IGNORED

Nigel Adkins

Bris Red

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Failed in his last job in the league below.

No thanks

Too right, he had a bigger budget than us and still couldn't get Sheff U promoted.

Better options than him.

7 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Failed in his last job in the league below.

No thanks

Yet he was the first manager in Southampton FC's history to get them back to back promotions taking them into the premier league whilst keeping them in the top two all season....not good enough for you obviously....

Every manager seems to have a unique position in one club with promotion and have that synergistic group of players but cannot repeat the recipe elsewherte, much like Adkins. Only managers to be able to repeat is the likes of Steve Bruce, turnover of players with new team under Ferguson and a couple of others I can't remember after a few of these beers. But hopefully you get my drift. 

Everything depends on generating new chemistry and the passion to win.

1 minute ago, shelts said:

I would hope we would attract a top notch Championship manager with ambition who could get our wealthy Owner to part with even more money , whilst having a genuine crack at the Premiership 

in the past we'd never fork out for one of those....nowadays....I'm happy to be surprised. Simon Grayson please Steve

4 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

in the past we'd never fork out for one of those....nowadays....I'm happy to be surprised. Simon Grayson please Steve

Wow that's a curve ball. A long shot I would think. Think we need someone who would make the footballing world take notice . Pardew. 

4 minutes ago, Lucan said:

Are you deliberately ignoring the fact that Adkins got both Soton Scunthorpe promoted twice?

But after that he took Reading down and Sheff U (with the biggest budget in League One) nowhere, so you are being a bit selective there.

By the way, if Sheff U is such a poisoned chalice how come that Chris Wilder is now doing so much better than Adkins did there?

16 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Too right, he had a bigger budget than us and still couldn't get Sheff U promoted.

Better options than him.

Maybe. He'd be on my shortlist though given he has managed two clubs in the Premier League and won promotion to the Premier League.

People are suggesting Uwe Rosler as a frontrunner, what division is he managing in at the moment?

20 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yet he was the first manager in Southampton FC's history to get them back to back promotions taking them into the premier league whilst keeping them in the top two all season....not good enough for you obviously....

And was rubbish subsequently at Reading and Sheff Utd.

If we are after someone who was successful once then I imagine Paul Jewell is available

Just now, shelts said:

Why ?

im intrigued 

I know a few Newcastle fans.... I'll say no more, but if the goss is right, not within BS3 thanks. I say Grayson because he sets a team up and survives whilst spending bugger all. The history of BCFC suggests we have a spending splurge, then a couple of seasons when we claim we are skint. He'd be perfect

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

Maybe. He'd be on my shortlist though given he has managed two clubs in the Premier League and won promotion to the Premier League.

People are suggesting Uwe Rosler as a frontrunner, what division is he managing in at the moment?

Fair comment, personally I'm not too sure about Rosler, I think you can discount his time at Leeds and truly I can't remember what his record at Wigan or Brentford was like without cheating and looking it up.

I like Steve Clarke, if we are going to get in a coach then he has been assistant at both Chelsea and Liverpool and as he showed when Reading took us apart last year he can certainly set a side up well.

Hardly a dynamic media personality I admit, but if we stop losing I doubt too many will mind that.

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

And was rubbish subsequently at Reading and Sheff Utd.

If we are after someone who was successful once then I imagine Paul Jewell is available

He was appointed Reading manager at the end of March 2013 so their relegation that season was hardly his fault....but you think it was?

1 minute ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I know a few Newcastle fans.... I'll say no more, but if the goss is right, not within BS3 thanks. I say Grayson because he sets a team up and survives whilst spending bugger all. The history of BCFC suggests we have a spending splurge, then a couple of seasons when we claim we are skint. He'd be perfect

He has lovely hair and a winning smile 

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

What!?! Who would want him?

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He was only appointed Reading manager on 26 March 2013 that season, so relegation was all his fault?!

No, it wasn't.

But he lost more than he won at Reading despite parachute payments, that is not a great record.

Just now, Lucan said:

I didn't say Sheffield united was a poison chalice.  Not sure why you are bringing them up at all...

