IGNORED

Ashton gate 8

Dollymarie

1 hour ago, Dollymarie said:

As there isn't a thread about this yet, I thought I'd start one. 

It's 35 years this week since the Ashton Gate Eight players ripped up their contracts and saved our club. 

Gerry Sweeney, Dave Rodgers, Peter Aitken, Geoff Merrick, Chris Garland, Trevor Tainton, Jimmy Mann and Julian Marshall. 

8 names we should never forget 

IMG_0807.JPG

Many thanks for bringing this up DM - a momentous occasion that should be noted at every anniversary. Just a small point of order though, the Supporters Trust has always said the anniversary is February 2nd ?!

http://www.bristolcityst.org.uk/trust_news/article000233.shtml

Nevertheless, that day and those eight guys will forever live with us - they will always deserve our gratitude....

18 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Many thanks for bringing this up DM - a momentous occasion that should be noted at every anniversary. Just a small point of order though, the Supporters Trust has always said the anniversary is February 2nd ?!

http://www.bristolcityst.org.uk/trust_news/article000233.shtml

Nevertheless, that day and those eight guys will forever live with us - they will always deserve our gratitude....

Yep, you're right it was the 2nd. I shall edit the title. 

24 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I might be wrong but I am pretty sure Gow and Ritchie were sold for their value a year plus earlier not long after we dropped out of the top division. The 1982 biz occurred when we were midway through Division 3.

Autumn 1980; Gerry Gow was transferred to Manchester City for £180,000 to raise some capital. At the end of the season, he played in the F.A. Cup final for his new team  Despite all the expense of his schooling, Shaun Penny was released without ever becoming a first team regular and moved to Eastville. In the New Year, Sunderland stepped in to buy Tom Ritchie. His final game for the club was in a cup replay against Carlisle. He played his heart out and scored twice in a 5-0 romp.

February 1982 at 11.55a.m. the players, collectively known as the "Ashton Eight",  put the club first and tore up their contracts. Chris Garland went to Hong Kong, Jimmy Mann moved to Scunthorpe, Ray Cashley crossed town to join Rovers and teamed up with Don Gillies who had moved there the previous season. Clive Whitehead had been playing in the reserves because the club could not afford the win bonus if he was in the first team. West Brom snapped him up for £100,000, a fraction of his true worth.

Cashley, Gillies & Penney went the gas and we didn't complain, threaten violence, or anything else. City fans accepted it and got on with life.

37 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I might be wrong but I am pretty sure Gow and Ritchie were sold for their value a year plus earlier not long after we dropped out of the top division. The 1982 biz occurred when we were midway through Division 3.

We were already in serious trouble and those three had to be sold to pay the wages up until the end as the remaining players had limited sale value (why they were never sold)

Quote from GG below.

Gerry said: “I had to be sold along with Tom Ritchie and Clive Whitehead or the club would have gone completely. I’m still surprised that people remember”.

55 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Quite agree as Major Isewater and Slartibartfast have stated in no way did these players have a dream to save our football team they had a ruddy nightmare. I actually find the song disrespectful because it never happened that way. Of course the players should be applauded for tearing up their contracts, although they were caught between the Devil and the deep blue sea, but not one of them would have been happy about it and would not have done so had there been an alternative where they could have still received a fair bit of what their contract was worth.

This.

I believe the PFA were involved and advised the players to take a pittance or nothing at all so hardly "a dream".

Don't get me wrong, a contract should be a contract and the club was daft enough to put long term lucrative deals in front of the players they are hardly going to refuse them. This of course arising after Gary Collier left us.

They were all good players so baffling we were where we were with 8 top flight players on our books at the time isn't it.

BTW I hate that ******* song as its inaccurate.

1 minute ago, East End Old Boy said:

I thought that's just what Matt Taylor's done :whistle:

Well it would be factually correct to say that he signed a new contract with Rovers to earn them some money rather than none had he gone to Oxford in the summer.Perhaps they should sing a nice song about him.

7 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

These weren't eight players who had a dream - these were eight players who lived out a nightmare.

Thank goodness they did, for our benefit, but let's not forget the truth behind the Ashton Gate Eight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38750475

Pity that the top photo is that piece isn't Merrick (as claimed) but Brian Drysdale

The SC&T have started the discussions about having the plaque moved somewhere more prominent now that the redevelopment is all but finished, and that the players are now using a different entrance. Especially needed if the away end is to at some point become entirely for away fans. 

IMG_0808.JPG

27 minutes ago, extonsred said:

This story could actually make a great film - n if takes off could profit share amongst all the heroes.

Loads of personal stories drama and suspense. Sure Tony Robinson must have some good contacts.

Great idea,get spielberg to produce it get dolph lundren to play david rodgers and brad pitt as merrick.

They would have to change the story a little for box office,maybe the 8 would get there money back from some kind of elaborate heist on the fa hq or something?

2 hours ago, Super said:

Slightly before my time what did Beryl do mate?

