IGNORED

My school report on Lee Johnson last night

Red-Robbo

1 hour ago, Vespa Red said:

Were you influenced by the Lowry school?

So whilst waiting for a delivery of a car this afternoon...your suggestion made my mind wander. we've got some very distinct looking footballers in our squad now. With just a few strokes of a brush, you can give a 'suggestion' to who they are. Can you make out who's who?

col1.jpg

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

The latter suggestion would be my preference, CA. Attack, attack, Torah! Torah! Torah!

Hi RR,

Unless I have mistaken your incredibly deep theological analysis, you have the Pentateuch and the attack on Pearl Harbour mixed up!

Torah= Name given to the first five books in the Old Testament (Pentateuch)

Tora, Tora, Tora = Japanese code word for attacking Pearl Harbour and subsequent Hollywood blockbuster of the event. 

Looking forward to the Torah analogy of last night's game. How about. ...

Whilst LJ was singing a GENESIS song Mark Ashton Mark Ashton , our defence was singing EXODUS by Bob Marley.

LEE VITICUS Tomlin was brilliant.  At half time we were introduced to Matty Taylor who will be wearing the NUMBER(s) 12 shirt.

I missed the half time introduction DUE TO RON ERRR ME, sorry not Ron. Well you try getting Deuteronomy into something coherent!

Just now, Norn Iron said:

Hi RR,

Unless I have mistaken your incredibly deep theological analysis, you have the Pentateuch and the attack on Pearl Harbour mixed up!

Torah= Name given to the first five books in the Old Testament (Pentateuch)

Tora, Tora, Tora = Japanese code word for attacking Pearl Harbour and subsequent Hollywood blockbuster of the event. 

Looking forward to the Torah analogy of last night's game. How about. ...

Whilst LJ was singing a GENESIS song Mark Ashton Mark Ashton , our defence was singing EXODUS by Bob Marley.

LEE VITICUS Tomlin was brilliant.  At half time we were introduced to Matty Taylor who will be wearing the NUMBER(s) 12 shirt.

I missed the half time introduction DUE TO RON ERRR ME, sorry not Ron. Well you try getting Deuteronomy into something coherent!

I've read your reply religiously, NI. I'm sure you'll agree though that as Japanese is written in Nihongo script, not the Latin alphabet, you can spell Tora in any bleedin' way you want! ;)

1 hour ago, spudski said:

So whilst waiting for a delivery of a car this afternoon...your suggestion made my mind wander. we've got some very distinct looking footballers in our squad now. With just a few strokes of a brush, you can give a 'suggestion' to who they are. Can you make out who's who?

col1.jpg

Whoever it is on the far left of your picture should be in goal with arms that long. Is it Guy the Gorilla?

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

So, for me, there were pluses and minuses last night. The fact we arrested a horrendous losing streak can only be a good thing. On balance, I think we slightly edged the game and had the better chances. The goals conceded were clownish again, especially the first, but yet again emphasised that you cannot lose concentration when guys like Forestieri and Wallis are lurking - you will get punished. The players gave a really wholehearted performance, which was great to see after the Forest non-event, buoyed no doubt by a very encouraging crowd which was full of happy faces due to the Taylor news. The timing could not have been better.

Anyway, what did the head coach do?

CON: What was he thinking with that initial set-up?! Tomlin as the right midfield cover, but not too wide, leaving the team totally unbalanced and allowing Fox to run the game from his wing.       PRO: After about 20 minutes of embarrassment, he made the change, switching O'Dowda across the pitch. He was quick enough to cover the gaping hole in defence, and get forward for some tidy attacking moves. Tomlin was able to move more centrally and could actually affect the game, leading indirectly to our first goal.

CON: Tammy alone up front for too much of the match was isolated. I felt for the bloke, trying to force his way past three defenders with the rest of the City players about 50 feet behind him.   PRO: Djuric's introduction allowed the ball to be held up field more. The guy looks about as likely to score as I do from the stands, but when we do have two up front it causes the defence headaches they don't get when marking Tammy out of the game.

CON: Whatever he is, Josh Brownhill is not a defensive midfielder. If he was a Country & Western singer his signature tune would be "Stand off your man". Quite what Pack has done to justify his banishment I don't know.   PRO: When O'Neil came on, Brownhill was able to push up and - praise the Lord! - we started getting some crosses in.

CON: O'Dowda had been a creative force on the wing, as well as stopping Fox's runs (see point 1). Why take him off?      PRO: Allowed two up front (see point 2) and it came at a time when Wednesday were flagging.

CON: Tomlin had been our most creative player. Why was he subbed?   PRO: Back from illness and starting to look tired, I think Johnson got this right. GON allowed Brownhill to move up the field to where he could actually participate in the game.

CON: Bobby Reid is more likely to get goals than Jamie Paterson. Reid should have been on the bench.  PRO: It's an irrelevance really, they both were surplus to requirements last night.

CON: There was a brief, horrible few minutes at 2-2 where we reverted to the rabbit-in-headlights, everybody back and standing around the penalty box looking nervous but making no attempt to win the ball.     PRO: It only last 5 minutes this game. With encouragement from the very vocal crowd and the bench, the players snapped out of it and were actually still, you know, actually trying to win the game up to the final whistle!

Overall assessment for the head coach last night 6/10. He's still not really grasped his best team, or how to get the best from his players, but he did -on balance - affect the game more positively than negatively.

I still don't think he's the man for the job, but if he uses Taylor and Cotterell wisely, maybe there is a brighter future ahead. He has to convince us. Emphasise has to be given to defensive coaching. We just lose the plot and have moments of madness every game.

