IGNORED

I thought we were quite good...

DaveF

Thought we were very good value for the draw and wouldn't have been unfair if we'd won. I'd agree that we played a bit too deep, Tammy had no help upfront and the ball just kept coming back. Thought Wright, Little, Tomlin and Brownhill were excellent and O'Dowda put in an great shift too.

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Sorry, unless you genuinely meant "least like a motorbike footballer" then I have to pull you up here. Djuric isn't there to have pace to burn, to be mobile etc. He's there to hold the ball up, flick the ball on and take the hits. He did all that well, and used his lack of motor-bikeability to close down and win the ball on more than one occasion.

By all means slate him for not doing his job, but don't slate him for not doing what isn't his job

Djuric is a player we will see the best of soon enough.

To me he doesn't look dangerous in the slightest. I don't feel he is going to score very many goals for us.

But, he ain't half gonna lay them on; he ain't half gonna give us an outlet. Taylor, O'Dowda, Cotterill,Patterson; all players who I wager would rather line up with him than perhaps even Tammy expecting his flick ons and his presence. 

1 minute ago, 29AR said:

That's fair enough. I am being critical which I totally acknowledge, but that felt to me like a game which could have been 2-4 and whilst we did play well for large parts, I still think any opposition scout watching that would be able to highlight several weaknesses. 

I must admit I didn't see the energy. I saw some quite quick movement of the ball, but little player movement in attack, and when we lost the ball absolutely no pressure on the man in possession once he entered our third of the pitch. 

I think we did well against a good side. But, but, I look at us and think we really are a good side. Nigh on every man on that pitch was every bit a championship player. We really shouldn't be fearing Sheff Weds; teams should be thinking 'Christ, see their team and bench, don't fancy going to Ashton Gate'. 

A draw was the right result. Acknowledge Tammy, Brownhill, Hegeler could have scored. But it's still our profligacy which worries me and our defence too. 

I think had we not of been on this run I'd have been critical of some of the points you raise.

In the second half the whole stadium applauded that we pressed them right back to their own goal.

47 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Apart from the first 10 mins, I agree. A good nights work. Great to stop the rot and we'll deserved a creditable draw. 

Well done City. Great spirit. 

I thought we started well in the first 10, then backed off too much.

Thought we were very good in patches, but only patches.

Ok LT may have been in wrong position to start but main thing was he was playing and the difference in the distant 25 mins was significant from recent weeks .

felt like earlier in season and this is a decent result against a strong side . 

Mark Little played his heart out and I thought he was better than recently and carrying an injury 

cOYR . We will beat Rotherham and you may say , " and so we should " but a win is absolutely essential for morale as we go into massive games in Feb .

well done city . Performance and the point way more important than whose the manager and fine tuning tactics 

41 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Just felt that Johnson getting the line up wrong from that start gave them a head start. Tomlin was playing like a right wing back, with little playing right back. Odowda moves to the left, having had a good game against Burnley on the right. I liked the look of the team that finished. Thought Bryan was better than usual on the left, which I don't usually think is where he should play, but did decent apart from that awful cross on the free kick. Wednesday are a top side, and we probably slightly edged it chances wise. Would say they looked the better side though. Good point, but need some wins.

Tbf, think he wanted a right footed player on the right and left footed on the left. Tomlin should be good enough anywhere though he did become more into it after the switch but at least he admitted his mistake early enough. Think Cotterill coming in fixes this up and today was an example of why we want versatile players so we can change things up when it isn't working. 

I'm afraid I thought we were okay. 

Tomlin & Tammy linked up well and I thought our full backs had good games - especiallybGolbourne who was my MOTM. 

I was less than impressed by Brownhill & ODowda though, thought they gave the ball away too often. Hegeler didnt live up to his hype either.

The problems Came when Wednesday had the ball. They looked dangerous & we often looked prone to an error. I'd have liked to have seen us press them like they pressed us but they seemed to have much more time on the ball. 

As for the goalie, I can assure you that if he plays like that we're going to get relegated. Without a doubt. 

Overall, not bad, but I'm wondering if the people who're saying we played well have just been blinded by a mild improvement on the shit we've been playing for the past few months. 

1 minute ago, Up The City! said:

I think had we not of been on this run I'd have been critical of some of the points you raise.

In the second half the whole stadium applauded that we pressed them right back to their own goal.

I'm just a miserable bastard :) 

I'm so happy with a point, and I really, really, really want LJ to succeed.

However I left thinking we made many of the same mistakes that have got us here, lucky they didn't have a Pilkington strike etc. Their bringing on of McManamun felt a bit like Hoilett for example. 

