IGNORED

Is Tammy the golden nugget and our Achilles heel?

MarkRed!

Firstly, I am big fan of TA and no doubt he has been one of the success stories of the season for BCFC and for him personally. However, I have watched the last few games and wondered, what does he actually contribute other than his goals. It may be said that his goals are his contribution but I think we need more from him. He cannot play as the lone forward, his link up play is poor and his hold up play is equally poor if we are playing a direct style. Very rarely does he get the ball into feet.  Not surprising for an 18 year old he gets outmuscled and he is isolated. In contrast, Djuric looks far more impressive in getting hold of the ball and shielding it.... 3 assists from 4 games tells you as much.

I think we should look at how we can get TA into the game more and use his strengths (Pace and Power). Thus, I think the solution is to go back to our initial formation and play TA either behind Djuric or on the right hand side. I think the latter, as his ariel abilities will be better served against the full back than the centre back. It may also draw the centre back's out wide creating more space for Reid and Tomlin. I think he would be very dangerous cutting in from the right given this pace and power. My formation and team would thus be: 

Giefer 

Magnusson Wright Flint Little

Hegler Pack

Tomlin Reid Abraham

Djuric 

Both Tomlin and Reid should be in the team and I am shocked they are not. We need to utilise our creative players. Forest was crying out for both of those players.

I would drop Joe Bryan - some shocking performances of late and put him back in the U23's if we can. Magnusson plays left back for Iceland and should be played accordingly. Little is only in because we have no other fit RB's. He also needs to be replaced. I dont think we can play two up front and thus we need to think about a structure which allows our better players to get into the team. 

Christ, Magnusson at right back and Little at left back!

Tomlin's pace on the right flank and our top scorer and only real goal threat Tammy on the left wing.

No thanks.

Geiffer

Wright      Flint     Magnusson
Darikwa (loan please)                                                           Bryan

Heggler           Reid

Tomlin

Djuric                  Abraham

16 minutes ago, ollywhyte said:

Tomlin's pace on the right flank and our top scorer and only real goal threat Tammy on the left wing.

No thanks.

Geiffer

Darikwa (loan please)                                                           Bryan

Heggler           Reid

Tomlin

Sorry, Mags would be on the left as would Tomlin! Abraham would play off the right, with Reid going through the middle. He is certainly not a holding midfielder.....and in the above formation Hegeler would be too exposed. If Reid plays he should play further forward.....

Also, I don't think we can play 352 and given the piss poor performances with it, I would suggest it is quickly abandoned following the diabolical performance at Forest...... 

21 minutes ago, ollywhyte said:

No thanks.

Geiffer

Heggler           Reid

Tomlin

I like this formation and team. Could Brownhill not play RWB if required ?

1 minute ago, MarkRed! said:

Sorry, Mags would be on the left as would Tomlin! Abraham would play off the right, with Reid going through the middle. He is certainly not a holding midfielder.....and in the above formation Hegeler would be too exposed. If Reid plays he should play further forward.....

Also, I don't think we can play 352 and given the piss poor performances with it, I would suggest it is quickly abandoned following the diabolical performance at Forest...... 

I think the conflicting opinions of many are testament to our situation in general.

By this stage of the season the fanbase in general should have fairly similar ideas/setups but LJ has not inspired us with any of his team selections.

If our manager who is paid to make these decisions can't get it right, how are we supposed too?

Really need a manager who is willing to put his neck on the line, come up with a solid, compact and generally suitable formation who is here to make no friends. Simply stick to his plan with no tinkering or seemingly random team selections, use your strongest 11 players and step out onto that pitch with the level of pride, commitment and passion that we expect. Attack games where appropriate and put teams to the sword, and if we are still losing games then so be it. As long as we as fans can walk away knowing the players have left everything on the pitch we will be halfway there.

We do not have a poor team, far from it. We are simply mismanaged. LJ, is obviously a very intelligent man but at this moment in time he is out of his depth. He knows it, we know it and deep down SL knows it.

As sad as it is, change is needed again. I really wanted LJ to succeed, as did many others. I still think he will succeed in management in general, just not with us.

There's definitely something in this.

Up until Cardiff we played Abraham up front with 3 attacking midfield players around him. Then Cardiff demonstrated how to mark Abraham out of games and suddenly everything became about getting support alongside him, playing 2 up front and trying to shift things round elsewhere to fill in the gaps.