Sorry but we look far less threatening with Djuric up top. Everything becomes long ball and completely killed our attacking threat.

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

So, for me, there were pluses and minuses last night. The fact we arrested a horrendous losing streak can only be a good thing. On balance, I think we slightly edged the game and had the better chances. The goals conceded were clownish again, especially the first, but yet again emphasised that you cannot lose concentration when guys like Forestieri and Wallis are lurking - you will get punished. The players gave a really wholehearted performance, which was great to see after the Forest non-event, buoyed no doubt by a very encouraging crowd which was full of happy faces due to the Taylor news. The timing could not have been better.

Anyway, what did the head coach do?

CON: What was he thinking with that initial set-up?! Tomlin as the right midfield cover, but not too wide, leaving the team totally unbalanced and allowing Fox to run the game from his wing.       PRO: After about 20 minutes of embarrassment, he made the change, switching O'Dowda across the pitch. He was quick enough to cover the gaping hole in defence, and get forward for some tidy attacking moves. Tomlin was able to move more centrally and could actually affect the game, leading indirectly to our first goal.

CON: Tammy alone up front for too much of the match was isolated. I felt for the bloke, trying to force his way past three defenders with the rest of the City players about 50 feet behind him.   PRO: Djuric's introduction allowed the ball to be held up field more. The guy looks about as likely to score as I do from the stands, but when we do have two up front it causes the defence headaches they don't get when marking Tammy out of the game.

CON: Whatever he is, Josh Brownhill is not a defensive midfielder. If he was a Country & Western singer his signature tune would be "Stand off your man". Quite what Pack has done to justify his banishment I don't know.   PRO: When O'Neil came on, Brownhill was able to push up and - praise the Lord! - we started getting some crosses in.

CON: O'Dowda had been a creative force on the wing, as well as stopping Fox's runs (see point 1). Why take him off?      PRO: Allowed two up front (see point 2) and it came at a time when Wednesday were flagging.

CON: Tomlin had been our most creative player. Why was he subbed?   PRO: Back from illness and starting to look tired, I think Johnson got this right. GON allowed Brownhill to move up the field to where he could actually participate in the game.

CON: Bobby Reid is more likely to get goals than Jamie Paterson. Reid should have been on the bench.  PRO: It's an irrelevance really, they both were surplus to requirements last night.

CON: There was a brief, horrible few minutes at 2-2 where we reverted to the rabbit-in-headlights, everybody back and standing around the penalty box looking nervous but making no attempt to win the ball.     PRO: It only last 5 minutes this game. With encouragement from the very vocal crowd and the bench, the players snapped out of it and were actually still, you know, actually trying to win the game up to the final whistle!

Overall assessment for the head coach last night 6/10. He's still not really grasped his best team, or how to get the best from his players, but he did -on balance - affect the game more positively than negatively.

I still don't think he's the man for the job, but if he uses Taylor and Cotterell wisely, maybe there is a brighter future ahead. He has to convince us. Emphasise has to be given to defensive coaching. We just lose the plot and have moments of madness every game.

I think this is poor and displays a lack of undsrstanding in the players we have.

3 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Sorry but we look far less threatening with Djuric up top. Everything becomes long ball and completely killed our attacking threat.

Apart from the fact that we scored our one goal from open play after he came on you mean :facepalm:

I know what you mean about the sufdden deluge of long balls, but to be fair to Milan, he does hold some of those up and release them on for Tammy or Joe to run on to.

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

One of the reasons why perhaps a more experienced, semi-retired manager as a sort of unofficial DOF/adviser role might be useful. 

Pembo is a good guy, but at the end of the day, Lee's his superior. There's a limit to what you can do, how forcefully you can make your point. 

A non-contracted adviser - a kind of a consigliere in Mafia terms! - might help Lee find his feet.

Well Robbo,  Gary Owers was picking out everything that was wrong with the set up, tactics and decisions while summarising on RB last night.  Maybe he should get the job. I believe he is manager of Bath City at present, which means he doesn't have the talent to operate with, so maybe he could do better with our squad.

4 hours ago, spudski said:

col1.jpg

Why are a lot of players wearing hats?

6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

The latter suggestion would be my preference, CA. Attack, attack, Torah! Torah! Torah!

Two proven goalscorers waiting to receive crosses from two out-and-out wingers. Tomlin just behind, to pick up the loose balls and thread it through the middle.

We need a decent defensive midfield if we're going to sit that far forward and for me that means Hegeler + either GON or Pack.

Couldn't agree more , and now we've got more than enough quality for a Plan B (and C) if it goes tits up . 

The keeper is going to give me the jitters though ! 

8 hours ago, Swede said:

On Lee Johnson

I was looking for some tangible input from him last night bearing in mind all of the criticism he's [rightly] come in for recently.

There were problems early one with Litts & Tomlin on the right flank which he identified and changed with O'Dowda. Litts was not close enough to their wide player & Tomlin was not helping much.

Later on I would have taken off a visibly tiring Brownhill and brought Pack on to bolster the midfield but that would've been my only criticsm.

I was concerned when they brought a winger on against an increasingly exposed Litts but as their manager inexplicably counteracted that by bringing that lump on earlier he never won anything in the air & as a consequence he wasn't a threat.

Overall I was more than happy to stop the rot with a draw against a good opponent and really pleased for Lee Johnson's positive input  

yes brownhill tired without a doubt pack should have come on

Archived