It felt like whilst we got the point, it was a half step forward and there is still more work to do. Perhaps it is psychological and a confidence thing which that game will help, but if I was LJ I must implore someone, please someone, get in their face rather than relying on closing off all the options for the man on the ball. Whilst we did do that in the last 10, it's far more difficult to track runs than to force them backwards - which by my recollection we did only sparingly. 

22 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

A few critical comments on here, seriously what did people expect us to play like after all those defeats?

Personally I was absolutely delighted with ourperformance, we started off with a real high energy and that continued throughout the game apart from ten mins after their 1St goal.

We really could and should have won against a good top 6 side. Im not even going to mention any negatives because I've never seen a team on such a bad run put in such a great performance. 

It's not often I agree with you mate but we did well tonight... progress at least!!

A mild improvement is an improvement . This isn't going to be easy and we are in a relegation fight but there were signs tonight , and in LT we had the one thing missing , ability to penetrate , provide better service for Tammy . We have not had that since Lt form went downhill .

small steps better than none 

21 minutes ago, Londoner said:

We were very average but let off by the atrocious Carvahal decision to bring on Nhuiu or whatever his name is.

It ruined them, unfortunately for us we beought on djuric who is potentially the slowest least mobike footballer ive ever seen.

I really like Djuric, and I believe he's got 3 key assists since he's been here. Good team player, mobile and wins plenty in the air. His goal scoring record is about one in five in club football and one in two at international, that's ok by me. Get somebody in who can cross a ball and we'll be in clover!

32 minutes ago, Der no.2 said:

Yes exactly, wrong set-up from the off. Expecting Lee T to track back is not the best use of his energy. Would like to see Flinty taking more command and bossing the defence more, pushing Mark L out closer to his wide man when they have cover in the middle.

Somer fiercer tackling would not go amiss. Why not start Milan D upfront with Tammy from the off?

Overall lot better than previous weeks.

COYRs!!

Yep, LJ set up wrong, but he changed it...sort of "fair enough" I guess.  Most of us know by now that Litts needs industry in front of him.  He did pretty well after we went 4411.

Tomlin - great in spells, but also had an anonymous spell in second half when he stated right, when we were making a lot of progress down their left.  I wanted him over there to provide the cutting edge.  In fairness though, after illness he put in as good a shift as I'd hoped, and there were some magical moments.  Perhaps he sees it being 'hero time' again.  Let's hope so.

We were too lightweight.  Look at the three cynical yellows Lees, Loovens and Bannan got...we give away yellows in silly, needless scenarios.  Lees should've been booked for the penalty too.  Tammy was roughed up tonight...so impressed with his attitude and willingness to get battered.

20 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Tomlin & Tammy linked up well and I thought our full backs had good games - especiallybGolbourne who was my MOTM. 

I was less than impressed by Brownhill & ODowda though, thought they gave the ball away too often. Hegeler didnt live up to his hype either.

The problems Came when Wednesday had the ball. They looked dangerous & we often looked prone to an error. I'd have liked to have seen us press them like they pressed us but they seemed to have much more time on the ball. 

As for the goalie, I can assure you that if he plays like that we're going to get relegated. Without a doubt. 

Overall, not bad, but I'm wondering if the people who're saying we played well have just been blinded by a mild improvement on the shit we've been playing for the past few months. 

Funny, I thought Golbourne was below par tonight.  Thought his distribution second half was poor and rushed when he didn't need to be.  As above Little did well once his mate moved central!

Brownhill not at his recent level tonight, but kept going.  A bit too keen to pass responsibility (and the ball) when I'd prefer him to show a bit more willingness to take it on himself.

O'Dowda, steady enough.  Hegeler, a bit subdued, but after his cock-up, you could see he was desperate to make amends.  Almost had his Wade MK moment.  You can see him organising his teem-mates and that is what we've lacked.

Flint - I thought he had a really, really poor game tonight.  Allowed his man (either Winnall or Forestieri) to come and get short balls without any pressure, wasnt dominant in the air, and seemed indecisive tonight.  Hoping it's him getting used to playing alongside Bailey, who in the main was decent, solid enough.  We didn't look assured under long straight balls tonight.

Joe, a mixed night, but can't fault his effort, and in the main something to build on.  Great swinger for Tammy's goal.  Good habit to get into in terms of getting into advanced positions and goal scoring opportunities.

Giefer - I just hope he's finding it difficult to adjust to England.  I'll see what he's like Saturday.

49 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

It's not often I agree with you mate but we did well tonight... progress at least!!

Today felt like it was almost a win? I entered the stadium excited and left feeling I had watched a really good game of football. 

