IGNORED

Ashton gate 8

Dollymarie

2 hours ago, The Journalist said:

These weren't eight players who had a dream - these were eight players who lived out a nightmare.

Thank goodness they did, for our benefit, but let's not forget the truth behind the Ashton Gate Eight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38750475

Have to say that I think that article is pretty poor.

I completely accept that the players were shafted and certainly for the six of them (not Aitken or Marshall) who had been with us for many years they deserved far, far better.

However this article claims in it they were treated as villains, what bollocks, no-one thought that. 

Pethaps there were a few idiots giving them grief in those pre internet days but those would have been very few.

Perhaps "Josh" who wrote this (and sounds to me to be about 20) needed to do a little bit more research?

31 minutes ago, Psycho Glenn said:

I think it was called the Dragonara Hotel, which ironically was where Bob Houghton allegedly ran up huge bills living a champagne lifestyle, at the expense of the club, while living there during his tenure.

Now a Hilton I think, next to St. Mary Redcliffe. I expect the champers was needed to help him sleep as the traffic rumbled over the old flyover! 

37 minutes ago, Psycho Glenn said:

I think it was called the Dragonara Hotel, which ironically was where Bob Houghton allegedly ran up huge bills living a champagne lifestyle, at the expense of the club, while living there during his tenure.

Dragonara it was, and City must have used it a fair bit.

My Mum & Dad bought me some shares in BCFC and I remember going to the Shareholders AGM there in about 1979.

I think it was Newport away (night game?) when we went to the game not knowing if there was ever going to be another Bristol City match to go to. The Newport fans were singing "Your going bust in the morning". Taunting us.

Really dark days, but the spirit in the club and amongst the fans was 2nd to none! People who complain on here currently, just don't know how bad it was in those days. Truly worrying days.

I think the adulation they get from certain sections of the fan base is unwarranted.  This is a group of players of whom 6 had been an integral part of 2 relegations with a third one looming large.

They were bleeding the club dry whilst dragging us down the leagues.  Its not their fault that they were on long overpaid contracts, but it was telling that most of them struggled to find a club of any great standing after they left.  That is why the accountants forced them to leave.  If a similar situation had happened in these days of football forums and social media (ie the last 10-20) years they would have been given almighty grief for their bloated contracts and sub-standard performances.  I blame the media who drip fed us a sob story for the fact that they were seen as "heroes"

The fact that they are sung about as "8 men had a dream" is laughable.  I'm sure anyone who sings that never saw Julian Marshall play!

Having said that they all seem great blokes who were victims of circumstance. The 6 who played for us in the 1st Division are legends for what they achieved in the 70s, but by 1982 they were all washed up.

1 hour ago, GasDestroyer said:

I think it was Newport away (night game?) when we went to the game not knowing if there was ever going to be another Bristol City match to go to. The Newport fans were singing "Your going bust in the morning". Taunting us.

Really dark days, but the spirit in the club and amongst the fans was 2nd to none! People who complain on here currently, just don't know how bad it was in those days. Truly worrying days.

I remember that game but sure it was a Saturday not knowing if it would be our last game. also all the stickers around at the time I had one in my mini driving round Wells/Glastonbury saying something like 'support city now or never'

4 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

The SC&T have started the discussions about having the plaque moved somewhere more prominent now that the redevelopment is all but finished, and that the players are now using a different entrance. Especially needed if the away end is to at some point become entirely for away fans. 

IMG_0808.JPG

Wow, shamefully didn't know this existed as alas don't get to AG much. Terrific. 

3 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

I think the adulation they get from certain sections of the fan base is unwarranted.  This is a group of players of whom 6 had been an integral part of 2 relegations with a third one looming large.

They were bleeding the club dry whilst dragging us down the leagues.  Its not their fault that they were on long overpaid contracts, but it was telling that most of them struggled to find a club of any great standing after they left.  That is why the accountants forced them to leave.  If a similar situation had happened in these days of football forums and social media (ie the last 10-20) years they would have been given almighty grief for their bloated contracts and sub-standard performances.  I blame the media who drip fed us a sob story for the fact that they were seen as "heroes"

The fact that they are sung about as "8 men had a dream" is laughable.  I'm sure anyone who sings that never saw Julian Marshall play!

