IGNORED

Bobby Reid - please help

Agard Days Night

10 minutes ago, cynic said:

He gets himself into the forward positions he should be getting into tbf, and does it often, but fluffs the chance 9 times out of 10 with panic finishes. Defensively, he's a bit of a liability though and thats why he's sidelined at the moment. 

After all these defeats (which he was part of) its time to be a bit more pragmatic in games, a bit more solid, and he's paying the price for that imo.

But before recently we didn't need to be much tighter. Many goals from set pieces and crosses which has nothing to do with him. Plus he's athletic enough to make up for mistake be it his or others. And not like setting up more solid has been working either. As for the chances he's missed, that only gets better by being in that situation more and more. If he'd have kept playing he'd have been up around the 10 goal mark in the league which is why you hear LJ compare to Alli. Obviously he'll never be that good but he can be a mini championship version. And if we want to be a possession team then surely having the ball 60% of the game means bobby doesn't have to defend as much even though I'm not convinced he's as bad a defender as some think. 

Another one LJ has completely wrong. What's next? Hegeler on the bench because he's too tall to compete with the smaller opposition players and doesn't give the ball away enough? Wright dropped for favouring his favourite right foot too much and not staying in our box enough?

2 minutes ago, cynic said:

Thats pure conjecture and, imo, his finishing is so poor that I can't see him doing that.

Its all very well having lots of possession but if we can't finish, and let in sloppy goals its useless.

These new players should make us a bit more solid once they've bedded in and that will give a platform for players like Reid to get another chance - LJ certainly likes the player so its not as if his career is finished here.

It's not pure conjecture though. He was on pace for about that many before he was dropped for no reason. That's with the misses. Plus outside of Tammy we are a team filled with poor finishers but they et the pass because you only see them miss good chances 1 in 3 or 4 games. Example, if it had been Reid to miss that chance against Reading he'd have been slated but it wasn't Korey Smith. Again, you get better the more you're in that situation. It's why loans are so sought out. 

We can still be solid with Bobby in the side. We were solid with Bobby in the side. We had more chances with Bobby in the side. Lee Tomlin is better with Bobby in the team. Bobby kept the team ticking and we've been missing it since. The only time I've seen the same energy from anyone else in that spot has been from Joe Bryan. Everyone else just stand next to each other and pass 5 yards to each other and the centre halves asking for the pressure. Bobby relieves that pressure when he's on the pitch. I'd really like to see us with Bobby partnering Hegeler with Tomlin behind the strikers in the new formation. 

1 minute ago, cynic said:

This will inevitably turn into yet another LJ bashing thread..

I don't think so, Reid is undoubtedly a great talent but sadly with him, Tomlin, Bryan, Pack, Smith and Brownhill at the moment, they have all been guilty of simple misplaced sloppy passes, trying to play football or be too clever in areas that they shouldn't especially in our present predicament and even more especially going into the final quarter of a game where we are hanging on to a result and probably the only reason Bryan hasn't been dropped more is I don't think LJ rates Golbourne.

2 minutes ago, cynic said:

Couldn't disagree more and I really can't be arsed to have a drawn out debate on Bobby Reid, it (he) really isn't worth it imo.

Suffice to say that I think we are a stronger team with him not in it and you don't.

Guess we agree to disagree though I don't think 3rd leading scorer as a sporadic midfield player isn't worth it though. 

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I agree with this but he has to be more disciplined especially at the moment but as my last post says I don't think he is on his own in that regard.

Can't argue that. Bobby definitely isn't a finished article but I never thought he played poorly enough to be dropped in the first place. Done now though and hope he gets another chance soon. Also be higher on our scoring chart if Tomlin wasn't on penalties. 

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Yet more evidence that sadly LJ has dropped his philosophy of pressing, attacking football which we saw last season and sporadically at the start of this one, in favour of defensively-minded dirge. He has lost belief in his own methods and as he is unable to see the wood for the trees he is floundering and failing in his job. For this reason alone he should have been relieved of his duties by SL.

6 minutes ago, cynic said:

You insisting that everything he says is right (in this case about Bobby Reid) doesn't mean that any other opinion automatically has to become LJ bashing! It's admirable that you see clear logic in everything LJ does, but insisting he's right and then pre-empting anyone who disagrees as LJ bashing is self-fulfilling. 

