it should be pointed out that Spurs have incorporated a magnificent single-tier kop end in their new stadium designed very much with the more "traditional" supporter in mind. I don't see anything wrong with any of the other stuff as long as the longstanding working class supporters are catered for and can still afford to go.

That is something, would be ideal for safe standing too if that ever comes about ~(subject to gradient and SAG).

59 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Arsenal moved to a state of the art, brand new stadium with bigger capacity and , I presume, every facility known to man,

They have the most expensive ticket prices in the prem ( and possibly the world!)

The cynic in me suspects that every thing Spurs put in their new stadium is designed to bring in more revenue, not to reduce ticket prices, but credit to them if it does.

You are probably right but you never know...if it's good enough for Bayern.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Why would that reduce tickets?

I'm sure I read something along the lines that with the TV money in the prem, most eams could play in an empty stadium and it wouldnt impact profits. If the TV money wasnt enough to reduce ticket prices than i cant see all these added extras reducing them. If anything itll may increase demand and therefore prices.

Also, you forget that the Germans generally do it for the right reasons. To compare our money hungry teams to them just doesnt work.

Well yes you're probably right- it could reduce tickets but probably won't- the supply and demand thing yeah may push it up.

I read there is supposed to be a 17k one-tierred home end that is inspired by the Dortmund yellow wall. Hopefully they stick to their word and don't fill it with corporates/families.

In all likelihood though, it'll probably end up being a rubbish atmosphere like the Emirates/Olympic Stadium.

2 hours ago, Fiale said:

They have small breweries in the US - you go in, choose your ingredients, make your mulch and create your beir / larger, leave them to ferment and go back some time and collect/bottle them - you can sit in a bar and drink some,invite others to taste your beir, and even sell them in the bar so others can experience them..... could you imagine that at AG.... i'd be there a LOT.

I did that recently in Edinburgh as part of a stag weekend. Place is called The Hanging Bat. We then drank our beer at the wedding. Highly recommended - the venue that is, not the beer we produced!

1 hour ago, Fat Cigar said:

Their new ground looks flippin' amazing. Well, the photos do anyway. I read that 7,000 of the 61,000 seats will go to corporates. That is a hell of a lot. 

West Ham fans must be seething. 

Anyway, our little 27,000 stadium looks great. 

Cockney wankerdom.

4 hours ago, Mr Hankey said:

Very true. In America sports clubs are seen as a place of enjoyment that's set up for the fans/members, the clubs are seen as the centre of the social life of the fans, partners and kids, who get involved with  that Club.They spend money because they are having a good time. 

In GB it's the other way around - the fans/members are there to keep the clubs going financially. Totally different approach. In British football the fans are almost seen as the enemy by those "in power". Served up over-priced, sub-standard, processed food and drink that they normally would't look at out side the stadium. Everything they want is seen as a problem.

Look at the difference when Ashton Gate is used as a venue for a big Rock Concert by an outside promoter. I went to the Who concert some years back. The whole emphasis was on giving the audience an amazing time. All those noisy fans shouting and yelling were welcomed as the ones who would help create the atmosphere??

A big game at City is perceived as a massive headache for the "Stadium Manager", all those extra potentially violent sweary fans running amuck. The coppers rubbing their hands with glee at all the overtime, ready to wind the fans up to make a bit of trouble so they can ask for even more overtime the next time.

All very primitive. Wouldn't take much to improve the match day experience week on week. Glad to hear that Spurs fans will be treated like human beings.

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I did that recently in Edinburgh as part of a stag weekend. Place is called The Hanging Bat. We then drank our beer at the wedding. Highly recommended - the venue that is, not the beer we produced!

Serious question Kid. How can it be 'brewed' so quickly? I thought it took time, a whole lot precious time as some Scouser once said....

Wtf not...bloody brilliant idea.

We, as British citizens have been short changed in this country for far too long.

Go to Europe...you walk in a bar, and you sit down and they come to you...table service...and you are treated like a human being.

Here...you roll up...wait for ages at a bar, try to get noticed, put your elbow in spilt beer, and get served by some spotty teenager who doesn't give a shit, and treats you like he's doing you a favour....screw that.

Why not enjoy some cheese and wine before or after a game? It's not posh...it's peasant food, eaten and drunk by peasants and the poor throughout the world. It's only us uneducated Brits that think it's 'posh'.

It's the European 'Ploughman's lunch'.

However...paying 19G plus 30G up front for a couple of seats and restaurant access, with window on to the players tunnel is hilarious.

Talk about watching the animals at the zoo...wtf!

It's funny how we put footballers/sportsman and pop stars on a pedestal these days.

Back in the day, they'd be nothing more than slave Gladiators and Court Jesters...nothing more, nothing less...the 'lowest of the low'. There to 'Entertain us'.

Now they are idolised... and peasant food like cheese and wine and oysters are seen as posh food.

You couldn't make it up....

6 hours ago, lenred said:

Ashton Gate is all very well,but where is the Extra Mature Cheddar Lounge??

41 minutes ago, spudski said:

Wtf not...bloody brilliant idea.

We, as British citizens have been short changed in this country for far too long.

Go to Europe...you walk in a bar, and you sit down and they come to you...table service...and you are treated like a human being.

Here...you roll up...wait for ages at a bar, try to get noticed, put your elbow in spilt beer, and get served by some spotty teenager who doesn't give a shit, and treats you like he's doing you a favour....screw that.

Why not enjoy some cheese and wine before or after a game? It's not posh...it's peasant food, eaten and drunk by peasants and the poor throughout the world. It's only us uneducated Brits that think it's 'posh'.

