IGNORED

Man Utd away support.

BCFC1512

On 26/01/2017 at 21:16, Portland Bill said:

Makes a big difference when your team have been winning most weeks for the last 20 years!

Does that explain the huge followings in division 2 in the seventies or the away before the thing really existed in the early sixties?

18 likes anyone?

3 hours ago, City Rocker said:

I thought that myth was debunked years ago? 65% red, I seem to remember was the conclusion of one report.

I think the Manchester Evening News did a survey a few years back and it came out around 2 to 1 in favour of United. I've met plenty of Mancunians over the years (university, work,  friends of friends etc) and the majority have been red, not blue. 

Also worth pointing out that Man Utd are the only team to ever have the highest average attendance in an English league season whilst outside the top flight - this happened back in the 70s after they were relegated from division 1. They may have plenty of glory hunters but make no mistake, they also have a huge core of very loyal fans. 

Also interesting to note how many Man City fans come from Stockport - perhaps if they all supported their local team (something they are only too quick to castigate southern Man Utd fans for), Stockport County wouldn't be floundering quite so badly in non-league. 

3 hours ago, City Rocker said:

I thought that myth was debunked years ago? 65% red, I seem to remember was the conclusion of one report.

I think the Manchester Evening News did a survey a few years back and it came out around 2 to 1 in favour of United. I've met plenty of Mancunians over the years (university, work,  friends of friends etc) and the majority have been red, not blue. 

Also worth pointing out that Man Utd are the only team to ever have the highest average attendance in an English league season whilst outside the top flight - this happened back in the 70s after they were relegated from division 1. They may have plenty of glory hunters but make no mistake, they also have a huge core of very loyal fans. 

Also interesting to note how many Man City fans come from Stockport - perhaps if they all supported their local team (something they are only too quick to castigate southern Man Utd fans for), Stockport County wouldn't be floundering quite so badly in non-league. 

14 hours ago, Cunnyfunt said:

They had massive away support even when they were relegated to be fair. Is that what you call sheep who follow success? Strange. 

Yes they did. However, back in those days I would say they were genuine fans. They were a massive club even back then and don't forget they were very successful before the relegation.

Today it is massively different. Of course they still have a local hardcore support. However, the vast majority of the fans / followers are indeed sheep. They have followed success of a team not followed a random team. I talk to people when watching Man Utd in the pub, I can confidently say that the Man Utd fans that I have come across in these situations, have not even seen their team live home or away.

If they aren't sheep then why didn't they pick Bury, Rochdale or Crewe as their team?

9 hours ago, gazza1982 said:

By far the best away support in England 

Correct. All the 'big' clubs are pretty good actually, including Newcastle, Wednesday, Leeds.. one correlation between them all? Every single person stands all game. None of this 'you're in my seat' stuff you get with our away support. So much better and a much better atmosphere.

Don't get me wrong, we're pretty good in comparison with similar sized clubs but truly big clubs have a better mentality towards away support which makes a consistently better atmosphere from them.

I guess it's a symptom of selling out your away end most weeks, your support get more used to it. It's a bit of a novelty for us to being 3/4000 to games but that's nothing to the big clubs.

17 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

I don't see anything wrong with that tbh

I just don't get the urge to glory hunt. 

It's a moot point for me as my family have been City diehards for generations - probably since the club was founded - they mostly lived walking distance from Ashton Gate.

Were I not born into a City dynasty I'd like to think I'd still end up following the club as it represents the city of my birth, the area my family come from and , let's face it, it's the easiest to get to!

Maybe I wouldn't,  who knows :dunno:

On 26/01/2017 at 21:54, stephenkibby. said:

Yeah of course they are. And wouldn't they be?

They come from every corner of the earth (and Manchester)

Why wouldn't you be impressed. If you think that's great then that's a sad that you are impressed !!

So you're saying these part timers are the ones creating a great atmosphere with all their verity of songs? My cousin is a man utd season ticket holder and goes home and away and says its hard enough for season ticket holders to get hold of tickets. When you have 16k season ticket holders applying for 3k allocation every week its hard to think most of them are from in the town of the opponent. You only get the away tickets if you're dedicated enough. 

On 27/01/2017 at 09:19, supercidered said:

I'm sorry but that is categorically wrong.

The majority of football fans in Manchester are Man City fans. That is just Manchester.

The majority of Man U fans live outside of Manchester even outside of Salford.

Walk in to any pub on a day, in any town in any city when Man U are being shown on TV and there they will be. They gather like sheep and some of them wouldn't where know Manchester is if you gave them a pin to stick in a map.

Plastic mancs

On 27/01/2017 at 09:19, supercidered said:

I'm sorry but that is categorically wrong.

The majority of football fans in Manchester are Man City fans. That is just Manchester.

The majority of Man U fans live outside of Manchester even outside of Salford.

Walk in to any pub on a day, in any town in any city when Man U are being shown on TV and there they will be. They gather like sheep and some of them wouldn't where know Manchester is if you gave them a pin to stick in a map.

Completely wrong. I lived in the centre of Manchester for 3 years and rarely saw any City and especially in pubs, etc.

12 hours ago, supercidered said:

Yes they did. However, back in those days I would say they were genuine fans. They were a massive club even back then and don't forget they were very successful before the relegation.

Today it is massively different. Of course they still have a local hardcore support. However, the vast majority of the fans / followers are indeed sheep. They have followed success of a team not followed a random team. I talk to people when watching Man Utd in the pub, I can confidently say that the Man Utd fans that I have come across in these situations, have not even seen their team live home or away.

If they aren't sheep then why didn't they pick Bury, Rochdale or Crewe as their team?

Sure but you are confusing the plastic occasional day tripper that you meet in the pub with the genuine fans who for example travelled to Hull on a cold wet Thursday night. 

You could also say the same about Man City fans... why didn't they support Stockport County as the majority of Man City fans are from there. 

On 1/26/2017 at 21:54, cidered abroad said:

Is the OP to praise Man U and it's fans or to slag City fans?

My first memory of the name Man U was at five years of age when they won the FA Cup v Blackpool in 1948. Apart from a few blips like relegation in 1974 to Division Two and the barren years while Liverpool won everything in the 1980's, they have been winning trophies with monotonous regularity; European Cups, now called Champions League, First Division / Premier League, FA and FL Cups.

So what have Bristol City won since 1948? Two Third Division championships, six other promotions, seven relegations, a few Mickey Mouse Cups.

Ten fallow years between any success. Thus is it any wonder that one club's supporters give their club vocal support without question and Bristol City's support finds it difficult to consistently do that simply because we get shat upon from a bloody great height so often.

Finally, when was the last time that Man U gathered only seven points from a possible forty eight - 16 matches? The answer is never.

PS. I am not a Man U fan, I don't particularly like them as a club, but their genuine supporters have my respect in the same way as I respect all true football fans.  

What even me?

Archived