Because it was his last job in management.

I was referring to Sweeney's penalties comments re his failure there.

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

No idea but he was sacked pretty sharpish therefore a failure twice in a row

Bit of a lazy reply then after you said he was 'rubbish at Reading' when he joined them in March 2013 so wasn't responsible for the relegation that season and then lasted at The Royals until December 2014....a long time in modern football...

Just now, BS4 on Tour... said:

He speaks highly of you too! 

Makes I laugh how people on here think they know people in the public eye!

Havent got a clue!

I'm sure Sheffield United fans would agree with me, guiding them to their lowest finish for over 30 years when he was manager :clap:We do need another record breaker.

2 minutes ago, Sergio Georgini said:

I'm sure Sheffield United fans would agree with me, guiding them to their lowest finish for over 30 years when he was manager :clap:We do need another record breaker.

Fair enough, ignore his other records, e.g. the only Southampton manager to ever gain back to back promotions to take them into the premier league, they weren't out of the top two in those seasons...

But you carry on using your weak stats....

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough, ignore his other records, e.g. the only Southampton manager to ever gain back to back promotions to take them into the premier league, they weren't out of the top two in those seasons...

But you carry on using your weak stats....

Weak stats :laugh: That's a pretty telling stat if you ask me. Seems like other clubs weren't exactly quick to snap him up after being sacked, funny that.

46 minutes ago, ontariored said:

Every manager seems to have a unique position in one club with promotion and have that synergistic group of players but cannot repeat the recipe elsewherte, much like Adkins. Only managers to be able to repeat is the likes of Steve Bruce, turnover of players with new team under Ferguson and a couple of others I can't remember after a few of these beers. But hopefully you get my drift. 

Everything depends on generating new chemistry and the passion to win.

Colin?

I like Rosler for his pedigree as a player, and he's done decently at club level management.  There are probably better choices, I'm not hearing many of them though.  Here's the stats.

Managerial statistics[edit]

As of 22 January 2017[66]
Team From To Record Ref
G W D L Win %
Lillestrøm 1 November 2004 13 November 2006 55 24 16 15 43.64
Viking 22 November 2006 18 November 2009 89 37 24 28 41.57
Molde 30 August 2010 31 December 2010 8 6 2 0 75.00
Brentford 10 June 2011 7 December 2013 136 60 40 36 44.12
Wigan Athletic 7 December 2013 13 November 2014 55 22 16 17 40.00
Leeds United 20 May 2015 19 October 2015 12 2 6 4 16.67
Fleetwood Town 30 July 2016 Present 37 16 11 10 43.24
Total 392 167 115 110 42.60

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I like Rosler for his pedigree as a player, and he's done decently at club level management.  There are probably better choices, I'm not hearing many of them though.  Here's the stats.

Team From To Record Ref
G W D L Win %

No issue with Uwe Rosler. He had a dogs job at Leeds, did well at Bees, doing well at Fleetwood

7 minutes ago, Sergio Georgini said:

Weak stats :laugh: That's a pretty telling stat if you ask me. Seems like other clubs weren't exactly quick to snap him up after being sacked, funny that.

So you'd reject a guy who took Saints from League One into the Premier League in two seasons, whilst setting a new record of eight successive league wins and never being outside the top two...in all that time?

And that's on top what he did at Scunthorpe...when he took them from league one into the championship, and when they were relegated he took them straight back up the next season...

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Team From To Record Ref
G W D L Win %

Just to play Devil's advocate though, his time at Brentford was in League One and Wigan sacked him when they were in The Championship relegation zone.

In the interests of balance he had got them to the playoffs and FA Cup semi final the year before..

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

So you'd reject a guy who took Saints from League One into the Premier League in two seasons, whilst setting a new record of eight successive league wins and never being outside the top two...in all that time?

And that's on top what he did at Scunthorpe...when he took them from league one into the championship, and when they were relegated he took them straight back up the next season...

For two great jobs he did there is Reading and Sheffield United. I personally wouldn't want him as our manager but each to their own.

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Just to play Devil's advocate though, his time at Brentford was in League One and Wigan sacked him when they were in The Championship relegation zone.