It's the European 'Ploughman's lunch'.

However...paying 19G plus 30G up front for a couple of seats and restaurant access, with window on to the players tunnel is hilarious.

Talk about watching the animals at the zoo...wtf!

It's funny how we put footballers/sportsman and pop stars on a pedestal these days.

Back in the day, they'd be nothing more than slave Gladiators and Court Jesters...nothing more, nothing less...the 'lowest of the low'. There to 'Entertain us'.

Now they are idolised... and peasant food like cheese and wine and oysters are seen as posh food.

You couldn't make it up....

Are you NOT ENTERTAINED !

S10200821105938.jpg

Seriously though, I would have loved to see a gladiatorial event in the colosseum - not blood lust or anything, but the spectacle that is described... just wow, I am sure there is nothing nowadays to compare, not even the Olympics.

2 minutes ago, Fiale said:

S10200821105938.jpg

Seriously though, I would have loved to see a gladiatorial event in the colosseum - not blood lust or anything, but the spectacle that is described... just wow, I am sure there is nothing nowadays to compare, not even the Olympics.

Try;Daniel P Mannix. ; "Those about to Die"......interesting read.

18 minutes ago, Fiale said:

S10200821105938.jpg

Bull fighting is the closest you'll get these days.

Tbh...I couldn't think of anything worse. It was just death and destruction.

Man against man. Man against beast. Over 5000 animals were killed in one day, at one event.

People eaten alive by wild animals for entertainment.

Woman tied up and F****d by animals for entertainment...I could go on.

Not something I'd like to witness....and I've watched a bull fight...it was detestable.

No wonder they won't allow the river Tiber to be dredged.

Imagine being a player "Alright son welcome to Spurs. Just FYI; every home game, just when you're trying to focus on the job and gee yourself up, we're gunna let a bunch of fans gawp at youbtgrough a glass window. Just checking that won't put you off or anything. Oh? You're not ok with that intrusion into this crucial moment...well they've paid £9000 each plus a £30K fee so put up or shut up."

Yes it's not too different to cameras or mascots in the tunnel. But still. It's a bit "zoo" isn't it?

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Imagine being a player "Alright son welcome to Spurs. Just FYI; every home game, just when you're trying to focus on the job and gee yourself up, we're gunna let a bunch of fans gawp at youbtgrough a glass window. Just checking that won't put you off or anything. Oh? You're not ok with that intrusion into this crucial moment...well they've paid £9000 each plus a £30K fee so put up or shut up."

Yes it's not too different to cameras or mascots in the tunnel. But still. It's a bit "zoo" isn't it?

To be fair, it is one way glass so it's not going to be putting any players off...

9 hours ago, lenred said:

Are you saying none of us like beer, freshly baked products and or good food. Or cheese? What a crass assumption about forum users. Personally, I'd love any of those things (whilst ot being able to afford the dining). 

8 hours ago, MarcusX said:

WTF does anyone need a USB port for at a football match :facepalm:

Really? have you not seen how much time kids these days spend on their phones between 3pm and 4:50pm? They'd rate that as ideal. (No jokes about being better off looking at yr phone than the 'action' on the pitch these last few weeks)

17 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Yep apparently that single-tier home end will hold 17,000 - great stuff!

29 minutes ago, Vespa Red said:

Use to live about half a mile from White Hart Lane.  Just thought you'd all like to know that.

Carry on.

did you walk your dog over the land where they are building or have all year round BBQ's there ?

Hows it going to be a generic bowl with a 17,000 home end??? Its going to be tre closest thing we have in this country to Dortmund's yellow wall.

IMHO its going to blow every other ground in the country out the water when completed.

The point of all the fromagerie/ glass tunnel rubbish, is so that the day trippers/corporates can subsidise the 'core' support in the Home End - which if it actually happens (?!) should be v much applauded....

I would like to see us build a 'mini' 12,000 version in place of the Atyeo one day...  

5 minutes ago, red'tili'mdead said:

Hows it going to be a generic bowl with a 17,000 home end??? Its going to be tre closest thing we have in this country to Dortmund's yellow wall.

IMHO its going to blow every other ground in the country out the water when completed.

The point of all the fromagerie/ glass tunnel rubbish, is so that the day trippers/corporates can subsidise the 'core' support in the Home End - which if it actually happens (?!) should be v much applauded....

I would like to see us build a 'mini' 12,000 version in place of the Atyeo one day...  

Is it ****. Just because it's big doesn't mean it'll be anything like the Yellow Wall.

Not even particularly keen on the corporate side of things being part of football in the first place, although it's here to stay now and there's nothing we can do about it. Will depend on how much the tickets are for this home end before I applaud it.

10 minutes ago, red'tili'mdead said:

We’d just look like (“mini”) St. James’s Park. (Newcastle, not Exeter!) 

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 16:13, Fat Cigar said:

Their new ground looks flippin' amazing. Well, the photos do anyway. I read that 7,000 of the 61,000 seats will go to corporates. That is a hell of a lot. 

West Ham fans must be seething. 

Anyway, our little 27,000 stadium looks great. 

apart from the atyeo end, it now really lets the whole look down in my opinion, are we really not ever able to improve it. maybe blend it in a bit better.

10 minutes ago, RedM said:

Still standing though isn’t it, they don’t make ‘em like that any more!:laughcont:

Oh I don’t know... decrepit, crumbling terraces, very few seats, unsafe surroundings, frequented by blood thirsty lepars and with poor sanitation. No modernisation in decades. 

It’s reminding me of somewhere... I just can’t think where..! 

Archived