IGNORED

width needed.

marmite

Many on here, including me say the side is lacking width. Do we really need to recruit on this area or do we already have the answer with Luke Freeman. If he wants to leave we may as well make the most of him while we have him. He may be inconsistent this season but who hasn't? At least he can stretch defences wide and leave more space in the middle for our front two. Has he played much when we have had 2 up top to cross for?

2 minutes ago, marmite said:

Many on here, including me say the side is lacking width. Do we really need to recruit on this area or do we already have the answer with Luke Freeman. If he wants to leave we may as well make the most of him while we have him. He may be inconsistent this season but who hasn't? At least he can stretch defences wide and leave more space in the middle for our front two. Has he played much when we have had 2 up top to cross for?

The issue is he is playing 3-5-2 now the width must come from the Wing backs so you need to sign players to play Wing back. Freeman would be in the pocket behind the strikers like Tomlin or Patterson 

5 minutes ago, MattRSp95 said:

The issue is he is playing 3-5-2 now the width must come from the Wing backs so you need to sign players to play Wing back. Freeman would be in the pocket behind the strikers like Tomlin or Patterson 

Trouble is our wing backs play too narrow and too deep.

Freeman would offer attacking width if we could accommodate him.

8 minutes ago, marmite said:

Exactly, he did that start of the season but with a change in system means pushing him and Patterson inside. If we want this system and width we need to sign top Wing Backs 

11 minutes ago, MattRSp95 said:

The issue is manifold and comes from the fact that the squad still isn't quite there.

Until recently:

- Abraham up front alone, even with attacking midfielders around him, gets isolated and bullied

- Abraham is our main threat, so must play

- Now we're limited to formations with at least 2 forwards

- If we play 3 up front, Wilbraham can't play wide at his age and Tomlin likes to be in the middle, so no width there

- Central midfield is too weak with just 2 players. If we play 3 there then we can't accommodate wide players in midfield

- Our full backs aren't good enough to provide attacking width without leaving the tow centre halves isolated

That makes 3-5-2 the least-worst option at the moment, though I don't like it myself, and as you correctly identify, Bryan/Golbourne and Little/Matthews are not ideal wing backs for various reasons.

However, with the new signings, we have a strong player up front to support Abraham and an excellent all-round central midfielder that may permit playing 2 in midfield.

I think LJ would like to play with a back 4 and attacking fullbacks. I think he believes that Bryan can be one of those in time, but it's clear that Little and Matthews aren't up to it for various reasons, so I'd imagine right back is a top priority position for recruitment.

26 minutes ago, marmite said:

So you're saying ' never mind the quality feel the width ' ? 

15 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

The issue is manifold and comes from the fact that the squad still isn't quite there.

Until recently:

- Abraham up front alone, even with attacking midfielders around him, gets isolated and bullied

- Abraham is our main threat, so must play

- Now we're limited to formations with at least 2 forwards

- If we play 3 up front, Wilbraham can't play wide at his age and Tomlin likes to be in the middle, so no width there

- Central midfield is too weak with just 2 players. If we play 3 there then we can't accommodate wide players in midfield

- Our full backs aren't good enough to provide attacking width without leaving the tow centre halves isolated

That makes 3-5-2 the least-worst option at the moment, though I don't like it myself, and as you correctly identify, Bryan/Golbourne and Little/Matthews are not ideal wing backs for various reasons.

However, with the new signings, we have a strong player up front to support Abraham and an excellent all-round central midfielder that may permit playing 2 in midfield.

I think LJ would like to play with a back 4 and attacking fullbacks. I think he believes that Bryan can be one of those in time, but it's clear that Little and Matthews aren't up to it for various reasons, so I'd imagine right back is a top priority position for recruitment.

Yeah completely agree, I can't really add anything to that! 

39 minutes ago, marmite said:

Football's a funny old game.  I'm just wondering which games you are watching?

"too narrow"???  This is madness.  Bryan's left foot has not been on the pitch for the last ten games (Reading aside).  Little barely ever moves more than 5 metres from the touchline.

The problem is that the wingbacks stay rigidly on the line and are then easy to mark.

10 minutes ago, Chivs said:

"too narrow"???  This is madness.  Bryan's left foot has not been on the pitch for the last ten games (Reading aside).  Little barely ever moves more than 5 metres from the touchline.

The problem is that the wingbacks stay rigidly on the line and are then easy to mark.

Chivs - you aren't far from the truth there, they do play too wide.  JB will come inside for the ball inside the RB and RCB in the final third, but doesn't come inside in the further out build up.  Little only comes inside with the ball.

Was watching Gunter (Reading v someone the other Friday) and he often came inside 10-15-20 yards to get the ball, often McCleary moving outside him as the rotated their movement well.

The Liverpool side under Benitez (at the end) and Hodgson had a team of players whom the majority never stepped out of their shape.  Only the quality of Gerrard, Torres, Alonso got them results.  They were awful to watch.

4 hours ago, MattRSp95 said:

Freeman has no end product.

4 minutes ago, shelts said:

Think we need more girth 

See above uhhhhhummm.

4 hours ago, marmite said:

Genuine question...with respect...do you actually go to games?

Our wing backs very rarely leave the touchline. The only time they do, is when we defend, when they come inside and take up positions nearer the edge of the 18 yard box.

Little and Bryan are often found out wide hugging the touchline. Don't confuse width with wingers.

You only had to see how Bryan took advantage at Fleetwood, robbed the ball on the touchline and nearly scored from both interceptions.

We offer attacking width...but not in the sense of a 'traditional' winger.

Freeman, is not the type of player that does this. He takes way too many touch's....and lets the opposition regain shape.

We need quick, pass and go movement...not pass, receive, step over, step over, go sideways, reverse....then pass. Only for it to go to Tomlin and him do the same.

That's been our biggest problem this season...lots of foreplay, but no penetration ;-)

4 hours ago, supercidered said:

Thats what my missus keeps saying!

Its girth I tell her FFS, she just doesn't listen!!

Don't think it''s a  44" waist she wants though super. :)

6 hours ago, Chivs said:

Fully  agree  , wasn't these 2 our wing backs in the double winning season !?!

Is it just me or does anyone else think that Little can't kick the ball properly? I'm not being funny, but I can't remember a decent cross from him. I'm not knocking his effort as I believe he's trying really hard and has improved a lot recently, but he's just not up to scratch as a wing back. We've got a great big target in the middle now, and I know I may be over simplifying things but let's get some decent balls into the box and cause some mayhem. For that reason thanks for your efforts Mark, but I think an attacking full back has to be next on our shopping list...

31 minutes ago, BS3City said:

Is it just me or does anyone else think that Little can't kick the ball properly? I'm not being funny, but I can't remember a decent cross from him. I'm not knocking his effort as I believe he's trying really hard and has improved a lot recently, but he's just not up to scratch as a wing back. We've got a great big target in the middle now, and I know I may be over simplifying things but let's get some decent balls into the box and cause some mayhem. For that reason thanks for your efforts Mark, but I think an attacking full back has to be next on our shopping list...

Maybe you're not so far from hitting a nail on a head ... are there lessons to be learned regarding 'kicking a ball'?

Here is ....... A painful blast from the past soz ....

(what was Big Mal's ball kicking 'secret'? did it really exist?, has it gone to the grave with him? Do we know it?)

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-allison-puffs-hope-into-rovers-1563589.html  

Archived