IGNORED

Goals up on YouTube

Luxo Jr.

Now I can finally give my assessment on the goals.

Their first goal: That shows a few things. 4-4-2 with two holding midfielders seems ill-advised. Either Flint didn't track the run well enough or Wright completely lost his man, haven't totally decided. Keeper obviously has a shocker, BUT that's also partly because Little did not get his man. You watch the video, Forestieri clearly speeds past slack defending to get in. Goalkeeping mistake, yes, but he was only in two minds because Little's bad marking put him in a tricky situation.

Our first goal: credit to Tomlin for winning it. You have to look for penalties at this level. Not diving, but trying to create situations where you're likely to be fouled. Good job and good penalty.

Their second goal: Again, yes, bad pass by Hegeler, BUT they were able to take full advantage because Golbourne fell over and left his channel wide open (again, lets a Wednesday player fly right past him). If we had a whole back line facing that attack, it could have gone a whole different way.

Our second goal: What was Bailey Wright doing on the right wing??? Nevertheless, good that Bryan had the pop from outside the area, because you can get luck like this. At least we weren't passing it around the box, constantly trying to pass it in the net (unless this is what we did for the rest of the game).

Final note on Hegeler: he'll stay at holding midfielder. He seems to have already proved here and in the Bundesliga that he can play multiple positions, but I still see him as an upgrade on the midfielders we currently have.

Both goals conceded yet again showed the huge gaping hole that we leave in the middle third of the pitch, absolutely no midfield cover for either goal, it is something that has haunted us for most of this season and has to be sorted, we simply cannot surrender that amount of space in games, we need far more midfield leadership and discipline, otherwise we will continue to leak simple goals.

5 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Both goals conceded yet again showed the huge gaping hole that we leave in the middle third of the pitch, absolutely no midfield cover for either goal, it is something that has haunted us for most of this season and has to be sorted, we simply cannot surrender that amount of space in games, we need far more midfield leadership and discipline, otherwise we will continue to leak simple goals.

I think there's a chance the first goal could have been avoided had we used the 4-2-3-1 formation. Having said that, Wright was really the one who left us exposed for that one, really bad positioning. Got to agree about the second.

17 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Now I can finally give my assessment on the goals.

Their first goal: That shows a few things. 4-4-2 with two holding midfielders seems ill-advised. Either Flint didn't track the run well enough or Wright completely lost his man, haven't totally decided. Keeper obviously has a shocker, BUT that's also partly because Little did not get his man. You watch the video, Forestieri clearly speeds past slack defending to get in. Goalkeeping mistake, yes, but he was only in two minds because Little's bad marking put him in a tricky situation.

Our first goal: credit to Tomlin for winning it. You have to look for penalties at this level. Not diving, but trying to create situations where you're likely to be fouled. Good job and good penalty.

Their second goal: Again, yes, bad pass by Hegeler, BUT they were able to take full advantage because Golbourne fell over and left his channel wide open (again, lets a Wednesday player fly right past him). If we had a whole back line facing that attack, it could have gone a whole different way.

Our second goal: What was Bailey Wright doing on the right wing??? Nevertheless, good that Bryan had the pop from outside the area, because you can get luck like this. At least we weren't passing it around the box, constantly trying to pass it in the net (unless this is what we did for the rest of the game).

Final note on Hegeler: he'll stay at holding midfielder. He seems to have already proved here and in the Bundesliga that he can play multiple positions, but I still see him as an upgrade on the midfielders we currently have.

You weren't there then?

Brownhill should have been screaming for that ball from Hegeler...instead he went inside and got intercepted. Golbourne slipped...I'll forgive him that. But look at Little jauntering back...his man has gone inside and could have easily been another option for scoring.

I have only two concerns now for this season...our full back positions. Golbourne and Little are far too weak in this league to play week in week out with consistency. The amount of room Little gives opponents, I've seen similar with Flat sizes in London.

2 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

I think there's a chance the first goal could have been avoided had we used the 4-2-3-1 formation. Having said that, Wright was really the one who left us exposed for that one, really bad positioning. Got to agree about the second.

For the first goal the guy had the ball in his own half there was not a City player within 10/15 yards of him and as he floats his hopeful ball over the top and our 3 midfielders suddenly decide to come out has a unit to close him down and voila there is no cover left, our keeper is far too weak.

Agree with Johnson's comments after the game, don't think Giefer could have come and claimed the ball for the first goal, probably would have got there at a similar time to Reach or a bit later, staying in his goal was the right choice.

Thought I  saw it at the time and was right, just how far off his line Westwood was when Tomlin took the penalty.

Agreed, but we were playing 4-4-2, with both our central midfielders playing in a holding position. That's a tactical risk rather than player ineptitude. If instead we were in a 4-2-3-1 formation, an attacking midfielder would have tried to have closed him down, and Hegeler and Brownhill would have been in position to help out.

I don't understand what you mean by midfield cover though, it was a ball over the top that caught out our central defender's positioning. That's his ball to deal with, not the midfielder's. Giefer I agree with, but blah blah needs more than two games blah.

1 minute ago, hodge said:

Agree with Johnson's comments after the game, don't think Giefer could have come and claimed the ball for the first goal, probably would have got there at a similar time to Reach or a bit later, staying in his goal was the right choice.

Thought I  saw it at the time and was right, just how far off his line Westwood was when Tomlin took the penalty.

Very true. I think some goalkeepers are taking advantage again of the fact that virtually no referees enforce this rule. Obviously it's natural for them to jump forward a bit, but that was ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

Brownhill should have been screaming for that ball from Hegeler...instead he went inside and got intercepted. Golbourne slipped...I'll forgive him that. But look at Little jauntering back...his man has gone inside and could have easily been another option for scoring.

I have only two concerns now for this season...our full back positions. Golbourne and Little are far too weak in this league to play week in week out with consistency. The amount of room Little gives opponents, I've seen similar with Flat sizes in London.

You are correct but the gap between the guy with the ball for the first goal was unbelievable and then just as he floats his hopeful all 3 central midfielders decide to close him down and all of them were at least 20 metres away, result of that indiscipline is our whole midfield is taken out of the equation.

For the 2nd goal Brownhill expression of youth also meant that once Hegeler's pass was intercepted once more our midfield has been completely by passed, we have to be far better drilled and disciplined in midfield.

Also Gary Owers made the point last night, the midfielders 'union' always say that the sideways pass is almost always the most dangerous because if it's intercepted the opponents have already by passed your midfield.

5 minutes ago, hodge said:

I thought that he just wasn't strong enough, he needed to be stronger for me.

47 minutes ago, spudski said:

Looks to me like Hegeler could have done a bit more to get back too. Maybe that's as fast as he can run but a slide in front of the shot might have got something on it and Flint was covering so he oughtn't to have been sent off if he happened to catch their man.

Easy for me to say that from the comfort of my office chair, mind.

Archived