IGNORED

No system

Benjam!n Ultra

20 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Yeah. I mean Tomlin is renowned for his up and down the pitch qualities and he's 100 % fit. LJ presumably works with these players every day yet thought that was sensible and when he susses it was a complete fuck up 20 minutes after everyone else he deserves praise ?

We were lucky. Delighted with the point mind.

We were only lucky in the first 20 minutes, we could have been 2-0 down. Apart from that we held our own and had chances against a good team stacked in premier league experience. To come back twice against them deserves some credit and some of that credit must go to LJ whether you like him or not?

11 hours ago, Kim_il_sung said:

Here we go..I knew people would start behaving like this. A fortunate point at home after eight straight losses and suddenly we are all supposed to be delighted, and anybody showing criticism and discontent is shot down. 

A massive deflection and a penalty suggests we rode our luck tonight and that all the same problems remain. Two soft goals conceded, poor tactics... Im happy with the point and grateful for the players hard work but Im not going to start pretending everythings rosy. I still want LJ gone.

and what is it about goalkeepers and city, I thought geifer had a nightmare I was nervous every time he went near the ball

25 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The despondency I've had since we lost at Forest has lifted a bit. I could hardly watch the pen and the relief was such that I could not move, clap, cheer. And had some twat near me telling me I'm not a true supporter!

Good effort from team and crowd even though there are still too many unforced howlers.

Assuming all are fit for Saturday, I'd put Cotterill at right midfield where he will provide help for Little as well as attackin. O'Dowda left midfield and Joe Bryan left back. Golbourne is a better defender than JB but SG stops any forward momentum as he can't attack.

What a good footballer is Jens Hageler.

Would rather have the better defender at LB in my opinion. That's primarily his job. 

34 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The despondency I've had since we lost at Forest has lifted a bit. I could hardly watch the pen and the relief was such that I could not move, clap, cheer. And had some twat near me telling me I'm not a true supporter!

Good effort from team and crowd even though there are still too many unforced howlers.

Assuming all are fit for Saturday, I'd put Cotterill at right midfield where he will provide help for Little as well as attackin. O'Dowda left midfield and Joe Bryan left back. Golbourne is a better defender than JB but SG stops any forward momentum as he can't attack.

What a good footballer is Jens Hageler.

Agree with most of that although I'd leave Joe on the left wing and bring in Magnusson at left back. If we need a bit more in the final third then bring O'Dowda on for Joe in the last half hour...he does seem to be able to run at 'them' better than Joe does. 

The only possible other change I'd make depends on Matthew's fitness and which 'one' of the Matthew's turns up...if he is fit and plays like he did last year then having him at RB is a no-brainier.

**This is assuming we play 4-4-1-1. I'd rather see 4-1-2-1-2 with a diamond formation in the middle.

Sorry to hear about the idiot...sounds like you sit near a right bunch of numpty's.

51 minutes ago, Spoons said:

We were only lucky in the first 20 minutes, we could have been 2-0 down. Apart from that we held our own and had chances against a good team stacked in premier league experience. To come back twice against them deserves some credit and some of that credit must go to LJ whether you like him or not?

I admit I don't like him as a coach because he gets special treatment and if he is responsible for identifying players to Ashton hes done a pretty poor job in my view. I don't think he has the ability or experience to coach in the champ and wish he would learn his trade elsewhere rather than here whilst dragging us into a relegation battle.I wont give him credit for realising that an unfit Tomlin wasn't a good fit wide right.

12 hours ago, Benjam!n Ultra said:

No system

No identity

It's not good enough. 

No system?
You're wrong. There is a system and all our opposition know our system. Put our defence under pressure and it starts to break down. This was demonstrated last night when the Owls started running at us and the flapping started to happen. Our strike force gets excitable and this was demonstrated with some sitters not being taken. We didn't defend the wings. We have a system, it's just shit at the moment. Solution? Probably a bit more maturity, calmness and belief in themselves - all affected by us the fans, who fortunately don't all live on otib.

No identity?
Did you pull this out of a hat? Of course we have identity, even the gas have an identity. You're talking nonsense.

It's not good enough?
To use a phrase I've seen a few times on this board 'Have a word with your self'. City has just finished a historical losing streak (that, is not good enough) but have now achieved a draw against a good team, having come back twice. Not perfect but a step in the right direction. Get a grip.

The team continues to have my support despite some who look to have lost faith, and LJ is part of that team.

Onwards and upwards.

11 hours ago, Full nelson said:

The way we defend is truly terrifying!! I think derby and Newcastle will be rubbing their hands together, just let city have the ball and they will make a mistake and we will hit them on the counter attack quick and they'll have no answer. 

Happy with a point but the football being played is not great. 

Hopefully a 3-5-2 on Saturday 

completely agree, we're our own worse enemy - everyone expects LJ to make mistakes BUT doesn't seem to be learning from them IMO - very worrying and with 4 tough away games coming up, can't see a single point!

Said this on a different thread but I believe Flint is causing more problems for us defensively than he is solving at present and think we should cash in on him in the summer and build our defence around Wright and Magnusson. Next season I'd like to see something like this:

HOME (4-2-3-1) - or games where we expect to dominate possession.