We've been no more solid a team since he dropped Bobby Reid but we've certainly had less ability on the ball going forward, in a team that was already very laboured. Our problem wasn't actually conceding goals (and in my opinion still isn't) - it was in dominating an opponent and setting the tempo for the game.

We threw away several leads due to sitting back, and what have we done - not tried to promote the good things that got us into an advantage, but decided to spend whole matches on the back foot (culminating in the passive mess at Forest). This view of Bobby merely confirms that it was a deliberate strategy too.

From his comments quoted in the EP about safe zone etc, I have a hunch why players might be confused. But I'll hold my hands up, that would be LJ bashing. I will simply say that this is yet another player he has publicly criticised in the media in a way I don't recall any City manager doing, and I don't like it one bit.

In business, no one else sees an employees performance appraisal. Not teammates, not the public. But they all do here. I find LJ's disregard for professional footballers egos and privacy of their one-to-one coaching, absolutely stunning. I am not surprised we are where we are. You can call that bashing if you want.

Just now, JoeAman08 said:

Can't argue that. Bobby definitely isn't a finished article but I never thought he played poorly enough to be dropped in the first place. Done now though and hope he gets another chance soon. Also be higher on our scoring chart if Tomlin wasn't on penalties. 

Sadly we are being punished for trying to play football when we should be seeing a game out, I asked earlier today when was the last time we took the ball into the corner to run the clock down?, not us we still try to play football coming out of defence and Reid, Tomlin, Bryan, Pack, Smith and Brownhill are all guilty in that respect, if LJ is telling them to cut it out and they continue to do it anyway and mistakes are made in dangerous areas he is going to sooner or later pull the plug.

People on here constantly blame our defence or our goalkeeper but when you see the bigger picture on goals that we concede I firmly believe most are because of midfield failings before the ball ever gets close to our defence or goalkeeper.

Take a look at the amount of games we have surrendered going into the last quarter and even a meagre 5 to 8 extra points from those games would put a far different outlook on the season so far.

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yet more evidence that sadly LJ has dropped his philosophy of pressing, attacking football which we saw last season and sporadically at the start of this one, in favour of defensively-minded dirge. He has lost belief in his own methods and as he is unable to see the wood for the trees

Nail firmly on head Will, but one minor correction - he hasn't lost sight of or belief in his philosophy, he purposely changed it. We haven't really been a pressing in the opposition-half team at all this season. We've been trying to play a certain (different) way consistently all season, since way before the results turned.

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yet more evidence that sadly LJ has dropped his philosophy of pressing, attacking football which we saw last season and sporadically at the start of this one, in favour of defensively-minded dirge. He has lost belief in his own methods and as he is unable to see the wood for the trees he is floundering and failing in his job. For this reason alone he should have been relieved of his duties by SL.

Well I have been saying for months that as a game progresses we tend to surrender the whole of the middle third of the pitch, I get fed up of seeing teams break down the middle and having to watch Pack, Smith and or Oneil running through treacle trying to catch up and failing totally.

6 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Well I have been saying for months that as a game progresses we tend to surrender the whole of the middle third of the pitch, I get fed up of seeing teams break down the middle and having to watch Pack, Smith and or Oneil running through treacle trying to catch up and failing totally.

No better example than Reading at home. Pressed a good 70 minutes as soon as they reached the halfway line. Then an injury and bringing on of another striker we stopped. Tammy and Wilbs made no effort to press their centre halves and the picked us apart as the back 8 dropped to the box. Was that tactical or was it the players feeling pressure? It was really a genius set up against a good side but then it stopped. 

Interestingly, Reid has been more successful when in a more defensive role. In 5 appearances thus, he has 2 goals his highest ratings (7.43 / 10). His weakness is his passing (statistically speaking: 77.8% and 12th best in Squad) but he is strong on KEY passes, through balls, dribbling, blocks and, importantly, tackling. Swings and roundabouts but what I like best is that he is lively and ups the pace. There's urgency and commitment. He's not afraid of anything out there. In? On balance, yes every time.

