IGNORED

No system

Benjam!n Ultra

4 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

In which case @Benjam!n Ultra- you must have an agenda to justify your ultra anti Johnson posts because I cannot understand how anyone at the match tonight could not at least say that City were ok at worst and damn determined at best.

We got in their faces, for only a 5 minute spell did we drop back. Missing sitters from Browhill and Tammy prevented us from taking the lead and apart one  mistake by the otherwise faultless and totally staggeringly good signing of Hegele and we should have won.

I just feel that I have to continue to support Lee Johnson- my choice for good or bad. We are not a bad team and anyone thinking that there was a huge anti Johnson feeling tonight lives in an OTIB bubble. Great support from start to finish and not a Thatch in sight.

Not knocking the players nor their efforts, however if anyone can identify the tactics used and educate the rest of us it would be appreciated.  

Talk about negativity on this forum.

I thought LJ made some good decisions tonight. 

Formation was wrong in first 20mins. He spotted and adjusted accordingly. We managed to keep a top 6 side fairly quiet. 

This should give us a bit of confidence going into Saturday. We definitely have a squad and manager good enough to move up this league

36 minutes ago, Kim_il_sung said:

Here we go..I knew people would start behaving like this. A fortunate point at home after eight straight losses and suddenly we are all supposed to be delighted, and anybody showing criticism and discontent is shot down. 

A massive deflection and a penalty suggests we rode our luck tonight and that all the same problems remain. Two soft goals conceded, poor tactics... Im happy with the point and grateful for the players hard work but Im not going to start pretending everythings rosy. I still want LJ gone.

Never said it was, but if the immediate reaction to tonight is to log on here and make a moan thread then I'd suggest the agenda is pretty clear. 

Fortunate point it quite harsh. Tomlin was through ok goal and chopped down and ok Tammy's was lucky, but they should have never scored a second were it not for an absolute howler from Hegeler. 

We had more possession and more efforts on target than a Sheffield Wednesday team who are playoff contenders for a second season running. 

In the circumstances of tonight's game, it was a very good point that deserves a good deal of credit, it's sad that people choose only to focus on the negative. 

Just now, Benjam!n Ultra said:

Not knocking the players nor their efforts, however if anyone can identify the tactics used and educate the rest of us it would be appreciated.  

The tactics were to end the run of defeats, to not give up just because we go a goal behind and to play some attractive skilful football at times against a very good team.

The fan's tactics were to get behind the team and let them know we haven't given up.

Both tactics worked tonight.

Hope this helps.

11 minutes ago, Fishponds_Red said:

I thought Johnson got the team selection and substitutions spot on tonight for the first time in a while.  Decent point against a top, well organised side.  Looking forward to Saturday now. 

Not out of the woods yet but at least we didn't lose and we got a point out of it, well done guys COYR

I thought we were OK tonight and it was a decent point. Some of the usual failings were there (suspect defending, Tomlin being inexplicably played out wide at first, giving the ball away etc) but we played with spirit and deserved the draw.

It was good to see that Tomlin seems to have got his mojo back. We were poorer when he went off.

What a relief, though, to end that run of defeats and at least we have finally moved off 27 points. It was fast becoming my least favourite number.

9 minutes ago, Fishponds_Red said:

There was - 4-2-3-1 for the first 69 mins, then 4-4-2 for the last 24 mins.  Hope this helps. 

Not what I saw. For the first 25 minutes we had Tomlin on the right of midfield, leaving Little very exposed and meaning Tomlin couldn't affect the game where he is at his best. It looked more 4-1-4-1 than 4-2-3-1 to me, with Hegeler as the deepest midfielder. Once O' Dowda moved to the right and Tomlin into the middle, at about 25 minutes, we looked  more solid down our right and more creative. Hegeler started getting ahead of the ball to good effect, and Tomlin did his (excellent) stuff.

Once the change was made  - could argue whether it was 4-4-2 or  4-4-1-1, but either way we looked a much better side. But why start with Tomlin playing wide? It seemed obvious straight away that Wednesday would try to exploit this weak spot, and it didn't take them long to do so. Although their first goal didn't come down our right, plenty of dangerous attacks did.

So, for me, credit to the players for battling, but still questions about LJ - firstly setting up like that in the first place, then taking so long to realise it was causing us problems. 

IMO LJ deserves some credit? 1-0 down and little was exposed as no cover from Tomlin . LJ then switches o dowda to the right and Tomlin through the middle. Tomlin then gets a penalty and scores and influences the game? So surely his changes had positive results. 

5 minutes ago, Spoons said:

IMO LJ deserves some credit? 1-0 down and little was exposed as no cover from Tomlin . LJ then switches o dowda to the right and Tomlin through the middle. Tomlin then gets a penalty and scores and influences the game? So surely his changes had positive results. 

I agree. People sometimes only see negatives. 

5 minutes ago, Spoons said:

They did. But why did LJ set the team up like that in the first place? As soon as I saw where Tomlin was playing I said we'd have problems down our right. And I'm no tactical genius. So if it was obvious to me pretty much from kick off, shouldn't it have been obvious BEFORE kick off to the guy who is paid to sort out the tactics?

2 minutes ago, lager loud said:

They did. But why did LJ set the team up like that in the first place? As soon as I saw where Tomlin was playing I said we'd have problems down our right. And I'm no tactical genius. So if it was obvious to me pretty much from kick off, shouldn't it have been obvious BEFORE kick off to the guy who is paid to sort out the tactics?

I agree with that. Lee Tomlin wasn't signed to track back on the right, he was signed to influence games and hopefully on Saturday he starts centrally. 

