IGNORED

LJ has destroyed everything SC built

Unan

10 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

SC couldn't  change a team formation if his life depended on it.  Have you forgotten why pemberton made an instant impact? 

The formation wasn't the problem, did you forget the season before?

The problem was the board completely abandoned him and left him out to dry. He grew tired of this and was admittedly too stubborn at times when not fielding youngsters, but it was to get a point across. Before the summer of 13/14 SC would praise the board constantly. They completely screwed him over - the man that had won us two trophies and got us 99 points the season beforehand.

5 minutes ago, NickJ said:

You really think somebody as successful as SC was for us, on a roll, with a tightly knit group of players who thought very highly of him, and had total respect for him, lost his mojo for no reason? In a normal job situation he would probably have had an employment tribunal case for constructive dismissal. And no that is not an exaggeration.

I'm afraid it is.

As much as I love the bloke and wish it would have gone right for him, he left at the right time and in generous circumstances.

Anywhere else and the outcome may have been very different. 

3 minutes ago, Kim_il_sung said:

Well off the mark imho. It was Cotterill himself plus the board that destroyed everything we'd built in our title season with that awful summer. One permanant signing, the likes or JET and Cunningham let go with no real replacement and utterly pointless loan signings like Robinson and Cox.

The damage had already been done by the time LJ came in. We were being ripped to shreds and would often be dead and buried in a game by half time. Things were just as shambolic, poisonous and hopeless as they are now. Appointing Johnson has just seen things go from already very bad to even worse. I do however believe our squad now is much stronger than it was 12 months ago so theres that.

I disagree Kim....he wanted to only bring in better players, not pad the squad out.  We've brought too many in under LJ.  There was the basis of a decent squad, albeit small, here.

Lets take Greg - 2nd choice to Bryan (whether rightly or wrongly)....wants to play.  At least Cotts was honest with him.

JET - out of contract, wouldnt play unless injuries.

Cotts saved this club loads of money by utilising his resources in a match day squad, rather than paying out fees and wages to players not going to get in his 18 (17, 16 :P).

Yeah, might've got Cox wrong, Robinson was a youth loan.  Baker, Bennett were good.  Moore, unfortunately injured.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I disagree Kim....he wanted to only bring in better players, not pad the squad out.  We've brought too many in under LJ.  There was the basis of a decent squad, albeit small, here.

Lets take Greg - 2nd choice to Bryan (whether rightly or wrongly)....wants to play.  At least Cotts was honest with him.

Cotts saved this club loads of money by utilising his resources in a match day squad, rather than paying out fees and wages to players not going to get in his 18 (17, 16 :P).

Yeah, might've got Cox wrong, Robinson was a youth loan.  Baker, Bennett were good.  Moore, unfortunately injured.

What about Fredericks?

48 minutes ago, Griffin said:

This is not a defend SC post, it's just disgusting how what we had is completely gone. A great rebuild of random players that clearly aren't singing from the same sheet and don't look like they even know each other. 

We had a unit, a year of success, team spirit & club bonding gave us great foundations to push on in the Championship. Obviously, we know how that went, but in recent months all signs of the 'team' we once had is gone. I know we needed improvements, like every team, but it's just not been done right. That's what hurts the most for me, we aren't a tight group anymore & I can't see how we recover from it with LJ at the helm.

Who hired LJ ? Who ultimately takes responsability ?

Just now, Emperor Palpatine said:

What about Fredericks?

Dunno, had a punch up didn't he?  Been a regular at Fulham, so the right player to play RWB.

I don't mention every player.  I'll call you and raise you Kodjia:P.

i'm biased, I loved Cotts....rightly or wrongly.  Happy if you think that clouds my judgement.

You'll have read my posts, I've been hugely supportive of LJ.

No manager is perfect. 

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:
4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Who hired LJ ? Who ultimately takes responsability ?

Good question.  Mark Ashton is the answer.

Yet, Ashton seems to have made a huge difference in the running of the club and getting the signings in.

Ain't easy this, is it!

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Dunno, had a punch up didn't he?  Been a regular at Fulham, so the right player to play RWB.

I don't mention every player.  I'll call you and raise you Kodjia:P.

i'm biased, I loved Cotts....rightly or wrongly.  Happy if you think that clouds my judgement.

