IGNORED

No new fullbacks

formerly known as ivan

1 hour ago, deadredfred said:

Not sure whether you're agreeing with me or not?

The point I was making was that Little was exposed through no fault of his own. Tomlin was supposedly on duty to offer Little the protection that JB was to Golbourne. I think that's the point you're making. 

The problem was, LJ gave Tomlin defensive duties on the right hand side, as well as seemingly the expectation to get forward and create. Recent illness aside, Tomlin doesn't have that in his locker. He's much better used for his creativity. A luxury perhaps, but he didn't, and isn't suited to that role. Little did much better second half when he had some protection. 

Therefore, only LJ's tactics to blame for Little being under the cosh. No player can mark two men at once. 

No, that was O'Dowdas job.

O'Dowda not doing what he should have is what the problem was.

Tomlin dropped back very deep at times and did have to come back almost to RWB, but because O'Dowda wasn't doing his defensive work.

12 hours ago, RobArnold10 said:

Golbourne is steady, takes a lot of unwarranted criticism, and replacing him for me wasn't a priority this window... big issues at RB though.

Agree. Others seem to get cut a bit more slack don't they which is surprising as he really is one of our own and a fan (not that means anything just saying like). Solid Champ standard fullback playing in a team shot of confidence and not a great deal of protection at times.

40 minutes ago, norwichrobin said:

Left back

Kieron Richardson free agent, get him on a pay as you play deal

We need an old head, burnley showed yet again we haven't the knowledge to run the clock down

Would earn us 6 points this season, perhaps enough to keep us up

Not his agent mind but the thread was on full backs

We had him in on trial in the summer & let him go. Cardiff then signed him on short term deal before being released a few weeks back.

15 hours ago, deadredfred said:

At times it looked like Little was the right man in a back 3, with Tomlin at RWB. Crazy setup. 

Im not Little's biggest fan, but that was just unfair on him. As much as he absolutely terrifies me everytime he gets the ball or tries to win it back, he made some good tackles second half and a great last ditch interception. Credit to him. 

I feel the same way. I thought he had a good second half.

4 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

No, that was O'Dowdas job.

O'Dowda not doing what he should have is what the problem was.

Tomlin dropped back very deep at times and did have to come back almost to RWB, but because O'Dowda wasn't doing his defensive work.

The teamsheet posted in the match day thread contradicts this formation - has it down as 4-2-3-1. 

Either way it doesn't matter, the point is, and this is often the case, ML suffers from having no wide player in front of him.

He is a limited player but there seems to be at times (not necessarily in this thread) a classic OTIB style scapegoating of ML. He might not be the answer but he isn't half as bad as some make out. 

19 hours ago, 29AR said:

Watching tonight my opinion moved. I think we are good enough on our wide defenders  

SG had a mare tbf but seen enough of him to be convinced he's good enough. 

ML had a v good game except for one thing. He was too narrow in defence. I think quite clear that's an instruction however - SG was similar - so I don't judge him on that. That's for the gaffer. 

Our problem is very simple. If their player is within 40 yards of the goal we do not put them under pressure. We focus on marking players than forcing man in possession to pass the ball under pressure. This means man in possession has enough time to look up, look both flanks, wait for winger to show any indication of movement, play in to space  and our wide players then are  either too narrow or on the flat foot v a mover. 

Change tactics, get a CDM with a free role in defence to shadow the ball and shadow the man in possession, I think our defence all round would look significantly more solid. 

LJ's presentation shows trying to win the ball back within 6 seconds of relinquishing possession. Sorry to say, I saw no evidence of that in 3 months. Had we done that, we'd have won many points in this run... possibly even the game tonight too  

Not sure where the highlighted comment comes from!  I thought SG was our man-of-the-match by a country mile.

Their first goal was a lofted pass into SG's area so I'd have to review the highlights to see if he was at fault but, otherwise, I don't think he made a mistake.  He kept their wingers quiet, tracked them down, and kept tracking them down, unlike the rest who gave up after the first attempted tackle.

SG seems to me to be an intelligent player who you can generally rely on.  Unlike Bryan, Reid and Little.

2 hours ago, Chivs said:

Not sure where the highlighted comment comes from!  I thought SG was our man-of-the-match by a country mile.

Their first goal was a lofted pass into SG's area so I'd have to review the highlights to see if he was at fault but, otherwise, I don't think he made a mistake.  He kept their wingers quiet, tracked them down, and kept tracking them down, unlike the rest who gave up after the first attempted tackle.

SG seems to me to be an intelligent player who you can generally rely on.  Unlike Bryan, Reid and Little.

You and @Fordy62 both thought Golbourne had a good game last night.  I normally defend him, but I didn't think he was quite as steady as he normally is.

Whether something was changed at Half-time, I don't know, but he didn't go as side to receive the ball, sitting 10-15 yards inside.  This meant he had an angle to play it to Bryan, and we got up the pitch fairly easily at times.  That was a plus point for me. He did hit a few over-rushed balls into Tammy that gave him no chance...when there were easier passes on.

Wouldn;t say he had a mare....more 5.5/10 than his usual 6.

10 hours ago, Chivs said:

Agreed. I thought he was rock solid. Even spared Bailey Wright's blushes on a couple of occasions when he was caught on the ball maurading forward. 

I like SG. Every time I've seen him play he's been solid. LB is definitely not an area of concern for me while he's fit. 

And while we're on the subject of full backs, I think Mark Little is OK, yes there may be room for an upgrade but generally I think he attracts far too much stick. 

On 31/01/2017 at 23:40, RobArnold10 said:

Golbourne is steady, takes a lot of unwarranted criticism, and replacing him for me wasn't a priority this window... big issues at RB though.

Have a feeling Dave Cottrill will be covering the rfb's ass.....hope he's feeling fit cos that's gonna rack up the mileage!

Archived