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don't think he's right. Been our best midfielder this season. When he started getting dropped is when we started losing more frequently. No surprise his best spell with us was when he was consistently playing. Probably the move that has baffled me most from LJ now he's using our form as an excuse as to why he's been kept out. He was a first teamer that was messed about with game time when people started getting fit(Korey GON) then played out of position then dropped. Now he's got to earn a spot back when it was given to others. :facepalm:

Dddddddd ddddddddd dddddd f lucking useless 

or

you don't know what you're doing

both songs apt for this situ, sad times.

Thing that stood out with me regarding LJ comments on why BR has been dropped is that he said he has passion, drive and determination and genuine quality but he does not do the defensive part so well.

surely players with drive, determination and passion are what we need right now?

the other comment about the defending to me rings true about current form. He's basically expecting everyone when out of possession to defend which is a big reason as to why we sit so deep and invite teams on to us.

as an attacking player, why are you wanting bobby to focus on defence? Isn't that why the likes of hegeler and wright et al were bought to deal with?

1 hour ago, cynic said:

Well obviously.  He selects the side and so people who think Bobby Reid should be in the side are going to make comments. It's what forums are for.  

Personally, I think the manager is wrong because he's treating him like a young player when in fact he's reasonably experienced.  

When is Bobby's contract up? 

Fact is bobby Reid splits opinion, I'm in the bobby should play more than sit on the bench. IMO he also makes lee Tomlin tick and we need a city team with lee Tomlin in it if we are going to move up the league. Bobby Reid playing with a fired a lee Tomlin can only be a good thing and as a fan I enjoy watching exciting attacking football and for me it's better watching bcfc with bobby in the team !! 

2 hours ago, cynic said:

Couldn't disagree more and I really can't be arsed to have a drawn out debate on Bobby Reid, it (he) really isn't worth it imo.

Suffice to say that I think we are a stronger team with him not in it and you don't.

Stronger at what Cynic, please?

A summary of our wins this season and Bobby´s role in them:

Wigan 2-1: Losing 1-0 when he came on, scores the winner.

Wycombe 1-0: Plays 90 minutes

Burton 2-1: A sub, we score winner after he comes on

Scunthorpe 2-1: Starts and scores

Villa 3-1: Plays 90 minutes

Fulham 2-1: Comes off the bench at 1-1, we score the winner

Fulham 4-0: Plays the whole game and scores

Leeds 1-0: Plays the whole game

Forest 2-1: Plays 82 minutes by which time the score is already 2-1

Blackburn 1-0: This must have been an utter fluke because he didnt play

Ipswich 2-0: Bobby comes on

So of our 11 wins Bobby has played a major if not starring role in 9 of them. Remarkable given how much chopping and changing he puts up with.

As for Johnsons quote...  "It doesn't mean that we've lost faith in those players particularly, it just means that we've picked a certain team to win a certain game"

With respect Lee, what the **** are you on about, we have barely won a game without Bobby!!

I haven't always been a huge fan of Bobby Reid, but credit where credit it due he has been one of the few who have wanted to drive the ball forward. He seems to link up well with Joe and they get the best out of each other, when Joe is allowed to attack that is. Bobby has been subbed on in a few games and we have been much more positive, as I said going forward rather than aimless passes and repeating the same moves over and over without success.

If we are to be without Freeman, can't see a way back for him now, and if Tomlin is placed on the bench then we need some positivity, it might as well be Bobby for at least 60 minutes.

10 hours ago, RedM said:

I haven't always been a huge fan of Bobby Reid, but credit where credit it due he has been one of the few who have wanted to drive the ball forward.

He is very forward thinking and willing to take a risk with a pass or a run. This is both his strength but in recent weeks also his downfall as the manager sought to bring more solidity to central areas. Will be good to see him back in the team once we turn the corner. He has always been well liked in Ciderworth Hall.

On 22/01/2017 at 13:41, Dynamite Red said:

It's Bobby's turn. He joins the infamous disappearance club of Brownhill, ROD, Matthews, O'Neil, Patterson, Tomlin, Moore, Little, Pack, Smith and Golbourne.

Suddenly he will find himself from out of the stands straight into the 1st team as our manager fails yet again to find a cohesive team.

Unpredictably predictable.

Archived