Competing with teams in the top 6 is what I want to see us doing each and every week. 

In our current situation that's as close to a perfect performance as were gonna get.

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

We were very average but let off by the atrocious Carvahal decision to bring on Nhuiu or whatever his name is.

It ruined them, unfortunately for us we beought on djuric who is potentially the slowest least mobike footballer ive ever seen.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Sorry, unless you genuinely meant "least like a motorbike footballer" then I have to pull you up here. Djuric isn't there to have pace to burn, to be mobile etc. He's there to hold the ball up, flick the ball on and take the hits. He did all that well, and used his lack of motor-bikeability to close down and win the ball on more than one occasion.

By all means slate him for not doing his job, but don't slate him for not doing what isn't his job

Phew.. for a moment there I thought Londoner was doing an accurate and disappointing summation of the fella. Hope you are right; others seem to have joined in your view as well.

46 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I really like Djuric, and I believe he's got 3 key assists since he's been here. Good team player, mobile and wins plenty in the air. His goal scoring record is about one in five in club football and one in two at international, that's ok by me. Get somebody in who can cross a ball and we'll be in clover!

Cotts is back.. any good for that job? Lets hope so.

8 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Totally agree, thought he did a good job when he came on.

Top attitude too.

9 hours ago, DaveF said:

I thought we deserved to win tonight, gave away two extremely soft goals but I thought we were pretty comfortable apart from that... Hegeler was unlucky and Tammy could have had 1 or 2.

We'll beat Rotherham if we play like that.

Sorry for being positive...

How do you get this coloured box around you posts?

9 hours ago, Londoner said:

Oddly, what I was most impressed by in Djuric last night was his willingness to run.  He's ungainly, but he's not slow...

8 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I think this is pretty much how I felt.  I was also underwhelmed by Brownhill and O'Dowda, particularly the latter who I haven't seen do pretty much anything worthwhile in a City shirt.  Hegeler wandered about imperiously, achieving very little and looking pretty unfit in the second half, if you ask me.  His square pass which was intercepted for their second goal was a schoolboy error.  I thought he looked better on the right side of a back three, and would have Pack in the holding midfield position.

9 hours ago, DaveF said:

I thought we deserved to win tonight, gave away two extremely soft goals but I thought we were pretty comfortable apart from that... Hegeler was unlucky and Tammy could have had 1 or 2.

We'll beat Rotherham if we play like that.

Sorry for being positive...

Enjoyed the game. Inpresssed with Wednesday a proper footballing side , kept the ball moving and moving forward, fair play to the numbers they brought . 

Better atmoshere . Why can't every game be like last nights?

Tomlin outstanding, not sure if he's a winger!!!

8 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I like Djuric too - he won't score many but will set up a lot I think.

Glad someone else picked up on him. My first view of him last night and I was impressed with him. I agree not sure he will score loads but won headers and hold up play and work rate was excellent.

2 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Funny how people seem to have a different outlook on a performance..Fair play.

I thought City were poor. Without Tomlin city had absolutely nothing, he created the penalty himself with another great run.

Citys 2nd goal was pure luck..but hey they need some.

All in all Wednesday were unlucky not to take all three points. If it finished 2-1 to them, most people would think that was fair.

How many saves did the Wednesday keeper make - none was it?

City had no idea how to attack down each flank, unlike Wednesday who tore City apart down the left hand side. 

To look at your points in a slightly more positive way you could say we have them both their goals through mistakes and they actually created very little.

We missed 4 decent chances with Hegeler off the line, two for Tammy and the Brownhill offside.

How many saves did Giefer make - none was it?

4 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

I thought City were poor. Without Tomlin city had absolutely nothing, he created the penalty himself with another great run.

All in all Wednesday were unlucky not to take all three points. If it finished 2-1 to them, most people would think that was fair.

City had no idea how to attack down each flank, unlike Wednesday who tore City apart down the left hand side. 

He didn't make many saves tbf but hegeler had one cleared off the line and tammy should have had another

11 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

How many chances did we miss? Tammy missed 2 great chances along with the Haegler one. we certainly deserved something from that game.

7 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Not interested in how many Giefer made - its the other end that counts!!! As I said without Tomlin last night city had nothing. One man show.

I can't take you seriously with this line!

Thought we had flaws last night but overall pretty decent.

Last night was not bad in possession, Tomlin good- most of the side put in a shift too, more about stopping the rot really. The team stuck at it and the fans stuck with the team. Could be a very valuable point in the scheme of things. Systems and shapes are all important but most importantly was the spirit. The spirit of players and fans was good.

Archived