IGNORED

What a ridiculous starting line up

tinman85

2 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

We should beat Rotherham with our youth team. So this thread won't turn into a classic. 3.5.2 is our best formation. Where on earth is Mags? 

Seriously, our youth team? They may be a poor side but that statement is ridiculous.

1 minute ago, tinman85 said:

We should beat Rotherham with our youth team. So this thread won't turn into a classic. 3.5.2 is our best formation. Where on earth is Mags? 

A few points;

- Only team we've beaten playing 352 this season was Fleetwood, and it took two attempts.

- Our youth team?  Rotherham have more points than we do over the last nine games, so let's not butter our own arse too much, eh?

- And I like Mags too, but we won our first league point since early Dec on Tuesday without him, so I can see the logic of him missing out here.

Realise you're not a fan of LJ, and I'm a firm sceptic now too; but there is nothing wrong with that team.  

LJ has to win or he's got to leave; if I was in the same position, I'd play the same team.

5 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Covering your bases there. If we could beat them with our youth team - as you say - play our fking youth team and save our best for the hard games coming up. 

Based upon that singular statement how can you possibly conclude ANY lineup be ridiculous?

Put the spade down. 

2 minutes ago, Cider_boy said:

Mags isn't injured, someone asked him on Twitter on Tuesday and he said that he wasn't.

Doesn't come across as someone who'd have an argument with anyone either, hopefully we'll see him back in soon.

Exactly my thinking, seems a real professional and team player even tweeting his support on the bench against Wednesday. 

Have to agree with OP. Not playing two strikers against worst defence in the league just smacks of a lack of ambition. I hope I'm wrong but too often we've seen Tammy feed off scraps using this system. We were much better on Tuesday with 442. Feel like LJ is just being belligerent now when it comes to playing a lone striker.

5 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

It's the same team bar a couple of minor changes that put in a very good performance on Tuesday. Why is it ridiculous? 

Just now, ploppy said:

Have to agree with OP. Not playing two strikers against worst defence in the league just smacks of a lack of ambition. I hope I'm wrong but too often we've seen Tammy feed off scraps using this system. We were much better on Tuesday with 442. Feel like LJ is just being belligerent now when it comes to playing a lone striker.

Why does it? We've created more chances than any team in the league and been playing one striker in almost any game. 

More strikers does not not equal more goals, per se. 

1 minute ago, ploppy said:

And how do you accommodate LT without leaving yourself exposed in midfield?

3 minutes ago, ploppy said:

Let's see what happens in about 2 hours 

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Why does it? We've created more chances than any team in the league and been playing one striker in almost any game. 

Noted but you must admit that the Sheff Wed back line looked much more uncomfortable with Djuric on the pitch. Rotherham will likely be playing with defensive tactics and I feel a lone striker will play into their hands. Just my opinion but I hope I am wrong. More than happy to look like an idiot online if it means we win!

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Precisely - it's not like certain areas of the pitch are only available to strikers. And we have wingers, AND Tomlin has space to try and work magic now. 

2 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Precisely - it's not like certain areas of the pitch are only available to strikers. And we have wingers, AND Tomlin has space to try and work magic now. 

You make a fair point but the amount of times that we have nobody in the box in dangerous positions tends to suggest that the attacking midfielders don't bomb forward as much as we need when playing 451. Often Tammy becomes isolated and we play sideways passes behind him. Alternatively we play balls into him but he gets crowded out as he has no support as the midfield don't come in close enough to him.

1 minute ago, ploppy said:

You make a fair point but the amount of times that we have nobody in the box in dangerous positions tends to suggest that the attacking midfielders don't bomb forward as much as we need when playing 451. Often Tammy becomes isolated and we play sideways passes behind him. Alternatively we play balls into him but he gets crowded out as he has no support as the midfield don't come in close enough to him.

Fair point. I'm hoping this lineup actually puts Tomlin closer to Tammy, playing basically in the hole. Also I'm hoping that Cotterill will have more of an attacking instinct than Freeman did. 

5 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

As long as Tomlin is pushed up close to Tammy through the centre, this formation is fine!!! 

and with Tomlin realising he needs to be more attacking, taking people on rather than playing the easy sideways pass, perhaps he will make more of a difference now.

