IGNORED

LJ has destroyed everything SC built

Unan

5 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

It was well documented on here ( even from a players Dad) that the players were distraught when SC was sacked.  That doesn't sound like the unity and spirit had gone, not from the dressing room that's for certain.

I'm sure equally If LJ is sacked they will also be distraught. 

To me this group of players are playing for LJ, the same can't be said about that team in the final months. 

1 minute ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

And I've just read the reports Es but if clubs turn down the bids then how is it Lansdowns fault? How did he scupper those deals like some seem to think he did? And surely, just surely Cotterill had a list of alternatives

I seem to recall we had a guy called Burt for the list of alternatives.

9 hours ago, Slippin cider said:

I agree, when SC went it was the right time but 'let's look forward' ....to what exactly? ...league 1? ...no thanks! ...if something isn't done very soon to address this terrible situation then that's where we'll end up. :grr:

To getting a new manager or head coach or whatever they call it now 

8 hours ago, NickJ said:

Mate I know you don't like him but that s not true. The players were loyal to the end and the board shafted him.

I'm not sure if your trying to wind people up with this?

He wasn't shafted at all - he was too stubborn and that's why he got the boot 

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I disagree Kim....he wanted to only bring in better players, not pad the squad out.  We've brought too many in under LJ.  There was the basis of a decent squad, albeit small, here.

Lets take Greg - 2nd choice to Bryan (whether rightly or wrongly)....wants to play.  At least Cotts was honest with him.

JET - out of contract, wouldnt play unless injuries.

Cotts saved this club loads of money by utilising his resources in a match day squad, rather than paying out fees and wages to players not going to get in his 18 (17, 16 :P).

Yeah, might've got Cox wrong, Robinson was a youth loan.  Baker, Bennett were good.  Moore, unfortunately injured.

11 hours ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

What about Fredericks?

.....and El Abd???

7 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I'm sure equally If LJ is sacked they will also be distraught. 

To me this group of players are playing for LJ, the same can't be said about that team in the final months. 

Really? 

Wow.

9 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

This is a "strength" that Bobby Robson had and showed at Italia 90, when he listened to the players and made changes. He was secure enough in himself to do this. Cotts always struck me as being insecure, despite outward appearances. 

Agree with that. A good manager should not be afraid of getting feedback from his staff and should listen to their concerns and change things if necessary after having a mature conversation about it. 

9 hours ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

But the players he tried to buy were clearly right. 

Kodjia 

Grey

Gayle

All 3 have/would have been exceptional. 

Costa and Aguilera would have been good too, but you have to get realistic and move on to other targets.

Apart from Kodj,  he left us playing in the Championship with a L1 team. A small L1 team at that.

In the promotion season we were very lucky with injuries. That wasn't ever likely to be the case for two seasons.

Unlike some, I have nothing against Cotts as a person, but he paid the ultimate price for that disastrous summer.

13 hours ago, NickJ said:

Egos and distrust and feeling threatened at board level mate. SC is not one of them. He's the Brian Clough that threatens the authority of his owners. A poor mans Brian Clough if you like, but nevertheless he knew exactly what he was doing. He's not a political animal, some people like him just cannot be bothered to pander to that crap. Successful people would have hated the fact that he knew better. Would have hated the brashness, the arrogance, the self belief that he knew better than they did.

Trust me. "They" ****** up.

Football has a very different landscape now compared to the one that Clough thrived in.

The Warnock's,  Cotterill's,  Redknapp's of the world are a dying breed.

A football manager's job today is incredibly complicated and to an extent I suppose you do have to understand political dynamics.

Bottom line is though if you continue to piss your paymaster off whilst also not delivering results and seemingly not having a clue how to get results then it's a recipe for the sack.

16 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

SC destroyed everything SC built.

yes he became his own worst enemy in the end, I'm amazed what short memories some people have, but nothing will take away my great memories of the year when for once almost everything went right

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Football has a very different landscape now compared to the one that Clough thrived in.

The Warnock's,  Cotterill's,  Redknapp's of the world are a dying breed.

A football manager's job today is incredibly complicated and to an extent I suppose you do have to understand political dynamics.

Bottom line is though if you continue to piss your paymaster off whilst also not delivering results and seemingly not having a clue how to get results then it's a recipe for the sack.

Cause and effect Will.

SC had the rug pulled from under him, hence the disastrous start to 2015/16.

Given what happened in that summer, SC cannot be blamed.

Reference my post number 25 on this very thread.

Cotterill didn't have a clue how to take the club to the next level or how to work in a modern Championship transfer window.

But he completely changed the direction of our club in 12 months and (unpopular opinion incoming) I would take him back til the end of the season to give the players the kick up the arse they need.

Inspiration and short term success is one thing he proved spectacularly.

52 minutes ago, Robin 101 said:

Cotterill didn't have a clue how to take the club to the next level or how to work in a modern Championship transfer window.

But he completely changed the direction of our club in 12 months and (unpopular opinion incoming) I would take him back til the end of the season to give the players the kick up the arse they need.

:laugh: 

1 hour ago, Robin 101 said:

Didn't happen in his first spell did it?! At the beginning and right upto the Sheffield United game it was dreadful so inspiration and short term success I think not.

20 hours ago, NickJ said:

You really think somebody as successful as SC was for us, on a roll, with a tightly knit group of players who thought very highly of him, and had total respect for him, lost his mojo for no reason? In a normal job situation he would probably have had an employment tribunal case for constructive dismissal. And no that is not an exaggeration.

Yes it is, a huge exaggeration in fact. 

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

Cause and effect Will.

SC had the rug pulled from under him, hence the disastrous start to 2015/16.

Given what happened in that summer, SC cannot be blamed.

Reference my post number 25 on this very thread.

Blamed for what? Results? yes he can... 

22 hours ago, BA14 RED said:

Yes he has. Cotterill rightly sacked at the time however we had the basis of a decent squad at the time, all that needed was a little tweaking and now look - LJ has broken that all up.

Wagstaff, Ayling and even Williams are all good enough for City and LJ Just sacks them off. SC lost the plot but the players were good enough as proven when we stayed up in style.

There is no way Wagstaff is good enough for the Championship.

4 hours ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Yes it is, a huge exaggeration in fact. 

I'm fairly confident I know more about employee legislation than you and so sorry, yes, if SC was on a normal employment contract and the promises and tools - joke in there for you - to do his job had been taken away as they were with no compensation, yes he would have had a case for constructive dismissal.

Archived