3 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Right back exposed ? Yikes, good job Lee picked up on that. Hopefully now he knows he might need a little protection for our weakest position...well spotted that man.

To be fair to little I thought he put a good shift in tonight and seeing at sometimes he was exposed to 2/3 attacking players at once! Hardly the weak link.

If you haven't managed to get within a sniff of getting your leg over for a long string of successive weekends, you are being deluded if, when you do finally crack your duck, you think it is fair to moan you didn't bag a super model.

Yep we copped off with a bit of a munter, bit wobbly in places and somewhat hairy. But at least we have broken the cycle. Onwards and upwards and good job we never gave her our phone number. COYR.

3 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

If you haven't managed to get within a sniff of getting your leg over for a long string of successive weekends, you are being deluded if, when you do finally crack your duck, you think it is fair to moan you didn't bag a super model.

Yep we copped off with a bit of a munter, bit wobbly in places and somewhat hairy. But at least we have broken the cycle. Onwards and upwards and good job we never gave her our phone number. COYR.

Holloway, is that you? 

The way we defend is truly terrifying!! I think derby and Newcastle will be rubbing their hands together, just let city have the ball and they will make a mistake and we will hit them on the counter attack quick and they'll have no answer. 

Happy with a point but the football being played is not great. 

Hopefully a 3-5-2 on Saturday 

26 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Just got home... happy as fuck with that point.... stupid mistakes NEARLY cost us again tonight, what was Hegalar doing... !! Anyway on to Rotherham we go :) 

Agree about happiness, Keepuplino, but as for Hegeler- one mistake yes  but a  sublime player. I think this guy is destined for greatness with us.

We almost agree.Sort of.

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Agree about happiness, Keepuplino, but as for Hegeler- one mistake yes  but a  sublime player. I think this guy is destined for greatness with us.

We almost agree.Sort of.

I agree great player, tonight though I think we missed the driving runs we saw in his earlier games, on numerous occasions tonight he had acres of space in front of him and chose to slow the play!! Maybe LJ is coaching this out of him...?

4 hours ago, Fishponds_Red said:

I thought Johnson got the team selection and substitutions spot on tonight for the first time in a while.  Decent point against a top, well organised side.  Looking forward to Saturday now. 

I said the same in another thread. No complaints with LJ today at all. Team was up for it, thought they were bright, the instructions were the correct ones, no turning backwards and retreating, the team played with more purpose, I thought Joe Bryan's work rate and his tracking and attention to his opponent was a revelation, the substitutions were logical. My big issue has been going forward and we were definitely better at that today.

The only problems were standing off opponents too much and in particular the right hand side of Little and O'Dowda not getting in the game sufficiently and being a liability. Little sorted himself out after half time but you can't give opponents that much room, it's just asking for it. The keeper was still as calamitous looking as Saturday. Bright spot besides Bryan is of course Hegeler, and Tomlin was finally back to his unplayable best too.

Shouted myself nearly hoarse and thought the atmosphere was great. Well done to all - by no means perfect and I understand why some are frustrated but believe me, up against the last 5 away games, this was a far more positive step and against a decent team. With all that said, my view of LJ hasn't changed, but I hope this goes some way to addressing any perception that those who are unhappy with LJ do not support the team.

Do we really have no system or does LJ want the players to play a system they aren't capable of?

Genuinely interested as i can't attend any of the games.

LJ sounds like the kind of coach that's a great student and has probably found some great tactic from some far away land that British players just aren't capable of playing.

Is it really a case of changing the tactics too soon for a group of players that can't play them?

Team were up for it, agree with that. But the players need consistency, it's obvious the players didn't really know what they were doing at times, they had acres of space to run into and were just not using it - to many times I saw nobody in the box and someone want to play the ball in or someone wanting to play a ball down the wing and nobody coming wide. 

We've loads of new players, they need to get used to each other, used to how and where they like balls played to them - this won't happen unless team selection settles down and a formation and game plan is settled on. Not sure what this obsession with 3-5-2 is but I'd suggest after this good result we don't change again.

8 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

Have we arrived at Paddington Station, yet?

4 hours ago, Sydneybcfc said:

Do we really have no system or does LJ want the players to play a system they aren't capable of?

Genuinely interested as i can't attend any of the games.

LJ sounds like the kind of coach that's a great student and has probably found some great tactic from some far away land that British players just aren't capable of playing.

Is it really a case of changing the tactics too soon for a group of players that can't play them?

I always think of Tony Adams saying under Graham we knew what we were, how we played, and we trained that way every day, every week, every month ... Lee Johnson has not been trying to be radical, but trying too much, too often with too many. The result is a team out of possession that does not drop as one, drops too deep or forms lines cohesively.

9 hours ago, Spoons said:

Yeah. I mean Tomlin is renowned for his up and down the pitch qualities and he's 100 % fit. LJ presumably works with these players every day yet thought that was sensible and when he susses it was a complete fuck up 20 minutes after everyone else he deserves praise ?

We were lucky. Delighted with the point mind.

The despondency I've had since we lost at Forest has lifted a bit. I could hardly watch the pen and the relief was such that I could not move, clap, cheer. And had some twat near me telling me I'm not a true supporter!

Good effort from team and crowd even though there are still too many unforced howlers.

Assuming all are fit for Saturday, I'd put Cotterill at right midfield where he will provide help for Little as well as attackin. O'Dowda left midfield and Joe Bryan left back. Golbourne is a better defender than JB but SG stops any forward momentum as he can't attack.

What a good footballer is Jens Hageler.

Archived