IGNORED

The Official Nottingham Forest v Bristol City Match Day Thread

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

To add to Havanatopia's reference to literary Nottingham figures, remember that Alan Sillitoe in his work, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, gives City their only mention, as far as I am aware, in a literary work.  In the story City beat Notts County 2-1! Hopefully the score against Forest today.

Thanks for that Ivor... I missed that detail which is all the more interesting since i nearly watched the film last week... Will make a point of watching it now. 

Here is my poorly researched, badly spelt and utterly useless away day fans guide to Nottingham:

Getting there:

By car: Put a copy of the Wurzels 'rock around the A38' on your 8 Track in the car, leave Bristol, head north on the A38, keep going. Seriously, you just follow the A38 (North).

By train: Leave Bristol and head north by car. Drive to Loughborough and buy a ticket for the Great Central Railway (Nottingham) and enjoy a delightful 10 mile historical steam rail journery through the countryside. At the other end board a Taxi for your onward journey to the groud. Be advised that trains are currently not running and are not due to start heritage services again until half term.

Pre-match pint: For those of you who wish to have a pre-match drink, I can recommend the Pilchard Inn on Burgh Island a few miles outside Plymouth. It can be accessed at low tide via a sand causeway and then at high tide by a passenger carrying tractor - http://www.burghisland.com/dine-here/non-resident-dining/

The Ground:

Please read as this is important:

Arrive at the ground and take your seat then ask yourself the following questions:

1) Should there be more fans here at this time of day?

2) Are the seats mostly black with a spash of yellow here and there?

If the answer to both these questions is YES then you have accidently arrived at Notts County's ground and you are on the wrong side of the river. Head across the river and sit down in the right stadium.

However, Please now ask yourself the following questions:

1) Should there be more fans here at this time of day?

2) Is the pitch strangely far away, round and with a small tent in the middle?

If the answer to these questions is YES you have accidently arrived at Trent Bridge Cricket Ground and the Forrest ground is next door. Head there to enoy the game.

Once you have arrived at the ground the seats should be mostly red. Remember, Nottingham Forrest play in red therefore as for Fleetwood, make sure you are following the correct team and don't sing 'come on you reds'

Chants:

This chant should sting for Forrest fans:

All together now - "In a survey several years ago Nottingham was said to have more females than males so why are you all here watching this when you should be surrounded by lovely ladies at home enjoying yourselves?"

Gifts for a loved one:

In order to say thankyou to your partners, other halves, wives, husbands etc for allowing you to go on your football away day, it's always wise to bring a gift back to help make up for not being around. I would suggest buying some meat from the Ting farm on the outskirts of the city. The Ting farm gave the region it's name when, 1000 years ago, a Royal Carriage was heading north carrying some king or other for a dust up with the Scots. Looking for food on the journey a Royal Aid was tasked with buying some meat. He stopped and asked a local about the quality of pork from some pigs he could see in a nearby field when the local replied "It's ok but it's not Ting Ham". With that, the Royal aid sought out the Ting farm, purchased his Ham and the King was so happy, the area got the name Nottingham. I suggest you serve it with mustard or pickle.

For those going, please enjoy your day, stay safe and COYR's.

Edited by Midlands Robin
  • Like 5

Great OP from Hav. Was expecting some reference to tobacco, as both they and us have seen the demise of this industry over recent years. 

Think we will win today 2-1 or 3-1, however, we weren't great against them at home so will need everyone really on their game today. First goal is always important, today it's critical IMO; if we score first the home fans will turn even more which will negatively impact their players. Should we go one down then our self-belief and confidence will be severely tested.

So if you are lucky enough to be there today cheer us onto to an important three points.

Just now, Robin Ashton said:

No Gustav...

Yeah; odd one.

But can see the logic; with Tomlin, Pack and Brownhill on the bench looks like we've gone for more options to prop up the midfield if we get leggy, and that isn't a bad call.

Wilbs is that bit of experience, and I could see Tomlin deployed up top if we needed to keep the shape but replace a forward.

Just happy at that midfield, and the fact there are no changes apart from Tammy (which is a no brainier).

Hope Engvall is back next weekend and gets a crack at Burnley, even if off the bench.