In the interests of balance he had got them to the playoffs and FA Cup semi final the year before..

yep, certainly not a 'no-brainer' I agree Graham.  I'm just struggling with the options.

1 hour ago, shelts said:

Wow that's a curve ball. A long shot I would think. Think we need someone who would make the footballing world take notice . Pardew. 

Not sure why we need someone to get us attention.  I prefer someone to get us winning again and Grayson would sort us out.  We have the players, just need to pick the best ones consistently in a settled shape.  Do that and results will follow...

7 minutes ago, Sergio Georgini said:

For two great jobs he did there is Reading and Sheffield United. I personally wouldn't want him as our manager but each to their own.

Fair enough, thanks for the debate on a Sunday night, I dunno who would the best 'next manager' for us but am also aware that there isn't currently a vacancy at BS3...

A lot of paper talk linking us with Rowett , then also linking him with Norwich . 

Would like a manager that would get our players out of their comfort zone. Not sure who. A lot saying a yes man puppet for the owner, who is likely to be one of them?

4 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Not sure why we need someone to get us attention.  I prefer someone to get us winning again and Grayson would sort us out.  We have the players, just need to pick the best ones consistently in a settled shape.  Do that and results will follow...

Were a laughing stock. No credibility. Give us a name who can restore our lost pride, a manager people might like at their club, a sought after chap. We have some decent players , some need to be moved on. Stability please 

14 minutes ago, shelts said:

Were a laughing stock. No credibility. Give us a name who can restore our lost pride, a manager people might like at their club, a sought after chap. We have some decent players , some need to be moved on. Stability please 

Steve Bruce, but I doubt very much we will get him!!!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Team From To Record Ref
G W D L Win %

I like Rosler and think that's a decent CV, even his short spell at Leeds is a massive improvement on our current form!

Do you have the stats like this for Rowett?

The thing is, you can look at any manager's record and think they will or won't be successful. Look at managers like Steve McClaren and he has done some great jobs with certain teams and been a disaster elsewhere. The vast majority of us were happy with the appointment of Coppell, if not ecstatic, and look how that turned out. No manager comes without risk, but Adkins would excite me with the football his teams generally play. IMHO, we certainly need change now and would prefer him over many other suggestions. 

Adkins would be on my shortlist.

There are fair points about his time at Sheffield United, and Reading too, but there aren't many managers with only ten years in the field who can claim to have four promtions on their CV.

He's also got over 450 games in management under his belt in that period, experience at this level and higher, and a decent overall win rate (though I'm always more interested in managers 'did not lose' rate, personally, and that is good too).

For me, we could do much worse than him.  Would be above emerging talents like Graham Alexander for me; not because I don't rate them, but because I think we need someone who has been there and done it now - McInnes, Millen (to an extent) and now LJ were experiments in 'young/new & upcoming' managers/coaches for us at this level; it hasn't worked.

Need someone who can draw on their record and experience at this level for solutions - Adkins would have that going for him.

2 minutes ago, cityironman said:

Go get Simon Grayson from PNE i say! What he's done there with very little money is highly impressive

No offence mate but another deluded suggestion. Why would Grayson leave PNE to come here in our current predicament. Add to that the fact hes a northen lad and spent the whole of his playing and managerial career up there its just a dead shout IMO.

Adkins + Kenny Jacket would be getting phone calls from me if i was SL. The two most realistic and best fits for BCFC that are available. I like them both but Adkins would edge it, the job he did at Southampton was superb.

2 minutes ago, bris red said:

No offence mate but another deluded suggestion. Why would Grayson leave PNE to come here in our current predicament. Add to that the fact hes a northen lad and spent the whole of his playing and managerial career up there its just a dead shout IMO.

Adkins + Kenny Jacket would be getting phone calls from me if i was SL. The two most realistic and best fits for BCFC that are available. I like them both but Adkins would edge it, the job he did at Southampton was superb.

No offence taken! I appreciate what your saying but the obvious answer is money. We have a lot more of it than they do and as we all know it can make anyones head turn! 

Archived