IGNORED

Lansdown no fool...

Poshtottie

To get where Steve Lansdown is today its fair and reasonable to suggest he is a shrewd operator. Lets not forget in 2010 he agreed it was best for Gary Johnson to move on and most recently Steve Cotterill. Lansdown will do what is best for the club and firstly this is the financial aspect. He will be acutely aware regarding the consequences of relegation and the impact this has on the immediate purse strings and the effect on stalling the long term plan. Whether Lansdown has genuine commitment to try and take us to the premiership I can not say. What I do understand though if we are to operate as a selling club like others have done so successfully over the years for instance with the kodjia deal, then realistically these sort of numbers can only be achieved out of Championship or Premiership football and not from league one. I really would like to know if he does have the seeds of doubt, I believe he will have options all the same as business is business.

2 minutes ago, Poshtottie said:

To get where Steve Lansdown is today its fair and reasonable to suggest he is a shrewd operator. Lets not forget in 2010 he agreed it was best for Gary Johnson to move on and most recently Steve Cotterill. Lansdown will do what is best for the club and firstly this is the financial aspect. He will be acutely aware regarding the consequences of relegation and the impact this has on the immediate purse strings and the effect on stalling the long term plan. Whether Lansdown has genuine commitment to try and take us to the premiership I can not say. What I do understand though if we are to operate as a selling club like others have done so successfully over the years for instance with  the kodjia deal, then realistically these sort of numbers can only be achieved out of Championship or premiership and not from league one. I really would like to know if he does have the seeds of doubt, I believe he will have options all the same as business is business.

Hopefully the seeds of doubt have grown into gurt trees.

6 minutes ago, Poshtottie said:

To get where Steve Lansdown is today its fair and reasonable to suggest he is a shrewd operator. Lets not forget in 2010 he agreed it was best for Gary Johnson to move on and most recently Steve Cotterill. Lansdown will do what is best for the club and firstly this is the financial aspect. He will be acutely aware regarding the consequences of relegation and the impact this has on the immediate purse strings and the effect on stalling the long term plan. Whether Lansdown has genuine commitment to try and take us to the premiership I can not say. What I do understand though if we are to operate as a selling club like others have done so successfully over the years for instance with  the kodjia deal, then realistically these sort of numbers can only be achieved out of Championship or premiership and not from league one. I really would like to know if he does have the seeds of doubt, I believe he will have options all the same as business is business.

Not sure what you are actually saying here :blink:

SL may be a very nice man who has backed the club with hard, substantial money of his own making

But to suggest he is wise in football terms is IMHO not right

He might be getting wiser but continues to make major errors of judgement in running a successful football club

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

SL may be a very nice man who has backed the club with hard, substantial money of his own making

He might be getting wiser but continues to make major errors of judgement in running a successful football club

Is a reasonably fair judgement. A great businessman. An evidently poor businessman when you limit things to his footballing track record. 

14 minutes ago, Poshtottie said:

To get where Steve Lansdown is today its fair and reasonable to suggest he is a shrewd operator. Lets not forget in 2010 he agreed it was best for Gary Johnson to move on and most recently Steve Cotterill. Lansdown will do what is best for the club and firstly this is the financial aspect. He will be acutely aware regarding the consequences of relegation and the impact this has on the immediate purse strings and the effect on stalling the long term plan. Whether Lansdown has genuine commitment to try and take us to the premiership I can not say. What I do understand though if we are to operate as a selling club like others have done so successfully over the years for instance with the kodjia deal, then realistically these sort of numbers can only be achieved out of Championship or Premiership football and not from league one. I really would like to know if he does have the seeds of doubt, I believe he will have options all the same as business is business.

So how does a shrewd operator give a manager who  is clearly out of his depth another year on his contract when he is in the middle of the worst run of defeats in the clubs history. Also let the bloke sign 4 new players when he doesn't know what to do with the ones he has. Also this shrewd operator gave us Millen, Tinnion, McInnes, SOD. He might be a shrewd operator in the business world but in the football world he certainly is not.

