IGNORED

Mark Ashton and Lee Johnson

Redland

A year ago when Steve C was sacked I was disappointed following the previous seasons promotion and "double" but I could understand the board's decision in light of our league position.

Mark Ashton then said we would be "surprised" at the number and quality of applicants for the job. In light of this I was expecting someone with proven Championship/Premier League experience such as Nigel Pearson or similar.

We then appointed ........ Lee Johnson. A manager with no Championship or Premiership experience who had had a mixed time at Oldham and  Barnsley.

Mark Ashton said LJ was the "stand out" candidate whom he had no hesitation in recommending to the board. This raises two questions:-

1) Either we were misled on the quality of the other candidates, or

2) Mark Ashton was guilty of a serious misjudgement.

Answers on a post card please.

1 minute ago, Redland said:

A year ago when Steve C was sacked I was disappointed following the previous seasons promotion and "double" but I could understand the board's decision in light of our league position.

Mark Ashton then said we would be "surprised" at the number and quality of applicants for the job. In light of this I was expecting someone with proven Championship/Premier League experience such as Nigel Pearson or similar.

We then appointed ........ Lee Johnson. A manager with no Championship or Premiership experience who had had a mixed time at Oldham and  Barnsley.

Mark Ashton said LJ was the "stand out" candidate whom he had no hesitation in recommending to the board. This raises two questions:-

Probably both.

2 minutes ago, Redland said:

3) He was told who would emerge as the No 1 Candidate and spouted the Company line

3 minutes ago, Redland said:

Let's be honest. It wasn't MA who appointed him. SL has had a friendship with LJ since his playing days and imo it was his appointment. SL has delivered on a amazing scale for our club but the bloke can't pick a manager and as with GJ was to loyal . 

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Let's be honest. It wasn't MA who appointed him. SL has had a friendship with LJ since his playing days and imo it was his appointment. SL has delivered on a amazing scale for our club but the bloke can't pick a manager and as with GJ was to loyal . 

In that case why did MA go on record as saying that LJ was the standout candidate and that he had recommended him to the board?

3 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

TBF, LJ has had some innovative ideas, such as using a drone to film training. It's just these ideas they haven't proven very effective. I suspect MA and SL put too much weight on innovation and not enough on experience when selecting LJ.

We can all read the Internet and copy new ideas. 

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

He was the standout candidate because he is the only manager that was interviewed

Bingo.  I've said this before: his appointment was a stitch up.

In no other work place would you not interview other candidates for a position.  You have a duty of responsibility to shareholders, board members, customers etc.  You do due diligence.  That did not happen with Johnson and I find it ******* disgusting. 

There is nothing in his previous managerial record that marked him out as the man to take us forwards.  He is a run of the mill, mid table division one manager.  He should stick to whats he's good at: buying/selling property.  Clarke at the sags has achieved more than Johnson in his managerial career.  His appointment is a blatant case of cronyism.  MA/SL et al., should hang their heads in shame.

19 minutes ago, Redland said:

Mark Ashton needs to look at himself for recommending a new contract to the board when we were already on a poor run 

19 minutes ago, Redland said:

For whatever reason, the club seems opposed to appointing a manager with experience and a sucessful track record at this level or above. It may be that we are unable to attract that calibre of manager. Coppell took one look and hopped it. 

An exeperienced hand is required to compete at this level. That will mean that it cannot be a 'yes man'. Despite MA 's claims to the contrary I would argue that the club is perceived from the outside to be not an attractive option for many. Sadly.

I can't actually believe that anyone believed that we ever went through any 'due process' at all

Does anyone really believe we sifted through reams of candidates , did 'due process' on the best and at the end of this exhaustive process the top candidate just happened to be ...... John & Steves big buddy ....... Lee Johnson

Spoooooky

Mark Ashton having just secured a new , high powered, well paid role was never going to say much else.

His problem now is , having spouted so much praise on Lee and how lucky we are to have him, his reputation also takes a major blow with this shambles 

7 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Bingo.  I've said this before: his appointment was a stitch up.

In no other work place would you not interview other candidates for a position.  You have a duty of responsibility to shareholders, board members, customers etc.  You do due diligence.  That did not happen with Johnson and I find it ******* disgusting. 

There is nothing in his previous managerial record that marked him out as the man to take us forwards.  He is a run of the mill, mid table division one manager.  He should stick to whats he's good at: buying/selling property.  Clarke at the sags has achieved more than Johnson in his managerial career.  His appointment is a blatant case of cronyism.  MA/SL et al., should hang their heads in shame.

If Johnson was a case of cronyism then so was Cotterill before him, plus countless other appointments at clubs up and down the land. 

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I can't actually believe that anyone believed that we ever went through any 'due process' at all

Doesmnayone we sifted reams of candidates , did 'due process' on the best and at the end of this exhaustive process the top candidate just happened to be ...... John & Steves big buddy ....... Lee Johnson

Spoooooky

Mark Ashton having just secured a new , high powered, well paid role was never going to say much else.

His problem now is , having spouted so much praise on Lee and how lucky we are to have him, his reputation also takes a major blow with this shambles 

People in his position are paid to have good judgement. Now's the time to show it. 

35 minutes ago, Redland said:

Most old school managers want complete control and are not willing to be just one of a wider team as we require of a first team coach. Nor are they much bothered about the long term future given they are not likely to be around to see it.

11 minutes ago, Redland said:

In view of the  situation we are in I would be very interested to know who the quality candidates we rejected were. 

The ones who clearly wanted to be Managers and not Head Coach within a framework that had been constructed to be more continental and 'forward thinking'. The type of gaffers a lot of OTIB posters would want would possibly be less pliable and more 'old school' in their perceptions of the role of the football manager. ITK? not at all, just reading between the lines.

Just now, Andy Horsman said:

The ones who clearly wanted to be Managers and not Head Coach within a framework that had been constructed to be more continental and 'forward thinking'. The type of gaffers a lot of OTIB posters would want would possibly be less pliable and more 'old school' in their perceptions of the role of the football manager. ITK? not at all, just reading between the lines.

Ive got a headache now. 

32 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Mark Ashton needs to look at himself for recommending a new contract to the board when we were already on a poor run 

There are a lot of people needing to look at themselves at the moment: the manager said the same about some of the players. Expect sales of mirrors to rocket.

40 minutes ago, Andy Horsman said:

Yep, I said much the same above. Those who are desperate for a 'big name' are going to be disappointed.

MA & LJ are 2 peas from the same pod in that they talk extravagantly with no real substance.

e.g. Europa League within 5 years was quoted pre season.

LJ was always the Lansdown's choice which was flawed from the start as you'd always look at all the viable options.

MA is just a puppet albeit paid handsomely. 

Where was he from the glory days of early Sept until recently - nowhere to be seen.

Archived