IGNORED

I thought we were quite good...

DaveF

I thought we deserved to win tonight, gave away two extremely soft goals but I thought we were pretty comfortable apart from that... Hegeler was unlucky and Tammy could have had 1 or 2.

We'll beat Rotherham if we play like that.

Sorry for being positive...

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Apart from the first 10 mins, I agree. A good nights work. Great to stop the rot and we'll deserved a creditable draw. 

Well done City. Great spirit. 

I thought we started well, then dropped off between 10 - 25 mins before switching Tomlin into the middle.

I was rather unimpressed. 

Honestly:

-movement; absolutely woeful. Few, few players gave options to the man on the ball

- intensity; zero. There was no crunching tackle you'd expect of a team battling. The man on the ball still given ridiculous time to find a pass. 

- width; narrow af. It's quite incredible also that whilst we give the man on the ball no pressure we still don't mark the other outfield opposition tightly enough. Wingers regularly given 10 yards of space as we played so narrow. 

I think we were good for a draw, had some really good possession spells but we absolutely looked rabbits in the headlights out of possession , didn't make it difficult for them in the firnal third and didn't give ourselves options with movement in their half. 

That's my damning report anyway  I'm probably overplaying it because there were a lot of positives too; Hegeler bar a mistake, Tomlin, even Mark Little bar being clearly instructed to defend like we have 5cbs out of possession had a solid game. 

Overall, 6/10 I reckon  

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Just felt that Johnson getting the line up wrong from that start gave them a head start. Tomlin was playing like a right wing back, with little playing right back. Odowda moves to the left, having had a good game against Burnley on the right. I liked the look of the team that finished. Thought Bryan was better than usual on the left, which I don't usually think is where he should play, but did decent apart from that awful cross on the free kick. Wednesday are a top side, and we probably slightly edged it chances wise. Would say they looked the better side though. Good point, but need some wins.

So true.

The tactics for the first 25 minutes were mystifying. To the plankton sat behind me in the Dolman giving Mark Little a hard time Tomlin was consistently making no attempt at all to track his runner, leaving him with two or even three Wednesday players to deal with on his own.

When the hard working O'Dowda moved over there instead, (Bryan to the left, Tomlin in the hole) at least he had cover and some support.

A much better balanced side (even with a left footer on the right) then went toe to toe with a decent side and got a deserved point, even with a ridiculous tactical line up for 25 minutes..

8 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I thought we started well, then dropped off between 10 - 25 mins before switching Tomlin into the middle.

Actually, yes. That's spot on. 

I had a 2 year old climbing on me, so didn't catch the times. 

Now you say it, that right. 

To come back, twice, from losing positions, at home, on the back of 8 straight losses, against a really good team is some doing. Draws at home are always a bit 'meh' but a really strong show of character. 

Main against Rotherham Saturday and 4 points from 2 games is progress..

12 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Actually going to blame LJ for starting Tomlin wide right , Little had 2 on 1 because he didn't track back, it stretched the midfield and Bannan had acres of space and controlled the game. When Tomlin went inside and dropped off Tammy, Bannan didn't have so much space and O'dowda tracked back really well helping little out . We looked much better after that imo.

Just now, steviestevieneville said:

Actually going to blame LJ for starting Tomlin wide right , Little had 2 on 1 because he didn't track back, it stretched the midfield and Bannan had acres of space and controlled the game. When Tomlin went inside and dropped off Tammy, Bannan didn't have so much space and O'dowda tracked back really well helping little out . We looked much better after that imo.

Yeah I agree, when I saw the line up I was sure we would line up 4-4-1-1 with O'Dowda and Bryan out wide and Tomlin in the hole. I was surprised to see Tomlin out wide and I'm glad LJ changed things reasonably quickly!

5 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Draw was fair result. We had little interest in winning game in the end - shame.

But it all about beating Rotherham now.

But they had huge interest in not losing it.

As the clock went into the last 10 minutes you felt Sheffied W getting stronger and we were going to crumble, almost inevitable. Then I think the crowd pulled them over the line, we believed and so did they. I don't think this would have happened if we didn't have the Feelgood Taylor effect.

The more I think about it the more I realise what a great bit of business it is, and a huge PR coup by the club. Very clever.

23 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I thought we deserved to win tonight, gave away two extremely soft goals but I thought we were pretty comfortable apart from that... Hegeler was unlucky and Tammy could have had 1 or 2.

We'll beat Rotherham if we play like that.

Sorry for being positive...

Be careful, we don't want an outbreak of morale.

Now duck because no doubt you'll be taking flak - in coming

15 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I was rather unimpressed. 

Honestly:

-movement; absolutely woeful. Few, few players gave options to the man on the ball

- intensity; zero. There was no crunching tackle you'd expect of a team battling. The man on the ball still given ridiculous time to find a pass. 

- width; narrow af. It's quite incredible also that whilst we give the man on the ball no pressure we still don't mark the other outfield opposition tightly enough. Wingers regularly given 10 yards of space as we played so narrow. 

I think we were good for a draw, had some really good possession spells but we absolutely looked rabbits in the headlights out of possession , didn't make it difficult for them in the firnal third and didn't give ourselves options with movement in their half. 

That's my damning report anyway  I'm probably overplaying it because there were a lot of positives too; Hegeler bar a mistake, Tomlin, even Mark Little bar being clearly instructed to defend like we have 5cbs out of possession had a solid game. 

Overall, 6/10 I reckon  

I'd also add in the ineffective partnership of Bryan and Golbourne. Poor/slow decision making and positioning, no use of overlap and desperately poor delivery. 