You'll have read my posts, I've been hugely supportive of LJ.

No manager is perfect. 

I respect your posts sir :)

Just a reminder that when Cotts was sacked - a year ago last week - we were 2 places below where we are now, he'd not been able to recruit anyone during the summer as he'd obsessed on players who were not willing to come here, we were trying to survive with the smallest squad in the Championship, playing the same formation every single match - making us the easiest team to suss out for all our opponents.

In the rush to call for LJ's sacking, we mustn't make Cotterill's time in the Championship out to be some sort of golden age. It was dire. He had the skills and drive to blast us out of L1 but grew complacent and f-d up royally at this level. Talk of his "legacy" is laughable. Johnson would have taken over a L1 side if Cotts hadn't gone when he did.

It's right that the Johnson experiment is ended now, but he's hardly shattered some team of galacticos!

Just now, cityboy99 said:

Sorry but i still believe if SC was given the backing like LJ has had we would be in the play offs right about now. What was SC given in the summer after winning league 1. What 3mill!!!! LJ has had 3/4 times more than that and were no better off.

He put offers in of 7m and 9m but the players didn't want to come here. The reality is, Cotterill thought the players he had would be good enoug, but he was wrong.

1 minute ago, cityboy99 said:

Sorry but i still believe if SC was given the backing like LJ has had we would be in the play offs right about now. What was SC given in the summer after winning league 1. What 3mill!!!! LJ has had 3/4 times more than that and were no better off.

And what a player he did bring in. I know Kodjia was especially thankful to SC for helping him progress as a player.

Just imagine if we could have got the Gray deal over the line too. What could have been. :(

2 minutes ago, cityboy99 said:

Pemberton turned SCs turd into a silk purse. 

Painful when your deputy is better than you are. 

3 minutes ago, cityboy99 said:

You can believe that all you like. Unfortunately the evidence points the other way.

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

He put offers in of 7m and 9m but the players didn't want to come here. The reality is, Cotterill thought the players he had would be good enoug, but he was wrong.

Ok he had backing of the transfer fee but we all know players of that value ain't gonna come with the wages cap we offer. Now i'm not saying we should offer players over the top wages again and put ourselves in trouble again. But if we offered just a couple players the money they wanted.. Rumour has it that Dwight Gayle would of come but we offered 3k short a week of his asking price. Now whats 3k a week for a player of his quality.

1 minute ago, cityboy99 said:

Ok he had backing of the transfer fee but we all know players of that value ain't gonna come with the wages cap we offer. Now i'm not saying we should offer players over the top wages again and put ourselves in trouble again. But if we offered just a couple players the money they wanted.. Rumour has it that Dwight Gayle would of come but we offered 3k short a week of his asking price. Now whats 3k a week for a player of his quality.

Dwight Gayle said he never at any point wanted to come here. 

48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I agree too many in. He had his talisman. Most of us expected to build a team around Tomlin why would we pay all that if were not going to do that. I'm afraid. LJ didn't have the experience or skill to play and manage a bloke like this. GJ point blank refused to. In GJ Speak Tomlin is a luxury player and LJ is almost saying the same. 

34 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Just a reminder that when Cotts was sacked - a year ago last week - we were 2 places below where we are now, he'd not been able to recruit anyone during the summer as he'd obsessed on players who were not willing to come here, we were trying to survive with the smallest squad in the Championship, playing the same formation every single match - making us the easiest team to suss out for all our opponents.

In the rush to call for LJ's sacking, we mustn't make Cotterill's time in the Championship out to be some sort of golden age. It was dire. He had the skills and drive to blast us out of L1 but grew complacent and f-d up royally at this level. Talk of his "legacy" is laughable. Johnson would have taken over a L1 side if Cotts hadn't gone when he did.

It's right that the Johnson experiment is ended now, but he's hardly shattered some team of galacticos!

Thanks for reminding certain people seemed to be required 

11 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:
15 minutes ago, cityboy99 said:

Dwight Gayle said he never at any point wanted to come here. 

Gayle (or Gray) ... £150k per year EXTRA is extortion, regardless of 'going rate' elsewhere... had a guts full of overpaid f'ing mercenaries in the game ... f cu k  'em  !

Archived