14 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think we generally sing from the same hymn sheet BobBob but although SL has the final say there is a board (and lately a CEO) who make the recommendations to him. SL might sign off the appointments but are they really 'hos' choices?

6 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Think we generally sing from the same hymn sheet BobBob but although SL has the final say there is a board (and lately a CEO) who make the recommendations to him. SL might sign off the appointments but are they really 'hos' choices?

Lee absolutely was one Nomad (IMO)

On other numerous matters , you either make good decisions yourself or you employ the right people to give you good advice

IMHO SL  has got it wrong regularly in both respects historically

I do think he has woken up to the requirement of good staff in all posts throughout the club and we are in a better place than we ever have been but LJs appointment suggests he still has a habit of making his own decisions regardless of any advice

Trying to  make this an observation rather than criticism of SL ( Errors or not thank *** we aren't own d by a Thai businessman , or similar)

23 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Is a reasonably fair judgement. A great businessman. An evidently poor businessman when you limit things to his footballing track record. 

That's the point I think. Being an expert in one field doesn't make you an expert in another.

53 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Indeed.

Its only been in the last 3 or 4 years that SL has apparently realised that his business acumen doesn't work that well in the football industry.

He appointed Keith Burt and then Mark Ashton which were a sign (to me anyway) that he'd realised he needed men with football business experience.

However he still seems prone to making errors. Handing out an improved contract to LJ is the most recent one. That said should he dispose of LJs services it would be him to either pay him off or continue to pay LJ until he finds another managers job.

i think it was SL who told Ashton to recruit LJ. He must have been impressed with LJs talent particularly with dealing with the media and his ability to "talk the talk". 

I always been impressed with LJ interviews pre and post match. He's very straight, says it as it is and explains some of his decisions. That's very unusual with managers and almost certainly why I haven't joined in with slagging him off. I'd really like him to turn things around but.....he does seem to be running out of time.

Will SL act?   Not yet is my view.

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Try reading my thread in which I post SL's own words as quoted by the Post last May on the appointment of LJ. Not my opinion, or hearsay; SL's own words.

2 hours ago, Redandy said:

So how does a shrewd operator give a manager who  is clearly out of his depth another year on his contract when he is in the middle of the worst run of defeats in the clubs history. Also let the bloke sign 4 new players when he doesn't know what to do with the ones he has. Also this shrewd operator gave us Millen, Tinnion, McInnes, SOD. He might be a shrewd operator in the business world but in the football world he certainly is not.

I cant help but think the contract was the classic show of support from the board, this was to boost Lee or to show the dressing room who is boss and if its not either of those two then its is genuinely because they think Lee Johnson is the future of BCFC which here today is a worrying prospect ;-)

31 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Try reading my thread in which I post SL's own words as quoted by the Post last May on the appointment of LJ. Not my opinion, or hearsay; SL's own words.

I've read it and stand corrected. Really thought he had put people in place to advise him. Sure, the final choice will always be his but giving LJ the job because he and KD had kept in touch with him in a little bizarre. That said I'm pretty sure that LJ did dazzle in his interview.

3 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Hopefully the seeds of doubt have grown into gurt trees.

Problem being even if they have grown into trees with the fixtures lined up for Feb I am sure any manager who cares about his own record would be slightly concerned taking over City now unless of course they had total belief in the players.

5 minutes ago, Poshtottie said:

Problem being even if they have grown into trees with the fixtures lined up for Feb I am sure any manager who cares about his own record would be slightly concerned taking over City now unless of course they had total belief in the players.

The other problem is the players don't seem to have any belief in themselves under LJ.

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Lee absolutely was one Nomad (IMO)

On other numerous matters , you either make good decisions yourself or you employ the right people to give you good advice

IMHO SL  has got it wrong regularly in both respects historically

I do think he has woken up to the requirement of good staff in all posts throughout the club and we are in a better place than we ever have been but LJs appointment suggests he still has a habit of making his own decisions regardless of any advice

Trying to  make this an observation rather than criticism of SL ( Errors or not thank *** we aren't own d by a Thai businessman , or similar)

I think the gamble on LJ was understandable but now he should cash in his chips before he loses everything.

Archived