IGNORED

No new fullbacks

formerly known as ivan

5 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Disappointed with this as Liitle and Golbourne clearly not good enough and got torn to pieces at times tonight.

Decent window all things considered by worried fullbacks may cost us over the remainder of the season. 

To be honest I would'nt want to play right back with lee Tomlin playing in front of me!!! I thought little was brave today. He put in a decent performance and he was very exposed due to tactics not to do with his play. 

We have little, Matthews and vyner at right back and goldbourne , Bryan and potentially magnuson on the left ? 

I think if we get it right tactically the squad and the full backs if fit are good enough to get us up the table.

1 minute ago, deadredfred said:

LJ's first half tactics were the only thing that tore Little to pieces tonight. 

Yep, if Little had a solid right mid/winger in front of him who knew their defensive responsibilities he wouldn't look so overwhelmed  

Tomlin left him out to dry that first 20 mins. Was much more solid once COD was in front of him. 

Not sure what LJ was thinking having a recovering from illness Tomlin on the wing. He hardly tracks back when at his peak, crazy decision. 

2 minutes ago, RedSA said:

Yep, if Little had a solid right mid/winger in front of him who knew their defensive responsibilities he wouldn't look so overwhelmed  

Tomlin left him out to dry that first 20 mins. Was much more solid once COD was in front of him. 

Not sure what LJ was thinking having a recovering from illness Tomlin on the wing. He hardly tracks back when at his peak, crazy decision. 

At times it looked like Little was the right man in a back 3, with Tomlin at RWB. Crazy setup. 

Im not Little's biggest fan, but that was just unfair on him. As much as he absolutely terrifies me everytime he gets the ball or tries to win it back, he made some good tackles second half and a great last ditch interception. Credit to him. 

Yes the first 25 minutes Little had no protection but still isn't good enough at this level. Let many crosses come in without even getting near to the Wednesday players. 

He has had a season and a half at this level and isn't good enough hence why we brought Matthews last season.  I'm not saying Vyner is the answer but be interested to see him guide a run of games.  

8 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

At times it looked like Little was the right man in a back 3, with Tomlin at RWB. Crazy setup. 

Im not Little's biggest fan, but that was just unfair on him. As much as he absolutely terrifies me everytime he gets the ball or tries to win it back, he made some good tackles second half and a great last ditch interception. Credit to him. 

I'm guilty of heat of the moment reactions regarding little but often his problems stem from others not doing their job. wholehearted, but limited. If the rest of the squad matched his determination I wouldn't be worrying about relegation.

30 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I'm guilty of heat of the moment reactions regarding little but often his problems stem from others not doing their job. wholehearted, but limited. If the rest of the squad matched his determination I wouldn't be worrying about relegation.

If LJ asked me to play my determination would a 100% but unfortunately that determination doesn't transfer into ability.

Watching tonight my opinion moved. I think we are good enough on our wide defenders  

SG had a mare tbf but seen enough of him to be convinced he's good enough. 

ML had a v good game except for one thing. He was too narrow in defence. I think quite clear that's an instruction however - SG was similar - so I don't judge him on that. That's for the gaffer. 

Our problem is very simple. If their player is within 40 yards of the goal we do not put them under pressure. We focus on marking players than forcing man in possession to pass the ball under pressure. This means man in possession has enough time to look up, look both flanks, wait for winger to show any indication of movement, play in to space  and our wide players then are  either too narrow or on the flat foot v a mover. 

Change tactics, get a CDM with a free role in defence to shadow the ball and shadow the man in possession, I think our defence all round would look significantly more solid. 

LJ's presentation shows trying to win the ball back within 6 seconds of relinquishing possession. Sorry to say, I saw no evidence of that in 3 months. Had we done that, we'd have won many points in this run... possibly even the game tonight too  

26 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Watching tonight my opinion moved. I think we are good enough on our wide defenders  

SG had a mare tbf but seen enough of him to be convinced he's good enough. 

ML had a v good game except for one thing. He was too narrow in defence. I think quite clear that's an instruction however - SG was similar - so I don't judge him on that. That's for the gaffer. 

Our problem is very simple. If their player is within 40 yards of the goal we do not put them under pressure. We focus on marking players than forcing man in possession to pass the ball under pressure. This means man in possession has enough time to look up, look both flanks, wait for winger to show any indication of movement, play in to space  and our wide players then are  either too narrow or on the flat foot v a mover. 