Just now, Cider_boy said:

and with Tomlin realising he needs to be more attacking, taking people on rather than playing the easy sideways pass, perhaps he will make more of a difference now.

Exactly. We need him picking the ball up in the final third and driving into the penalty area. He wins pens when he does that, as most Championship defenders are scared to death of him running at them in the box. 

14 minutes ago, ploppy said:

Noted but you must admit that the Sheff Wed back line looked much more uncomfortable with Djuric on the pitch. Rotherham will likely be playing with defensive tactics and I feel a lone striker will play into their hands. Just my opinion but I hope I am wrong. More than happy to look like an idiot online if it means we win!

Absolutely - there's multiple permutations to cause Rotherham trouble but to brandish an almost unchanged line up from a good performance (when we've been crying out for more stability in the team) as 'ridiculous', is, well.....ridiculous. 

26 minutes ago, samo II said:

A few points;

- Only team we've beaten playing 352 this season was Fleetwood, and it took two attempts.

- Our youth team?  Rotherham have more points than we do over the last nine games, so let's not butter our own arse too much, eh?

- And I like Mags too, but we won our first league point since early Dec on Tuesday without him, so I can see the logic of him missing out here.

Realise you're not a fan of LJ, and I'm a firm sceptic now too; but there is nothing wrong with that team.  

LJ has to win or he's got to leave; if I was in the same position, I'd play the same team.

Good points well made but 4-4-2 hasn't been particularly prolific either, I can see both sides of the argument but I still believe maybe a little too negative against the bottom of the league, but hey it's his choice and he will have to stand or fall by the result of this one.

3 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Good points well made but 4-4-2 hasn't been particularly prolific either, I can see both sides of the argument but I still believe maybe a little too negative against the bottom of the league, but hey it's his choice and he will have to stand or fall by the result of this one.

A system that lets us play Tomlin centrally and also Cotts and Bryan wide is one worth sacrificing a forward for - I'm more concerned with supplying our proven striker in Tammy than loading the front line with players.

As you say; playing 442 has often ended up with us not actually generating that many more chances, so if having Hegeler and Pack supporting Flint and Wright means Golbourne and Little can get up and add something to the attack, I'm happy.

I'd rather we played like this and avoided conceding than had to claw back goals - we were all over Rotherham at their place, and yet had to come back from two nil down, let us not forget.

Really want to see us get an early goal; fancy Cotts to nick one and show that all the focus on Taylor this week had been misplaced; think DC was a a very smart signing.

Just thought people should view this topic with the benefit of hindsight. The vast majority of posters on this thread were very much in support of LJ's team selection yet I've seen a number of posters today slating his starting 11. Whatever you say about his lineup, it was very much approved at the time.

26 minutes ago, ploppy said:

Just thought people should view this topic with the benefit of hindsight. The vast majority of posters on this thread were very much in support of LJ's team selection yet I've seen a number of posters today slating his starting 11. Whatever you say about his lineup, it was very much approved at the time.

Well said. 

49 minutes ago, ploppy said:

By how many? The few people who posted on this thread?  People said a few hundred voting LJ should go in a poll on here wasn't representative . All I  know is that many people I know in the Atyeo couldn't understand him setting us up like an away side against a team with one of the worst away records ever in the division.

I would contend that most did not approve.

22 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

By how many? The few people who posted on this thread?  People said a few hundred voting LJ should go in a poll on here wasn't representative . All I  know is that many people I know in the Atyeo couldn't understand him setting us up like an away side against a team with one of the worst away records ever in the division.

I would contend that most did not approve.

Same with the people that sit around me in the SS. We were all looking forward to going down to the Gate and fairly confident we'd get a win..granted we did(just) but seeing the teamsheet didn't half take the confidence/optimism out of it and we all predicted it wouldn't be a good game with very few chances created. Agreed with what another poster said earlier on, Tammy upfront by himself does not work! I really do think LJ panicked when he realised it wasn't working, hence why he made 3 subs at 63mins..luckily it did pay off. Does make me mega nervous going in to the next 4 games though. 

Archived