IGNORED

Players Crossing the Divide

bcfcredandwhite

I don't blame the gasheads for being upset at one of their key players leaving them to sign for their bitter rivals tbh - I would feel the same way if it were the other way around - only it never has been as far as I can remember!

When has an important 1st team player ever left us to go to play for the Gas? I can't think of it ever happening. The players who have made that journey have been bit-part in the main - has-beens, second-choices and benchwarmers. 

Can anyone remember any different?

36 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I don't blame the gasheads for being upset at one of their key players leaving them to sign for their bitter rivals tbh - I would feel the same way if it were the other way around - only it never has been as far as I can remember!

When has an important 1st team player ever left us to go to play for the Gas? I can't think of it ever happening. The players who have made that journey have been bit-part in the main - has-beens, second-choices and benchwarmers. 

Can anyone remember any different?

I totally agree.

If the SAGS staged a photo shoot with Lee Tomlin, who they had just signed on a free transfer I would be 'as angry as hell'.

It's about as likely as me going to watch Trainspotting 2 with Dollymarie AND Victoria Principle, and them buying my ticket AND fish & chips afterwards.

...... that's pretty ****** unlikely.

tfj

One we weren't so clever about in hindsight was Jason Roberts. Fairly sure he came here for a extremely short time on loan (a couple of games), we didn't play him and he went on to our not so illustrious neighbours and proved to do rather well. If my rather poor memory serves me right he got funny because we had him on the bench and not starting.

2 minutes ago, silvershelf said:

One we weren't so clever about in hindsight was Jason Roberts. Fairly sure he came here for a extremely short time on loan (a couple of games), we didn't play him and he went on to our not so illustrious neighbours and proved to do rather well. If my rather poor memory serves me right he got funny because we had him on the bench and not starting.

Fair enough - good point.

But that's the only time in 120 years City have screwed up in the transfer market.

One mistake in 120 years - that's a pretty good record .............

tfj

I know that Marcus Stewart and Marcus Browning were both lifelong City fans - they both attended Hartcliffe School. John Ward was managing the Gas at that time and was always coming to the school. We could probably have had both of them if Joe Jordan had looked locally. Not sure if either of the players ever attempted to approach AG. I know we ended up with Stewart, but that was after his legs had gone.

44 minutes ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

OK.

We screwed up with Stewart too.

But him and Roberts are the only two.

You won't be able to name any more.

tfj

But apart from Stewart, Roberts, sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order - what have we ever given the Rovers? 

7 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

If memory serves me correctly, Don Gillies, Ray Cashley, Trevor Jacobs all crossed the river the other way, and I believe Tony Ford may have too, but this was a good few years back and I'm not 100% sure.

You are right, plus Terry Cooper who then went on to become their player manager then after being surprisingly sacked became our player manager.

Keith Curle made the switch the other way, although it might have not been directly from Rovers I'm not sure. But we signed him as a winger and Cooper converted him into a centre back worth ten times what we paid for him who would later go on to play for England.

Players who I think played for both City & Rovers

1.    Peter Hooper (2 February 1933 – 13 August 2011) was a professional footballer, who played for Bristol Rovers, Cardiff City and Bristol City in the Football League.

2.       Johnny Watkins played locally for Portway School, Bristol Boys and Coombe Dingle Boys Club in Bristol. He then joined Clifton St Vincents in the Downs League in Bristol.[2] Pat Beasley signed Johnny Watkins in June 1951 for Bristol City. In February 1961 Watkins moved from Cardiff City to Bristol Rovers in a swap deal for Dai Ward.[2] 

3.    Tony Ford (footballer, born 1944), former English football player and manager, played for both Bristol clubs, managed Hereford and Hearts

4.    Peter Gerald Aitken (born 30 June 1954 in Penarth, Glamorgan) is a Welsh former footballer who played nearly 300 games in the Football League.

Aitken began his career as an apprentice with Bristol Rovers, making his debut in the 1972–73 season. He joined local rivals Bristol City in 1980,

1978–1980

Bristol City

(0)

1980–1981

Bristol Rovers

(0)

5.       Terence "Terry" Cooper (born 12 July 1944) is an English former football player and manager

6.       Keith Curle (born 14 November 1963) is an English former professional footballer. City youth team then played for Bristol Rovers, Torquay United, Bristol City,

Others include  Don Gillies, Ray Cashley, Trevor Jacobs, Danny Coles, Steve Phillips, Marcos Stewart, David Clarkson

There may have been others ……. Not a BIG Deal if they were surplus to us !!!! 

2 minutes ago, flipflopcity said:

1.    Peter Hooper (2 February 1933 – 13 August 2011) was a professional footballer, who played for Bristol Rovers, Cardiff City and Bristol City in the Football League.

2.       Johnny Watkins played locally for Portway School, Bristol Boys and Coombe Dingle Boys Club in Bristol. He then joined Clifton St Vincents in the Downs League in Bristol.[2] Pat Beasley signed Johnny Watkins in June 1951 for Bristol City. In February 1961 Watkins moved from Cardiff City to Bristol Rovers in a swap deal for Dai Ward.[2] 

Tony Ford may refer to:

3.    Tony Ford (footballer, born 1944), former English football player and manager, played for both Bristol clubs, managed Hereford and Hearts

4.    Peter Gerald Aitken (born 30 June 1954 in Penarth, Glamorgan) is a Welsh former footballer who played nearly 300 games in the Football League.

Aitken began his career as an apprentice with Bristol Rovers, making his debut in the 1972–73 season. He joined local rivals Bristol City in 1980,

1978–1980

Bristol City

(0)

1980–1981

Bristol Rovers

(0)

5.       Terence "Terry" Cooper (born 12 July 1944) is an English former football player and manager

6.       Keith Curle (born 14 November 1963) is an English former professional footballer. City youth team then played for Bristol Rovers, Torquay United, Bristol City,

Others include  Don Gillies, Ray Cashley, Trevor Jacobs, Danny Coles, Steve Phillips, Marcos Stewart, David Clarkson

There may have been others …….

Definitely got too much time on yor hands :whistle:

3 minutes ago, flipflopcity said:

Tony Ford may refer to:

1978–1980

Bristol City

(0)

1980–1981

Bristol Rovers

(0)

There may have been others …….

Plenty of others....

Tim Carter, Paul Heffernan, Aiden McCafferey, Gavin Williams, that centre half with long hair Christian something..

1.    Peter Hooper (2 February 1933 – 13 August 2011) was a professional footballer, who played for Bristol Rovers, Cardiff City and Bristol City in the Football League.

BEST Penalty taker IMO of all Time... I have never seen anyone hit a Football as hard and as fast from the penalty spot live or on TV , I would like to know if anyone ever recorded the speed of the ball. 

• Admin
7 minutes ago, oldrosie said:

John Atyeo, Harold Jarman, Alfie Biggs, Wedlock, Ivor Guy ... these were characters who knew what Bristol was all about ... Of more interest, why were City the only Championship club to express an interest in whatever the greedy bast88d is called??

Probably not the only one to enquire, but agree something odd we're the only team that bid for him

4 hours ago, Hellfire Corner said:

But apart from Stewart, Roberts, sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order - what have we ever given the Rovers? 

Can we STAMP OUT this use of non-standard OTIB type face before it gets out of hand please moderators?

How can people be so up themselves?

Jeremy Corbyn would not tolerate it in his shadow cabinet, so why should it be acceptable here?

Cut it out, dirty birds - it's not big or clever.

:bruce_h4h:

tfj

Archived