As @slartibartfasthas summarised above Super

Looked after the younger lads on away trips , sorted out tickets for everyone , did laundry etc etc helped players in lots of ways , and literally sweated blood for the club - She was brilliant 

As I recall, the disaster came about when the players' rights were recognised and the unfair implementations of contracts became illegal. Before then, a player would have been bound by a contract but their registration 'retained' when that contract lapsed - meaning they were effectively tied without ability to go where they liked. This had to end, and in response clubs started offering contracts of many years in length; in the case of Gary Collier (one of our own) he was offered and penned an eleven year contract to keep him at City for his best years. That forced clubs into financial commitments that risked all - and City's woes are a clear example of what could, and did, go wrong.

Yes, there is a distinct 'flavour' about the heroification of the Ashton Gate Eight and not a pleasant one perhaps, but the facts remain that they could have chosen not to walk away. They had a little more than Hobson's Choice in a sense, but they swallowed bitter pills to save the club - the same club that had given them professional football but then kicked them out.

12 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

As I recall, the disaster came about when the players' rights were recognised and the unfair implementations of contracts became illegal. Before then, a player would have been bound by a contract but their registration 'retained' when that contract lapsed - meaning they were effectively tied without ability to go where they liked. This had to end, and in response clubs started offering contracts of many years in length; in the case of Gary Collier (one of our own) he was offered and penned an eleven year contract to keep him at City for his best years. That forced clubs into financial commitments that risked all - and City's woes are a clear example of what could, and did, go wrong.

Yes, there is a distinct 'flavour' about the heroification of the Ashton Gate Eight and not a pleasant one perhaps, but the facts remain that they could have chosen not to walk away. They had a little more than Hobson's Choice in a sense, but they swallowed bitter pills to save the club - the same club that had given them professional football but then kicked them out.

You have put the circs well but it was Gary Collier who was the first to take advantage of the freedom of contract and joined Coventry and in response to that City dished out long contracts to tie the players to City... Including giving an 11 year one to Clive Whitehead.

24 minutes ago, bobby kellard was go said:

Great idea,get spielberg to produce it get dolph lundren to play david rodgers and brad pitt as merrick.

They would have to change the story a little for box office,maybe the 8 would get there money back from some kind of elaborate heist on the fa hq or something?

I'm liking this. Owen Wilson is Bobbie Houghton; Eddie Redmayne is Glyn Riley; the bloke who played Norris in Coronation Street is Roy Hodgson; Keira Knightley is Beryl Fudge; Ewen McGregor is Jimmy Mann; stunts arranged by Norman Hunter; wrap party arranged by Jody Morris.

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm liking this. Owen Wilson is Bobbie Houghton; Eddie Redmayne is Glyn Riley; the bloke who played Norris in Coronation Street is Roy Hodgson; Keira Knightley is Beryl Fudge; Ewen McGregor is Jimmy Mann; stunts arranged by Norman Hunter; wrap party arranged by Jody Morris.

Robert DeNiro as Trevor Tainton, Jim Carey as Julian Marshall and Dustin Hoffman as Gordon Taylor. Problem is it won't get made in Hollywood at present as there will be no roles for black actors.

22 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

You have put the circs well but it was Gary Collier who was the first to take advantage of the freedom of contract and joined Coventry and in response to that City dished out long contracts to tie the players to City... Including giving an 11 year one to Clive Whitehead.

Ah, that has refreshed my memory. I knew I was close, thanks guv'nor.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

As @slartibartfasthas summarised above Super

Looked after the younger lads on away trips , sorted out tickets for everyone , did laundry etc etc helped players in lots of ways , and literally sweated blood for the club - She was brilliant 

Thanks mate. Sounds like a real star.

46 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Robert DeNiro as Trevor Tainton, Jim Carey as Julian Marshall and Dustin Hoffman as Gordon Taylor. Problem is it won't get made in Hollywood at present as there will be no roles for black actors.

A spectacularly miscast Eddie Murphy as Pertti Jantunen? 

4 hours ago, COACH2 said:

I was working at Temple Gate house at the bottom of Temple Meads incline.  The deal was done and a press conference was held in a hotel just round the corner (can't remember the name), I went to the hotel and got talking to Trevor Taintons wife, she said a press conference was being held in one of the rooms but was too nervous to go in, so we walked in together, listened to the conference and got interviewed by ITV.  

Thank you Gerry Sweeney,  Dave Rodgers, Peter Aitken, Geoff Merrick, Chris Garland, Trevor Tainton, Jimmy Mann and Julian Marshall.

I think it was called the Dragonara Hotel, which ironically was where Bob Houghton allegedly ran up huge bills living a champagne lifestyle, at the expense of the club, while living there during his tenure.

I read the article.

I will admit I am coming at it from a bit of a position of ignorance here but what in last 35 years have the club done for those 8? And I mean the club not the fans, the supporters club, or Trust but the club.

This isn't a dig but a real and genuine question. 

It also said in piece not just those 8 but we had lived beyond our means in general for years.

Archived