Change tactics, get a CDM with a free role in defence to shadow the ball and shadow the man in possession, I think our defence all round would look significantly more solid. 

LJ's presentation shows trying to win the ball back within 6 seconds of relinquishing possession. Sorry to say, I saw no evidence of that in 3 months. Had we done that, we'd have won many points in this run... possibly even the game tonight too  

We did aim to get the ball back within seconds of losing it and keeping possession but for me that vanished after Cardiff away,  hopefully we have it again

First half SW knew that our right side was the weakest link and exposed the gaps out wide time and time again. I don't know what was said to Little at half time but he was transformed in the second half with little change in the cover in front of him.

Is he truly a Championship RB? No. But he is determined and a strong tackler who can get forward. However the Adam Matthews of last season was definitely a cut above either of them this season. As for Vyner hopefully some game time has improved him, compared to last season's rabbit in the headlights against Brighton.

Right back - Guess we were trying in Europe, as suggested, but failed to get the signing over the line

Then Freeman leaves and we switched to getting a replacement there.  Failed with Southampton winger and then managed to scrape Cotterill over the line on loan.  

We still need a reliable goalie (Is this the only time we have played 5 goalies in one season?), aright full back, a centre half replacement for Flint (said before poor quality compared to our previous centre halves at this level).

10 hours ago, deadredfred said:

LJ's first half tactics were the only thing that tore Little to pieces tonight. 

If he had been offered the slightest bit of cover from the person in front of him, that wouldn't have been the case.

And somehow I doubt LJ tells our LM to give cover but tells our RM not to.

Everyone, LJ included ,knows that Little is limited at this level but what he does offer is physicality and endeavour.

He is getting that back after his shoulder injury and without those attributes he was a waste of space in the team.

He will most likely walk in the summer as, I believe he is out of contract but not every player in the team can be a worldbeater but the ' water carriers ' are just as important as the stars .

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

If he had been offered the slightest bit of cover from the person in front of him, that wouldn't have been the case.

And somehow I doubt LJ tells our LM to give cover but tells our RM not to.

Not sure whether you're agreeing with me or not?

The point I was making was that Little was exposed through no fault of his own. Tomlin was supposedly on duty to offer Little the protection that JB was to Golbourne. I think that's the point you're making. 

The problem was, LJ gave Tomlin defensive duties on the right hand side, as well as seemingly the expectation to get forward and create. Recent illness aside, Tomlin doesn't have that in his locker. He's much better used for his creativity. A luxury perhaps, but he didn't, and isn't suited to that role. Little did much better second half when he had some protection. 

Therefore, only LJ's tactics to blame for Little being under the cosh. No player can mark two men at once. 

11 hours ago, Spoons said:

To be honest I would'nt want to play right back with lee Tomlin playing in front of me!!! I thought little was brave today. He put in a decent performance and he was very exposed due to tactics not to do with his play. 

We have little, Matthews and vyner at right back and goldbourne , Bryan and potentially magnuson on the left ? 

I think if we get it right tactically the squad and the full backs if fit are good enough to get us up the table.

Although i think you are completely right with Tomlin being in front of him and being exposed before we changed it around, i do believe that Little just doesn't have a calmness on the ball and is often way out of position. For me he is the weakest part of our team. He is often very rash with his decision making and has cost us a bagful of goals this season. The annoying thing with little is that i think with a bit more confidence in his ability he has the attributes to be a good wing back. Hes strong and has pace on his side. I just think he is at the moment a little bit panicky on the ball and lacks that confidence so when hes trying to pull something off it isnt paying off for him. I also think that the role needs to be a bit more defined to him so he understands his duties. I.E when hes facing an attacker down the wing is he expected to push tight on him and close him down or not.... or when hes pushing up when is it the right time to trigger a wing back attack etc. He is often making the wrong decisions at the wrong times.... (this is something that can be worked on in training.) 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Everyone, LJ included ,knows that Little is limited at this level but what he does offer is physicality and endeavour.

He is getting that back after his shoulder injury and without those attributes he was a waste of space in the team.

He will most likely walk in the summer as, I believe he is out of contract but not every player in the team can be a worldbeater but the ' water carriers ' are just as important as the stars .

Agree with this. Hope he will benefit from having Cotterill in front of him. Also think Vyner may get a bit of a run in the side.

Archived