We have a lot of attacking midfield players: Tomlin, Reid, Paterson, O'Dowda, Freeman, Brownhill so it makes sense to use them. If we return to 4-2-3-1 we can get three of them in the team without sacrificing width or midfield solidity (provided the 3 do what they're supposed to). Playing Djuric up front would be enough against physical opposition and would still create chances so long as the attacking midfielders got close enough to him. Once the defence has had an hour of being battered by Djuric we could bring on Abraham to run at them for half an hour.

1 hour ago, ollywhyte said:

I think the conflicting opinions of many are testament to our situation in general.

By this stage of the season the fanbase in general should have fairly similar ideas/setups but LJ has not inspired us with any of his team selections.

If our manager who is paid to make these decisions can't get it right, how are we supposed too?

Really need a manager who is willing to put his neck on the line, come up with a solid, compact and generally suitable formation who is here to make no friends. Simply stick to his plan with no tinkering or seemingly random team selections, use your strongest 11 players and step out onto that pitch with the level of pride, commitment and passion that we expect. Attack games where appropriate and put teams to the sword, and if we are still losing games then so be it. As long as we as fans can walk away knowing the players have left everything on the pitch we will be halfway there.

We do not have a poor team, far from it. We are simply mismanaged. LJ, is obviously a very intelligent man but at this moment in time he is out of his depth. He knows it, we know it and deep down SL knows it.

As sad as it is, change is needed again. I really wanted LJ to succeed, as did many others. I still think he will succeed in management in general, just not with us.

100% agree with you here but I am not sure there is mismangement as such, I just dont think LJ knows his best combinations. He has panicked in going 352 imo and how ironic is it that he has gone to a formation we all wanted changed at the very same time last year because it was not working.... they say lightning does not strike twice..... they were wrong!

4 hours ago, MarkRed! said:

his link up play is poor

Are we watching the same 18 year-old with no previous experience of men's football who gets clobbered by brutish centre-halves each week, yet still gets up and plays on for his team, gaining free-kicks and laying the ball off, controlling it on his chest (direct from goal-kicks, no less) and passes first time accurately?

It's very much a case of people seeing different things, this. I'm not saying I'm right, I'm saying what I see.

1 minute ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Who says they aren't good enough? They were perfectly good at the start of the season.

I certainly say they aren't! O'Dowda - weak no end product; Freeman ditto (add up their assists); Paterson ditto; Reid - prob best of the lot but that's not saying a lot. The wins in our 'perfectly good' start to the season were almost entirely down to Tammy and the performances were not equal to the points gained.  

57 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Are we watching the same 18 year-old with no previous experience of men's football who gets clobbered by brutish centre-halves each week, yet still gets up and plays on for his team, gaining free-kicks and laying the ball off, controlling it on his chest (direct from goal-kicks, no less) and passes first time accurately?

It's very much a case of people seeing different things, this. I'm not saying I'm right, I'm saying what I see.

Sorry, but I dont think we are.... I watched him very carefully on Saturday and a fan behind me said - "other than this goals, he offers nothing". He was slightly more colourful... hence my post today. To be fair, I love TA but I just thought it was worth a discussion rather than it all being about LJ.... I personally dont think he can play on his own up front and I dont think we can play in a two up front either. Thus, we need to think of a way to include him. Thus, I am not saying he should be dropped but how he could be better utilised....

Just now, MarkRed! said:

Sorry, but I dont think we are.... I watched him very carefully on Saturday and a fan behind me said - "other than this goals, he offers nothing". He was slightly more colourful... hence my post today. To be fair, I love TA but I just thought it was worth a discussion rather than it all being about LJ.... I personally dont think he can play on his own up front and I dont think we can play in a two up front either. Thus, we need to think of a way to include him. Thus, I am not saying he should be dropped but how he could be better utilised....

I think Forest was an aberration in terms of our display and Tammy's performance. He looked to me in the Cardiff and Reading defeats like he was still holding the ball up and linking up well as he had all season. Certainly v Forest he didn't show these attributes, by all reports. But we do all see things differently and both our opinions are valid. As for changing the topic, I'm with you on that!

1 hour ago, EnclosureSurge said:

No you're right mate. Tammy has never been the problem unless you count masking our shortcomings early on in the season by scoring loads of goals. He does everything you want a striker to do 

Archived