IGNORED

What a ridiculous starting line up

tinman85

On 04/02/2017 at 15:50, ploppy said:

This first half has confirmed my fears. Abraham up front on his own does not work. No matter how many times people try to dress it up. Simplify the tactics and play two strikers! How hard is it??

Very hard it seems - when you are trying to accommodate Tomlin as well.  That's the conundrum - or 'problem', think conundrum is a better choice.

3 hours ago, ploppy said:

Just thought people should view this topic with the benefit of hindsight. The vast majority of posters on this thread were very much in support of LJ's team selection yet I've seen a number of posters today slating his starting 11. Whatever you say about his lineup, it was very much approved at the time.

I went for the 4411 ore-match, with my closest guess of the line-up all season.  I got 9/11.  I thought Vyner instead of Litts and I kept Josh instead of Marlon.  Going into the game I was happy with the selection.

Unfortunately, two key players under-performed, Tammy (allowed a poor game) and Tomlin.  Another key player was quieter - Hegeler, and two other less-key - Golbourne and Little didn't hit the mark.  So 5 out of 11, didn't play near their best, or even near their average in some cases.

I'm not one to defend LJ since Xmas, but he must've been tearing his hair out with so many below-par performances.

So I certainly won't say he got his line-up wrong.  I think Tuesday he did, starting Tomlin in front of Little who had to mark Reach, a very tidy left sided player.  But he changed that after a while.

Sonetimes a game doesn't pan out the way you want.

My only defence of LJ at the mo' is that he'll learn quickly and work out his problems before it's too late.  Maybe if he can get through this he'll blossom.  I'd prefer someone else to be steering the ship, but I'll still give the whole club my backing.  That's not to say I won't challenge though!

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Very hard it seems - when you are trying to accommodate Tomlin as well.  That's the conundrum - or 'problem', think conundrum is a better choice.

I went for the 4411 ore-match, with my closest guess of the line-up all season.  I got 9/11.  I thought Vyner instead of Litts and I kept Josh instead of Marlon.  Going into the game I was happy with the selection.

Unfortunately, two key players under-performed, Tammy (allowed a poor game) and Tomlin.  Another key player was quieter - Hegeler, and two other less-key - Golbourne and Little didn't hit the mark.  So 5 out of 11, didn't play near their best, or even near their average in some cases.

I'm not one to defend LJ since Xmas, but he must've been tearing his hair out with so many below-par performances.

So I certainly won't say he got his line-up wrong.  I think Tuesday he did, starting Tomlin in front of Little who had to mark Reach, a very tidy left sided player.  But he changed that after a while.

Sonetimes a game doesn't pan out the way you want.

My only defence of LJ at the mo' is that he'll learn quickly and work out his problems before it's too late.  Maybe if he can get through this he'll blossom.  I'd prefer someone else to be steering the ship, but I'll still give the whole club my backing.  That's not to say I won't challenge though!

why should he have to learn quickly? he was brought in to take us forward not serve his apprentiship

3 minutes ago, pillred said:

why should he have to learn quickly? he was brought in to take us forward not serve his apprentiship

Spot on.  That's my point.  It's like SL has handed over the keys to Marina's Rolls Royce to Lee, and he hasn't passed his test yet.  You can bet your bottom dollar he passed the theory too, and told SL all about the Highway Code.

His apprenticeship should e been served at Oldham or Barnsley.  So what if his destiny was here and it took 5 years to get him, getting him before he was ready was a huge gamble.

On 04/02/2017 at 15:58, tinman85 said:

Ahem. Think I was right. Believe me wish they had proven me wrong. Worst part was Johnson having a go at a fan in the crowd ala SC

Think it's fair to point out you were right on this but it's untrue that LJs arguing was similar to SC. I was sat next to the guy and it was pretty well mannered. 

Well done @tinman85. I'm not sure why you were criticised for disliking the starting line up, as the majority of fans have been saying for a long time that Tammy is not a target man. He needs to play with another forward. So what does LJ do? He pays £1.5m for Djuric and leaves him on the bench against the worst team in the league! Rotherham are not just a poor Championship team, they are a poor League 1 team. 

Archived