Lucic / New GK

Vyner-------Wright-------Mags-------Bryan

----------Hegeler-------Brownhill------------

New RW / Cotts-----Tomlin-----O'Dowda

Taylor / Djuric

AWAY (4-4-2) - or games where we look to hit teams on the break. In these games when Tomlin is playing, I'd instruct him to stay as far up the pitch as possible (further than Taylor / Engvall) and let the other 9 outfield players press.

Lucic / New GK

Vyner-------Wright-------Mags-------Bryan

New RW / Cotts-----Hegeler-----Brownhill-----O'Dowda

Taylor / Engvall-----Djuric / Tomlin

2 hours ago, pillred said:

and what is it about goalkeepers and city, I thought geifer had a nightmare I was nervous every time he went near the ball

He has just arrived here , doesn't know the players in front of him , or they him  hence the pass back to his weak foot  and it was his Ashton Gate début I believe .

Give him a bit of slack .

As others has said we lost all attacking instincts when Tomlin came off, but was that LJ plan to hold on for a point in the last 10mins because that is how it looked, not saying he was wrong having losing 8 on the bounce.

My view is that is was a very disjointed preformance. We didn't seem to play as a unit in large parts of the game.

The attacking intent from full backs and midfield didn't seem to be there , no was busting a gut to get forward, but was that the plan? To try and keep our shape and get players behind the ball and don't get dragged out of position and leave gaps? Or is a mindset from the players due to lack of confidence?

Whatever the reason  LJ needs to address this.

4 minutes ago, bs3 said:

As others has said we lost all attacking instincts when Tomlin came off, but was that LJ plan to hold on for a point in the last 10mins because that is how it looked, not saying he was wrong having losing 8 on the bounce.

My view is that is was a very disjointed preformance. We didn't seem to play as a unit in large parts of the game.

The attacking intent from full backs and midfield didn't seem to be there , no was busting a gut to get forward, but was that the plan? To try and keep our shape and get players behind the ball and don't get dragged out of position and leave gaps? Or is a mindset from the players due to lack of confidence?

Whatever the reason  LJ needs to address this.

Tomlin came off because he was knackered and ran himself into the ground, thats the only reason

10 hours ago, Sydneybcfc said:

Do we really have no system or does LJ want the players to play a system they aren't capable of?

Genuinely interested as i can't attend any of the games.

LJ sounds like the kind of coach that's a great student and has probably found some great tactic from some far away land that British players just aren't capable of playing.

Is it really a case of changing the tactics too soon for a group of players that can't play them?

As I was reading that I could hear the sound of distant chimes, in a remote monastery in the hills of the Himalaya's going off.

16 hours ago, WestonRobin said:

No system, I'd agree - for the first 20 mins I couldn't work out what the formation was.

Little was dreadfully exposed as there was no one else on the right hand side.

The change to 4-4-1-1 improved us no ends...but as soon as Tomlin went off we had zero creativity.

A point is better than it has been but the tactics need to be improved.

More wide open spaces between Tomlin & Little than the Serengeti-at one point a herd of Wildebeest crossed between them..

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

He has just arrived here , doesn't know the players in front of him , or they him  hence the pass back to his weak foot  and it was his Ashton Gate début I believe .

Give him a bit of slack .

I'm sure he was a bit nervous, but as debuts go it was one to forget I'm sure he will have better games, and if you knew he had a weak side how come the players didn't!

5 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Tomlin came off because he was knackered and ran himself into the ground, thats the only reason

Yes, of course he was knackered but a knackered Tomlin can still win you the game  or lose it for you, it's choice the manager makes.  If circumstances were different he may well of stayed on.

4 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Yes, of course he was knackered but a knackered Tomlin can still win you the game  or lose it for you, it's choice the manager makes.  If circumstances were different he may well of stayed on.

Johnson had already said pre match that he planned on giving Tomlin 70 minutes as he had just recover from illness, probably not 90 min match fit yet.

20 hours ago, Kim_il_sung said:

Here we go..I knew people would start behaving like this. A fortunate point at home after eight straight losses and suddenly we are all supposed to be delighted, and anybody showing criticism and discontent is shot down. 

A massive deflection and a penalty suggests we rode our luck tonight and that all the same problems remain. Two soft goals conceded, poor tactics... Im happy with the point and grateful for the players hard work but Im not going to start pretending everythings rosy. I still want LJ gone.

Simple question did you go to the game? From my seat, I would say only a fantastic goal line clearance and a snatched chance from Tammy that could have easily been goals on another day. Our keeper made only one tricky save from a deflection - the penalty and deflection were not the only good chances. It was a good performance. 

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 22:49, Offside said:

I thought we were OK tonight and it was a decent point. Some of the usual failings were there (suspect defending, Tomlin being inexplicably played out wide at first, giving the ball away etc) but we played with spirit and deserved the draw.

It was good to see that Tomlin seems to have got his mojo back. We were poorer when he went off.

What a relief, though, to end that run of defeats and at least we have finally moved off 27 points. It was fast becoming my least favourite number.

No Tomlin  No Threat as you said

13 hours ago, bs3 said:

a knackered tomlin is like playing with 10 men as he is ineffective coming off was the right call regardless of how the match is going

Archived