IGNORED

Mark Ashton and Lee Johnson

Redland

2 minutes ago, Derek from Nailsea said:

MA & LJ are 2 peas from the same pod in that they talk extravagantly with no real substance.

e.g. Europa League within 5 years was quoted pre season.

LJ was always the Lansdown's choice which was flawed from the start as you'd always look at all the viable options.

MA is just a puppet albeit paid handsomely. 

Where was he from the glory days of early Sept until recently - nowhere to be seen.

He popped up though at Fleetwood in the away end- just crass PR when hardly anyone there to hold him to account.

MA so far has delivered his job brief.

Lee has not.

What else was MA going to say on LJ's appointment? "This guy won't work out" . Of course not.

If anyone has doubts about his ruthlessness then I'm afraid they are seriously underestimating MA.

The only person keeping Lee at the club tonight is SL.

1 minute ago, Charliesboots said:

MA so far has delivered his job brief.

Lee has not.

What else was MA going to say on LJ's appointment? "This guy won't work out" . Of course not.

If anyone has doubts about his ruthlessness then I'm afraid they are seriously underestimating MA.

The only person keeping Lee at the club tonight is SL.

What was MAs brief? 

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Let's be honest. It wasn't MA who appointed him. SL has had a friendship with LJ since his playing days and imo it was his appointment. SL has delivered on a amazing scale for our club but the bloke can't pick a manager and as with GJ was to loyal . 

That's it, SL is continuing the Johnson nepotism. SL should instead sort out the pies and the bogs and leave the football appointments to a proper director of football who isn't frightened of a proper manager.

Remind me to kick myself up the arse (again) for being stuck loving a Club that's now a cosy, amateurish, wealthy owner's plaything.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I can't actually believe that anyone believed that we ever went through any 'due process' at all

Does anyone really believe we sifted through reams of candidates , did 'due process' on the best and at the end of this exhaustive process the top candidate just happened to be ...... John & Steves big buddy ....... Lee Johnson

Spoooooky

Mark Ashton having just secured a new , high powered, well paid role was never going to say much else.

His problem now is , having spouted so much praise on Lee and how lucky we are to have him, his reputation also takes a major blow with this shambles 

Didn't someone on here say that LJ would be the next manager/coach, the year before?

2 minutes ago, Charliesboots said:

1:12 onwards.

At best he's done pretty poorly then, from a performance perspective. The future may look better, but nothing tangible yet. 

The Academy promises very little still, albeit its always been crap. 

1 hour ago, EnclosureSurge said:

There are a lot of people needing to look at themselves at the moment: the manager said the same about some of the players. Expect sales of mirrors to rocket.

The manager spent millions on those players. 4 of them been here a couple of weeks. The one constant is the manager. 

6 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

At best he's done pretty poorly then, from a performance perspective. The future may look better, but nothing tangible yet. 

The Academy promises very little still, albeit its always been crap. 

Disagreements are healthy CR, as far as I can see he's doing his job.

On the "Head Coach" matter? Well that for me is one in which I believe that he wants to act but cannot. 

2 hours ago, Redland said:

A year ago when Steve C was sacked I was disappointed following the previous seasons promotion and "double" but I could understand the board's decision in light of our league position.

Mark Ashton then said we would be "surprised" at the number and quality of applicants for the job. In light of this I was expecting someone with proven Championship/Premier League experience such as Nigel Pearson or similar.

We then appointed ........ Lee Johnson. A manager with no Championship or Premiership experience who had had a mixed time at Oldham and  Barnsley.

Mark Ashton said LJ was the "stand out" candidate whom he had no hesitation in recommending to the board. This raises two questions:-

1) Either we were misled on the quality of the other candidates, or

2) Mark Ashton was guilty of a serious misjudgement.

Answers on a post card please.

He said he was surprised about the number and quality. Maybe there was only one shit applicant??

6 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Let's be honest. It wasn't MA who appointed him. SL has had a friendship with LJ since his playing days and imo it was his appointment. SL has delivered on a amazing scale for our club but the bloke can't pick a manager and as with GJ was to loyal . 

Agreed, but I've seen a number of posts on here saying LJ is a long time friend of JL - similar age.

If that's the case it's possible LJ was always earmarked as a future long term City manager partly with the aim he'd be in situ at a time when SL perhaps gradually passes on the City baton to JL.

Such a plan, if it ever existed, might even have worked out very well, but only in the far future if LJ had ever proved himself to be anything like worthy of managing City at Championship level inbetween.

A year ago when Steve C was sacked I was disappointed following the previous seasons promotion and "double" but I could understand the board's decision in light of our league position.

Mark Ashton then said we would be "surprised" at the number and quality of applicants for the job. In light of this I was expecting someone with proven Championship/Premier League experience such as Nigel Pearson or similar.

We then appointed ........ Lee Johnson. A manager with no Championship or Premiership experience who had had a mixed time at Oldham and  Barnsley.

Mark Ashton said LJ was the "stand out" candidate whom he had no hesitation in recommending to the board. This raises two questions:-

Answer- Mark Ashton is full of Sh1t!

2 minutes ago, Charliesboots said:

Disagreements are healthy CR, as far as I can see he's doing his job.

On the "Head Coach" matter? Well that for me is one in which I believe that he wants to act but cannot. 

Seems that way. A sugar daddy operating above a board rarely works. 

Not sure if this is fact but read on here that LJ was the only person to be interviewed??-im hoping this is bullshit.

Just now, Full nelson said:

I wouldn't trust Mark Ashton as far as I could throw him!!

Jobs for the boys come to mind. 

Strangely. I don't see him as an advocate of that. I reckon he is more objective. His hands do seem tied on the big decision. 

He just won't say so. 

I've no issue at all with the fact the appointment hasn't worked out. Employing people is always a mixture of luck and judgement and you can easily make a decision that doesn't pan out in hindsight. I can understand the board's rationale on appointing LJ and Pearson, who everyone wanted, had a nightmare at Derby. Meanwhile look at Reading. We all raised eyebrows at Jaap Stam but he has done superbly. The simple fact is that, at League One and Championship level, the vast majority of managerial appointments ultimately end in failure and I don't really believe that our board's record is that much worse than most other clubs on that score.

However, whilst I can understand an appointment not working, it is vital the board acknowledge it has not worked and rectify the situation. Now is the time to act.

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

3) He was told who would emerge as the No 1 Candidate and spouted the Company line

This all day long. Dont blame MA mate. The poor bloke was given the horrible task of spinning this completely ridiculous appointment to the fans. IT WAS SL WHO WANTED LJ ALL DAY LONG. i feel sorry for MA i really do.

1 minute ago, milo1111 said:

This all day long. Dont blame MA mate. The poor bloke was given the horrible task of spinning this completely ridiculous appointment to the fans. IT WAS SL WHO WANTED LJ ALL DAY LONG. i feel sorry for MA i really do.

Don't feel sorry milo

He towed the party line when he weighed up the alternative of forsaking a hefty annual salary

His choice

Many would do the same

But he's now labelled to a great degree with LJ , or at least the b*******t surrounding, and following LJs appointment

Archived