Having said that they all seem great blokes who were victims of circumstance. The 6 who played for us in the 1st Division are legends for what they achieved in the 70s, but by 1982 they were all washed up.

This is all so painfully true, as you state the majority couldn't find clubs after leaving us and had played an integral part in our descent. It all started with the panic caused by Gary Collier leaving. We should have just joined in and enticed other excellent out of contract players to join us instead of signing players who were nearing the end of their shelf life to ludicrously long contracts.

7 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Pity that the top photo is that piece isn't Merrick (as claimed) but Brian Drysdale

7 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Good spot, thanks.

Hey Journo. Has something been changed. The top photo is now the 75/76/77 team. Brian (top bloke) is sitting next to Geoff M in the middle?

Keith Fear is missing For the record

Dark days and I remember them well. The contracts were very questionable when issued as the club desperately needed an injection of younger players, as the core of the side had been together for a long time. Whatever, we owe a debt to the AG8, and what followed were some of the best years watching City. A real sense of unity between club and fans, exciting football under TC, culminating in a trip to Wembley. And don't forget us fans who chipped in whatever we could to make the share issue happen.

8 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Hey Journo. Has something been changed. The top photo is now the 75/76/77 team. Brian (top bloke) is sitting next to Geoff M in the middle?

Keith Fear is missing For the record

looks like the photo has changed. The original showed a 50;50 tussle between Speedy and Supermac. Now it's a squad photo. 

The dream reference is probably inaccurate but a dream was created or at the very least kept going by their actions. I for one have had many great days that I often dream about. I would not have had this had it not been for those 8 and the others involved. It's a small amount of artistic license that fits the song and hopefully doesn't offend. I bet if you asked those players back then what they thought the club would look like in 35 years they would have only dreamt of this.

Thank you to those involved and to those who have kept us going strong ever since

I don't think it was the players who were dreaming at that time, but more likely some other club officials. Perhaps it refers to the Eight dreaming of what used to be or whether they would ever get recompense.

I think it would be more appropriate to say:

'The Ashton Gate Eight - forever in your debt.'

23 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Was waiting outside the Enclosure that morning.

Straight in the Wedlock's for a celebratory pint when the good news came through. :city:

Alot of credit for the club surviving must go to the tireless efforts of Derryn Coller and Ken Sage.

Arhhhh the Enclosure... Left side as you look out onto the pitch tucked into the back corner just below the Williams... That was my little spot. Great group of guys, young and old. Used to stand in there including my Dad and my Bro and anybody else we could drag along including Mum occasionally.

22 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I'm ill at ease with this ' had a dream ' angle it just smacks of marketing bullshit .

Eight honest men got royally shafted would be more accurate.

A badly run club on it's knees tells eight employees to tear up their contracts to save the Directors bacon, hardly à Bloody dream ! 

And after all that the Club relaunched itself .

There is nothing glorious in this story it is shameful .  

IMHO  

22 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Not much of a dream, more of a nightmare for them left with little or no option !

True guys but the 8 i believe did turn up to that bash. I am not saying that means they endorsed the 'they had a dream' line but it does mean that they all, to a man, loved the club and knew the implications if they did not agree. Yes, between a rock and a hard place and yes they were treated badly by many in the build up to their decision but deep down they know now that everyone was extremely emotional. They also know we will be forever in their debt. The love runs very deep. Just reading those names out now to myself brings emotion to the very fore.

5 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

looks like the photo has changed. The original showed a 50;50 tussle between Speedy and Supermac. Now it's a squad photo. 

Exactly. But Keith Fear is still missing from the photo...If speedy is in it then Keith should be....However I have a feeling Keith was ill and missed the team photo...Not bad for a bloke who can't remember why he walked into the kitchen!

:blink:

Archived