Worrying we have 6 forwards when we needed two dependable fullbacks and wide midfielders.

1 minute ago, DaveF said:

Yeah I agree, when I saw the line up I was sure we would line up 4-4-1-1 with O'Dowda and Bryan out wide and Tomlin in the hole. I was surprised to see Tomlin out wide and I'm glad LJ changed things reasonably quickly!

Yeah we looked better after he changed it . Think the first goal came from us being set wrong to start with though as we seemed light in midfield and Bannan ran from deep in midfield and wasn't tracked . Good point in the end though, big relief. Oh and the gas are crying :laughcont:

A few critical comments on here, seriously what did people expect us to play like after all those defeats?

Personally I was absolutely delighted with ourperformance, we started off with a real high energy and that continued throughout the game apart from ten mins after their 1St goal.

We really could and should have won against a good top 6 side. Im not even going to mention any negatives because I've never seen a team on such a bad run put in such a great performance. 

30 minutes ago, RichW said:

I'd also add in the ineffective partnership of Bryan and Golbourne. Poor/slow decision making and positioning, no use of overlap and desperately poor delivery. 

Worrying we have 6 forwards when we needed two dependable fullbacks and wide midfielders.

It shows the intelligence within this division.

Anyone scouting us recently would have said chuck the kitchen sink down the right but, as soon as Little got some support and looked composed, it was actually down the left they continued to attack and we looked suspect. 

My opinion is that Little gets it a little more rough than deserves.

Our problem is our lack of pressing and intensity.

We allow the guy on the ball too much time - in fact I'd say our backing off is non-league quality - which means attackers have the time to get on the front foot and get played in by a man with any modicum of a footballing brain. If we closed down the attacker and had a terrier in the middle it would really help our wingbacks.

Just as in attack we need Tomlin in a free role to move about in defence we need a CM who will run himself in to the ground just chasing the ball and getting into their face whilst the other defensive 5 can stick with their man. The lack of that player means opponents are always a step ahead when we're are in defence. 

Thought it was a great improvement, better passing game and team performance, not a huge fan of Tomlin, usually come across as lazy but played well for the team tonight, little deserves a mention, watching him it was obvious he was not anywhere near match fit and in pain, but he still tried thoughout

2 minutes ago, Londoner said:

We were very average but let off by the atrocious Carvahal decision to bring on Nhuiu or whatever his name is.

It ruined them, unfortunately for us we beought on djuric who is potentially the slowest least mobike footballer ive ever seen.

Very average? Wow, I thought we gave a very good Wednesday side who were dripping with premier league quality a bloody good run for their money!!! Far from very average !

29 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Just felt that Johnson getting the line up wrong from that start gave them a head start. Tomlin was playing like a right wing back, with little playing right back. Odowda moves to the left, having had a good game against Burnley on the right. I liked the look of the team that finished. Thought Bryan was better than usual on the left, which I don't usually think is where he should play, but did decent apart from that awful cross on the free kick. Wednesday are a top side, and we probably slightly edged it chances wise. Would say they looked the better side though. Good point, but need some wins.

Yes exactly, wrong set-up from the off. Expecting Lee T to track back is not the best use of his energy. Would like to see Flinty taking more command and bossing the defence more, pushing Mark L out closer to his wide man when they have cover in the middle.

Somer fiercer tackling would not go amiss. Why not start Milan D upfront with Tammy from the off?

Overall lot better than previous weeks.

COYRs!!

8 minutes ago, RedM said:

But they had huge interest in not losing it.

As the clock went into the last 10 minutes you felt Sheffied W getting stronger and we were going to crumble, almost inevitable. Then I think the crowd pulled them over the line, we believed and so did they. I don't think this would have happened if we didn't have the Feelgood Taylor effect.

The more I think about it the more I realise what a great bit of business it is, and a huge PR coup by the club. Very clever.

I walked into the stadium tonight having that feel good factor back that I had at the start of the season.

3 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

A few critical comments on here, seriously what did people expect us to play like after all those defeats?

Personally I was absolutely delighted with ourperformance, we started off with a real high energy and that continued throughout the game apart from ten mins after their 1St goal.

We really could and should have won against a good top 6 side. Im not even going to mention any negatives because I've never seen a team on such a bad run put in such a great performance. 

That's fair enough. I am being critical which I totally acknowledge, but that felt to me like a game which could have been 2-4 and whilst we did play well for large parts, I still think any opposition scout watching that would be able to highlight several weaknesses. 

I must admit I didn't see the energy. I saw some quite quick movement of the ball, but little player movement in attack, and when we lost the ball absolutely no pressure on the man in possession once he entered our third of the pitch. 

I think we did well against a good side. But, but, I look at us and think we really are a good side. Nigh on every man on that pitch was every bit a championship player. We really shouldn't be fearing Sheff Weds; teams should be thinking 'Christ, see their team and bench, don't fancy going to Ashton Gate'. 

A draw was the right result. Acknowledge Tammy, Brownhill, Hegeler could have scored. But it's still our profligacy which worries me and our defence too. 

4 minutes ago, Londoner said:

We were very average but let off by the atrocious Carvahal decision to bring on Nhuiu or whatever his name is.

It ruined them, unfortunately for us we beought on djuric who is potentially the slowest least mobike footballer ive ever seen.

Sorry, unless you genuinely meant "least like a motorbike footballer" then I have to pull you up here. Djuric isn't there to have pace to burn, to be mobile etc. He's there to hold the ball up, flick the ball on and take the hits. He did all that well, and used his lack of motor-bikeability to close down and win the ball on more than one occasion.

By all means slate him for not doing his job, but don't slate him for not doing what isn't his job

Archived