IGNORED

Impact of Tammy recall clause on any decision?

Olé

I think someone else on here suggested this a few weeks ago (so credit to them) and I didn't give it a second thought, but is it possible that Chelsea have a recall clause on Tammy if the manager goes? It would certainly be a very logical termination right for a contract that allowed a highly prized player to go out on loan with no general recall.

And in the circumstances (both LJ's claimed role in securing him, and the form and reputation Tammy has developed this season) you would have to imagine they would be only too quick to take him back and get him involved higher up the league or even at a Premiership side - they've shown themselves to be very ready to recall and re-loan.

So, if we see nothing this week, is it possible this is influencing our decision making? I can't think of any other major mitigating circumstances that could explain SL/MA inaction given this record run. Presumably if LJ is still in charge on Feb 1st, there is no longer scope for Chelsea to send Tammy anywhere else, so that may be the earliest?

If such a clause (and risk of Tammy being recalled) did exist - would it change your mind on LJ?

2 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

I suggested the idea a week or two back, but MA was quite clear there is no recall. 

I'm still worried about it though. 

Where was that mate? I might be imagining it but I could have sworn MA said something at the start of the season about there being some conditions, and some very throwaway comment that implied that he was not envisaging any circumstances where those conditions were not met. I remember thinking at the time, it can't be a number of games/goals condition because you wouldn't be so casually confident about that, and assumed it was something structural.

Now I think about it, it's ringing all sorts of alarms. It would be an obvious criteria for right to recall if you weren't going to have a general right.

Just now, Olé said:

Where was that mate? I might be imagining it but I could have sworn MA said something at the start of the season about there being some conditions, and some very throwaway comment that implied that he was not envisaging any circumstances where those conditions were not met. I remember thinking at the time, it can't be a number of games/goals condition because you wouldn't be so casually confident about that, and assumed it was something structural.

Now I think about it, it's ringing all sorts of alarms. It would be an obvious criteria for right to recall if you weren't going to have a general right.

I'm positive he said that so long as we played him Chelsea could not have him back. Something like that. 

Just now, Roger Red Hat said:

Is it worth mentioning again that MA stated "There is NO recall clause'. Stop fussing about nothing, just 'cuz everything is shit at the moment.

It would be a clause that MA wouldn't have been in the slightest bit worried about, so would be easy to gloss over. 

I would still sack him now, if it meant TA going back to Chelsea then so be it. A new manager would have a week to bring another striker in, using the obvious bottomless pit of money SL has been happy to hand out to the current manager. 

We do have other strikers, a tactically astute manager may even be able to get us a few 1-0 wins, by actually sending the team out with plan. At the moment TA's goals are actually winning us no points whatsoever.

However much Tammy offers and he's clearly a major asset, he's not City's asset and barring a miracle, he wont be a City player after May. Keeping a failing Head Coach because there is a possibility that a player may be recalled 4 months early doesn't make any sense (Not that I can believe a club that replaces managers with a regularity like Chelsea has, would insist on such an odd clause). Given the downward trajectory our team is on, we could end up with a future England player among the top goalscorers in the Championship, whilst our HC steers us back to the murky waters of League One!!! Unthinkable, in my view!!

24 minutes ago, Olé said:

I think someone else on here suggested this a few weeks ago (so credit to them) and I didn't give it a second thought, but is it possible that Chelsea have a recall clause on Tammy if the manager goes? It would certainly be a very logical termination right for a contract that allowed a highly prized player to go out on loan with no general recall.

And in the circumstances (both LJ's claimed role in securing him, and the form and reputation Tammy has developed this season) you would have to imagine they would be only too quick to take him back and get him involved higher up the league or even at a Premiership side - they've shown themselves to be very ready to recall and re-loan.

So, if we see nothing this week, is it possible this is influencing our decision making? I can't think of any other major mitigating circumstances that could explain SL/MA inaction given this record run. Presumably if LJ is still in charge on Feb 1st, there is no longer scope for Chelsea to send Tammy anywhere else, so that may be the earliest?

If such a clause (and risk of Tammy being recalled) did exist - would it change your mind on LJ?

Give him a little hat/ toadstool and fishing rod and put him on gardening leave?

Tammy is immense but in our last 8 league games he has scored 6 times and yet we have still lost every single one of them.

I'm of the opinion that if we had a competent head coach instead he could find a way of securing more than 0 points from the last 24 available, even if that meant he had to do so without Tammy...

I don't want him back for one moment, but even Russell Osman could do that, I think.

11 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Would be quite a strange clause to put in a contract...

I don't think so - if there is no general recall clause for a highly prized asset, there must be specific ones, because I'm certain Chelsea don't send out players with absolutely zero right to recall. Any contract I've ever seen has termination clauses, even if they are complex and specific. Just a question of under what circumstances Chelsea's legal team would consider all bets are off and we are undermining the reasons they sent the player to us.

I feel the same way as most of the responses by the way, it just has me wondering if we may not see anything happen this week after all - waiting for the transfer window to close would reduce the scope to recall and re-loan the player, if such a term existed.

• Admin
1 minute ago, Olé said:

waiting for the transfer window to close would reduce the scope to recall and re-loan the player, if such a term existed.

The cynic in me thinks you're on to something here,. Time will tell and not too long to find out. 

4 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I think it's over half of the games he has to play, seem to recall hearing the word majority used.

Got to be something like that.  He was an un-tried 18 year old going to a club with a 20 goal striker and an experienced old pro.  None if us expected him to do what he has and even play as much as he has, partly causing the sell of Kodjia.  No way was it 'play every game'.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Got to be something like that.  He was an un-tried 18 year old going to a club with a 20 goal striker and an experienced old pro.  None if us expected him to do what he has and even play as much as he has, partly causing the sell of Kodjia.  No way was it 'play every game'.

I doubt we`d have taken him on those terms either. We (and Chelsea) both know that even the best players need a rest every now and again for one thing.

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think it was a case of he must play as a centre forward. Why else would LJ have put a 20 goal striker ( Kodjia ) on the left or right wing at the start of the season?

3 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I think it was a case of he must play as a centre forward. Why else would LJ have put a 20 goal striker ( Kodjia ) on the left or right wing at the start of the season?

Who knows, but a lot of his Chelsea u21 games looked like he played left forward.

An extremely bizzare clause to put in any contract/loan and one i dont believe would have been discussed even for a second.

One that is more likely i would believe is if we are in the bottom 3 halfway through the season, much like why Izzy Brown was recalled from Rotherham and sent to a team chasing promo in Hudds....

Archived